Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Jim Audio Pure Acid vs. Behringer TD-3 (+ vs. Troublemaker)

2»

Comments

• I am the first one to order a TD3 if it comes even closer to a 303 after modding. I really wish it does. Hoping for even better examples....I follow the discussion on gearslutz and hear about every comparison on youtube. There is still some gap to close.
    Thanks for your great comparison which really points out the differences, @dendy!

• edited December 2019

Ok here is it .. let me explain what you can hear in example above

• there are 3 sequences
    • all of them starts with cutoff:0 reso:max envelope:0 decay:0 accent:max

1/ first sequence - i trimmed filter tunnning knob to most LEFT position then i recorded tweak of cuttoff from min to max and back to min - so you can see effective range of cuttof knob when trimpot is in it's most left position

2/ second sequence - i trimmed filter tunning knob to most RIGHT position, then i again recorded tweak of cutoff from min to max and back to min

3/ third sequence - i trimmed filter tunning knob to my personal "sweet spot" which is approximately in fist 1/3 of it's path (so somewhere betweeen most left and middle, closer to middle. then i started to tweak cutoff but also i added envelope and decay values - so you can hear where "whistles" can go with this position ..

Hope it shows what is possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/44k71mf80aw8ny7/td3_filter_tunning_test.wav?dl=0

(btw. ignore that noticeable noise, that is comming from totaly fucked up Focusrite iTrack Dock AD converter)

• @dendy Thanks for the additional examples. I think we can agree that it matches the characteristic of the 303 pretty close. I still have the feeling that the gate closes earlier and the sound looses some punch when turning down cutoff compared to a 303. But that might be a matter of compression or EQing...
    Well, i have time to decide if i go for a TD3 - or better 2 then;-), as its not deliverable currently. Also i am still working completely ITB. Dont know if i want to open Pandora's box. There might come out much more GAS i fear...

• @tgt21 said:
    @dendy Thanks for the additional examples. I think we can agree that it matches the characteristic of the 303 pretty close. I still have the feeling that the gate closes earlier and the sound looses some punch when turning down cutoff compared to a 303. But that might be a matter of compression or EQing...
    Well, i have time to decide if i go for a TD3 - or better 2 then;-), as its not deliverable currently. Also i am still working completely ITB. Dont know if i want to open Pandora's box. There might come out much more GAS i fear...

so there are other trim pots, one is the VCO balance which effect the transient click, This can be very high pitched click or a deep click which adds a perceived punch, personally i don't like the clicks of the ENV on synths so i tuned it very high which actually adds quite some noise to the filter. well there are quite some tweaking possibilities which can be done plus i expect a ton of mods to be available in the future, maybe even CPU replacements etc... some serious nerds are working through these mods now.

• edited December 2019

@tgt21 said:
    Also i am still working completely ITB.

Me too.. but i think the way how i will use it would be - during production phase i will use Troublemaker (or later when it will be available Pure Acti AUv3) - and and the end, i just re-record all 303 parts from TD3 and replace plugins with audio to have most accurate TB sound possible :)

Regarding other HW synths i have - my way of using them is that i usually sample multi samples from them (f0,f1,f2,f3,..) and then i load those multisaples to sampler (NS Obsidian in my case), loop them and use them as building blocks for patches ... In this workflow, those multisaples are sampled without envelopes, so they are easy loopable and they serve basically as "oscillators" ...

here example - few patches i build using Behringer Neutron multisamples https://patchstorage.com/neutronium-obsidian-patches/

There are many ways how to use HW in combination with SW :-)

• @dendy said:

@tgt21 said:
    Also i am still working completely ITB.

Me too.. but i think the way how i will use it would be - during production phase i will use Troublemaker (or later when it will be available Pure Acti AUv3) - and and the end, i just re-record all 303 parts from TD3 and replace plugins with audio to have most accurate TB sound possible :)

Regarding other HW synths i have - my way of using them is that i usually sample multi samples from them (f0,f1,f2,f3,..) and then i load those multisaples to sampler (NS Obsidian in my case), loop them and use them as building blocks for patches ... In this workflow, those multisaples are sampled without envelopes, so they are easy loopable and they serve basically as "oscillators" ...

here example - few patches i build using Behringer Neutron multisamples https://patchstorage.com/neutronium-obsidian-patches/

There are many ways how to use HW in combination with SW :-)

I think this is why music software is more interesting when it can also transmit midi/automation/CV out. I'm currently pushing for midi out of the Spacecraft Granular sequencer to trigger my modular.

• Which troublemaker is in the test? The original or the mod?

• @tgt21 said:
    I want to support @[Deleted User] by saying that i also hear a noticeable difference. In many situations, especially with fx in a dense arrangement, PA and also TM come close enough to replace a 303 IMO.
    But for me, its mostly the second example of the comparison, where PA and TM, and also TD3 cannot sufficiently reproduce this bubbly, bouncy sound of a 303 (words fail to describe this - just listen to some tracks from Emmanuel Top...). I think some tracks would not even exist without that special sound. On the other hand, the screaming distorted sound of a 303 can be reproduced by many clones appropriately.
    Of course this is my just opinion, but i think some other people grown up with acid would agree.
    Need to add that i love using the apps from @jimpavloff and @brambos. Both make a fantastic job and i would not hesitate to recommend their apps to anyone making music with IOS!

While there may be a “noticeable” difference I question whether it’s “significant”. Usually IMHO it isn’t but others have their own opinions. I agree that in an arrangement it would be close enough in many cases.

• @anickt said:
    While there may be a “noticeable” difference I question whether it’s “significant”. Usually IMHO it isn’t but others have their own opinions.

Exactly. I am trying to argue why it is "significant" for me, which does of course not mean that it is for others as well.

• Hardware vs software is so subjective and more relevant in terms of workflow

• @DaveMagoo said:
    Hardware vs software is so subjective and more relevant in terms of workflow.

What do you mean exactly?

• edited December 2019

@DaveMagoo said:
    Hardware vs software is so subjective and more relevant in terms of workflow

It very much depends on musical style .. if you make minimalistic acid track with just 303 and few drums from 808 or 909, with just some reverb, and stuff like that - then probably you want to use real 303 (or at least good analog clone) because your target group are users who are sensitive to every single detail..

on other side - in most other styles, where 303 line is just part of track with lot of other sounds, eventually with applied distortion, lot of EQ-ing, or another effects - i really bet lot of money on fact that literally NOBODY will be able to identify if you used in track real 303, TD-3, Pure Acid or Troublemaker. Or Nanostudio Obsidian in many cases (i'm reffereing to my 303 emulation here )

I'm big 303 enthusiasst for many years. That's also reason why i bought TD-3. But i'm also realist. One thing are scientific comparisions without FX applied, just sound by sound. In extreme cases using spectral analyzers.

Completely different thing is using it in context of track with tons of FX applied ...

But it's great that everybody can choose favourite tools for his music ;)