Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Glad I Kept Effect Pedals

Comments

• @rs2000 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@david_2017 said:
    @Blue_Mangoo

Did i hear a „challenge accepted“? ;)

Ok, then in this Order

1) Cloud
    2) Bloom
    3) plate

Big sky cloud and bloom algorithms sound absolutely amazing. Sublime

I had a listen to some videos of the Cloud and Bloom modes. The Bloom mode is basically a ducking reverb, kind of like the digitech delay that @bato mentioned above. But what is the Cloud mode? It sounds beautiful, but I haven't be able to nail down what's special about it, other than that it's really long. It seems like it ducks the transients out of the reverb input so you hear the sustain but not the click sounds. Have you read the manual or anything else that explains what it's doing?

edit: after watching and reading more about the cloud mode, I'm still not 100% sure how it works, but I am definitely willing to give it a try when I finish up the projects I'm currently working on. :)

The Clouds mode sounds a lot like granular smearing of the input signal is used additionally to reverb.
    I guess it should be done including transient vs sustain signal detection to make the granular reverb tail smooth enough.
    Try Spacecraft and you'll see what I mean.

Listen to positions starting at 7:15 and 8:20 to hear the granular effect the most pronounced.

I see what you mean about it sounding granular. I think it's possible to make a Feedback Delay Network reverb do that kind of thing if you have it set with really sparse late reverb and really dense early reflections. If you do that then it has some similarity to granular processing. I'll see what I can come up with. This is an interesting challenge. :)

• I think with the DD500 style delay it may be best to just really nail a few of the standard effects that most people will use - Standard, Analog, Tape, Vintage digital then with IAP Tera Echo, Slow Attack, Filter, Shimmer.

• edited December 2019

@cruz777 said:
    I think with the DD500 style delay it may be best to just really nail a few of the standard effects that most people will use - Standard, Analog, Tape, Vintage digital then with IAP Tera Echo, Slow Attack, Filter, Shimmer.

I think the Tera Echo especially would do well on its own (Boss in fact sells a simple Tera Echo stomp)..it would fill a gap for something that afaik doesn't exist on iOS. Second vote would be the super-customizable Pattern delay (you can have a 16-step delay pattern with each step being a different note repeat length [half, dotted, triplet, etc] or rest length, and you can pan/filter etc each step of the delay sequence as well.

A side note about the DD-500...you can mute the direct level of the input signal, which is really handy for some of the lusher soundscape stuff you can do with it. Oh and one more thing, you can stack two presets of any delay types for wicked fun (especially in stereo, but even using a mono setup you can pan one left and one right to get some separation).

Argh typing about these features makes me want to splurge on a stereo setup for guitar to unlock fully the DD-500.

• I think the pattern delay is the most interesting option on the DD-500 for me.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    @hibjshop As a developer, I will gladly take requests to write audio an unit plugin that emulates the sound of whatever pedals and effects you feel are currently missing from your iOS guitar or keyboard rig.

FWIW, EOS Reverb by Audio damage is as good or better than any reverb pedal.

Nothing on iOS even touches the Step mode on the boss ph-3 phase shifter pedal. There are very few attempts maybe one or two, and they’re nowhere near as good (I remember the sugar bytes one and maybe one other in bias). I would love this.

Also, 12 string emulation. The pitch shifter stuff and electro harmonic copies in tone stack aren’t up to it. Something like te digitech mosaic. Which would be appropriately named

• edited December 2019

Terra, filter, shimmer, pattern, sfx, these are unique and would bring something different and special to ios (the common delay types seem plenty already). Whats special about the dd500 is under the hood where you can customize the selected algorithm via routing lfos- pitch, panning, rate etc, this allows you to take delays into far exotic places. Also to note many algo delay times can be quite long (5 seconds).

Big sky chorale is also worth a look; pedals made by Earth Quaker Devices- these would sell like hot cakes.

Thanks for your work and considerations👍🏼

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@oat_phipps said:

@hibjshop said:
    Been doing lots of comparisons between ios reverb/delay effects and hardware effect pedals
    using various ios synths (icegear, apesoft, sugarbytes). Granted the big difference in price, Im finding a huge difference sonically.
    Hardware pedals used, Specular Tempus reverb and Boss dd500 delay.
    I’ve compared them with all highly regarded ios effects. I was hoping for different results, allowing me to keep things contained within the ipad, but my ears just wont let me.

Any other effect junkies having similar experiences?

Yep, and with a DD-500! What a monster pedal. So glad I didn't sell it when I got rid of everything else a couple years back. My come around has mostly to do with me getting back into guitar over synths though.

Regarding the DD-500, I have the same question I had about the strymon:

We'd likely go bankrupt this year if we made a plugin with this many algorithms and sold it for $5.99 on the App Store. Is there one single mode or a couple of modes in the DD-500 that you consider so important that you'd get serious value out of a plugin that had only that one mode?

• I throw in Strymon TimeLine. From all there is the Icedelay should be the most interesting algo - really unique

• +1 for ice delay 👍🏼👍🏼

@david_2017 said:
    I throw in Strymon TimeLine. From all there is the Icedelay should be the most interesting algo - really unique

• @hibjshop said:
    +1 for ice delay 👍🏼👍🏼

@david_2017 said:
    I throw in Strymon TimeLine. From all there is the Icedelay should be the most interesting algo - really unique

Wow. That is really cool. Thanks for the recommendation.

• For me, nothing beats running Analogman’s Beano Boost and an 80s Rat into a tube amp.

• @hibjshop said:
    +1 for ice delay 👍🏼👍🏼

@david_2017 said:

I find a lot of those reverby sound delays can be achieved to some extent with a shimmer/reverb effect after a delay. I'll play around tonight and see what sounds I can get use Blackhole and Crystalline after a delay.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@kobamoto said:

Wow.

Listening to this voice is like watching ASMR videos.

Do you have a particular mode on this that is most important for you? I'm looking for something that I can do in a plugin that sells for less than $10.

sup Blue :) , I just posted for inspiration for me it's all about sample mangling so anything that goes far with sample mangling that is NOT a decimate, saturate,distortion, plug is great.... anything to grab a sample, hold it, and do some cool things with it and the option to apply or disable sync is a great start in my opinion.

• @richardyot said:
    What I can't really find is a great amp sim or distortion, they all seem to have a thin and aliased sound

Same. Something up the upper-mids always sounds 'not right' to my ears. I guess it depends on what you're doing.

• @hibjshop @Lurcher Have either of you tried driving an analog clock source via the aux out on the Specular Tempus? Like as a clock in for a modular or a volca or whatevers? If so, how'd it go? :) Does it continue to send clock if the effect is disabled/bypassed?

• @Blue_Mangoo The 12 bit 'crunch' along with delay time modulation that was popular with 80s rack mount delays would be most welcome on iOS! Cassini's internal delay is the closest to this I'm aware of.

Strymon's dedicated a pedal to it. It does a bit more (it's a dual delay with three algos) but 12 bit reduction + modulation is the core of this and the original units like the Deltalab Effectrons or the old Digitech RDS series, etc.

• @syrupcore said:

@richardyot said:
    What I can't really find is a great amp sim or distortion, they all seem to have a thin and aliased sound

Same. Something up the upper-mids always sounds 'not right' to my ears. I guess it depends on what you're doing.

We are working on this right now. Planning to release it soon, before we start working on the other ideas in this thread.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@syrupcore said:

@richardyot said:

We are working on this right now. Planning to release it soon, before we start working on the other ideas in this thread.

Will it be AUv3? :D

• Sorry i have not done so, not much of a clock guy

@syrupcore said:
    @hibjshop @Lurcher Have either of you tried driving an analog clock source via the aux out on the Specular Tempus? Like as a clock in for a modular or a volca or whatevers? If so, how'd it go? :) Does it continue to send clock if the effect is disabled/bypassed?

• How about an effect that sounds like Morphagene with the morph turned all the way up? It's a very recognizable sound, once you know what to listen for. It sounds good with almost any input. Instant ambient.

• @cruz777 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@syrupcore said:

@richardyot said:

I think it will be only AUv3. No standalone app version.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    How about an effect that sounds like Morphagene with the morph turned all the way up? It's a very recognizable sound, once you know what to listen for. It sounds good with almost any input. Instant ambient.

I had a listen to it on youtube just now. That’s a cool sound.

For the moment it’s not a good one for me to work on because its outside my areas of expertise.

• edited December 2019

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@cruz777 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@syrupcore said:

@richardyot said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@cruz777 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@syrupcore said:

@richardyot said:

Cool cool! I think more and more people are crying out for a good auv3 amp plugin. Stark was released but it was heavily criticised here by guitarists. What ETA are you looking for? Need any beta testers?

• edited December 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @syrupcore said:
    @Blue_Mangoo The 12 bit 'crunch' along with delay time modulation that was popular with 80s rack mount delays would be most welcome on iOS! Cassini's internal delay is the closest to this I'm aware of.

Strymon's dedicated a pedal to it. It does a bit more (it's a dual delay with three algos) but 12 bit reduction + modulation is the core of this and the original units like the Deltalab Effectrons or the old Digitech RDS series, etc.

That’s actually far more versatile than I thought.

• @Max23 said:

lovely :)
    I would buy that iOS plug in in a second.

Any ideas about how makes that sound?

• @cruz777 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@cruz777 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@syrupcore said:

@richardyot said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@cruz777 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@syrupcore said:

@richardyot said:

Cool cool! I think more and more people are crying out for a good auv3 amp plugin. Stark was released but it was heavily criticised here by guitarists. What ETA are you looking for? Need any beta testers?

ETA is 6-8 weeks. PM me your email address if you wanna beta test

• Pedals that are meant for spontaneous exploration, effing around w/ knobs, are the ones that are the most difficult to emulate in an app. One example is the Montreal Assembly PurPLL, which is a PLL-style fuzz/harmonizer that can also be used as a standalone drone synth.

The vid that sold me on it:

The other types are overdrive, because I frequently tweak the knobs for tonal exploration, and of course tuner and preamp/boost.

Empress Zoia, which I also have and love, does have a lot of great patches that could be emulated on IOS. Examples:

Sunken World - chaos/soundscape patch. Turn reverb off and you get free-improv metallic ring mod and delay. Turn it on and it's like a busy subway terminal
    https://patchstorage.com/the-sunken-world-a-soundscape-and-chaos-patch/

Ghost In The Shell - sequenced reverb
    https://patchstorage.com/ghost-in-the-shell-a-sequenced-haunting-reverb/

• I know this has sort of turned into a recommendation thread for app ideas, but wanted to add that I sprung for the Strymon Iridium amp + IR cab pedal. Mostly a bedroom guy these days and haven’t had an amp for years, so this is absolutely perfect for me. ‘65 Fender, AC30, and Marshall models. Comes loaded with 3 quality IRs for each amp type, and you can import your own. It sounds very, very good for not being, ya know, an amp.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I know this has sort of turned into a recommendation thread for app ideas, but wanted to add that I sprung for the Strymon Iridium amp + IR cab pedal. Mostly a bedroom guy these days and haven’t had an amp for years, so this is absolutely perfect for me. ‘65 Fender, AC30, and Marshall models. Comes loaded with 3 quality IRs for each amp type, and you can import your own. It sounds very, very good for not being, ya know, an amp.

I followed the videos and threads on the internet and have to say the Iridium sounds awesome! I use a Line 6 Helix Floor for AMP and Cab modeling, which I thing sounds fantastic too. I dont have the money and dont have the room for big Cabs and AMPs around here, so for us livinging recreation and limited money/space guitar players this is golden ;) Enjoy your IRidium!

But beside that, I REALLY enjoy what this thread has become, haha! @Blue_Mangoo is kicking it off here. I am suer stoked!

• @Stiksi said:

@syrupcore said:
    @Blue_Mangoo The 12 bit 'crunch' along with delay time modulation that was popular with 80s rack mount delays would be most welcome on iOS! Cassini's internal delay is the closest to this I'm aware of.

That’s actually far more versatile than I thought.

It is a pretty versatile little echo box for sure. I should sell something and just get it. I have a few 80s rack mount delays already so it's sorta painful to consider spending money on reproducing those in a pedal but a) no scratchy pots and b) the insta-magic of the musically set second delay time...