Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sparkle from Apesoft gets the AU treatment.

Comments

• Sweet thx👍🏼

• Wow. So great.

• brilliant app, now even better, thanks Alessandro :)

• Ouuuuh I was really looking forward for such an improvement on this app. For those who don't know what it all about, Sparkle is an app that let you "mutate" a sample into something different based on a second sample's characteristics. I don't understand everything about this transformation process (I think it takes the frequency response from one sample and apply it to the other). All I can say is that it is a brilliant and unique concept in iOS and that it can really be a creative source of sound should you be into atmospheric production

• Alessandro is da man! Making one by one all of his apps future proof. Awesome!
    So, If I get you right its something similar like a FM synthesis with samples!? Sick! :)

@cuscolima said:
    Ouuuuh I was really looking forward for such an improvement on this app. For those who don't know what it all about, Sparkle is an app that let you "mutate" a sample into something different based on a second sample's characteristics. I don't understand everything about this transformation process (I think it takes the frequency response from one sample and apply it to the other). All I can say is that it is a brilliant and unique concept in iOS and that it can really be a creative source of sound should you be into atmospheric production

• As an example, I have integrated a loop from Scott Walker (Any day now) but processed with a drum loop. You can hear the result starting at 00:50

• @cuscolima oha.... sick stuff :) I feel that Stria and the Blackhole Verb plug will be good friends soon ;) thanks for the example

• endlessly impressed and inspired by Alessandro's work.

• edited November 2019

Long live the glorious ape! Huzzah!

• used it as a fake vocoder, after 2.20 there's a section with Holderness EchoPad
    The track is 2 phrases (guitar/vocals) repeated over and over processed with a lot of different samples, sorry for the panning... overlooked back then.

• I am very happy with this update, but - sorry to say - there's a serious bug when using midi-in for the Sparkle-(pitchshift-)keyboard. Tested in AUM and apeMatrix. Using Rozeta Particles as a midi-source for Sparkle (Instrument AU), after a short while (10 to 20 seconds), while playing and sounding as expected, the audio in the host is silenced and nothing helps to get the audio back (except restarting the host, etc.). Does anybody else have the same problem? (I'm on latest IOS and iPad Pro 10.5)....

• @Harro said:
    I am very happy with this update, but - sorry to say - there's a serious bug when using midi-in for the Sparkle-(pitchshift-)keyboard. Tested in AUM and apeMatrix. Using Rozeta Particles as a midi-source for Sparkle (Instrument AU), after a short while (10 to 20 seconds), while playing and sounding as expected, the audio in the host is silenced and nothing helps to get the audio back (except restarting the host, etc.). Does anybody else have the same problem? (I'm on latest IOS and iPad Pro 10.5)....

Yes, I had exactly the same problem !

• @cuscolima said:

@Harro said:
    I am very happy with this update, but - sorry to say - there's a serious bug when using midi-in for the Sparkle-(pitchshift-)keyboard. Tested in AUM and apeMatrix. Using Rozeta Particles as a midi-source for Sparkle (Instrument AU), after a short while (10 to 20 seconds), while playing and sounding as expected, the audio in the host is silenced and nothing helps to get the audio back (except restarting the host, etc.). Does anybody else have the same problem? (I'm on latest IOS and iPad Pro 10.5)....

Please report it to the developer if you haven't already.

• @espiegel123 said:

@cuscolima said:

@Harro said:

Please report it to the developer if you haven't already.

Done. Hope they will soon solve this problem. The app can be however used even with this problem

• Problem identified (when you play C3, the pitch value is not correctly handled). Alessandro will provide a fix for this. Great dev!

• Hello everybody,
    I'll solve the problem as soon possible.
    Meanwhile be sure to not send MIDI notes lower or higher than the internal keyboard range, so you have C3 (C4)
    for unchanged pitch and +- 1 octave.
    Sorry, thanks, ciao :)

• Not to sound right ungrateful, i mean, i love Apesoft and iPulsaret is one of favourite synths (period) and I was over the moon when it went AU.
    As quirky as Sparkle is and I will revisit it as an AU, id have so much more preferred an AU Stria.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sparkle is a gem. The AU mode should spark new interest in this unique effect.

Perhaps the user guide will be updated next :smile:

• Nice to see. I imagine Stria is next.

• Thank you for the AU @scarbo and thank you for making it an update rather than a new app. Such a great sound design app from one of iOS' most innovative developers!

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

• @Calverhall said:
    As quirky as Sparkle is and I will revisit it as an AU, id have so much more preferred an AU Stria.

Sparkle is indeed a demanding app - you have to consider carefully what you place in source and what in target, how much 'processing' you apply and the deepth of the envelope is crucial.
    It's most easy to try&error with 2 very different waveforms (like a drumloop and a voice) and exchange their location. The keyboard range works similiar to a ring modulator, it doesn't scale 'musically'.

The interface is great for experimentation and (imho) it's one of the most outstanding and rewarding apps in this domain - well worth the learning curve B)

• Update just through here - great app I was unaware of.

• @cuscolima said:

@Harro said:

Problem solved with latest update! Super fast. Thank you apeSoft.

• Can the Sparkle AU be used with two separate input streams in AUM?

I can figure out how to use a single live input cross modulating a sample but I can't figure out how to cross modulate two live inputs.

Is this possible?

• @thedragonegg said:
    Can the Sparkle AU be used with two separate input streams in AUM?

I can figure out how to use a single live input cross modulating a sample but I can't figure out how to cross modulate two live inputs.

Is this possible?

Two track into a bus, bus into Sparkle?

• edited November 2020

I tried this. On the bus channel I place the Sparkle AU FX or the Sparkle AU MFx.

In the bottom center of the Sparkle AU there's the "Sampler - Source - Target" section. I'm trying to figure out how to have instrument one playing in the left section of the Sparkle AU and instrument two playing in the right section of the AU.

Routing two instruments into a bus and then the bus into Sparkle doesn't seem to achieve this.

Am I missing something?

• @thedragonegg said:
    I tried this. On the bus channel I place the Sparkle AU FX or the Sparkle AU MFx.

In the bottom center of the Sparkle AU there's the "Sampler - Source - Target" section. I'm trying to figure out how to have instrument one playing in the left section of the Sparkle AU and instrument two playing in the right section of the AU.

Routing two instruments into a bus and then the bus into Sparkle doesn't seem to achieve this.

Am I missing something?

No, I misunderstood.
    This will allow you to live-mix multiple signals feeding into Sparkle.
    To do what you are describing, you need a multi-input AU, which Sparkle is not.
    I do not think you can use live input for both Source and Target at the same time.
    One or the other needs to be an audio clip in the Sparkle sampler, I think.

I may be mistaken (it’s been a while since I Sparkled), but I never found a way to use live input for both Source and Target simultaneously.

• This confirms my findings. Thank you @CracklePot.

• @thedragonegg said:
    This confirms my findings. Thank you @CracklePot.

Your welcome.
    Sorry for the initial bum info.
    👍🏻