Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Goodbye iMS-20 [Sorry Not Exactly AB Related]

edited February 2013 in General App Discussion

Sorry slightly off topic from audiobus and apps, but I never really would of become interested in analog synths if it wasn't for all of the wonderful apps on iOS. That being said, I flipped out when I read korg is releasing this on May 14th

$599 will get you a 100% analog rerelease of the 1978 model including midi in and USB. It's 86% the same size as well, which doesn't matter to me. It's just funny going from a $30 app to $599 in a few months but to me it seems like a really good deal. I did this with the kaossilator app and the kaossilator pro with some Xmas money and don't regret it. Having iMS-20 with audiobus will still always be awesomenthough. I'm definitely going to pre order as soon as I get payed haha.

This is slightly old news, but hopefully someone who didn't know already sees this.

Comments

• $599 with no presets! Totally impossible to do presets with a synth like this so I'm not dissing, just saying. If you're not used to life without presets, consider it first!

• 599 is the price of something I'm in dire need if right now as well. An iPad 4.

• I love that korg is putting this out. I won't be after it but the price is amazing.

• Yeah I am very happy with korg lately after releasing audiobus support so quickly and putting out the polysix and all their apps on sale for the end of the year. I've wanted an analog synth for a while now but knew I can't afford to drop a few g's on a moog or even a used ms-20. But being able to get a new faithful rerelease of an ms 20 sounds incredible to me and its way cheaper than buying an old used one and having to worry about all that jazz.

• Speaking of Korg, I've not bothered with any of their apps so far because I have an aversion to apps that aren't universal or don't offer both an iPad and iPhone version, but man, did they ever get on top of Audiobus support FAST for all of their apps. They seem to be really responsive to what their users want.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Moog to update Animoog for iPhone and Filtatron :(

• Wasn't this released a few years ago?

• They had a mini version released with the Korg legacy series. Had cables and everything. Mini keys. I think it was like 30% smaller than the original keyboard.

• Wasn't the previous version just a controller for a soft synth? This is the real thing .... just a little smaller :)

• Yeah, the previous was just a controller. It just collected dust at my place so I sold it years ago.

• It's on top of my list. Annoying thing is the european pricing. In the US it's 599$ whereas in Europe 599€. That is about 800$ converted:(

• Think Customs would believe I'd taken it with me if I brought one back from vacation.... :)

• @syrupcore I'm guess on of the advantages of USB/Midi will be the ability to send settings through a editor/librarian. The knobs may not change to reflect the new settings, but it's still a drastic improvement.

Also, nothing wrong with having to mark down settings. It can actually give you a deeper relationship with your intrument, and improve your understanding of synthesis drastically.

Love the idea. Won't be buying one though. I have my heart set on a Tetra.

• @Skipp. If you say it's a original vintage synth from the 80s you may get a pass:).

• Yeah, my plan for saving settings will be to just put them in as close as possible on the ims-20 and save on there. It will be interesting to compare them after that.

• You could also take a photo with the ipad. I do this with my analog gear sometimes. Mic setups too!

• @syrupcore mic setups... i now have taped-out x marks all over my studio room floor with markings for mic direction and angle. always used to frustrate me when I'd find that perfect sweetspot for recording an acoustic and then lose it an hour later.

• Yeah those are good ideas, I like doing pictures for my guitar pedals as well.

One thing I haven't really messed with to be honest is midi. I see this has midi in so I'm under the impression I can take my godin guitar and plug it's midi out into the ms 20s midi in and play one note at a time controlling the korg with my guitars midi send? I have a Roland guitar synth I use the godin on. It would just blow my mind if my guitars midi send could control an analog synth. And if that would work I'd imagine I could send my kaossliator pros midi send to its midi in and play it that way? Might be a kinda stupid question but like I said my midi experimentation is pretty minimal.

• I am very impressed with the tonal quality of the Korg iOS apps. I used to own a MonoPoly but had to sell it for space reasons; getting them back on the iPad is great.

But I am significantly under-whelmed with their most minimal MIDI implementation. I speak particularly of the iPolySix since I have that one.

Yes, it hears MIDI, but no, it is not configurable, it listens on all output ports it can find, it plays channels 1 - 8 (2 synths + 6 drum pads) with no mute or reconfigurability, and so gets in the way of anything else you want to use alongside of it.

If they only added a switch to turn off this promiscuous listen and just provide a VM input port for other apps to choose to connect to that would fix it, in a most minimal way. Or do what other Apps do and implement connection lists. Currently I have to move everything else up into channels 9-16 so I don't hit it.

How is the iMS 20 MIDI implementation? Or their others?

Oh, and Korg are not the only minimal MIDI culprits (nanostudio? tracks not channel assignable??? No MIDI out?).

• iMS-20 is exactly the same......

Still great App and I'm getting back into it because of Audiobus. (I suspect there's the making of an interesting thread in that!)

• Hey guys, if you are worried about any app that doesn't have full midi control over in and outs / channel selection / note control... Etc.. You should definitely look into midi bridge.. I use it for the Korg apps so that I can specify which controllers ( hardware and software) are being sent to the different korg apps.(I use ims20 and ielectribe together quite often)

Ill also use it to send drum beats from funkbox to my hardware drum machine.. I have come up with some crazy setups and it seamlessly routed everything without latency ..

It has powerful mapping capabilities and the filtering ability allows you to control many things it would be hard to list ..

Interface is EH... Ok.... But it a powerful beast.

• well... just pre ordered it. $543.52 including tax and shipping. saved 15% woo! i know people are waiting for these to show up on ebay and save that way, but i am way too impatient.