Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Polyphase, is there another generative app that does what it does better?

Comments

• @zeropoint said:
    Woah....this > @palms said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    Do these have 'separate lanes' or do they both follow the main pattern of that track?

4 separate sequence lanes. 2 cc's per lane. You can lock sequences in place, or have them regenerate with varying degrees of randomness (lots of control). The top lane is the master lane. you can set it so that the lower lanes are dictated by the master lane, or you can have them do their own thing.

So the same patterns sends to 2 ccs ? Or is there a way to generate separate patterns for each?

Thanks

yup, same pattern for the pairs of cc’s

• ^ ok. thanks....

• Damn, this is so very good. Just needs midi learn for the controls and this becomes NDLR for the iPad .

Makes the ideal performance midi feeder for the Perfourmer MK 2 that I don’t have.... I shudder to think how long I would be away with the fairies if I did.

• @palms said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    Can Polyphase’s parameters be ‘Midi-learned’ so the app can controlled by an external midi controller?

I'm really glad I looked into this further. I hadn't realized that there was another layer to the midi panel until now. Turns out you can control nearly every parameters via midi cc. You can modulate parameters of lanes using "internal cc" or simply map it to an external midi source.

pictured here is the master channel's cc, but each tab at the top allows you to set cc for every parameter of each lane, the synth, FX, and Functions such as snapshots, keys, scales, chords etc.. this is amazing.

Awesome fun Midi Learning this with a controller tonight.

My favourite purchase of BF weekend.

• @zeropoint said:
    Damn, this is so very good. Just needs midi learn for the controls and this becomes NDLR for the iPad .

Makes the ideal performance midi feeder for the Perfourmer MK 2 that I don’t have.... I shudder to think how long I would be away with the fairies if I did.

Did you see the above post from palms earlier?

Midi Learned this tonight. Super fun.

Unless there were other specific controls you meant? Transport maybe?

• @audiblevideo @[Deleted User] @palms @AudioGus

You guys were right. The inbuilt synth itself is lovely. I've not even hooked it to external stuff yet. Definitely a nice 'bonus' to the app.

Much like how Xynthesizr's synth is so nice.

Nice to be able to control Polyphase's synth with MidiLearn even without the GUI.

Love it!

• Lol. Yeah...just noticed the midi learn button. It’s so dark when it’s off as to almost be invisible at the low brightness setting I use. Yup, this is great.....thanks

• @zeropoint said:
    Lol. Yeah...just noticed the midi learn button. It’s so dark when it’s off as to almost be invisible at the low brightness setting I use. Yup, this is great.....thanks

Cool. Have fun!

• Polyphase is so pretty...

• edited December 2019

Nice update to Polyphase today.

Some of the advanced Random settings at the bottom available to MidiLearn now too.

A few other bits in the update.

• edited April 2020

@rs2000 said:

@gkillmaster said:

Another (much more fun) example of a generative app with some user control is Oscilab.

Wow, thanks! Fun, fun app! :)

• Although I’ve mapped the channel mutes, they won’t toggle on and off. If they are muted I can unmute them but I can’t mute them once they are on.....

Anyone got this working ?

Also , is there a setting for where each track is panned in the stereo field ? Or is the panning just on or off ?

Thanks

• @palms said:

@gkillmaster said:
    Kind on the fence about this one...

If you're into minimalist, generative, rhythmic fun, I don't think there is a better one on the platform. You can quickly get complex phase sequences, or get into some gorgeous, non-repeating generative realms. The options are pretty deep without a lot of menu diving.

The comparisons to fugue machine are surface level only. this is an entirely different type of thing. FM doesn't really do generative. I find this to be much, much more inspiring (and I do like FM)

I really like Fugue Machine as well, but I think sometimes it is too constant. I'd like to be able to take the MIDI output from each of the FM heads and run it into something that will randomly subtract or change the MIDI values within a set of parameters - I can't figure out if Polyphase can do that - and if it can't, is there an app out there that can?

• @michaeloreilly said:

@palms said:

@gkillmaster said:

If you're into minimalist, generative, rhythmic fun, I don't think there is a better one on the platform. You can quickly get complex phase sequences, or get into some gorgeous, non-repeating generative realms. The options are pretty deep without a lot of menu diving.

The comparisons to fugue machine are surface level only. this is an entirely different type of thing. FM doesn't really do generative. I find this to be much, much more inspiring (and I do like FM)

I really like Fugue Machine as well, but I think sometimes it is too constant. I'd like to be able to take the MIDI output from each of the FM heads and run it into something that will randomly subtract or change the MIDI values within a set of parameters - I can't figure out if Polyphase can do that - and if it can't, is there an app out there that can?

Polyphase does not process midi notes from other apps, only its own. There areits of Mozaic scripts you could use to add a bit of swing, velocity changes etc to the midi coming from Fugue before u pipe it elsewhere

• @Gavinski said:

@michaeloreilly said:

@palms said:

@gkillmaster said:

Polyphase does not process midi notes from other apps, only its own. There areits of Mozaic scripts you could use to add a bit of swing, velocity changes etc to the midi coming from Fugue before u pipe it elsewhere

Thanks Gavinski! On another subject, I know you are a fan of Gauss. I got an email from Bram Bos this morning about Gauss - he indicated that working at higher iOS sample rates could yield better sounding loops especially at .5 playback speed and lower. He also indicated that "any host which allows control/automation of AU Parameters should allow you to (map the control strip to another controller). E.g. in AUM" - I did not know AUM can do that - maybe there is a tutorial in there somewhere? Best!

• @michaeloreilly said:

@Gavinski said:

@michaeloreilly said:

@palms said:

@gkillmaster said:

Thanks Gavinski! On another subject, I know you are a fan of Gauss. I got an email from Bram Bos this morning about Gauss - he indicated that working at higher iOS sample rates could yield better sounding loops especially at .5 playback speed and lower. He also indicated that "any host which allows control/automation of AU Parameters should allow you to (map the control strip to another controller). E.g. in AUM" - I did not know AUM can do that - maybe there is a tutorial in there somewhere? Best!

I'm pretty sure I covered that in my AUM tutorial, no?

• I finally gave in and bought it. It’s neat, but not exactly inspiring. The only truly good generative thing on iOS I’ve found is Xequence I think it’s called. And I think there’s an Xequence 2. Whichever one or both that has the generative function.

• Any word on polyphase update?

• @Gavinski said:

@michaeloreilly said:

My bad! You did cover it - I haven't had a chance to get into it yet - total noob here, so that section left me wanting more. :-)

• @oat_phipps said:
    I finally gave in and bought it. It’s neat, but not exactly inspiring. The only truly good generative thing on iOS I’ve found is Xequence I think it’s called. And I think there’s an Xequence 2. Whichever one or both that has the generative function.

@michaeloreilly said:

@Gavinski said:

@michaeloreilly said:

My bad! You did cover it - I haven't had a chance to get into it yet - total noob here, so that section left me wanting more. :-)

If you expect an app to work in a specific way then more often than not, you're going to drift into DIY zone.
    Here's a Drambo project that works a bit like Oscilab but adds an adjustable random component.
    Nothing fancy but certainly a good basis for doing your own experiments.
    https://patchstorage.com/pseudo-random-playground/

• @audiblevideo said:
    PolyPhase Midi is solid, and the generative stuff is great.

Set up the probabilities of note playing, the base note timing, and the rest of the lanes/voices sync to the lead. Scales and chords can be chosen on the fly. Notes can be manually drawn and frozen. Snapshots can be saved and recalled.

On top of it all, the synth inside it is great.

Reminds me, I have to go and give an updated rating of 5⭐️ On the App Store

I’d forgotten how great the synth sounds. Back in my rotation, thanks to this thread being bumped!

• I don’t know how to trigger 4 differents iOS synths on my iPad with the 4 tracks of Polyphase. I want to use Polyphase as a step sequencer for my iOS synth but I don’t know how. In AUM if possible. Anyone can help me? Thanks

• @Montreal_Music said:
    I don’t know how to trigger 4 differents iOS synths on my iPad with the 4 tracks of Polyphase. I want to use Polyphase as a step sequencer for my iOS synth but I don’t know how. In AUM if possible. Anyone can help me? Thanks

Hopefully this will get you going.

• disable polyphase from generating its own midi clock and receive clock from aum
    • Set aum to send midi clock to polyphase
    • set polyphase to send midi to aum and not to itself
    • In aum, set channel filters so each aum lane only receives on a single midi channel
    • In aum route midi from polyphase to the four lanes

Not shown was disabling the sound generation in polyphase, look for the speaker icon on the lower-right, right above the panic button.

• Forgot how fun this was

• @xor said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    I don’t know how to trigger 4 differents iOS synths on my iPad with the 4 tracks of Polyphase. I want to use Polyphase as a step sequencer for my iOS synth but I don’t know how. In AUM if possible. Anyone can help me? Thanks

Hopefully this will get you going.

• disable polyphase from generating its own midi clock and receive clock from aum
    • Set aum to send midi clock to polyphase
    • set polyphase to send midi to aum and not to itself
    • In aum, set channel filters so each aum lane only receives on a single midi channel
    • In aum route midi from polyphase to the four lanes

Not shown was disabling the sound generation in polyphase, look for the speaker icon on the lower-right, right above the panic button.

Wow, thanks a lot!

• I don’t know if this is the most recent thread, but I just got an update for Polyphase BETA

Now has Ableton LINK!!!

This is HUGE!

Just started doing some testing and going by initial results, I’m gonna say tonight is going to be a late nite! This is awesome! (I didn’t even have to go into AUM’s settings and disable anything!)

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    I don’t know if this is the most recent thread, but I just got an update for Polyphase BETA

Now has Ableton LINK!!!

This is HUGE!

Just started doing some testing and going by initial results, I’m gonna say tonight is going to be a late nite! This is awesome! (I didn’t even have to go into AUM’s settings and disable anything!)

Also on beta and super stoked that link has been added. Hopefully public update coming soon, should help people use this app more regularly and more easily.

• Yeah, it’s really nice using link with desktop and hardware stuff as well…

• Definitely my current favourite on iOS. Where it wins for me is its logical UX, friendly UI and the musicality of its results.

However, having been a Koan user in the past on the desktop, and having kept tabs on the amount of development that's gone into Intermorphic's evolutionary offering Wotja (21), I'm thinking of subscribing for a few months to see how I get on. I know that subs aren't very popular here on the AB forum. But as long as Intermorphic add as much value into the Wotja 22 lifecycle as they have in Wotja 21, it will provide reasonble value. Having Wotja as an AUv3 extends it's value significantly for me.

Polyphase is something I use mainly to generate phrases that might be a starting point for a new production. Wotje is more something that I can see myself using to generate constantly modulating soundscapes for background listening (at least this is the way I used Koan in the past). Over the years iPadOS has become a very powerful platform for generative music with strengths that can't be matched by desktop production environments. I'm not suggesting iPadOS is better but it has significant strengths that set it apart.