Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sending outputs of many channels to the same recording app: why are there still only 2 channels?

edited November 2019 in General App Discussion

Hello everyone

I'm playing around with Audiobus3 and Group The Loop (GTL), an incredibly flexible looper app.

I have my guitar plugged to iOS, and I'd love to apply different Audio Unit effects to it, where I can choose from while looping.

I felt like it would be a cool thing to create different channels in Audiobus, each connecting to my guitar, but each having a different Audio Unit effect (I use Tonebridge).

Then by sending the output to GTL, I hoped that I could choose in GTL's input settings between all those different channels.

But sadly, I always only see 3 of them:

• Audiobus 1+2
  • Audiobus 1
  • Audiobus 2

Does Audiobus only support a single STEREO-output this way?

Is there another way to achieve what I want?

Thank you.

Comments

• Maybe try using Solo on the track you want to choose in the Audiobus Mixer?
    GTR only connects to the AB Stereo Master Out, so using the AB internal Mixer, along with Solo/Mute track settings, would be how you control what is coming out of the Stereo Master Out.

• ^This.

You can also set up just one track with all three FX instances on it and turn off all but one of them at a time. With MIDI learn you can even do this by midi.

• Thanks, guys, for explaining.

What's the advantage then of using the AB Stereo Master Out, instead of my external soundcard's one?

You can also set up just one track with all three FX instances on it and turn off all but one of them at a time. With MIDI learn you can even do this by midi.

The thing is that at the time being, I don't have a MIDI controller of any sort, only an Apple Magic Keyboard, which I can use from within GTL as kind of a MIDI replacement. So while I have GTL open and running, I can't change anything "outside" of it anymore (e.g. in Audiobus). And from within GTL I can only change the input channel by MIDI.

Just for the records (1): while GTL in fact can assign Audio Unit effects to its main input, it is not possible to change them by MIDI (making it useless in a live looping session where quick change is necessary).

And again for the records (2): while GTL allows to assign Audio Unit effects to each loop, it does not apply the effect while recording the loop, but only when playing it back.

Because of these 2 drawbacks of GTL, I somehow need to be able to change the effects on the main input outside of GTL.

One possibility seems to be: as I have a Zoom U-44 with 4 input channels, this would allow me to have at least 4 different channels configured in Audiobus, each one sending to one of the 4 channels. From within GTL, I can connect to those by pressing a key on my keyboard (e.g. 1, 2, 3, and 4).

I will give this a try and report back soon.