Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MacBook Black Friday Deals.. Who's Got the Best Bang for the Buck...What Do You Recommend... ?

Comments

• @mister_rz said:
    If the new 16” is anything to go by save your cash and plop it down when the 13” gets a refresh, spec’d to your liking, unless you see a bargain, if you wait, you might be able to get a better secondhand or refurbished deal, as the prices for mbp’s are usually the best when the new gen is out, especially when the new gen mbp fixes issues from the previous one or has a leap in features.

Got an absolute bargain on my 2011 15” mbp when the 2012 15” retina made its debut, secondhand, fully loaded, keyboard cover and case, mint condition, less then half the price of the same model, double the ram, from amazon. Got apple care and had the main board replaced when it crapped out on me, due to overheating. Personally tho the new direction for mbp, apart from everything being glued or soldered down still, makes me think there is life in the old dog, seems like a better investment.

I bought a MBP a few years earlier than the 2012 one I have, but sent it back. 2009 I think it was. It got so hot it actually burnt my legs. I considered putting a screen background photo of an electric bar fire on it and using it as a heater. Ridiculous, I even downloaded an app to keep the fans on constantly, but just browsing caused a meltdown. Was pleasantly surprised with the (non-retina) 2012.

• @MonzoPro said:

@mister_rz said:
    If the new 16” is anything to go by save your cash and plop it down when the 13” gets a refresh, spec’d to your liking, unless you see a bargain, if you wait, you might be able to get a better secondhand or refurbished deal, as the prices for mbp’s are usually the best when the new gen is out, especially when the new gen mbp fixes issues from the previous one or has a leap in features.

Got an absolute bargain on my 2011 15” mbp when the 2012 15” retina made its debut, secondhand, fully loaded, keyboard cover and case, mint condition, less then half the price of the same model, double the ram, from amazon. Got apple care and had the main board replaced when it crapped out on me, due to overheating. Personally tho the new direction for mbp, apart from everything being glued or soldered down still, makes me think there is life in the old dog, seems like a better investment.

I bought a MBP a few years earlier than the 2012 one I have, but sent it back. 2009 I think it was. It got so hot it actually burnt my legs. I considered putting a screen background photo of an electric bar fire on it and using it as a heater. Ridiculous, I even downloaded an app to keep the fans on constantly, but just browsing caused a meltdown. Was pleasantly surprised with the (non-retina) 2012.

Yeah a lot of the 2000’s aluminium macs were like george foreman grills had the old 12” powerbook, loved it but couldn’t use it on my lap without thick trousers. 2012-2015 mbp’s where a high point imo, user upgradable, easy to work with if you needed to repair it yourself. Always found it strange how you could run a heavy session in your daw and the fans would slowly kick in, go online and almost instantly, was like a plane getting ready for takeoff.

• I plugged my 2012 15” mbp in 2 weeks ago and a spark blew out the graphics card. I was sad because I thought I would have to get a newer Mac that I couldn’t change in so easily (I have 2 2.5” ssd’s in it, plus 16gb ram and the battery is a piece of cake to change, actually all of it is). There’s a guy near me that refurbishes Macs, which is where I got this from. I was going to get a 2015 15” with quad i7 (my 2012 was also quad i7 from an earlier generation) for $800, but when I got there, he had another 2012 waiting for me, same specs, new battery, for $350, I dropped my 2 ssd’s and my ram in there and will be careful about plugging in my Mac while it’s on a carpet at a sound gig...

no desire to get a newer model mbp anytime soon. I got a uad Apollo x8 this summer, so that gives me plenty of processing power.

• @klownshed said:

@kobamoto said:
    I've got an early 2015 13" 2.9 i5 myself , was I one of the lucky ones or did the issues just start right after that cause that thing has never faulted once, never had a second thought about the key-bed?

Yours is the last 13” MBP model before the butterfly keyboards I think.

If your MacBook has only USB-C ports it’s the newer, butterfly keyboard infested model.

ahh I see, yeah mine is not the usb c, it's the same model as Jumpercollins, no wonder I feel left out of the whole butterfly affect :)

• @kobamoto said:

@klownshed said:

@kobamoto said:
    I've got an early 2015 13" 2.9 i5 myself , was I one of the lucky ones or did the issues just start right after that cause that thing has never faulted once, never had a second thought about the key-bed?

Yours is the last 13” MBP model before the butterfly keyboards I think.

If your MacBook has only USB-C ports it’s the newer, butterfly keyboard infested model.

ahh I see, yeah mine is not the usb c, it's the same model as Jumpercollins, no wonder I feel left out of the whole butterfly affect :)

Good to know from others thought it was, sticking with it for a few years them moving on to this years 16” model.

• I can't handle the 16" screens, something about the balance throws me off I can only handle the 13" mackbook pro's, weirdly enough the 11"airbooks are my fav puters of all time but I can't stand the 13" screen on those....

bring back the 11" Apple!!!!

• so I'm thinking about grabbing this one what do you guys think.
    I found this guy online and had him meet me down at the applestore yesterday... the MacBook is sealed, never been touched, I had the apple people confirm for me that it wasn't stolen and that I could get applecare for it, it's still within the grace period for that.
    the only thing I'm worried about is the butterfly issues you guys have been talking about, I can't open the box before buying and try it out so I don't know what the keys are like although according to you guys this model still has the potential for those issues right?

on the other hand if the keys work correctly that's good enough for me, this is just going to be an ableton live machine, everything else I'll be doing on my older computer.

MacBook Pro 2019 13" 2.8ghz quad core i7
    16gb ram 512hd
    space grey

for $2100 (no tax)

• edited December 2019

If you were at the apple store, you could have tried the keys on one of the laptops there and seen what they were line yourself. Only the latest 16" MBP has the new keys, so any of the other laptops there would have had the butterfly keys. :)

I got the 16" MBP last night for a couple hundred off thanks to holiday sale at a local electronics store (they matched B&H's online deal). While it doesn't look THAT much bigger than the 2017 I was using side by side, it's noticeably heavier and larger to hold. Not that it's bad, but it's a little more than I was expecting.

The new keys are nice, really nice. So much quieter for a ham fisted typer like I am. ✊🏼

• @Tarekith said:
    If you were at the apple store, you could have tried the keys on one of the laptops there and seen what they were line yourself. Only the latest 16" MBP has the new keys, so any of the other laptops there would have had the butterfly keys. :)

Actually I did mess with the laptops there, they were fine imo, but seems as though everybody with the butterfly key laptops don’t all have the issues so there is no telling if I buy this one whether it will have them or not but the apple people told me that apple is providing extra warranty protection for anybody with an bad keyboard so I’m thinking it can’t be that big of an issue now that apple has admitted that some of them have problems and will fix them

I’m more concerned about the price and value, was thinking about what you said about the 32gb being ideal over the 16gb but I haven’t been able to find any 32gb deals on the same deal ratio as this one. $2100 is looking kinda good at a $622 savings

The other choice would be try to find a 32gb MacBook but it would have to be a less spec machine than this one in all other aspects than the ram....

The one I’m running now has done well for me since 2015 so I’m not planning to buy another one for the next 3-5 years

• omg. almost have to strangle my right hand with my left to keep from grabbing this instead of a the computer

super clean one on reverb

https://reverb.com/item/29309829-rare-korg-sb-100-synthe-bass-in-excellent-condition-serviced-and-calibrated

• edited December 2019

On second thought, 16GB isn't THAT bad considering the deal you're talking about. I wouldn't let that hold you back from getting the laptop you want if you're happy with everything else about it. :)

• well I got until tomorrow to pull the trigger, but it looks like I'm headed to the barn dance with this one.... I'm the type of person that has to research exhaustively down to the 3 minute mark lol

• I'm totally the opposite. I'm more like "oh look at shiny, must buy shiny..." 🤣

• @Tarekith said:
    I'm totally the opposite. I'm more like "oh look at shiny, must buy shiny..." 🤣

:D

• so is that only 2018 MacBooks, 2019 not an issue?

• @kobamoto said:
    so is that only 2018 MacBooks, 2019 not an issue?

Good question..... if it has a T2 chip it will probably glitch with a USB audio interface,

Maybe Tarekith could check his new 16 in 2019 Mac Book Pro with this link

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/11/20/mac-models-t2-chip-howto/

Have a look on GearSlutz.

• 16" MacBook Pro has T2 Chip

https://www.gearnews.com/new-16-inch-macbook-pro-with-killer-looks-and-sounds-but-keeps-the-t2-chip/

"The T2 security chip stays, and so does the potential for USB audio troubles with certain interfaces. The computer ships with macOS Catalina, which means some of your music software might not work right out of the box if you make the jump right now."

• edited December 2019

No issues here with any of my devices running as soundcards via USB. My Hilo, MC707, TR-8S, Line6 Stomp HX, and Traktor Z1 all work as soundcards just like they did on my previous other laptops, not a single glitch.

• @Tarekith said:
    No issues here with any of my devices running as soundcards via USB. My Hilo, MC707, TR-8S, Line6 Stomp HX, and Traktor Z1 all work as soundcards just like they did on my previous other laptops, not a single glitch.

whew... there's hope. Haven't even registered my new one yet gotta get on it tonight, re-installing apps is torture

@at2 thanks for the info

• What did you end up going with?

• edited December 2019

@Tarekith said:
    What did you end up going with?

I went with the 13" 2.8ghz i7 16gb/512
    I figure I'll know for sure if it doesn't work out within a week and will be able to get most if not all of my money back do to the deal

the tough thing looks like going from having all of those glorious ports to nothing but c :( next I'll be hunting down the smallest/lightest port adapter

• I bought a few new USB Leads instead of using adaptors. Much easier.

For example, i got a USB-B to USB C lead to plug in my Novation XioSynth/printer/Zoom U24/USB hub etc and I use a USB C to whatever the smaller USB plugs are called (I call them all bastards; they're the worst plugs in the world ever... It's impossible to plug them in properly first time.)

I also got a USB stick that has both the normal USB A and USB C connectors on them which makes transferring stuff a doddle. I've found the USB dongles to be unreliable and they don't work well with some of my USB sticks. Also plugging in my hard drives without an adaptor works perfectly, not so much with a dongle.

Say No to dongles... ;-)

• No Black Friday for me .. i simply brought a 16inch MacBook... given how quickly Apple makes their older models obsolete...

• I looooove USB-C. Now that I finally upgraded my personal MBP to the 16", I have one Thunderbolt cable to a CalDigit TS3 Plus hub/docking station, and it has my monitor, USB hubs, Thunderbolt audio interface, and external drives connected, and charges the MBP. Sooooo much nicer than having to deal with five different keyed cables like before.

• @at2 said:

Yeah major issue with all T2 chip Macs

https://cdm.link/2019/02/apple-2018-glitch/

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/11/20/mac-models-t2-chip-howto/

iMac doesn't yet have. T2 chip

Its the pits right! I mean Apple WTF

Reminds me of way back in the day when my lovely Mac LC III (I believe it was the LC III) ended up with MIDI issues. Wonderful thing to go through whilst attending music school. Was a fracking mess.

On the main topic, I did partake in some Black Friday deals, but mainly picked up a mid-2017 MacBook Air for my daughter and I was reading up on it and that model is still very well-received and should not have the janky keyboard. She'll do better with the keyboard and USB ports and the limitations of an Air will be fine for her use (non-music, unfortunately - must be a smart kid to not want to follow in dad's footsteps :wink: ). Also grabbed a mid-tier gaming laptop for one grandchild and the base iPad that was discounted heavily for another grandchild. Both with their own limitations (the laptop and iPad, not the grandchildren) but well-suited for their needs and not mine.

• edited December 2019

thanks for the Adapter tips , you guys have any recommendations on multi port Hubs, which hubs are you using for no fuss no hassle day to day use?