Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - December 2019

Comments

• @richardyot said:

Nice energetic track that's chock full of exuberance. Strong groove and lots of interesting noises and parts. The bass is almost atonal, which I found a bit jarring at first but it grew on me over the course of the track. The percussion elements are great are really help to give the tune that uplifting feel. The way the sections suddenly jump around is also pretty cool and lends to the fun vibe. I can imagine this one filling many a dancefloor.

Thanks for the listen 🙏 Yeah fun-vibe was definitely intentional... 😉
    That bass line was a bit of an accident... I linked the Midi from iBassist to the part in Grooverider. But I didn't sync the Midi Clock, so when I recorded, it didn't start recording on the 1... But I liked and kept it eventually...🙂

• @FunkMachine said:
    Hey, everyone. Here’s my new track “Wave”.

For the leads and basses I used the Korg iWavestation synthesizer. For the drums and percussion: I used 909 samples, LinnDrum samples from F9 audio, and some samples from the Simmons Clap Trap. I then mixed and processed the stems in Ableton.
    While I’m not sure what genre this is, I do hope you enjoy it.

this has an 80s vibe about it ... Madonna, Lucky star/ Borderline ... authentic 80s sounding B)

• First time I've posted on the "Song of the Month" forum. Here's my entry -

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Enjoy the old school vibe here. Well produced and mixed, great work.

@richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

They say pride precedes a fall
    Didn't occur to you at all
    So it took you down
    Now your life is upside down

This is what you are
    This is who I see
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?
    We are living day-to-day
    Can we muddle through OK?
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?

I am who I'm meant to be
    And you are meant to be with me
    If tell you now
    That I'm glad that you're around

This is what you are
    This is who I see
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?
    We are living day-to-day
    Can we muddle through OK?
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?

Love the introductory ambiance. It's something I've been trying to improve on.
    I was getting major nostalgia vibes from the vocals. What did you use for the bass? Was it an actual bass?

• @Samflash3 said:
    Love the introductory ambiance. It's something I've been trying to improve on.
    I was getting major nostalgia vibes from the vocals. What did you use for the bass? Was it an actual bass?

Thanks! The Bass was ISEM, using the preset Simple Bass 2.

• edited December 2019

@Samflash3 said:
    First time I've posted on the "Song of the Month" forum. Here's my entry -

Good stuff, some very nice synths and samples in there - it sounds like a clip-launched performance to me (Launchpad or Ableton Live type of track).

The groove is solid, the driving beat keeps the head nodding, and the mangled vocal samples are really cool. Lots of ebb and flow with the different parts weaving in and out.

The one thing I didn't like was the stutter effect, it totally took me out of the track and I found it jarring, but the rest of it was all good, especially the lead synth sounds and the vocal samples.

• @richardyot said:

@Samflash3 said:
    First time I've posted on the "Song of the Month" forum. Here's my entry -

Good stuff, some very nice synths and samples in there - it sounds like a clip-launched performance to me (Launchpad or Ableton Live type of track).

The groove is solid, the driving beat keeps the head nodding, and the mangled vocal samples are really cool. Lots of ebb and flow with the different parts weaving in and out.

The one thing I didn't like was the stutter effect, it totally took me out of the track and I found it jarring, but the rest of it was all good, especially the lead synth sounds and the vocal samples.

Thanks. And yeah, it was a BlocsWave, Launchpad, Garageband project. I'm still trying to figure out how to do transitions in melodies so I did the stutter a bit, but I do need to think of multiple ways to do transitions and expressing full ideas in multiple clips.

• edited December 2019

@richardyot - Love the 80s vibe synth bass, and the chimey-synth layer. Agree with the other person that complimented the vocal doubling. It adds a nice warmth. For some reason I got a very slight mid 80s Talking Heads vibe (in the best way possible). The music is a bit lighter, but the vocals are decidedly not so light. Maybe it's that same kind of contrast that's doing it. I like the slight juxtaposition, just like with Talking Heads. You seem getting comfortable in this style, which is awesome and I hope to keep listening to more - here's a friendly challenge given your skills: an uptempo a track. Not a dance floor banger (unless you want), just faster. Hmm. Or maybe a challenge I'm also wanting to take on but am a little afraid of, which is changing the tempo between chorus and verse, one way or the other. I just bought more vocals for Kontakt that are Lisa Gerrard style (Ethera Soundscapes 2.01), so I might explore something orchestral-ish and try a tempo change (no promises). B)

@orchardman - I like the piano portions. I think it was richardyot that said he wished the vocalist was more "present" in the room. I agree. Not sure if you used a reverb or if it was just recorded that way... if a reverb, you could try adding a goodly amount of pre-delay next time, plus sync it to the song tempo. That might open it up more. Maybe more EQ, otherwise, to carve out some of those low-mid frequencies and boost the highs. She has a pretty voice. Strong song - I liked it, and am always a bit of a sucker for a good, gothy power ballad.

@iOSTRAKON - Of course I love electro-industrial, so I'm trying to not let that bias me like it will probably, anyway. Making me think a little bit of old Collide or even a bit of old i:scintilla (at their best) or something. 3min in or so a little bit of a musical ode to Skinny Puppy in the breakdown. The only thing I can say is that I wish it had a portion that upped the tempo - maybe the end? Good stuff!

@enc - Damn, I'm getting more convinced I need to try some vocoded vocals in a track. So thanks for that :-) Nice downtempo kind of chill track. I sometimes wished the acid lead was a little more washed out/less resonant for the tempo... and/or a little more delay or room reverb. It got a little biting by 3min in. I really liked the ambience of the rest of the track beneath the lead, and the vocals went well with all of it.

@DavidEnglish - Liking the ambient dub kind of vibe you have going. Slightest hints of Enigma or old Delerium (Semantic Spaces and the next couple releases). Oh, nice plucky guitar. That fits in nicely and mixes thingsup - I could've used a bar or two of that without the bass drum, maybe around the 3min mark somewhere. I think you could keep exploring this style.

@uglyskratch - Not my pallette of sounds (nor was it probably yours!), so nothing but respect for being able to assemble things into a good song, and do it all in GR16. I liked the middle portion from 1-130 or so, and the 2min or so point, as well, with the vocal samples. I don't think I could bring myself to do a challenge like that - I like my options too much! Nicely done.

@FunkMachine - Wavestation is just such juicy 80s, and then the drum samples, as well, are taking me back in time. Genre? If I was making one up, I'd say it was a synthwave pop instrumental? Who cares - it was well done and fun to listen to. So far as I listen, the 130 or so mark with that arppegiated synth is my favorite part. Fishing for something constructive... I guess maybe it could've been trimmed in length (maybe transition from 315 to 343 or so as the ending was better than the preceding passage).

@Samflash3 - Sweet synthy intro. I didn't mind the glitchy/stuttering, but I think it's the overall transition around 112 after it that maybe stood out, in that it didn't quite flow as well. Good groove going, and I like the breaks where you drop it out around 140ish and bring it back with some vocal sample effects. Given that I liked the intro, you can probably guess I liked the outro, as well. Heh. I'd love to hear more. Posting tracks isn't so hard after all, I hope. Certainly easier than finishing them, at least for me!

• Wow, alot of good stuff posted already this month. Not sure if i will make it this month.

• edited December 2019

My contribution is a funky Christmas in the maniac mansion to all of us!

https://soundcloud.com/kitusai/maniac-mansion

• Very electro-ambient-jazzy, and very different. I liked it. Not sure how it's Christmas related, other than timing, but it was fun and funky. You maintain just enough control and repetition so it doesn't feel like a random music salad - I mean really walking the line. Which makes me think of improv jazz. Thanks for sharing it!

• @vitocorleone123 Thanks and well, maybe a Tim Burton's Christmas ? ;)

• I don't post on here often enough but I found this little track I was working on in Studio One. Pretty happy with it.

• @Kitusai said:
    My contribution is a funky Christmas in the maniac mansion to all of us!

https://soundcloud.com/kitusai/maniac-mansion

Funky Christmas indeed! Love that bass line, and the lead instruments that are right on the edge of dissonance, cool sound - experimental but still musical thanks to that bass which anchors the track and keeps it flowing.

• @Kitusai nice funky track. I do like the recurring horns throughout. Keeps it cohesive. It was a pretty fun listen.

@Samflash3 I love the launchpad app. Sounds very launchpad app. Some of those sound packs are just great. Nice arrangement/performance. Kept it moving without too much of the glitchy effects, beat repeats. Just enough.

@richardyot Lovely vibe. I could see this as the soundtrack to a late 80’s film, where the character is in a progression or transition.

@orchardman Like the piano. Lost a bit of steam for me half way through but nice ending.

@iOSTRAKON great job. love the vocals and the mix with the rest of the track. Took us on a fun sonic journey.

@enc some 80s SyFy. Good energy. kept it moving and interesting. Everything seemed to be mixed well.

@DavidEnglish Great use of the Launchpad app. I always try and buy a couple packs when they have a sale. They are so much fun and you did a great job keeping it interesting and flowing.

@FunkMachine very fun track. had me bouncing and working.

@vitocorleone123 I like the vocal/chorus sounds. Really fit the mix well. Good arrangement.

• @enc said:
    Bit of a mish-mash of styles and gear used in my entry this month.

Acid sequence is by Pure Acid sequenced by Yamaha QX21 sequencer. Drums from iSpark. Vocoder, string pads and sub bass by Microkorg, Second bass line by Roland SH01A. Ambient synth riff by Behringer MS1 through Boss RV-6 pedal.

Sweet!

• @TheAudioDabbler said:
    I don't post on here often enough but I found this little track I was working on in Studio One. Pretty happy with it.

Very good track, a most enjoyable listen.

The main theme which kicks off the track is beautiful and acts as an anchor while the drums and percussion evolve around it. The percussion is also very good, cool found-sound type sounds but arranged in a very funky and groovy way so that it keeps the toes tapping. The changes in the rhythmic arrangement are what keep the track flowing and they work really well with some really interesting and intricate rhythms.

Then at the end the second melodic theme comes in, before giving way again to the original theme that closes the track. Overall the track is a really effective combination of rhythm and melody with a great vibe and some very strong composition skills.

• abandoning my sled for a few (good) moments:

@richardyot still charming pop flavor and personal style. It seems that you are on your way for a very good double album. I believe in you :-)

@orchardman you extend your ‘palette’ month after month with this very good dark metallic ballad. Well done and good sound.

@IOSTRAKON I love this dark kind of Massive Attack atmosphere with lancinant beat and distorsion. Top vocal too! Impressive.

@enc it’s not my preferred kind of music but it is very well done and good sounding with a good break. Bravo for the video too!

@DavidEnglish I appreciate the atmosphere (it begins as a true Christmas music ;-) and especially the beat and percussions sounding. Many variations and instrumentations maintains attention all along.

@FunkMachine I think you made the most happy music of the month!

@vitocorleone123 Very entertaining (right word?) with this powerful drumming

@Samflash3 Very well done, the sounds are top mixed everything staying live and clear. Something to dance with!

@TheAudioDabbler Excellent. I enjoy a lot the sounds and the underlying drama. II don’t feel it zen but for sure I like it!

• Had exams so I wasn't able to listen to all.

@DavidEnglish That's an interesting use of LaunchPad. Gives a mystery vibe. What did you use for the whistling melody?

@TheAudioDabbler Appreciate your comments on my song. I got a tropical downbeat hip hop feel with your song. Great vibe with a lot of mystery. I loved how the groove was maintained, and the sharp melodies halfway that remind me of a mix of a vintage piano out in the rain combined with sharp glass. Loved the overall atmosphere.

@Kitusai I haven't been able to recreate 80s style of music but you handled that well. I was kinda expecting a horn solo with some Arcade Synth sounds in the break before the final chorus as a homage to the NES version of Maniac Mansion (that's the version I know lol). Also, a few times two horns clashed (e.g. 0:46 and 1:01). It may have worked if the volume of one was slowly decreasing while the other was increasing.
    Overall, it was a great track and I am going to use this track as a reference for the 80s synth sound I'm hoping to do in a later project.

• @FunkMachine

Super dope track man!! You should see me dancing with my headphones in around the fireplace 😜
    Got a lot of 80s vibe. I heard a huge palette of 80s artists in this... A bit Talking Heads and even this one small part reminds me of Prince... 👌 really uplifting positive song which makes me wanna dance.

• @iOSTRAKON I really like the stereo-delayed percussive and vocal elements that are incorporated in the beginning. I think the bit-reduced almost industrial percussion gives the song a very interesting flow. And the lead vocalist has a really wonderful voice that I thought was well-produced. While it's not what I normally would listen to, I can really respect the talent and production that went into this.

• @vitocorleone123 The drums are mixed beautifully with the rest of your arrangement and they make the track for me, personally. I really dig the SE-02 mid-bass tone you got and it really compliments the percussion, synths, and vocal patches. The staccato synth lines sound very "space age" in a nostalgic but new way and it was quite nice to hear this exotic piece.

• @vitocorleone123

Cool song! Got surprised a lot of times, when it shifts slightly the direction.. How you made the drums? And The female vocals is it a sample?

I like that shift at 1:45 and the 'exotic' sound at the end

• @enc I really need to start incorporating squelchy tb-303 lines into my productions. First, the video is a fantastic addition to your song. The droning pads and panned skippy percussion that play while the lead acid bass sits in the center created a very cool house groove. Great job.

• @Samflash3

I like it! Some solid groove. Nice sounds that you picked! How you made the stutter effect on the iPad?

• @uglyskratch said:
    @Samflash3

I like it! Some solid groove. Nice sounds that you picked! How you made the stutter effect on the iPad?

GarageBand has the live loops feature that allows you to do stutters. I also use LaunchPad (after I send my mixes to it via BlocsWave). All free apps, although I recommend the Blocs Wave unlock.

• @Samflash3

Yeah some guy last month already made me curious to make more use of BlocsWave (I even got the unlock). And I even put some of my loops inside since then :-) Have to check out the Launchpad App... Have ignored it so far... Thanks for the answer man!

• edited December 2019

My entry, i'm in a bit of a struggle with time this month. So i thought i would make a track of a jam session with pure acid while exploring the possibilities of the app. I like it alot.
    Will comment on the tracks posted before 2019 ends , i promise😁.

• Sorry for being late with my comments this month. I have been laid up with a nasty case of man flu. Thanks for the feedback on our song. One of these days I am going to please everybody with my vocal mix. Anyway here we go;

@richardyot I think this is probably the best I heard you on here. Everything just comes together, great intro (as usual these days), great bassline and solid production all coming together to produce a really good song. Also I’m loving the harmonies on the vocals. Great job.

@iostrakon great production and a really strong song. Loving the vocals although when you have got such a great singer it seems a shame to put too many effects on which I thought you did in a couple of places. Also I found the cranky industrial sounding percussion a distraction. Overall though really good.

@enc nice production although I found it a bit repetitive particularly the main riff being played over and over again. Brilliant video which really pulled it all together. Loved the bits wit Fred Astaire.

@DavidEnglish nice production with some interesting textures. It did sound a little one paced maybe drop the drums out from time to time to break it up a little.

@uglyskratch sorry mate the link to your song was broken when I tried it on 22 December. Can you repost it. Thanks

@funkmachine great overall production, loved the bassline and the synth arpeggios. Only criticism was the slightly off key synth sound you used in the intro which didn’t really work for me.

@vitocorleone123 I wasn’t sure that the intro synth part went very well with drums and bass sound at the start but the vocal samples pulled it altogether nicely. Nice exotic eastern vibe at the end.

@samflash3 great overall production with lots of interesting things going on. I particularly liked the intro. Good job

@Kitusai funky little number loving the bassline. The slightly off key horns shouldn’t work but they do. As always something different and interesting from you. Loving it.

@TheAudioDabbler nice overall production loved the way you built up the air of tension throughout the piece.

@Elvisthenrodent this so not my thing and perhaps on another day I would have turned it off before I got halfway through. Actually though I found it strangely hypnotic and I loved all the tweaks to the filters and rhythms. It must al, drugs I gave been taken for my man flu but I really liked this.

Happy holidays people. Have a good one and see you on the other side.