Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Has anyone ever played guitar and keyboard at the same time? ;)

Comments

• Mike Keneally does it in all his solo gigs.

• Not a U2 fan at all any more but the Edge did it live for New Years Day on the War tour. Was awesome to see (back then, anyway).

• Taurus pedals?

• Oh wow. And he looks like he's doing it because he's bored with "normal playing" :D

• I saw him on his own in Riff’s Bar near Swindon. He can sing at the same time too.

• Tone clusters on an electric piano sitting on the floor

Sustained and delayed organ chords with phrases on a lap steel sitting on top of the organ

• Tony Macalpine is as much a virtuoso on guitar as on keyboards and plays both during his gigs, either when touring as a solo artist or as a member of Steve Vai's band.

Having said that I think the guy in OP video is doing a great job, very nicely played.

• Even though I should concentrate on one instrument at a time, the drive to have control of multiple instruments simultaneously is too great.
    Though having a heavy bass on my neck crashing into a keyboard or drum machine has always made me hold back. One day I’ll invest in one of these performance stands for my bass(link below) Until then it’s a Linnstrument with right hand and left hand on keys. Which is super fun.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WalkUpStand--k-and-m-performer-walk-up-guitar-stand-electric

• edited November 2019

Haha, good stuff here. But nobody actually watched the video from the OP? I think this thread was supposed to be about tapping guitar technique, not actual keyboards.

Anyway I liked the video @rs2000 . Impressive playing for sure.

• @Hmtx said:
    Haha, good stuff here. But nobody actually watched the video from the OP? I think this thread was supposed to be about tapping guitar technique, not actual keyboards.

Hehe, Ichika's right hand playing looked like playing on minikeys, that's why I found this one so fun. I didn't expect anything but any kinds of comments and talk about virtuoso playing.
    But I do appreciate the responses.
    Some great stuff I've never seen or heard before!

• edited November 2019

Right on rs2000. Finger tapping is a style I’ve never explored, but the complexity of melodies that you can get with this style of playing are really fascinating.

Check out this video: only a little bit of sublte finger tapping, but I love the filming and string movement. 😮

• Ooh another good example on acoustic :love:

• Wow @Hmtx, that Comfortably Numb piece has great sound, great playing and I guess a high speed cam ;) Very nice!

• Way ahead of you.

All joking aside, at one gig last year I managed to hit notes on Moog’s Model D app with the amp envelope decay raised so I could then fill in the rest of the few bars with bass guitar before quickly hitting the next note. I’ve been experimenting with trying to play different instruments after patching the TRIG IN of my MS-20 to one of the VCA ins or control inputs to essentially latch on the sustained note. I’m still learning but my short answer is I certainly can’t do it

• edited November 2019

Well, if we are in on the acoustic unconventional tapping videos I obviously have to share Jon Gomm - Passionflower. Give him the minute of intro he needs and be amazed at the control the guy has. :)

• edited November 2019

This guy is crazy!
    And that's the charm of real acoustic instruments.
    Wonderful.

• There we go! Great performance and sound design.

Off I go to find more Jon Gomm. I love the doubling on vocals (octaver down) and the double signal on his acoustic with a clean signal and a secondary distorted fx chain.

• @Hmtx said:

I was about to ask "where's the keyboard" myself, but that seems to be sorta cleared up now

• Sprung. Indeed I did not watch the video first. Lesson learnt!

So on tapping we should definitely have Kaki King mentioned. This is a slightly odd version of this song because it’s got other players. Normally it’s a solo guitar piece.

• I’m not sure anyone here is talking about playing guitar and keyboards at the same time, but yes I tried it at least more than a few times for short periods. It doesn’t work out very well unless you do something very custom tuning or can finger tap, and then the angles are probably not ideal.

I have however played drums and keyboards at the same time. I was doing it in a band for a very short while before abandoning the idea. Too much non-sense involving strapping drumsticks on with ropes trying to retrieve them when needed. In the end you end up lacking on both and you need a lot of practice.

• Nice thread!

• edited November 2019

@raindro Hey, I knew this Michael Hedges song but I've never seen him playing.
    A great composition. Fantastic o:)

There's something very positive & motivating in Yvette's playing. Love it.

• @rs2000 Awesome! I have one more gem to plug.

• A master in his genre...

• Thanks @crony, great one, a perfect complement to the Michael Hedges song 🤗

• There's some ridiculously talented people out there. I'm 50% inspired, 50% discouraged. The John Gomm (in particular) video and the OP video are amazing. But there's something so stunning about the technique that it kinda distracts from the music for me. I guess at this level it's about more than the music, it's an expression of amazing skill via the medium of music, as much as the other way around. There's almost something freakish about it.

• No but my dad could always rock a harmonica with the metal holder around his neck while playing a guitar and using foot on a bass pedal as he sang.

That was impressive once I was older and appreciated how talented the guy has been.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    No but my dad could always rock a harmonica with the metal holder around his neck while playing a guitar and using foot on a bass pedal as he sang.

That was impressive once I was older and appreciated how talented the guy has been.

Harmonica while singing sounds impressive...