Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom responsiveness ??

Comments

• @Beathoven said:
    Oh, and try to aim your finger slightly above the natural place you would normally place it.

Just so everyone knows, I'm aware of this issue and it's resolved in the rewrite that's coming up soon. It started happening with the release of iOS 13, and I was hoping Apple would fix it on their end. Alas, they didn't.

Placing the finger slightly above the expected grabby area this seems to do the trick in most cases. Making sure the transport is playing (e.g. hitting the play button in AUM) also seems to make things work again.

@Pierre118 said:

That's correct. @blueveek what is the satus?

It's close. Not imminent, but given the significant efforts it required for the rewrite, I'd say I'm quite happy to see it closer the beta testing phase. Thanks for all the patience!

• @blueveek Thanks for the info. Just to know, will the new Atom be a separate app or an update of the existing one? I ask this because having bought Atom a few days ago, it would be annoying to have to buy it again at such a short distance.

• edited November 2019

@Faland said:
    @blueveek Thanks for the info. Just to know, will the new Atom be a separate app or an update of the existing one? I ask this because having bought Atom a few days ago, it would be annoying to have to buy it again at such a short distance.

Don't worry, I won't screw people over money-wise. If you've bought Atom already, the new version is going to be free (though completely new features, which I won't name yet ;) , might be IAPs).

I'm not sure whether or not the release should be in the form of a new "Atom 2" app, or just a v2 upgrade for the existing Atom app in the store. I'm still debating the technical/software side of things. At the very least, it's absolutely necessary for users to be able to upgrade their existing sequences to use the new version, and making a separate app can complicate things a bit that way.

• edited November 2019

@blueveek Thanks, I will gladly pay for the new functions, it seems a right thing to me, perhaps the IAP method is the best choice, so anyone can decide if buy the new features or not, but have a perfectly working app though.
    If you need a beta tester I am free... :smiley:

• @blueveek Thanks for the status update! Looking forward to beta test ;)

• @blueveek said:

@Faland said:
    @blueveek Thanks for the info. Just to know, will the new Atom be a separate app or an update of the existing one? I ask this because having bought Atom a few days ago, it would be annoying to have to buy it again at such a short distance.

Don't worry, I won't screw people over money-wise. If you've bought Atom already, the new version is going to be free (though completely new features, which I won't name yet ;) , might be IAPs).

I'm not sure whether or not the release should be in the form of a new "Atom 2" app, or just a v2 upgrade for the existing Atom app in the store. I'm still debating the technical/software side of things. At the very least, it's absolutely necessary for users to be able to upgrade their existing sequences to use the new version, and making a separate app can complicate things a bit that way.

I do have one question, it was intended that atom was to have midi cc aswell as notes, i assume this will not be IAP?

• @Pierre118 said:

That's correct. @blueveek what is the satus?

It's close. Not imminent, but given the significant efforts it required for the rewrite, I'd say I'm quite happy to see it closer the beta testing phase. Thanks for all the patience!

Wow. This is great news.. Thanks..

• Good news re Atom being updated! 😺

FTR, I’d prefer a version 2 upgrade if possible (as opposed to a new app), but do whatever is easiest 👍

• Is it possible now (or in next update) to set the loop point start as well as end?

• @iamspoon said:
    Is it possible now (or in next update) to set the loop point start as well as end?

It’s not possible to set the start point.

• Thanks, not a dealbreaker but maybe fingers crossed.
    Seems like it would be a logical enhancement or common FR :)

• @iamspoon said:
    Is it possible now (or in next update) to set the loop point start as well as end?

Yup in the update.

• @blueveek said:

@iamspoon said:

Yup in the update.

Tease...😎

• @hibjshop said:

Personally I’d like to see a free length recording mode.

+1

• 😩😪👶🏿😞

• Wasn’t this supposed to be on sale through Black Friday? I went to buy it this morning and the price had already gone up. Then read about some date snafu that was being sorted... whatever happened with that?

• @skiphunt said:
    Wasn’t this supposed to be on sale through Black Friday? I went to buy it this morning and the price had already gone up. Then read about some date snafu that was being sorted... whatever happened with that?

I don't know why Apple decided to cut this short, put I've put it back on sale for another week just now :)

• @blueveek said:

@skiphunt said:
    Wasn’t this supposed to be on sale through Black Friday? I went to buy it this morning and the price had already gone up. Then read about some date snafu that was being sorted... whatever happened with that?

I don't know why Apple decided to cut this short, put I've put it back on sale for another week just now :)

Cheers but it’s not showing in the UK AppStore.

• Thanks it’s on offer now, bought :)

• @blueveek said:

@skiphunt said:

Oh cool! Unfortunately, I'd kinda decided I didn't need it and was fine with Xequence 2 for the most part. I blew out the credits that were burning a hole in my pocket on iFontmaker, Aparillo IAP, Ruismaker Noir, and Ultimate Circle of Fifths.

Photon works fine for me as an AU midi recorder... but I've never really loved the interface. That's why I was going to give Atom a shot.

There are people in this thread as well as others... complaining about ATOM issues in it's current state. You say that those buying now will get ATOM 2 for free... but you also say that beta testing of ATOM 2 is still months away.

So, are some of the issues users are complaining about in the current version of ATOM going to be fixed before ATOM 2 comes out several months from now? Or, will there soon be updates to ATOM in the interim? How usable is ATOM as it is without any updates at all? I'd like to pick this up on-sale anyway... but I'm a little skittish about all the users here on the forum complaining about it? I also know some users tend to make mountains out of molehills too. ;)

• edited November 2019

@skiphunt said:
    How usable is ATOM as it is without any updates at all? I'd like to pick this up on-sale anyway... but I'm a little skittish about all the users here on the forum complaining about it? I also know some users tend to make mountains out of molehills too. ;)

Actually, you can use Atom, just as it is, without any drama. The main problem is, sometimes, the lack of responsiveness in setting the length of the loop, but in reality it works, just a bit annoying (but there is a workaround: simply saves some templates with a 4, 8, 16 bars loop etc. And you got it).
    Another reason to complain is the lack of recording without loop constraints. But it’s not a deal breaker and you can live with these without any doubt. Atom fills a gap in AUM and it is important to support the developer, IMHO.

• @blueveek - does/will Atom have swing control yet?

To everyone else - what does Atom provide that Xequence 2 does not? I’m a midiot, so what might be obvious might not be so for me.

• Atom is AUv3

• I can’t speak in terms of comparisons to Xequence 2 but...
    Atom has some really cool/unique(?) features some of which I’ve not seen in a piano roll before.

Things I especially like:

• independent rate/direction/time signature per clip relative to master tempo
    • advanced quantise tools
    • no arbitrary ‘whole bar’ limitations on loop length
    • (basic) clip triggering via MIDI/host.
    • MIDI sync (according to host)
    • AU v3
    • mostly smooth and intuitive tools/interface

Biggest downside personally at the moment is lack of MIDI CC recording so I’m looking forward to that being added. This would make some pretty esoteric and interesting things possible that I couldn’t really imagine doing in a linear sequencer.

Hope that helps YMMV IMO etc

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCSoO__TX4ZEkFBeHogXPnZw/videos

• edited December 2019

I'll likely nab it. The issues mentioned aren't really dealbreakers for me.
    And this Cult of Mac article makes Atom sound fun to play with the layering stuff.

https://www.cultofmac.com/618570/atom-piano-roll-is-an-ios-midi-lovers-dream/

• @mojozart said:
    Atom is AUv3

Wow, just now failing to see AUv3 in the Xequence 2 description. I incorrectly assumed Xequence was AUv3. That settles it right there. Thank you!

@iamspoon said:
    I can’t speak in terms of comparisons to Xequence 2 but...
    Atom has some really cool/unique(?) features some of which I’ve not seen in a piano roll before.

Things I especially like:

• independent rate/direction/time signature per clip relative to master tempo
    • advanced quantise tools
    • no arbitrary ‘whole bar’ limitations on loop length
    • (basic) clip triggering via MIDI/host.
    • MIDI sync (according to host)
    • AU v3
    • mostly smooth and intuitive tools/interface

Biggest downside personally at the moment is lack of MIDI CC recording so I’m looking forward to that being added. This would make some pretty esoteric and interesting things possible that I couldn’t really imagine doing in a linear sequencer.

Hope that helps YMMV IMO etc

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCSoO__TX4ZEkFBeHogXPnZw/videos

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=

Thank you for the overview and also for the video review. Very much appreciated. I used to wonder why Doug always used Atom instead of Xequence or X2. I think I can see why now.

I suppose at $5, you just can’t go wrong :smile:

• OMG! I’m loving this one a lot more than anticipated. Especially the layered part. It’s one of those apps that I didn’t know I needed until I had it. :)

• When I record midi into atom from photon AU, all the notes come out with very short length values in Atom. They lose all the sustain. Could anyone guess as to why this is happening and what I can do about it? Not very familiar with this app yet, thnx a lot