Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looping in Patterning 2

Hello! I've only just recently starting getting in to the world of iPad music production, and I'm primarily using Korg Gadget. One thing I really like is the ability to do live jams by looping scenes indefinitely and then having Gadget finish off a scene before moving on to the next one I trigger - it makes the timing of everything nice and seamless (for future reference is there an actual term for this?). I'm wondering if there is something similar to this in Patterning 2. I know you can put multiple patterns together using the timeline, and there is a loop feature, but are the transitions between the two patterns seamless like how I describe in Gadget? Can you just have one pattern loop for however long you want until you trigger a new one? I tried reading the manual but it's a little unclear as to the capabilities. Thanks for any insights!

Comments

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@nabelnabel said:
    Hello! I've only just recently starting getting in to the world of iPad music production, and I'm primarily using Korg Gadget. One thing I really like is the ability to do live jams by looping scenes indefinitely and then having Gadget finish off a scene before moving on to the next one I trigger - it makes the timing of everything nice and seamless (for future reference is there an actual term for this?). I'm wondering if there is something similar to this in Patterning 2. I know you can put multiple patterns together using the timeline, and there is a loop feature, but are the transitions between the two patterns seamless like how I describe in Gadget? Can you just have one pattern loop for however long you want until you trigger a new one? I tried reading the manual but it's a little unclear as to the capabilities. Thanks for any insights!

It’s not exactly like Gadget. In Gadget, the entire previous scene will play until its end before moving to the next. In Patterning 2, when you tap on the next pattern in the song page, it will start at the next measure, no matter how long the pattern is. So, you have to tap sometime between the first and last beat of the measure for when you want to make the change.

Same idea, but your timing needs to be a little better than in Gadget.

The term I think you’re looking for is “quantization”. Quantization is simply timing correction. This can be on many scales. For instance, you might quantize drum beats to the nearest 16th note. Or you might quantize chords to the nearest beat. In Patterning you’re quantizing to measures. Gadget quantizes to whole scenes.

Technically this is “timing quantization”, but people usually just say “quantization”. There’s also “pitch” or “note” quantization, which is forcing notes into a scale.

I hope that helps.

• edited December 2019

In patterning 2 you can set the next pattern to launch anywhere from “immediately” up to “16 bars” in advance. It’s in the clock settings menu. “Pattern Launch Quantize”

• @benkamen said:
    In patterning 2 you can set the next pattern to launch anywhere from “immediately” up to “16 bars” in advance. It’s in the clock settings menu. “Pattern Launch Quantize”

Nice! I did not know that.