Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Noise issue

What do you think of this noise issue. Its from the headphone out of a volca drum, so its there without any other connections and with battery power and ac power, whereas the volca modular which is the cleanest sound has no issue. Its like when you get a hearing test. It gets amplified in AUM because of gain, amp or cables in zoom u44 and then gets amplified again with tb enhancer obviously. It has a warranty but shop has stopped replying, like im supposed to accept the sound would be the same on any replacement volca drum without clarification. Maybe it is just the headphone out and because of the delay, amp or resonance which the modular dosent have. Cleanest is volca modular, then volca drum in AUM, then with tb enhancer.

Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/volca drum

Comments

• Volca delays are often noisy, definitely noticeable on the volca keys. Have heard that Zoom interface isn’t great regarding noise floor.

Have you tried turning the delay off completely?

• Hi. Might use Brusfi, when I need to record. Thanks.

The sound just transmits, when you power it up. Not sure if the effects are on or able to turn off at all. Basically need to use tb enhancer or bandit for a better sound but then you have to reduce some mids and lots of highs. Might see if I can check against another volca drum.

Cheers.

• Volca Modular is noise free, with all same cables, inputs in AUM and enhancers. You would think it would be worse with all its patch cables but I guess it dosent work that way, if volca drum isnt defective and is common because of headphone amp/effect module. Is just worse as it gets amp and enhanced though.

• TheOriginalPaulB. Is Brusfi something that can be used live or everytime you use volca drum and remember the sound once detected, so what about cpu. Is it best for recording or general listening.

Thanks.

• You mentioned AUM, so it’s simple to insert it there. Doug Woods uses it for his live voice feed in his videos. I’ve used it to clean up old cassette recordings. Works really well. Not tried presets, it takes two seconds to learn the noise footprint.

• Thanks. Messaged Korg anyway. See if its normal on some units. You hear the examples? Sounds like a hearing test.

• The sound example link above doesn’t work.

People have asked about the output on other forums and it shouldn’t be noisy. Your post is the only mention of this I’ve been able to find!

Am thinking about getting one of these things soon.

Are you using one of the noise types as your oscillator perhaps?

• Are you using one of the noise types as your oscillator perhaps? Not sure what you mean.

See if you can view folder now.

Thanks.

• edited November 2019

@sigma79 said:
    Are you using one of the noise types as your oscillator perhaps? Not sure what you mean.

See if you can view folder now.

Thanks.

If you have selected noise as your sound source it should probably be noisy on the output. Cuckoo has a complete tutorial on the volca drum , will be one of the first search results from YouTube. Might be worth watching that one and see if that explains things.

• Still dont know what you mean BlueGreenSpiral. Cuckoo video dosent have noise on output and mine gets amplified in software, whereas it dosent on volca modular. The noise is there when you turn on the drum. Think then all settings are standard ( unless theres something to switch off )

• if you like volca drum, then buy it. Sort of a drum machine with synthesis between drum. You wont hear noise. I cant tbh but can in AUM and enhancer.

• edited November 2019

"Rather than use PCM samples as many digital drum machines do, the Volca Drum’s sound engine uses a system of virtual analogue oscillators, modulators and resonators to create its percussive sounds. The sound engine has six parts, each of which is identical to the others, so you’re not restricted to, say, using a certain part just for kicks and another just for snares. Each part has two identical layers, which can either be edited individually or as one.

These layers are comprised of three elements: a source oscillator, a modulator and an envelope generator. On the source front there are five options, offering sine and saw waves along with three flavours of filtered noise. The pitch of this core sound is then altered via one of three modulator types, selectable between a rise-fall envelope, a sine wave LFO or a random signal generator. Finally, the sound’s amplitude is modulated by one of three envelope types: linear attack-release, exponential attack- release or multipeak attackrelease. Both the modulator and envelope have two controls on the front panel - Amount and Rate for the modulator, Attack and Release for the EG - allowing for control over the shape and length of each layer’s sound.

Each layer has its own pitch and level control too. There are also several ‘hidden’ shift functions available for each layer, which can be used to apply bitcrush, wavefolding or drive effects, as well as alter the pan and gain. All of these parameters can be edited for each layer individually, making it easy to design full, complex sounds. Combining individually tailored layers allows, for example, the creation of kicks with a long, full-bodied sub and punchy, abrupt top end, or snares which begin with a sharp, metallic attack and then morph into a long, noise-like release."

If the above text isn't confusing, disregard my comment and return the defective unit to the manufacturer for replacement.

I'm not finding anybody reporting noise issues, just confirmation that the output is quiet unlike the Volca keys and Volca sample. Noise is essential for percussion synthesis and the Volca drum offers several flavours.

• Just noticed. Each voice can be sent via send knob in varying degrees to the wave guide generator, which I think is global. So the wave guide although global is set different to each voice because of the send knob.

• I could destroy my house and probably next door too by powering on my monotron delay with the controls set to certain values. I haven't researched the Volca drum very much but wouldn't be surprised if something similar was possible to dial in on that unit.

• The waveguide on drum is good. Its a delay. Makes stuff sound like liquid. Will prob buy a Lyra now just because it would be mad.