Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video editor for Linux that is usable and similar to Vegas

Something totally off-topic here...

I'm an accomplished Vegas user (when it was still Sony Vegas and at version 8, which I still have).

I've recently dabbled again in Desktop Linux and while it mostly works well, I'm still looking for a good video editor. It doesn't need a million features. What I mostly look for is a very quick, streamlined interface with the most basic stuff (transitions, fades, etc.) very quickly accessible and "just working".

I've just tried kdenlive, and to be honest, I've spent 2 hours trying to even add a basic transition, and the overwhelming interface with a kajillion options everywhere just isn't for me. I would have expected to just drag two clips on top of each other and then have a transition, period.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• edited November 2019

Update: I think I've tried them all by now. Shotcut decidedly takes the cake so far! (it's buggy and slow, but at least the interface is somehow usable, if not Vegas! ;))

• There really isn’t one. They’re all shit.

• @u0421793 said:
    There really isn’t one. They’re all shit.

At least Shotcut let me drag clips into each other with automatic crossfades... they're quite buggy and changing their boundaries will often result in corrupt caches etc., but hey, it's something! :) It also let me specify the odd video format I needed (1080 x 1920 x 30 fps) (yes, you heard that right. Portrait!). Neither LightWorks nor OpenShot could do that.

• DaVinci Resolve and Lightworks are the two serious ones. Kdenlive is not too bad. Blender3d has a video editor built in, although it's a bit quirky.

• @pauly said:
    DaVinci Resolve and Lightworks are the two serious ones. Kdenlive is not too bad. Blender3d has a video editor built in, although it's a bit quirky.

Ya I have DaVinci Resolve on the list as well, not tried that one yet. Lightworks also looked to be quite "serious" and streamlined, unfortunately it doesn't support custom frame sizes.

• DaVinci Resolve is actually excellent, you should try it.

• @branis said:
    DaVinci Resolve is actually excellent, you should try it.

Can I set a custom frame size like 886 x 1920 (seriously)?

• Yes, you can. This is a screenshot from the Windows version, but I suppose it's the same on Linux

• @branis, that looks great and also quite tidy. I've now almost finished this job with Shotcut, but for the next one, that's worth a try!

BTW for the others, if interested: I have a really odd set of source material and requirements here, so I totally understand if a free video editor shits her pants on it. I'm doing App Store preview videos for a game. Apple requires (for the big notch iPhones) a 886 x 1920 frame size, which is highly odd of course (but it is the notch phone aspect ratio of 19.5:9 (!)). The source videos are not much better: they're iOS screen recordings, which unfortunately have a variable framerate (!), which is another thing that pretty much every video editor choked on. Only Shotcut actually detected this and offered me an automatic conversion to a fixed framerate (which worked!).

So, it might not have the best UI / UX or be the fastest, but it can apparently deal with any kind of crap you throw at it or want it to throw at you on render!

• @branis: Just saw that it apparently needs OpenCL and a very good graphics card. I'm only on an Intel Core i7 with Intel HD Graphics 4600... I doubt it'll work on that, so I'm still reluctant to try the 1 GB download (I'm on a metered connection)... still thanks for the suggestion. If I were a serious video editor, that should be the ticket! :)

• edited November 2019

Yes it is definitely more power hungry than some other video editors that I tried, but feature-wise it's the best free editor I know of.

• My final findings before calling it a day:

• Kdenlive: Slow, convoluted workflow (YMMV). Deleted. (sorry KDE, I love all your other stuff!)
    • OpenShot: 80s interface, immediate turn-off (sorry!). Deleted.
    • Shotcut: Slightly buggy and slow, but extremely flexible support for video formats and rendering.
    • Lightworks: Amazing workflow and UI/UX, bug-free, fast, slick looks. Limited format support, so will end up cropping / converting the final result in Shotcut!

Thanks for your input, and if you some day are in the same situation, hopefully it helps :)