Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is the best sounding analog soft synth?

2»

Comments

• Late maybe but look at Mood by Apesoft. Sounds very analog to my ears.

• gonna join the choir on Diva. It's perhaps the best emulation of those classic studio analogs. Zeeon and Ripplemaker are the best analog approximations on ios imo. I owned a Prophet 6 and once I got zeeon and diva, I couldn't justify keeping it.

I'd add that Madrona Lab's Aalto is pretty fantastic as well. It's more inspired by the Buchla way of doing things, but really manages to capture something special and can sound very "analog"

VCV rack, mirack, Drambo (soon!) are some great modular options where you can literally build a polysynth that could rival a decent analog.

The arturia v collection and Omnisphere might be good options as well. I find these to feel a little bloated and prefer more streamlined synths that aren't pretending to be a 1:1 emulation of an existing analog. And they're expensive.. I still use them for sound design here and there, or for very specific sounds, but really prefer things that are more inviting (fun) to program. I'm tired of skeuomorphic panels with tiny knobs and sliders (like on the arturia CS-80) and hope that goofy trend dies eventually.

• @palms said:
    gonna join the choir on Diva. It's perhaps the best emulation of those classic studio analogs. Zeeon and Ripplemaker are the best analog approximations on ios imo. I owned a Prophet 6 and once I got zeeon and diva, I couldn't justify keeping it.

I'd add that Madrona Lab's Aalto is pretty fantastic as well. It's more inspired by the Buchla way of doing things, but really manages to capture something special and can sound very "analog"

VCV rack, mirack, Drambo (soon!) are some great modular options where you can literally build a polysynth that could rival a decent analog.

The arturia v collection and Omnisphere might be good options as well. I find these to feel a little bloated and prefer more streamlined synths that aren't pretending to be a 1:1 emulation of an existing analog. And they're expensive.. I still use them for sound design here and there, or for very specific sounds, but really prefer things that are more inviting (fun) to program. I'm tired of skeuomorphic panels with tiny knobs and sliders (like on the arturia CS-80) and hope that goofy trend dies eventually.

Thanks for the great info!! Can't believe I actually have Ripplemaker and Aalto and for some reason didn't even consider those in this category. Will have to take another listen. I do have to say that I love the Buchla "emulation" in the Arturia Collection. The only synths I wanted out of the collection were Pigments and the Buchla. Very interesting to hear about Diva and Zeeon taking the place of the Prophet 6!

• @bert said:
    Late maybe but look at Mood by Apesoft. Sounds very analog to my ears.

Thanks, will check it out!

• On ios, the best-sounding analog emulations to me are Moog Model D, Moog Model 15, and Zeeon.

• @gkillmaster said:

@palms said:
    gonna join the choir on Diva. It's perhaps the best emulation of those classic studio analogs. Zeeon and Ripplemaker are the best analog approximations on ios imo. I owned a Prophet 6 and once I got zeeon and diva, I couldn't justify keeping it.

Thanks for the great info!! Can't believe I actually have Ripplemaker and Aalto and for some reason didn't even consider those in this category. Will have to take another listen. I do have to say that I love the Buchla "emulation" in the Arturia Collection. The only synths I wanted out of the collection were Pigments and the Buchla. Very interesting to hear about Diva and Zeeon taking the place of the Prophet 6!

Just FYI, Pigments isn’t in the V Collection. It’s standalone only currently.

• Surprisingly not very popular, but the Pulsar 900 series modular is freakishly good at analog emulation on the desktop.

https://www.pulsarmodular.com/demo-download/

• Probably currently best sounding most spectrally rich and warm synth on iOS is ShockWave ... it's amazinng how powerfull leads and bases are going out of this little beast... they instatnly cut through any dense mix... it's magic...

• I don't have Shockwave atm, but these attributes fit perfectly the Gemini PD, my favourite synth (on a DSP desktop system) which also features the 2 osc phase distortion design.
    (don't google, it's vanished from the net)

On IOS DRC, Model 15, D and Zeeon do the classic job really well, but as soon as reverb and delay are added, the synth engine doesn't matter much anymore.

The PPG synths emulate early digital analog hybrids with an extremely smooth sound, in particular Infinity can do a lot in the Omnispere domain.
    Honorable mention for it's unique soundprint: Synclavier Go.

• edited December 2019

@gkillmaster said:
    Very interesting to hear about Diva and Zeeon taking the place of the Prophet 6!

well, to be fair.. as a lover of hardware.. I also got a Micromonsta, which is a truly incredible little thing. I had it side by side with my Prophet and was able to get it so that I couldn't tell which was which. And the Micromonsta can do so much more as far as mod matrix, wavetables, etc.. Although it's digital, it can really do the best of both worlds.

• Agree with @dendy Shockwave is a ultimate good synth, came as a late year surprise to me.

• edited December 2019

Another vote here for u-he diva.
    Softybe modular also sounds great but a cpu hog

@qryss said:
    Yep. Diva is amazing. I have Repro but haven’t really used it yet - just can’t get past Diva. :)

• From the above list, does anyone own Phonec2?

• @Artefact2001 said:
    From the above list, does anyone own Phonec2?

I have begged the Dev several times to come to iOS and he's open to the idea the more interest he hears.... please let him know on his Facebook page that you want it too if you do!!!

• On iOS: the Moogs, Mood, and for the 80s feeling: iMonopoly

• Monark modules in Reactor 6, hands down.

• edited December 2019

@ElectroHead said:

Monark modules in Reactor 6, hands down.

Legend > Monark B)

Synapse Audio is working on an OB-Xa now.

• edited December 2019

Model 15 from soft to pluck with aplomb great filter probably most like the Mother32 from my experience (which is limited :smile: )
    Viking Synth is waaaaaaaaaaay under-looked lots of timbres
    Poison 202 for the grit
    Korg ODYSSEi has so lots of what I consider what analog is

Gaaahhhh
    I can’t forget
    Ripplemaker brilliant

• edited February 2020

@brice said:
    Surprisingly not very popular, but the Pulsar 900 series modular is freakishly good at analog emulation on the desktop.

https://www.pulsarmodular.com/demo-download/

I agree, by far the best.......and good news might be that it´s looking better for an iOS port in a not so far future (as well as there will be an FX version as AU/VST from the amazing analog delay, plate reverb and saturation/output module and hopefully that find it´s way to iOS as well).
    So far all the high quality things coming (maybe) to iOS looking bright. Not that there are not already great apps/synths/FX but this f.e. is on a new level in terms of analog sounding. The only real thing which beats even some hardware analogs for me.

• edited February 2020

@gkillmaster said:
    I really want to find a software synth that sounds as good as the Korg Minilogue or Moog Mother 32. Is there such a thing? Doesn't U-He or NI have some that rival hardware?

IOS or Mac, either is good.

Not much to add but another vote for U-he Repro and Diva. The best I know. In my opinion they sound much better than a Minilogue.
    Monark sounds great too, as well as Reaktor Blocks. Softube modular sounds great.
    Tal Uno lx sounds lovely.
    I heard good things about the Arturia Easel.

Roland Cloud stuff sounds great, but when I tried them 2 years ago or so, the GUI was terrible to use.

Moog Model D, Model 15 and Zeeon on Ipad...

The mother32 sounds lovely though, I own one and prefer it to some other Moogs I heard

• Just fyi - The Legend goes on sale alot. Got mine through a Reason sale. I think it was 99.00usd
    Diva is now 179.00usd at Sweetwater.

I was considering getting Diva soon but ended up getting a trade on a Roland JU-02 (hardware with Juno emulations) so I hope that'll fit the bill for what I was looking for. But, I do so Diva in my future.

• $99 is regular price for The Legend (and a fair one, too). XILS synths also sound great, though aren't quite as well designed on the UI side. While there are maybe a couple esoteric alternatives, the most-analog awards definitely go to

U-He
    XILS
    Synapse Audio

Runners up include NI, Arturia, and some obscure ones

To my ears, it took going up to the level of the Sequential OB-6 to surpass any softsynth analog goodness (Legend, Diva, Repro, Synx, etc.) - and, wow, it's magic at that point. Most < $1k or so hardware is just different sounding than the top soft synths, some things better, somethings not.

• Basically agree to the synths mentioned already and add the bx oberhausen, a clone of the Oberheim SEM, which I demoed and was impressed. Personally prefer it over the Arturia SEM clone. Now waiting for the next sale....

• edited February 2020

@tgt21 said:
    Basically agree to the synths mentioned already and add the bx oberhausen, a clone of the Oberheim SEM, which I demoed and was impressed. Personally prefer it over the Arturia SEM clone. Now waiting for the next sale....

I’d consider waiting for the Synapse Audio OB-Xa one. It’ll almost assuredly be better, with a better price. It’s in beta, I think, but no release date stated. I thought the bx one was good but I had technical issues using it - buggy. Despite my hardware synth, I’ll get the Synapse and have both chip types of Oberheim synths covered.

Edit: someone (not me or anyone I know) is selling bx Oberhausen for $45 plus the transfer fee on KVR.

• @kinkujin said:
    Synapse Legend for the Moog thing. Pretty much amazing to me.

Agreed .. it’s currently my fav on desktop. The developer is generous too, giving Reason Rack customers free crossgrade to VST version.