Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Current iPad (cheapest model) - any good for drawing?

I need to replace my four year old Air 2 with a newer iPad, so hoping for deals on Black Friday. The two models on my radar are the current 'iPad' (base, cheap model), and the latest iPad Air. The Pro is out of my budget.

When you take into account I'd have to buy the 128gb standard iPad as 32gb wouldn't be enough, the Air doesn't seem that much more expensive (I'd store the excess offline anyway), and probably overall a better deal. It also seems to have the headphone jack still as well, which is really handy.

So, how do the two compare when using audio apps - any issues with the Air (crackling, sample rates etc.) or base iPad?

And how usable is the screen of the base model iPad for use in drawing? I've seen it doesn't have the Fully laminated display - is that an issue when using the Apple Pencil? I want to use the iPad more for artwork, so this would be a consideration.

I think I've read on here that the new Air has 3gb of memory and the base model 2gb - is that the case?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• I'm in a similar situation, looking at the same two models. AFAIK both have 3GB of RAM.

Is the Air 3 delivered with iOS 13 or 12? That's important to me because of the Korg NanoKEY studio bluetooth issue with iOS 13. If the Air 3 comes with iOS 12 I could first pair my NanoKEY and then upgrade to iOS 13.

• @branis said:
    I'm in a similar situation, looking at the same two models. AFAIK both have 3GB of RAM.

Is the Air 3 delivered with iOS 13 or 12? That's important to me because of the Korg NanoKEY studio bluetooth issue with iOS 13. If the Air 3 comes with iOS 12 I could first pair my NanoKEY and then upgrade to iOS 13.

I'm guessing it'd come with the latest, which wouldn't be ideal for me either.

• I'm interested too!

I've got a base 2018 model with 128gb but it's struggling with clackles and weird timing issues on Cubasis once projects get a handful of AUs running... Ram issues?

Would the latest Air give me a useful performance boost over the standard iPad?
    Pro is too expensive.

• Bought an Air 3 for my daughter last month and it was on iOS 12.3.1. You should check directly in Apple Store. Last iPad 10.2 will be on iPadOS.

• @MonzoPro I know some people on this forum have been complaining about the 48khz sample rate issue of the iPad Air 3 when using/ not using headphones which is a bit off putting. It seems however all modern iPads are going this way so eventually we will all have the problems upgrading along with no headphones Jack.

My local CEX has a Air 3 (256GB) in A1 condition for £505 second hand been tempted by it but haven’t jumped yet !

• @FPC said:
    I'm interested too!

I've got a base 2018 model with 128gb but it's struggling with clackles and weird timing issues on Cubasis once projects get a handful of AUs running... Ram issues?

Would the latest Air give me a useful performance boost over the standard iPad?
    Pro is too expensive.

With a handful of AU synths --depending on which they are -- freezing tracks will likely solve your problems (adjusting buffers might help, too). While more recent iPads and Pros have more computing power and memory, they are not radically different. Whereas Pros and and iPad Gen 6 are all very different from any of the previous iPads.

If you give more specifics, we might be able to advise better. If you haven't tried freezing tracks, start there.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @MonzoPro I know some people on this forum have been complaining about the 48khz sample rate issue of the iPad Air 3 when using/ not using headphones which is a bit off putting. It seems however all modern iPads are going this way so eventually we will all have the problems upgrading along with no headphones Jack.

My local CEX has a Air 3 (256GB) in A1 condition for £505 second hand been tempted by it but haven’t jumped yet !

Thanks JC, wasn’t sure the new Air also had the sample rate issue. Bit worrying.

I’m hoping to do more graphic work on it, and so the better screen would probably be a good fit for that. Still need it for music making though.

Does the new base model iPad have the sample rate issue as well?

• @MonzoPro said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    @MonzoPro I know some people on this forum have been complaining about the 48khz sample rate issue of the iPad Air 3 when using/ not using headphones which is a bit off putting. It seems however all modern iPads are going this way so eventually we will all have the problems upgrading along with no headphones Jack.

Thanks JC, wasn’t sure the new Air also had the sample rate issue. Bit worrying.

I’m hoping to do more graphic work on it, and so the better screen would probably be a good fit for that. Still need it for music making though.

Does the new base model iPad have the sample rate issue as well?

What is the sample rate issue and how does it affect music making?

I have had a 2018 iPad for about a year and it copes with everything I use except the AudioKit stuff when I tried to load more than one. To be fair I am mostly doing quite stripped back things of late but I have had a few big multi-channel affairs going with few problems. The pen is excellent and follows really smoothly.

The only thing I might mention is that Apple tend to introduce new iPads before Christmas so it's probably better to wait a few months if you can?

• edited November 2019

@Jocphone said:

What is the sample rate issue and how does it affect music making?

I'm not 100% as it's not affecting my Air 2, but something about the sample rate changing to 48khz when earplugs are taken out. I'm not sure how that affects your actual work, but doesn't sound ideal.

@Jocphone said:

I have had a 2018 iPad for about a year and it copes with everything I use except the AudioKit stuff when I tried to load more than one. To be fair I am mostly doing quite stripped back things of late but I have had a few big multi-channel affairs going with few problems. The pen is excellent and follows really smoothly.

Ah ok that sounds promising - I'm guessing that uses the same screen as the current iPad.

@Jocphone said:

The only thing I might mention is that Apple tend to introduce new iPads before Christmas so it's probably better to wait a few months if you can?

I'm going to see what the deals are, Amazon might do a decent deal at the end of the month. I need a new desktop as well, so if the iMac's get discounted that might be an option too.

I realise they might get an update next year too, but bearing in mind we've got the Brexit thing coming that might affect prices, if there's a decent sale this month I might take the plunge. If the sales are rubbish I'll hang on.

• @MonzoPro said:
    When you take into account I'd have to buy the 128gb standard iPad as 32gb wouldn't be enough

I use iPads for drawing since years, and I always purchased the smallest version with 16, or 32 GB for the newer iPads. Content (drawings, Auria projects, etc.) can be offloaded to a NAS or computer where storage is not a problem. I also invested in a portable harddisk, some kind of portable NAS so to speak, which was around $200 for 2 TB, when I'm not in the studio. This method works well, and you have some money left for accessories and other stuff.

• @Phil999 said:

@MonzoPro said:
    When you take into account I'd have to buy the 128gb standard iPad as 32gb wouldn't be enough

I use iPads for drawing since years, and I always purchased the smallest version with 16, or 32 GB for the newer iPads. Content (drawings, Auria projects, etc.) can be offloaded to a NAS or computer where storage is not a problem. I also invested in a portable harddisk, some kind of portable NAS so to speak, which was around $200 for 2 TB, when I'm not in the studio. This method works well, and you have some money left for accessories and other stuff.

I’m on a 64gb at the moment which is full - my music stuff takes up a fair whack, but I’ll invest in an external drive when I get a new one. The new Air comes with 64gb, which would do the job.