Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New feature coming in Audiobus 2: State Saving

Comments

• edited February 2014

The latter. You click it, it opens up in Audiobus and the file it's pointing to on our servers has all the configuration data in it.

• How does it handle audio files? When I save a preset with loopy in it, does it know about my audio files? Similarly, Nave preset with a custom wave? Echopad loopers content?

I will be quiet now. Thank you.

• Wannnnnt!

• No audio files. Yet.

• Great!

If you open a multi input app like drumjam first in AB, you cant choose these, you have to open the App first then go into AB & open it there again than! You can choose the different channels, did AB2 fixed this?
    How does it handle this?

• Is there anything that can't be saved eg: midi channel setups within each app etc ?

• @obiwahnkentobi said:

Great!

If you open a multi input app like drumjam first in AB, you cant choose these, you have to open the App first then go into AB & open it there again than! You can choose the different channels, did AB2 fixed this?
    How does it handle this?

I guess you're asking about MIDI channels, right? Great question.

We're going to discourage third party developers to save MIDI information in Audiobus presets. This has two reasons:

1. Many things can be misconfigured by loading a preset with MIDI port and channel information. Some information about MIDI mapping to external controllers isn't even accessible for the users because apps hide that stuff internally. No app we currently know of would be able to display this kind of information in the way it would have to be presented because we're basically introducing a multi-user scenario to a single-user world.

2. We're planning to add MIDI routing to Audiobus at some later point, so that users have a visual representation of what's going on which they can conveniently manipulate in one place (and of course share via presets etc.).

• edited February 2014

Will the latency settings be expanded ?

Eg: 1024 frames etc....

• Also how will it handle apps that support state saving and those that don't in the same setup ?

• Thx sebastian, good to know too.
    No i mean the diff. Audio outputs.
    In case of Drumjam you can just patch only the instrument output into the AB system if you open DJ first. If you are open DJ inside of AB first its just the main output of the loop& instrument section together, you havent the option to patch it seperat.
    Sonosaurus told me that have to be in this way....

• @DaveMagoo said:

Will the latency settings be expanded ?

Eg: 1024 frames etc....

Yes, but it will be up to third party developers to support the new settings. You're still safest with 256 and 512.

@obiwahnkentobi said:

Thx sebastian, good to know too.
    In case of Drumjam you can just patch only the instrument output into the AB system if you open DJ first. If you are open DJ inside of AB first its just the main output of the loop& instrument section together, you havent the option to patch it seperat.

So you want different parts of the audio of apps to be routed separately?

• Will it work offline ?

• edited February 2014

@sebastian thanks for the answer.

Also, I think @obiwahnkentobi is asking about an app's discreet audio outputs being available before the app is loaded. If you close everything, load AB and insert Loopy into the input slot it only offers the main Loopy audio output. If you go back to the input slot after Loopy has been loaded, you can select a specific sub-output.

I'm guessing this needs to remain this way because how could AB know about available output ports until the app lets it know? In the case of Loopy, the app may have a total of 12 available outputs but if I set loopy up to only use 6 Loops, AB may offer me an output that isn't actually available.

• @DaveMagoo said:

Will it work offline ?

Yes.

• @syrupcore said:

@sebastian thanks for the answer.

Also, I think @obiwahnkentobi is asking about an app's discreet outputs being available before the app is loaded. If you close everything, load AB and insert Loopy into the input it only offers the main Loopy output. If you go back to the input slot after Loopy has been loaded, you can select a specific sub-output.

I'm guessing this needs to remain this way because how could AB know about available output ports until the app lets it know? In the case of Loopy, the app may have a total of 12 available outputs but if I set loopy up to only use 6 Loops, AB may offer me an output that isn't actually available.

Ahh... that's a problematic thing to answer. The current implementation of this multi port
    setup is not ideal because of the reasons you mentioned above (having to launch an app before getting access to the individual audio streams). It's something we need to fix but it's not solved in Audiobus 2.0, yet.

• @Sebastian Audiobus 2 is looking great so far, I was just wondering how are you getting on
    with the new (BUS SYNC) app clock,it's my temporary name for the method of synchronising
    apps that you hinted at in a previous thread which could potentially make midi clock between apps obsolete !

• Doesn't bother me at all (as in, it'd be last if I were assigning priorities in your github ticket queue!). I don't use it all that often and when I do, it's because I'm already in the app and want to send something specific out. At that point, the app is already loaded.

You mentioned in another thread about AB2 that we can save those specific output ports to an AB preset so perhaps that will solve @obiwahnkentobi problem. CAN NOT WAIT to save a 9 out Loopy -> Auria template (and then weep as my iPad 3 goes up in flames).

• @Sebastian said:

@obiwahnkentobi said:

Great!

How does it handle this?

I guess you're asking about MIDI channels, right? Great question.

We're going to discourage third party developers to save MIDI information in Audiobus presets. This has two reasons:

1. Many things can be misconfigured by loading a preset with MIDI port and channel information. Some information about MIDI mapping to external controllers isn't even accessible for the users because apps hide that stuff internally. No app we currently know of would be able to display this kind of information in the way it would have to be presented because we're basically introducing a multi-user scenario to a single-user world.

2. We're planning to add MIDI routing to Audiobus at some later point, so that users have a visual representation of what's going on which they can conveniently manipulate in one place (and of course share via presets etc.).

Oooh! MIDI routing!!! Do you have plans to save those settings in the preset as well? That would REALLY be a timesaver!!! Also, How about MIDI Sync?

• @Multitouch said:

@Sebastian Audiobus 2 is looking great so far, I was just wondering how are you getting on
    with the new (BUS SYNC) app clock,it's my temporary name for the method of synchronising
    apps that you hinted at in a previous thread which could potentially make midi clock between apps obsolete !

We understand that sync is a huge problem on iOS but it's not going to be a part of this 2.0 update.

• @Multitouch said:

@Sebastian Audiobus 2 is looking great so far, I was just wondering how are you getting on

Yes! Inquiring minds wanna know! :-)

• @Sebastian said:

@Multitouch said:

We understand that sync is a huge problem on iOS but it's not going to be a part of this 2.0 update.

....but is is a planned future feature?

• If it's a problem with iOS music making it's something I plan on fixing in the future.

• Translation: YES! Cool! Thanks for the response! :-)

• If MIDI Clock were made "obsolete" in AB, what would be the implications to syncing to external hardware?

• edited February 2014

AB1: Sending audio from app to app

AB2: Fully flexible app connection routing + deep preset save/load management

AB3: rock-solid sync and clean MIDI routing?

That'd be the end of the world as we know it

• @Zymos said:

If MIDI Clock were made "obsolete" in AB, what would be the implications to syncing to external hardware?

Audiobus would translate between external hardware and iOS apps.

• edited February 2014

@obiwahnkentobi said:

No,
    DrumJAm (DJ) have 2 Sections the Loop Section & the playable Instrument Section, you can route these two section seperat or together(MAIN) in AB but ONLY when you open DJ first outside of AB, then go the AB search DJ than you can select the 2 seperat outputs of DJ in the INPUT Section of AB. If you Start DJ in AB you dont have these options...

hope you understand....
    wenn nich versuch ichs nochmal in deutsch ;-) gruss tobi

• @obiwahnkentobi said:

@obiwahnkentobi said:

No,
    DrumJAm (DJ) have 2 Sections the Loop Section & the playable Instrument Section, you can route these two section seperat or together(MAIN) in AB but ONLY when you open DJ first outside of AB, then go the AB search DJ than you can select the 2 seperat outputs of DJ in the INPUT Section of AB. If you Start DJ in AB you dont have these options...

hope you understand....
    wenn nich versuch ichs nochmal in deutsch ;-) gruss tobi

Yep. I've responded to this later in the thread. Here's my answer again:

@Sebastian said:

Ahh... that's a problematic thing to answer. The current implementation of this multi port
    setup is not ideal because of the reasons you mentioned above (having to launch an app before getting access to the individual audio streams). It's something we need to fix but it's not solved in Audiobus 2.0, yet.

• @sebastian Can I ask One feature: AB forum inside The app :)

• @Sinapsya said:

@sebastian Can I ask One feature: AB forum inside The app :)

Ah yeah, that's a good one. Damn, we have to figure out how to do this decently...