Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best audio interface for iPad?

Hi all

Basically, I'm going to be buying my first synths - a drum machine (can't make me mind up between the Volca Drum, Behringer RD-8 and Uno Drum) and a synth (again, can't make my mind up, but I like the look of the Volca Bass and the Arturia Microfreak. Anyway, I digress). To enable to connect these synths to my iPad, what would you recommend? There are tons of different interfaces and I don't want to drop a booboo. I also want to spend as little as possible but without compromising too much on quality (obviously!). Is the iRig Duo any good?

Many thanks

Comments

• how many inputs do you want? Are you bothered about output?

• The new Motu M2 and M4 interfaces look good and are affordable.

• You'd need to connect all your gears at the same time at some point, right ?
    iRig Duo seems okay to start but won't let you connect much...
    I'd go for a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 :)

• If you don't need to record all gear at the same time to you iPad you could do with a simple stereo interface and a small mixer. E.g. a Zoom U22 and a Behringer 802 or 1002 depending on the number of channels you want.

• Thanks all, really appreciate it. @[Deleted User] i want I outputted of midi to iPad and output of audio to speakers. @balph, @crony and @brani - thanks, I’ll check each of those out. I’ll need two midi connections at first - one for each synth - but it would definitely be useful to have flexibility for future use, too. I’ll consider that. Off to look at the mentioned options...

• edited November 2019

Maybe you can take a look at the TC Helicon Blender. It has 6 inputs, 4 outputs, a Bluetooth IOS companion app, a compressor and a 12 input / 2 output, 24-bit 48 kHz USB audio interface. I bought it yesterday, still testing but looks promising.

• @Pierre118 said:
    Maybe you can take a look at the TC Helicon Blender. It has 6 inputs, 4 outputs, a Bluetooth IOS companion app, a compressor and a 12 input / 2 output, 24-bit 48 kHz USB audio interface. I bought it yesterday, still testing but looks promising.

Looks good - no midi, though?

• Pro Tipp: You do not need a MIDI Interface to play MIDI nodes on HW synth

I have the Korg XD, Behringer Pro-1 & Behringer K-2 (waiting for my RD-8)
    -> Just use cheapo USB-Hub and camera connection kit (e.g. Ipad <-> USB)

Regarding sound interface:

• I have Steinbert UR 22 mk2 (which has good sound) .... Just for info: besides beeing an audio interface it **has a MIDI-infterface **too (I do not use it, as I use USB)

Other piece of gear: Look at yamaha GX mixer (WITH USB audiointerface) (Behringer makes similar products)
    I have the MG12UXK. It works great with ipad (hint look at the software bundle: CUBASIS integration on board)

However the interface only supports one audio track:
    You can only record your entire mix!

However you silence each track on your mixer and record to a different channel.

However I just got the mixer just new a I struggle a bit:

• The sound level on USB recording is low (compared to UR 22)
    • The UR 22 mk2 sound better

Most likely I am doing something wrong with the mixer (my first mixer).
    Steinberg and Yamaha are in some kind of business relation:
    Steinberg interface contain Yamaha components. And Yamaha mixer are bundled with Steinberg Software
    -> regarding the specs should

• @balph said:
    The new Motu M2 and M4 interfaces look good and are affordable.

Yes. I will be grabbing the m4 myself soon.
    Focusrite Scarlett Gen 3 is another good one.

And apogee one and/or duet as long as u don’t have a usb-c iPad Pro.

• Apogee Duet is working with USB C iPad. You need a USB C hub, and the USB cable that comes with the interface. And yes, the Duet is probably the best interface concerning sound and AD/DA.

• @audio_DT said:

@Pierre118 said:

No, no midi. But as a audio interface it's unbeatable for the price. I paid around €100,- for it.

• @Phil999 said:
    Apogee Duet is working with USB C iPad. You need a USB C hub, and the USB cable that comes with the interface. And yes, the Duet is probably the best interface concerning sound and AD/DA.

The breakout cable is the work of the devil though.

• edited November 2019

@Phil999 said:
    Apogee Duet is working with USB C iPad. You need a USB C hub, and the USB cable that comes with the interface. And yes, the Duet is probably the best interface concerning sound and AD/DA.

I have the Apogee Duet .. great sounding box .. but the software app for it does not work with newer USB C iPads, so you’ll need to make all your adjustments with the big silver knob on the box. Another one that I also own is the RME Babyface Pro which to me actually sounds better than my Duet and has a full mixer app for it that includes EQ .. but it cost a bit more than the Duet. The Duet has USB midi only .. so if your running several or more hardware synths like me that only have 5pin midi you’ll need a solution to get midi to em from the Duet .. I use a Novation SL61mkII keyboard that has both USB and 5pin Midi in/out/thru and it works a treat with the Duet. The Babyface Pro has 5pin in/out built right into the chassis (no dongles) and I run a whole room full of old school synths and modules with it via a Kensington Thru 5 box. Others have given you ideas here .. but both Apogee and RME are top tier companies when it comes to DACs and interfaces .. and they ain’t cheap .. but my motto is buy once. Have fun.

• @Pierre118 said:

@audio_DT said:

@Pierre118 said:

No, no midi. But as a audio interface it's unbeatable for the price. I paid around €100,- for it.

It’s great for anything with a headphone socket :)

• @Phil999 said:

No sir, it doesn’t. I own them both (one and duet) . Audio playback works but no recording or audio control from apogee maestro. It’s because it uses MFi

• edited November 2019

Irig PRO IO is awesome but has only one input, don’t know if DUO is as good.

And +1 for Motu M2/M4, those new low prices audio interfaces seems to be really nice with excellent AD/DA, ultra low RTL drivers (doesn’t change anything on iPad), and other features. Plan to buy a M4 for my laptop.

• Zoom u44 can add a capsule to cover 2 stereo instruments in total. Its louder than normal inputs but can be set the same. Unbalanced out I think. Midi in/out.

• Arturia Audiofuse works well. Multiple audio Ins and Outs and has a 3 port USB hub as well as old school 5pin midi In and Out and a bunch of other bits and pieces...might be worth a look..

• edited November 2019

Totally happy with my Iconnectivity Audio4+.

My config:
    -Octatrack (Midi cc send & receive and clock send or receive)
    -TR-8
    -External Fx and other sampler & or synth on a mixer.
    -1 iPad Air3 with AUM

_Synths & drums: Noir, Fractal bits, Troublemaker, Ripplemaker, Stria, Polyphase, Xynthesizr, Tardigrain...

_FX on channel & or AuxSend: Eventide Blackhole, eventide Mangledverb, Kosmonaut, Eos2, perforator, K7D, Shaper, Grind, RoughRider, PumpHouse, Limiter...

_Midi tools & sequencer: MIDI SEND AUV3 from Apematrix (I prefere this one as Rozetta LFO), Octachron, Mozaic, Rozetta XoX, Rozetta bassine, in fact all of Rozetta suite it depend of my needs
    I often use Noir sequencer to trigger other synth in AUM and I try to constraine my midi notes for each synth.

-1 iPad Air2 with AUM
    I use this iPad only for mixing channels and have one AUM file player with Speech vocals and or backing tracks.
    In this AUM session I receive 1 stereo BUS channel from my Ipad Air3 connected via USB.
    Then I send this channel to the ICA4+ hardware output 1/2 to my Octatrack Stereo Inputs.

Finally I send the Master of my Octatrack back to the ICA4+ hardware inputs into my IPAD Air2 AUM session for final process like Eq, color, warm, dynamic process, , limiter

It’s a lot of fun and endless posibility 🤪👽
    If you have multiples IPad or iPhone this sound card is awesome with its matrix Midi & audio routing capability.
    My advice here is, use an iPad for only mixing and one other only for Synths & drums apps.
    With this setup the session is more stable, for live situation I need stability, no crash or bugs.
    Share the processor and RAM needs between idevices is the key I think.
    For this the Iconnectivity Audio4+ does the job pretty well 👍

The only things with this sound card is the fragility of the USB > lightening cable.
    Mine is unstable but I have an CCK so no worries 😉

• ICA4+ is amazing for me also the Zoom u44 is a very nice and cheap option.

• edited November 2019

Focusrite Scarlett Solo (gen 3) with a powered usb hub is working great for me both live and at home.

• edited November 2019

Behringer 1820. 8 inputs. Class compliant with midi in and out. Works without needing a powered hub. Just connect and go.

• Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. I really appreciate it and am currently comparing each, ready for imminent purchase 👍

• @cyberheater said:
    Behringer 1820. 8 inputs. Class compliant with midi in and out. Works without needing a powered hub. Just connect and go.

If this compatible with iPad? It doesn’t seem to be from what I’ve read so far. Looks great otherwise.

• @audio_DT said:

@cyberheater said:

If this compatible with iPad? It doesn’t seem to be from what I’ve read so far. Looks great otherwise.

its is, I had one before, you have to use the ipad volume to increase the volume i remember. IMO its sound pretty muddy. no offence.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@audio_DT said:

@cyberheater said:

its is, I had one before, you have to use the ipad volume to increase the volume i remember. IMO its sound pretty muddy. no offence.

Ah - cheers.

• There are so many options. Here's a short list of what I've tried so far.

• Behringer UCA222: Maybe the cheapest option but quite noisy.
    • Griffin iMic: One of the the smallest interfaces but again, quality is sub-par.
    • Focusrite iTrack Dock: Great sound, charges iPad and can mix a stereo line in with the iPad audio. Nice solution for combining one external groovebox with the iPad. Has both line and Mic inouts with switchable phantom power. MIDI only via 3rd-party MIDI interface to be connected to the iTrack's USB host port or by using a Bluetooth MIDI dongle.
    • Zoom UAC-8: Sounds great, has 8 audio i/o and MIDI but it's quite expensive
    • Zoom H1n: A surprisingly high quality stereo line-level A/D and D/A USB converter that doubles as a fairly good portable, battery-powered recorder. Needs CCK3 or a powered USB hub for powering when used with the iDevice. This is my little "dongle" for recording audio from any web site.
    • Alesis IO Dock: The old version can be had for little money and if you don't mind adding a 30-pin to Lightning adapter, it still works with newer iPads. Has phantom power and both line and mic level inputs too. MIDI works quite well except that it does no MIDI SysEx.
  • @[Deleted User] said:

@audio_DT said:

@cyberheater said:

I was eyeing this one too since I needed a larger number of outputs and fxreturns. Is this muddy sound a big deal and do others feel the same way ? I did hear about the low volume issue which can be worked around.
    Any other recommendations in the @350$ price range that have more than 6 outputs ?

• @thepinkelefant said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@audio_DT said:

@cyberheater said:

I was eyeing this one too since I needed a larger number of outputs and fxreturns. Is this muddy sound a big deal and do others feel the same way ? I did hear about the low volume issue which can be worked around.
    Any other recommendations in the @350$ price range that have more than 6 outputs ?

The Expert Sleepers ES-8 is 8-in/out and DC-coupled allowing it to also be used for Eurorack CV. It is $475. It's big sister the es-9 as 16-in/out for about $100 more.

• edited November 2019

When I was in the same situation I chose the Zoom U-24 and haven’t been disappointed. It has MIDI too. You need the Apple USB to LIghtning adaptor as with most of them but for the price it’s been great. It has bus, battery and mains power options So you can use it on the go easily.

I got one for less than £70. Amazing value.

I’d not hesitate to buy a MOTU if I had the budget. I’ve owned MOTU in the past and they’ve always been totally reliable and great sounding.

Novation currently have a sale on some nice interfaces too:

https://store.focusrite.com/en-gb/categories/black-friday-2019?__hstc=185690934.16333c5fdea5506b8bbfe2bc4b27ca28.1574353824421.1574353824422.1574353824422.1&__hssc=185690934.1.1574353824422&__hsfp=2396251321