Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT-Procreate 5

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/procreate/id425073498

So now that Procreate 5 is out is anyone taking it for a test drive? I’m loving the update , especially the animation assistant addition, I can see some crazy music videos coming from it , making animations then importing them into Lumafusion. It’s just a major update in general. I’m only on an Air2 but I can see myself getting an IPad that works with an Apple Pencil now.

Comments

• Just updated and test driving now...

• @Strizbiz said:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/procreate/id425073498

So now that Procreate 5 is out is anyone taking it for a test drive? I’m loving the update , especially the animation assistant addition, I can see some crazy music videos coming from it , making animations then importing them into Lumafusion. It’s just a major update in general. I’m only on an Air2 but I can see myself getting an IPad that works with an Apple Pencil now.

Ooh right, haven't seen the update.

I've been using it a lot recently, and looking to get an update from my Air 2 as well.

• Looks like Lumafusion should add animated PNG support as Procreate can export it. Don't really want to be exporting tons of individual png frames and importing them into Luma one at a time.

(Procreate should also add timelapse with transparent background support. That would be sexy.)

• edited December 2019

@AudioGus said:
    Looks like Lumafusion should add animated PNG support as Procreate can export it. Don't really want to be exporting tons of individual png frames and importing them into Luma one at a time.

(Procreate should also add timelapse with transparent background support. That would be sexy.)

That would be a great feature to have in Lumafusion but I just export from Procreate as an animated MP4 video. I’ve been creating animated mask in procreate using a black background and painting using white brushes then importing into Lumafusion and using the stencil luma blend mode, the animation assistant is going to make things a LOT easier. 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

• Arse: "Requires iOS 13.2 or later"

Really like the look of this update...but really wanted to keep my iPad on 12x.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Arse: "Requires iOS 13.2 or later"

Bugger. Ditto! Was looking forward to this update too. Dilemma! 😂

• @SpookyZoo said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Arse: "Requires iOS 13.2 or later"

Bugger. Ditto! Was looking forward to this update too. Dilemma! 😂

It's a cracking update, but after reading post on here about battery usage and performance hits I'd decided to stay on 12x for a while longer.

Hmmm...

• I opened the new Procreate 5 expecting a new features intro of some kind, as in the past, but none is forthcoming. Will probably start to get excited once I can hunt one down on YouTube.

• The brush studio is awesome! I’ve spent a few hours just tweaking brushes...and not sleeping much.

The animation assist is nice, but still a bit fiddly with how it creates layers. Looking forward to making some cinema graphs with it though.

• @3sleeves said:
    The brush studio is awesome! I’ve spent a few hours just tweaking brushes...and not sleeping much.

The animation assist is nice, but still a bit fiddly with how it creates layers. Looking forward to making some cinema graphs with it though.

I couldn't figure out how it creates layers. How?

• @skiphunt That's what's throwing me, duplicating a frame will usually duplicate a group of layers but sometimes it only duplicates the top layer of a group. I'm not quite sure how it decides which layers to duplicate.

It must be something I'm overlooking, hopefully they'll offer some detailed tutorials at some point.

• @3sleeves said:
    @skiphunt That's what's throwing me, duplicating a frame will usually duplicate a group of layers but sometimes it only duplicates the top layer of a group. I'm not quite sure how it decides which layers to duplicate.

It must be something I'm overlooking, hopefully they'll offer some detailed tutorials at some point.

It’s kinda weird how they implemented animation (though I’m glad they’re moving in that direction)

You can import a video into it and it creates an animation, but it looks like it basically creates a document with all the frames as separate layers that it animates. So, it doesn’t look like you can create another layer over the animation because each frame is actually stacked layers (if that makes sense)

I’m going to wait for a demo video of the new features. It took me awhile to figure out how to morph 2 brushes together because they don’t really provide much instruction.

• edited December 2019

@skiphunt said:

@3sleeves said:
    @skiphunt That's what's throwing me, duplicating a frame will usually duplicate a group of layers but sometimes it only duplicates the top layer of a group. I'm not quite sure how it decides which layers to duplicate.

It’s kinda weird how they implemented animation (though I’m glad they’re moving in that direction)

You can import a video into it and it creates an animation, but it looks like it basically creates a document with all the frames as separate layers that it animates. So, it doesn’t look like you can create another layer over the animation because each frame is actually stacked layers (if that makes sense)

I’m going to wait for a demo video of the new features. It took me awhile to figure out how to morph 2 brushes together because they don’t really provide much instruction.

Personally I prefer the layered timeline style of Rough Animator, more like a stripped down Flash/Animate. Each layer has its own timeline and frame markers.

Procreate animation is like Photoshop, not ideal for rotoscoping even if you can import video clips. The limited number of layers per project means longer animations either have to be lower resolution or split across several project files.

I do see it being decent for cinemagraphs or short loops, but the brush studio is really the best part of the new update in my opinion.

• @skiphunt said:

@3sleeves said:

When you import a video or want to have more layers for each “frame” you can create groups, by dragging layers on top of other layers. Imo it’s a little convoluted and you really have to focus and be organized when you start making groups with several layers but it can be done. I wish that you could actually have a timeline like in After Effect where you have all your layers and frames laid out.
    I don’t think Procreate is breaking new ground as far as Animation goes, you can’t animate to an audio track or anything but for myself I see just keeping it basic and simple atm, making short animations and editing everything together in Lumafusion. You definitely have to watch YouTube videos to grasp what’s new, it doesn’t really jump out at you or look like anything is different when you open the app. I also have been following them on Twitter and seeing them preview the beta.

• The grouping thing is a nice tip, and is a logical progression of the “layer is frame” concept. You can also specify the first frame to be a background layer by long pressing it in the animation helper and toggling it on. The last frame can be made a persistent foreground layer.

I probably won’t be using this feature for serious animation, but it’s worthwhile for animatics, storyboarding and the odd Insta. I can see @MonzoPro duplicating one of his painterly things into numerous layers and smudging each version so it shimmer loops or liquifies.

• @aaronpc said:
    The grouping thing is a nice tip, and is a logical progression of the “layer is frame” concept. You can also specify the first frame to be a background layer by long pressing it in the animation helper and toggling it on. The last frame can be made a persistent foreground layer.

I probably won’t be using this feature for serious animation, but it’s worthwhile for animatics, storyboarding and the odd Insta. I can see @MonzoPro duplicating one of his painterly things into numerous layers and smudging each version so it shimmer loops or liquifies.

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

I'm actually considering getting this for Monzo Jnr's pad, as he draws constantly (traditional media), and I think Procreate would give him a whole bunch of new tools to play with. Stuck with that old 12x update conundrum though...

• @MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:
    The grouping thing is a nice tip, and is a logical progression of the “layer is frame” concept. You can also specify the first frame to be a background layer by long pressing it in the animation helper and toggling it on. The last frame can be made a persistent foreground layer.

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

I'm actually considering getting this for Monzo Jnr's pad, as he draws constantly (traditional media), and I think Procreate would give him a whole bunch of new tools to play with. Stuck with that old 12x update conundrum though...

Yeah. I have a creaky old Cintiq at home, or I would have broken down for a giant iPad Pro for Procreate alone by now.

• edited December 2019

@aaronpc said:

Oh wow! I hadn’t thought of that. Just made a quick 3 layer painting, 4-frame anim and did exactly this. Cool! Lots of abstract potential :)

• @aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

Yeah. I have a creaky old Cintiq at home, or I would have broken down for a giant iPad Pro for Procreate alone by now.

I’ve been getting into Procreate for the last few weeks, and seriously considering investing in a 12” Pro for drawing - big thing for me will be pencil support - the cheap stylus I’m using with my Air 2 is like trying to draw with a raw sausage.

• edited December 2019

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

I’ve been getting into Procreate for the last few weeks, and seriously considering investing in a 12” Pro for drawing - big thing for me will be pencil support - the cheap stylus I’m using with my Air 2 is like trying to draw with a raw sausage.

If you need something to get you buy... I really liked the Adonit Pro stylus. It's the one that has the little transparent plastic disk at the end. It feels like drawing with a pen and you do get a bit of the pressure support. Apple pencil is indeed nice, but I still keep my Adonit in the bag in case my Apple pencil is out of juice. There are knock-offs now with the little plastic disk that are likely exactly the same. If you can find a cheap used one on eBay, it's worth having as a backup even if you manage to get the iPad Pro... plus, because it handles fine drawing well, it's pretty handy to have for drawing on the iPhone too.

• @skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

If you need something to get you buy... I really liked the Adonit Pro stylus. It's the one that has the little transparent plastic disk at the end. It feels like drawing with a pen and you do get a bit of the pressure support. Apple pencil is indeed nice, but I still keep my Adonit in the bag in case my Apple pencil is out of juice. There are knock-offs now with the little plastic disk that are likely exactly the same. If you can find a cheap used on on eBay, it's worth having as a backup even if you manage to get the iPad Pro... plus, because it handles fine drawing will, it's pretty to have for drawing on the iPhone too.

Ah ok cheers I’ll have a look, maybe put it on my xmas list!

• @MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

If you need something to get you buy... I really liked the Adonit Pro stylus. It's the one that has the little transparent plastic disk at the end. It feels like drawing with a pen and you do get a bit of the pressure support. Apple pencil is indeed nice, but I still keep my Adonit in the bag in case my Apple pencil is out of juice. There are knock-offs now with the little plastic disk that are likely exactly the same. If you can find a cheap used on on eBay, it's worth having as a backup even if you manage to get the iPad Pro... plus, because it handles fine drawing will, it's pretty to have for drawing on the iPhone too.

Ah ok cheers I’ll have a look, maybe put

They are quite good in a pinch, and if you have a phone with 3D Touch, procreate pocket does a pretty good job of using stylus pressure for drawing. I think some are on sale at the Adonit site now, btw.

• @aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

They are quite good in a pinch, and if you have a phone with 3D Touch, procreate pocket does a pretty good job of using stylus pressure for drawing. I think some are on sale at the Adonit site now, btw.

Cheers - which model would you recommend for an Air 2? They seem to go from about £6 - £50...

• Thanks for the heads up on the update. I wasn't on on 13.2 so didn't see an update was available.

• @MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

Cheers - which model would you recommend for an Air 2? They seem to go from about £6 - £50...

The pro 3 that’s on sale should be fine. It’s capacitive, so it will work on any screen. The pro should have a little spring under the tip so it doesn’t have a hard tap tap when you’re drawing.

• @MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

Mine is just the Adonit Pro Fine Point. I think it's been discontinued for the newer ones. One warning though... don't put it somewhere it can roll off the counter, etc. that little disk will fly off and you'll never find it. Fortunately you can buy replacement disks.

If you think you might be getting close to an Apple Pencil and new iPad... I don't think I'd spend any more than 8-12 on one.

That said... if I'm being absolutely honest... although I LOVE the Apple Pencil, I didn't really feel like it was a radical jump up from the Adonit for me. That's not knocking the Apple Pencil... that's just saying those Adonit Jots (at least for me) are really good. It feels more like a fine point pen. With the transparent disk you can see exactly where it's drawing. Unlike the fat sausage on you're used to. ;)

If I lost my Adonit Jot Pro, I'd likely still replace it as a backup that doesn't have to be charged and works on the iPhone too.

• @aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

The pro 3 that’s on sale should be fine. It’s capacitive, so it will work on any screen. The pro should have a little spring under the tip so it doesn’t have a hard tap tap when you’re drawing.

Cheers, £21 on Amazon but I’ll check elsewhere.

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

Mine is just the Adonit Pro Fine Point. I think it's been discontinued for the newer ones. One warning though... don't put it somewhere it can roll off the counter, etc. that little disk will fly off and you'll never find it. Fortunately you can buy replacement disks.

If you think you might be getting close to an Apple Pencil and new iPad... I don't think I'd spend any more than 8-12 on one.

That said... if I'm being absolutely honest... although I LOVE the Apple Pencil, I didn't really feel like it was a radical jump up from the Adonit for me. That's not knocking the Apple Pencil... that's just saying those Adonit Jots (at least for me) are really good. It feels more like a fine point pen. With the transparent disk you can see exactly where it's drawing. Unlike the fat sausage on you're used to. ;)

If I lost my Adonit Jot Pro, I'd likely still replace it as a backup that doesn't have to be charged and works on the iPhone too.

Thanks for the info - that one seems a lot cheaper on the Adonis website.

It’s a good point about not spending too much, as I’m ready to pounce on a new Air3 or Pro at the next sales (probably straight after Xmas), and I’ll be getting the Pencil. The Adonit’s all seem to be about £20 - £30 though, which is pretty reasonable.

• @MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

It’s a good point about not spending too much, as I’m ready to pounce on a new Air3 or Pro at the next sales (probably straight after Xmas), and I’ll be getting the Pencil. The Adonit’s all seem to be about £20 - £30 though, which is pretty reasonable.

Yeah, I guess the point I was trying to make was that even when you DO get a new ipad and pencil, the Adonit Jot won’t have been a waste of money. It’s a great backup for when you forget to charge your pencil and is quite useful on the iphone too. I can’t really manage to actually draw very well with my finger on an iphone screen, but with the fine point of the Adonit, it’s completely doable

• @skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

@MonzoPro said:

@aaronpc said:

Ha! Yeah - tempting!

Yeah, I guess the point I was trying to make was that even when you DO get a new ipad and pencil, the Adonit Jot won’t have been a waste of money. It’s a great backup for when you forget to charge your pencil and is quite useful on the iphone too. I can’t really manage to actually draw very well with my finger on an iphone screen, but with the fine point of the Adonit, it’s completely doable

Good point. I think Mrs Monzo has bought me another cheap squidgy job for Xmas, but I’ll still keep these in mind as spares for when I get an iPad upgrade. If she hasn’t, I’ll get an Adonit in the sales.

• Hi guys and gals!

A little musical OT, but, as we are arty people, we also like colors!

The new 5.2 update of Procreate painting app for iPad is such an incredible leep forward for iPad concerning art 2D and 3D!

For me, it took a while to grip the new functionalities in the 5.2 update, so, it was this video that explained it all!

Check this!