Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Glad I Kept Effect Pedals

Comments

• edited December 2019

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    @hibjshop As a developer, I will gladly take requests to write audio an unit plugin that emulates the sound of whatever pedals and effects you feel are currently missing from your iOS guitar or keyboard rig.

FWIW, EOS Reverb by Audio damage is as good or better than any reverb pedal.

Chase Bliss Thermae would be my choice. I can sort of get something similar by combining multiple plugins, but not quite there.

• @Bluemangoo on the Big Sky algo’s I would love the ‘chorale’ algo modelled - it seems pretty unique to this pedal.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@david_2017 said:
    @Blue_Mangoo

Did i hear a „challenge accepted“? ;)

Ok, then in this Order

1) Cloud
    2) Bloom
    3) plate

Big sky cloud and bloom algorithms sound absolutely amazing. Sublime

I had a listen to some videos of the Cloud and Bloom modes. The Bloom mode is basically a ducking reverb, kind of like the digitech delay that @bato mentioned above. But what is the Cloud mode? It sounds beautiful, but I haven't be able to nail down what's special about it, other than that it's really long. It seems like it ducks the transients out of the reverb input so you hear the sustain but not the click sounds. Have you read the manual or anything else that explains what it's doing?

edit: after watching and reading more about the cloud mode, I'm still not 100% sure how it works, but I am definitely willing to give it a try when I finish up the projects I'm currently working on. :)

I dont really know either but I absolutely love the fantastic tails it provides and 50 Seconds are pure bliss. Making drones with them on my guitar is just sublime. As someone stated the chorale algo is also really beautiful.
    I would be stoked if someone takes on the challenge to code the most beautiful reverb on iOS. We have some fantastic one already FAC Bandit algo, AudioDamage AdVerb2, EOS2, Blackhole, the Gospelmusicians IFX Convolution Verb... but there is a reason I still have my Strymon running strong ;)

• edited December 2019

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@david_2017 said:
    @Blue_Mangoo

Ok, then in this Order

1) Cloud
    2) Bloom
    3) plate

I had a listen to some videos of the Cloud and Bloom modes. The Bloom mode is basically a ducking reverb, kind of like the digitech delay that @bato mentioned above. But what is the Cloud mode? It sounds beautiful, but I haven't be able to nail down what's special about it, other than that it's really long. It seems like it ducks the transients out of the reverb input so you hear the sustain but not the click sounds. Have you read the manual or anything else that explains what it's doing?

edit: after watching and reading more about the cloud mode, I'm still not 100% sure how it works, but I am definitely willing to give it a try when I finish up the projects I'm currently working on. :)

The Clouds mode sounds a lot like granular smearing of the input signal is used additionally to reverb.
    I guess it should be done including transient vs sustain signal detection to make the granular reverb tail smooth enough.
    Try Spacecraft and you'll see what I mean.

Listen to positions starting at 7:15 and 8:20 to hear the granular effect the most pronounced.

• Hey whatever you decide to do PLEASE let it be something unique and creative. There are plenty of nice typical reverbs available (room, hall, spring etc).
    Those reverb algos that stand out us junkies rave and crave always have a certain unworldliness to them.

Thx for checking out this post 👍🏼

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    @hibjshop As a developer, I will gladly take requests to write audio an unit plugin that emulates the sound of whatever pedals and effects you feel are currently missing from your iOS guitar or keyboard rig.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

This would be fun, its basically a granular delay/pitch shifter

• +1 Nice pedal👍🏼

@Tickletiger said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

This would be fun, its basically a granular delay/pitch shifter

• I haven’t played with the iOS version of Syntronik, but on the desktop there is that great efx page where you can mix channel strips, rack gear, and pedal like modules. It’s a bit linear overall but still fun to play around in. If there was an app like that where the user could build AND patch the pedal chain...it’s basically another modular app, but with pedals.

• Hui... now it gets crazy

MOOD
    Count to 5
    Blooper
    David Rolo stuff
    Particle
    There is another one from Meris Hydra?!?

Delay, granual, looper stuff is crazy and definitely missing in the iOS universe

• I've gone through two phases in life where I obsessed over pedals and amps. Good tone is all very subjective and 99% of people can't hear the difference anyway. I decided that I'd rather try to say something meaningful through my creations than obsess over minutia. But that's me! Hope everyone gets what they want from Santa!

• edited December 2019

Yeah I do agree pending the type of effect. Some (myself) desire those effects that allow you mangle, twist, swirl, etc your sound. These effects are very noticeable, the liking of course subjective..
    For those who like to tweak, experimentalist and ambient enthusiasts, santa came early with a
    Boss dd500. Running Space Craft through it.......Very very very pleased 🤘🏼🙂

@lukesleepwalker said:

I've gone through two phases in life where I obsessed over pedals and amps. Good tone is all very subjective and 99% of people can't hear the difference anyway. I decided that I'd rather try to say something meaningful through my creations than obsess over minutia. But that's me! Hope everyone gets what they want from Santa!

• @hibjshop said:
    Been doing lots of comparisons between ios reverb/delay effects and hardware effect pedals
    using various ios synths (icegear, apesoft, sugarbytes). Granted the big difference in price, Im finding a huge difference sonically.
    Hardware pedals used, Specular Tempus reverb and Boss dd500 delay.
    I’ve compared them with all highly regarded ios effects. I was hoping for different results, allowing me to keep things contained within the ipad, but my ears just wont let me.

Any other effect junkies having similar experiences?

Yep, and with a DD-500! What a monster pedal. So glad I didn't sell it when I got rid of everything else a couple years back. My come around has mostly to do with me getting back into guitar over synths though.

• @hibjshop said:
    Yeah I do agree pending the type of effect. Some (myself) desire those effects that allow you mangle, twist, swirl, etc your sound. These effects are very noticeable, the liking of course subjective..
    For those who like to tweak, experimentalist and ambient enthusiasts, santa came early with a
    Boss dd500. Running Space Craft through it.......Very very very pleased 🤘🏼🙂

@lukesleepwalker said:

I've gone through two phases in life where I obsessed over pedals and amps. Good tone is all very subjective and 99% of people can't hear the difference anyway. I decided that I'd rather try to say something meaningful through my creations than obsess over minutia. But that's me! Hope everyone gets what they want from Santa!

The boss 500’s were 100$ off last weekend and positive grid pedals were 50% off or free w/ head. That was a tough one to sit out. Deep breath and repeat “I need nothing”

• Also, I only have a single input Apogee one so I can't currently do it, but what does it take to route iOS audio out through a hardware effects loop and back in? I'm kinda clueless when it comes to these things.

• @hibjshop said:
    I like your enthusiasm:) If you make I will def buy.
    Currently using Tempus Specular Reverb, its fantastic. I compared it to all the best ios reverbs.
    The difference is instantly noticeable (I’m no audiophile); richer, fuller, wider, deeper etc.

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Thanks. I'll check it out.

• Routing gets tricky, various ways pending your goals. I just run ios synths though pedals and then speakers. You may want to look at analog mixers with USB or a different interface.

@oat_phipps said:
    Also, I only have a single input Apogee one so I can't currently do it, but what does it take to route iOS audio out through a hardware effects loop and back in? I'm kinda clueless when it comes to these things.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@david_2017 said:
    @Blue_Mangoo

Ok, then in this Order

1) Cloud
    2) Bloom
    3) plate

I found this set of Big Sky impulse responses:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfg48iuk98b1bvy/STRYMON BIG SKY IMPULSE RESPONSES.zip?dl=0

Impulse responses can't do pitch shifting, not even small pitch modulations. But if the IR is done right then it shows you exactly what the early reflections are doing, and that's usually all you need to clone the reverb pedal.

• @david_2017 said:

Delay, granual, looper stuff is crazy and definitely missing in the iOS universe

Nah, there’s plenty of all that stuff.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@david_2017 said:

Nah, there’s plenty of all that stuff.

Yeah I'm finding on iOS there are heaps of crazy delay type effects (now add the new eventide ultra tap). I'm wanting something that is a bit more simple (like the Boss DD-20 style delay) that has the ability to do modular as well.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Also, I only have a single input Apogee one so I can't currently do it, but what does it take to route iOS audio out through a hardware effects loop and back in? I'm kinda clueless when it comes to these things.

I use a mixer with either the insert I/O or efx send/return or both, depending on whatever Feels right for that chain. This is how I’d do it with my gear...

• @Lurcher said:
    @Bluemangoo on the Big Sky algo’s I would love the ‘chorale’ algo modelled - it seems pretty unique to this pedal.

Noted. I am already looking at the Cloud one. I think I'll start there and go one at a time, separate plugin for each; otherwise it will take me all year to finish.

• @kobamoto said:

Wow.

Listening to this voice is like watching ASMR videos.

Do you have a particular mode on this that is most important for you? I'm looking for something that I can do in a plugin that sells for less than $10.

• @oat_phipps said:

@hibjshop said:
    Been doing lots of comparisons between ios reverb/delay effects and hardware effect pedals
    using various ios synths (icegear, apesoft, sugarbytes). Granted the big difference in price, Im finding a huge difference sonically.
    I’ve compared them with all highly regarded ios effects. I was hoping for different results, allowing me to keep things contained within the ipad, but my ears just wont let me.

Yep, and with a DD-500! What a monster pedal. So glad I didn't sell it when I got rid of everything else a couple years back. My come around has mostly to do with me getting back into guitar over synths though.

Regarding the DD-500, I have the same question I had about the strymon:

We'd likely go bankrupt this year if we made a plugin with this many algorithms and sold it for $5.99 on the App Store. Is there one single mode or a couple of modes in the DD-500 that you consider so important that you'd get serious value out of a plugin that had only that one mode?

• @hibjshop said:
    Hey whatever you decide to do PLEASE let it be something unique and creative. There are plenty of nice typical reverbs available (room, hall, spring etc).
    Those reverb algos that stand out us junkies rave and crave always have a certain unworldliness to them.

Thx for checking out this post 👍🏼

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Noted. It's more fun to make the unworldly reverbs. Until today, I didn't realize they were so popular.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@oat_phipps said:

@hibjshop said:

We'd likely go bankrupt this year if we made a plugin with this many algorithms and sold it for $5.99 on the App Store. Is there one single mode or a couple of modes in the DD-500 that you consider so important that you'd get serious value out of a plugin that had only that one mode?

This might be a thing where IAP really makes sense. Have one or two algos in the app and have additional algos available as an IAP.

• I don't own any pedals but I think part of the reason that they sound better than software, vst or iOS AU, is AD/DA conversion. Plus most users are likely routing those into preamps which add volume and color (depending on the preamp).

When everything happens in software, I think you lose this. I wonder if an iPad was used for FX with an audio interface, and the results routed to another interface, how that would affect perspective on quality?

After all, many pedals have digital algorithms anyway.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@oat_phipps said:

@hibjshop said:

This might be a thing where IAP really makes sense. Have one or two algos in the app and have additional algos available as an IAP.

That's true.

For me it's easier to split into smaller, simpler apps, because then I can release as soon as we have one done, get feedback, get paid, and based on the sales figures decide whether or not to continue.

• @auxmux said:
    I don't own any pedals but I think part of the reason that they sound better than software, vst or iOS AU, is AD/DA conversion. Plus most users are likely routing those into preamps which add volume and color (depending on the preamp).

When everything happens in software, I think you lose this. I wonder if an iPad was used for FX with an audio interface, and the results routed to another interface, how that would affect perspective on quality?

After all, many pedals have digital algorithms anyway.

For digital effects, I think the main reason why pedals sound better is that they have a 50 year head start on us. In 50 years, we forgot all the bad pedals and only the great ones float to the top. Give iOS some more time and there will be more iconic effects here too.

For distortion, overdrive, and amp sim effects, it is truly difficult to emulate those in the digital world and doing it right consumes huge amounts of processor resources.