Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beta Testing and Its Disontents

Didn't want to dump this in the Drambo thread, but its eager arrival got me thinking about beta testing.

My big fear is that all the beta testers are the Super Power Users who demand protocols that exist almost only theoretically, and Drambo is like a dream for them. But they don't represent the average user, who is going to be baffled at all the infinite tweaking and not know how to make the thing make a usable sound.

Does anyone watch "Silicon Valley"?

Here's a fascinating piece about UX testing, based (a little too seriously if you ask me) on the failure of Pied Piper in "Silicon Valley."

Comments

• Don’t worry. You’re going to be okay.

• I think you are giving the testers too much credit, its the developer app and his or her vision. The beta testers are not really in control at all, I'm sure a few think they are Designing the app but its not really the case.

the issue with beta testers is very few people actually spend time to test, most people will get the beta and never actually do any testing. So you find a few people working on the betas who are known to respond with finding bugs and a few suggestions which the dev agrees with, these are the guys who end up testing In advance as the dev is familiar with their results. I don't get the people who like to post that they are testing this and that, that seems a bit weird to me and surely adds pressure in the dev.

In the end if the app isnt user friendly and over complicated then noone will buy it.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    I think you are giving the testers too much credit, its the developer app and his or her vision. The beta testers are not really in control at all, I'm sure a few think they are Designing the app but its not really the case.

I imagine beta testers to be like groupies or cultist devotes of the dev's charms and whims.

• @AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    I think you are giving the testers too much credit, its the developer app and his or her vision. The beta testers are not really in control at all, I'm sure a few think they are Designing the app but its not really the case.

I imagine beta testers to be like groupies or cultist devotes of the dev's charms and whims.

😂😭🤣😂🤣

• edited December 2019

Chill man, it’s cooking nicely. I guess every alpha/beta experience will be different. I am personally trying to suggest workflows that are useful from a performance point of view and know that some of my suggestions wouldn’t have crossed other people’s mind (I.e. adding odd time signatures or performance based midi implementation or shaping of the looper module).

I can’t physically test everything but bugs do crop up while messing around and I guess that’s the whole point. I test some 5 apps at the moment but I can honestly say that only 2 or 3 get beyond opening and closing on new built release.

It certainly isn’t a job I sit down for hours to do but the motivator for me is that on release I’ll get something that I’m likely to use and be able to be productive with.
    I think no matter how open minded a developer is it will always help having end users hands, eyes and ears to tune stuff up. Just my 2p.

BTW...Drambo kicks ass. There’s new modules dropping all the time and the sound is great. Greetings from the lab ;)

• There are definitely a few testers who are not power users and I certainly try to imagine what an ideal workflow would be like for a beginner. But at the same time, anything modular is going to have a higher barrier of entry. It looks like there are going to be presets and starters for people as well, but power and complexity tend to go hand in hand.