Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Virsyn AudioLayer instrument import fails for some zip archives

edited December 2019 in App Tips and Tricks

Hi, hopefully someone can help me here.
I'm trying to import a zipped AL instrument (the native .instrument under ./instruments/ and .wav files under ./samples/) but I always get this message:

I've also tried to import a zip file uploaded by @Samu but I get the same message.
I even deleted and reinstalled AudioLayer as some suggested that but still I get the same error message.

Opening instrument files from the sample mapping window isn't possible either and nowhere else in AL can I see the files imported into AudioLayer's Documents folder (the default destination for iTunes file sharing).

I'm out of ideas and would appreciate any help.

Importing wave files does work but I have a complex instrument here that I cannot map manually.

iCloud is not an option because the instrument is much too large.

Comments

• edited December 2019

Sorry never have this problem.
    But I use to have crash problem when loading instrument.
    I solved the problem reinstalling the app.
    Hope it help

• @rs2000
    How much space is left locally on your device? enough for the final instrument AND the temporary data?
    Have you tried a "hard reset" of that device?

Press and hold the restart button combination.

• Simultaneously press and hold the right button combination for your iPhone:
      iPhone 6S and earlier, iPad, and iPod Touch: Power button + home button
      iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Power button + volume-down button
      iPhone 8, 8+, and X: Volume up, then volume down, then power button

• Continue holding the buttons. Do so for 10 seconds until you see the startup Apple logo on your screen, then release the buttons.

I hope we get this sorted :smile:

• @rs2000 said:
    I'm trying to import a zipped AL instrument (the native .instrument under ./instruments/ and .wav files under ./samples/) but I always get this message:

I've also tried to import a zip file uploaded by @Samu but I get the same message.
    I even deleted and reinstalled AudioLayer as some suggested that but still I get the same error message.

Opening instrument files from the sample mapping window isn't possible either and nowhere else in AL can I see the files imported into AudioLayer's Documents folder (the default destination for iTunes file sharing).

Importing wave files does work but I have a complex instrument here that I cannot map manually.

Beta is now addressing

• @rs2000 said:

As far as I know AudioLayer expects proper AudioLayer presets/patches to be inside the *.zip archive.
    It can not just import a bunch of samples from a *.zip archive and create a preset/patch based on those.

I've honestly give up on AudioLayer and much prefer using the built-in samplers in BM3 and NS2 and when AUv3 sampler is needed the 4Pockets stuff and Elsa work more than well enough for my sampling needs :)

• @Samu said:

@rs2000 said:

As far as I know AudioLayer expects proper AudioLayer presets/patches to be inside the *.zip archive.
    It can not just import a bunch of samples from a *.zip archive and create a preset/patch based on those.

I've honestly give up on AudioLayer and much prefer using the built-in samplers in BM3 and NS2 and when AUv3 sampler is needed the 4Pockets stuff and Elsa work more than well enough for my sampling needs :)

I can understand you giving up on it, I almost did too and the fact that the most expensive Virsyn app is the one that gets the least love from Virsyn is somewhat shocking, yet I want it to work because I love the concept.
    File handling (please let me access to my own instruments and files!),
    full Modwheel support and MIDI CC mapping is the minimum required in a sampler to work with sampled instruments.
    I can work around the many other limitations but not these.

I have finally found a zip file that actually works, its structure doesn't look different inside and I have yet to understand why AL won't accept most others.

I hope that @Virsyn will soon take the time to fix what has to be fixed.
    People reporting numerous issues for about 15 months and basically no reaction from Virsyn except promoting new apps here instead is giving me headaches.

• I have a theory regarding these file problems.
    There was a possibe related problem when i developed the ABL2MIDI converter.

When i tried the delivered versions, even the faked Korg gzip stuff all went well after i sorted out what filetype it really was.
    Then i created a zip myself to see if i could extract on the fly and get into the stored files - that was when it got funky.
    macOS and iPadOS created an invisible folder "_MacOSX/" with files having the same filenames and extensions like the main files that were in the root - they differed in content and filesize.

The XML interpreter always threw a "corrupted xml structure" or whatever error - suddenly the xml structure seemed broken in a file that, when used separate, was absolutely ok.

Then i maksed out that hidden "_MacOSX/" path all went back to normal.

Maybe that is what is the irritating thing here. Maybe there is something inside that is not obviously visible but gets parsed if one parses just everything one gets without checking if the dirs or files are system-based...

Just a possibility, but maybe worth considering for @VirSyn

• @MrBlaschke said:
    I have a theory regarding these file problems.
    There was a possibe related problem when i developed the ABL2MIDI converter.

When i tried the delivered versions, even the faked Korg gzip stuff all went well after i sorted out what filetype it really was.
    Then i created a zip myself to see if i could extract on the fly and get into the stored files - that was when it got funky.
    macOS and iPadOS created an invisible folder "_MacOSX/" with files having the same filenames and extensions like the main files that were in the root - they differed in content and filesize.

The XML interpreter always threw a "corrupted xml structure" or whatever error - suddenly the xml structure seemed broken in a file that, when used separate, was absolutely ok.

Then i maksed out that hidden "_MacOSX/" path all went back to normal.

Maybe that is what is the irritating thing here. Maybe there is something inside that is not obviously visible but gets parsed if one parses just everything one gets without checking if the dirs or files are system-based...

Just a possibility, but maybe worth considering for @VirSyn

This is an ongoing issue and I think you are on to something .

There is some mis step with Air drop in particular I am finding regarding instances of multiple files.

Albeit meta data....or more substantial.

Your point is well taken.

• @rs2000 said:

Can you upload a file for me to try. Can you clarify, is this a zip created by AudioLayer when exporting an instrument.

• edited December 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    Can you upload a file for me to try. Can you clarify, is this a zip created by AudioLayer when exporting an instrument.

I've tried different zip files posted by forum members here.
    I don't know how they have been created, I assumed they've been exported from AL directly.

I have finally found archives that work but it's unclear what exactly is the reason, so I've changed the thread title.

• @rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

I don't know how they have been created, I assumed they've been exported from AL directly.

I have finally found archives that work but it's unclear what exactly is the reason, so I've changed the thread title.

In order for beta testers or @virsyn to reproduce the problem it would be helpful if you could provide links to specific posts whose files don't work--the more you know of the better. Otherwise, it might not be possible to address. And links to files that work, too.

Btw, someone post files a year ago that had samples AudioLayer could use but not an instrument. Those files needed to be unzipped outside of AudioLayer and their samples copied to the AudioLayer folder because they didn't actually contain an AudioLayer instrument or exs instrument . I wonder if you maybe downloaded some of those.

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

In order for beta testers or @virsyn to reproduce the problem it would be helpful if you could provide links to specific posts whose files don't work--the more you know of the better. Otherwise, it might not be possible to address. And links to files that work, too.

Btw, someone post files a year ago that had samples AudioLayer could use but not an instrument. Those files needed to be unzipped outside of AudioLayer and their samples copied to the AudioLayer folder because they didn't actually contain an AudioLayer instrument or exs instrument . I wonder if you maybe downloaded some of those.

OK, here's one of the files that always gives me errors after a fresh AL install. No matter how often I try, the import will fail.
    It's a file posted by @Samu on the AL instrument sharing thread and it contains the same file structure as the file that finally worked:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/awe5meeypkfsig5/1st.audiolayer.zip?dl=0

Now the surprise is that once I have had luck importing a different AL instrument, I was in fact able to import the above as well!
    So there must be more to it than just a different zip file.
    Without any access to the AL file structure there's no way to see or fix anything myself.

• @rs2000 said:

OK, here's one of the files that always gives me errors after a fresh AL install. No matter how often I try, the import will fail.
    It's a file posted by @Samu on the AL instrument sharing thread and it contains the same file structure as the file that finally worked:

That was an old one, had forgotten about that one but it imported fine here :)
    (iPad Air 2, iPadOS13.3, just tried)

As far as I've understood the file-structure is quite open both on iCloud and on my iPad using the Files.app.
    Don't know if he iOS version has anything to do with it though...

• @Samu said:

@rs2000 said:

That was an old one, had forgotten about that one but it imported fine here :)
    (iPad Air 2, iPadOS13.3, just tried)

As far as I've understood the file-structure is quite open both on iCloud and on my iPad using the Files.app.
    Don't know if he iOS version has anything to do with it though...

Would you mind doing a fresh install of AL and try to import that file again?
    It never worked here.

• @rs2000 said:

It never worked here.

I did a fresh install before I tried since I had already deleted AudioLayer...

• @Samu said:

@rs2000 said:

It never worked here.

Weird. I've tried several re-installs and doing a fresh import, both with and without installing the factory instruments first.

• @rs2000 said:

@Samu said:

@rs2000 said:

It never worked here.

Weird. I've tried several re-installs and doing a fresh import, both with and without installing the factory instruments first.

Did you have cloud sharing on or off? If using local sharing I wonder if it is related to whether AL has created some folder already or not. Auditor had a bug for a while that looked like an MP3 export bug but only happened if one had never save a project before because that was when it created one if its folders.

• @espiegel123 said:

Did you have cloud sharing on or off? If using local sharing I wonder if it is related to whether AL has created some folder already or not. Auditor had a bug for a while that looked like an MP3 export bug but only happened if one had never save a project before because that was when it created one if its folders.

The first thing I always do even before launching a new or newly installed/re-installed app is to check if I can change the storage location. For AudioLayer I set it to On My iPad before I launched the app.

• @Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

The first thing I always do even before launching a new or newly installed/re-installed app is to check if I can change the storage location. For AudioLayer I set it to On My iPad before I launched the app.

Me too. But in AL there is a trick getting it to expose its "on my iPad" folder. I wonder if that might be relevant in this case.

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@Samu said:

@rs2000 said:

It never worked here.

I don't use iCloud and it was always off in AL.
    When I tried to switch it on, it was automatically disabled shortly after, it seems as if AL has recognized that.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

Me too. But in AL there is a trick getting it to expose its "on my iPad" folder. I wonder if that might be relevant in this case.

A trick?

• @rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

A trick?

Yes. When AL is first installed, you won't see AudioLayer listed in Files app. The AudioDabbler has a video about AudioLayer and in it he mentions steps(and I don't recall what they were) that results in it being visible.

• edited December 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

A trick?

Yes. When AL is first installed, you won't see AudioLayer listed in Files app. The AudioDabbler has a video about AudioLayer and in it he mentions steps(and I don't recall what they were) that results in it being visible.

And yet another item in the list of things to fix by @Virsyn.

@TheAudioDabbler do you remember how to do that?

• @rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

A trick?

It might have been solved...as it may be that the others have been solved. That is why I asked for links to all zips that aren't working that should work.

• .> @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

A trick?

It might have been solved...as it may be that the others have been solved. That is why I asked for links to all zips that aren't working that should work.

I'll hope for the best. I'm quite sure that Apple does not charge developers for releasing app updates.

• edited December 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    It might have been solved...

Nope. Still happening and the „trick“ still does it.

• Another try, another fail.
    I've just crated a new zip file without the _MacOSX folder and again, AL gives me the same error message.
    The zip contains exactly the same structure as one that I was previously able to import but lacking any further information I don't even know what failed.

Then I just exported a complete instrument to a zip file and tried to import it on another iDevice. Again, "Wrong format". Aaaargh!

@espiegel123 said:

The instrument is contained in the zip file just like before.
    Given that at some point I was able to import a zip that had failed to import before, there must be something different than a problem with the zip file itself.
    Unfortunately I'm out of ideas how to make it work again.

I can import an instrument file and samples using the Files app. But AudioLayer does not see the samples.
    I can "Open In..." the zip archive in AudioLayer but it will say "Wrong format" even though the format must be correct (it did import when I was lucky).
    I can import files into both the Documents and Documents/Inbox folder using iTunes file sharing. But AL won't see these files, neither individual files nor the zip archive.
    In fact, I cannot see any of my own files using iTunes file sharing even though I have formerly imported over 2GB of samples.

Oh @Virsyn. Please help.

@espiegel123 Can you give me a hint what to search for in order to find the video from AudioDabbler? I've found one video in which he explains how to create an instrument step-by-step but it doesn't seem to be the one you were talking about...
    Thanks!

• @rs2000 said:
    Another try, another fail.
    I've just crated a new zip file without the _MacOSX folder and again, AL gives me the same error message.
    The zip contains exactly the same structure as one that I was previously able to import but lacking any further information I don't even know what failed.

Then I just exported a complete instrument to a zip file and tried to import it on another iDevice. Again, "Wrong format". Aaaargh!

@espiegel123 said:

Given that at some point I was able to import a zip that had failed to import before, there must be something different than a problem with the zip file itself.

I can import an instrument file and samples using the Files app. But AudioLayer does not see the samples.
    I can "Open In..." the zip archive in AudioLayer but it will say "Wrong format" even though the format must be correct (it did import when I was lucky).
    I can import files into both the Documents and Documents/Inbox folder using iTunes file sharing. But AL won't see these files, neither individual files nor the zip archive.
    In fact, I cannot see any of my own files using iTunes file sharing even though I have formerly imported over 2GB of samples.

Oh @Virsyn. Please help.

@espiegel123 Can you give me a hint what to search for in order to find the video from AudioDabbler? I've found one video in which he explains how to create an instrument step-by-step but it doesn't seem to be the one you were talking about...
    Thanks!

re: the @TheAudioDabbler trick: after searching the forum, I realized that the trick is described here. I guess I misremembered it being in the video

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/534686/#Comment_534686

@rs2000 : can you describe the steps you are doing from beginning to end that result in the problem. I am a bit confused by the reference to creating a zip file and trying to open it in AudioLayer. Knowing more about how you are creating it might help.

I was under the impression that you were trying to open a zip created by exporting from AudioLayer. But, now, I gather that is not the case. And that may be part of the problem. Could you describe the process from start to finish or post a video?

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:
    Another try, another fail.

@espiegel123 said:

Oh @Virsyn. Please help.

Thanks!

re: the @TheAudioDabbler trick: after searching the forum, I realized that the trick is described here. I guess I misremembered it being in the video

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/534686/#Comment_534686

@rs2000 : can you describe the steps you are doing from beginning to end that result in the problem. I am a bit confused by the reference to creating a zip file and trying to open it in AudioLayer. Knowing more about how you are creating it might help.

I was under the impression that you were trying to open a zip created by exporting from AudioLayer. But, now, I gather that is not the case. And that may be part of the problem. Could you describe the process from start to finish or post a video?

That is the case.
    I've created a relatively large instrument with many layers in AL, some triggered by Note-On and some by Note-Off messages, plus one layer defined as "ModWheel UP".
    All samples are in .WAV format, 16bit, with different sample rates.
    There are many individual adjustments in layers and zones, including level adjustments, different envelopes and modulated filter settings.
    The instrument works well on the iPad that I've built in on but I just cannot transfer it to another iDevice.

Here are my steps to export and import the instrument:

• Load the instrument in AL. I have always used the standalone version in order to maximize the RAM available for AL.
    • Hit the share icon. The first time AL will always crash but don't worry, reopen and try again
    • Be patient. AL seems to be dead and unresponsive but after a long while, the sharing dialog will suddenly open and list two options, one is the instrument and the second one is the instrument with its sample files included. Choose the latter.
    • Open the created ZIP file in your app of choice (Documents in my case) and transfer it to another iDevice with AL installed and enough free space to both load the ZIP and extract the files contained.
    • Open the ZIP file with AL on the iDevice.
    • Watch the "Wrong format" error pop up.
  • @rs2000: can you upload one of these files to somewhere that someone with the beta can try importing. Many import and export issues have been addressed in the beta.