Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPhone without ports rumored for 2021

edited December 2019 in Other

I saw this a couple of days ago. How much credit should we give to it? If Apple is pushing in this direction, I don’t see much future for music production in the platform (and I guess iPads would follow later)

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/12/5/20997166/apple-iphone-no-ports-2021-oled-rumors-2020-se-kuo-research

Comments

• Kuo is usually in the ballpark but I’m not taking this one to the bank.

• I believe I called it three days before Kuo In this thread... https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36005/beyond-drambo-what-do-you-want-to-see-in-2020/p1

Just ignore the other crazy shit I said (for now)

• Let’s hope that doesn’t happen or I’m jumping back to desktop full time and will be really annoyed

• Most of us here use our iPad's for music apps so probably won't have much of an effect. If anything I think we may see USB-C standarised across all iPad models by then.

• 2 years away for a rumor is a long way away to speculate. I’m finally switching to a phone without a headphone jack 3 years after the first phone officially had it removed.

• I doubt they'll kill ports in iPad which should be the main iOS system for music.

• Convert your modular synths to wireless :smile:

• edited December 2019

It's called technological progress. Especially for iPhone it makes big sense. I believe low latency BT audio is on the way, already current AirPods Pro are much better, wait for next year model ;-)

On other side - i believe until wireless pro audio interfaces will be not standard, iPads are safe. Cable connection makes sense for tablet device, which is mentioned to replace notebook in many situations, not that much for iphone

• I can see a couple of good reasons for it

More waterproof
    More secure, the harder it is to plug stuff in the harder it is to hack it.

• So they'll remove the sim port too? ;)

I can see them doing it on iphones, but never on ipads and Macbooks unless they aim to completely remove professional users from their ecosytem.

• @Carnbot said:
    So they'll remove the sim port too? ;)

I can see them doing it on iphones, but never on ipads and Macbooks unless they aim to completely remove professional users from their ecosytem.

Apple would love to remove the sim port. They already have sim free tech. If it was only up to Apple the sim port would already be history.

• @klownshed said:

@Carnbot said:
    So they'll remove the sim port too? ;)

Apple would love to remove the sim port. They already have sim free tech. If it was only up to Apple the sim port would already be history.

I think it would be a risky move, I like the sim because it's a layer of security. But yeah I expect we will see it happen some day. Security forces probably would never use apple phones then though :)

• edited December 2019

@Carnbot said:

I hope so but remove professional users seems the path they are pursuing. Even releasing professional macs or iPad pros these seem just strategies to keep the different segments alive as brand more than true effort to help people in their professions or better said what Apple thinks a professional should be (and pay) has evolved to different tier from previous eras not in price but in specs.
    Their targets are from most important to less: Consumers (iTunes, Apple Arcade, Beats...), Prosumers (Apple Watch health, iPad/iPhone for drawing and some musicking as complement), Professionals (Mac Pro, iMac Pro, Mac mini Pro aka the greys...)

iPadOS is recent. iPad Pro as Pro hardware is being born with apps like Photoshop (but any clue of Logic and let's see if never come) so professionals were removed (or left aside if you prefer) with large lapse of time between mac (and its hardware) updates in favor to iOS (note aside the price issue of apps) and then Apple needed back to mac announce and revamp even the mac pro (the trash bin was a fail in the end, let's see the cheese grater) finally being modular (sic) but take a look into prices... they are making bigger the gaps between segments so if you haven't any Pro (desktop) Apple hardware ATM you aren't a professional for them (your wallet isn't what they are targeting as professional due they are building trucks).

He talks about PCs are going to be those trucks (and any Apple gadget done for professionals will be powerful trucks but at the price for these vs the price of the cars everyone uses for daily).
    Also cloud computing and AI will grow year after year so even your iPad never get the power of these trucks, probably will not needed after all. You will do all you commonly need for daily use and then when you need extra power just take a pickup (macbook pro, mac mini pro...) or truck (iMac) or trailer (Mac Pro cheese grater) meanwhile Apple keeps working on assisted power with cloud where you can send part of the CPU requirements to iCloud service to carry these like cloud rendering, cloud computing algos, etc... combining local resources (the best ARM chips inside a portable device) with the best technologies for these (metal, swift...) to even boost further their significant difference... but also jailing more and more data in favor of security (and dealing with Multipolar Economic War with CHINA, RUSIA, EUROPE... 5G, Huawei, Bitcoin...)

The problem is not Apple aim ing to completely remove professional users from their ecosystem... the problem is to define properly the segments and fit that description inside their commercial strategy meanwhile users don't notice it when it becomes a damage to its segment.

The idea could be something like:

If you can justify afford a truck, you aren't a professional.

I did this diagram when first mac mini pros were released to explain a bit the previous argument. Excuse me for the wrong objects in that, I have very few idea about flux capacitors diagrams and I need to draw the idea fast to keep the joke relevant to the moment.

@bato maybe you find this chained thoughts also useful so let me invite you to join the discussion.

• I was only aiming my question at how reputable was the source (looks like it is, but with a grain of salt). @dendy’s comment re: low latency wireless, and others’ takes (specially @TheDubbyLabby’s) on the overarching Apple strategy are quite interesting, so thanks for that.

• edited December 2019

Glad to be food for thought (and hopeful to be wrong and Apple acting different...)

• @dendy said:
    It's called technological progress. Especially for iPhone it makes big sense. I believe low latency BT audio is on the way, already current AirPods Pro are much better, wait for next year model ;-)

On other side - i believe until wireless pro audio interfaces will be not standard, iPads are safe. Cable connection makes sense for tablet device, which is mentioned to replace notebook in many situations, not that much for iphone

This would stop me using iOS for music as I don’t use an iPad and don’t care to use one.

I wouldn’t assume iPads would be “ok”. Apple only cares about Apple and what Apple wants and what will make the most money overall for the company. I’d actually assume that this’d be a differentiator between iPads and iPad pros - in that only the iPad Pro models will maintain a port.