Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ios garageband export to files broken?

2»

Comments

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

I can tell you what Apple would probably eventually get to if you got tech support from them. “Back up iOS, Erase All Contents and Settings, Restore”. No way I’m going to advise doing that, but it may come to that.

[edit] intermediate step: Settings > Reset All Settings. You’ll have to re-establish wifi passwords, etc. Though. It’s a bit of a pain but better than wipe and reload.

(That said, I’ve done more than one Reset/Restore and haven’t lost anything I know of. But it was a last resort, and I half expected it to fail every time.)

• Well I did try. That didn’t help either. I guess I’m gonna have to either live with this for a while and wait to see maybe one of the updates might fix it or I would have to completely erase the iPad and reinstall everything. I can’t do that at the moment I’ll wait and see. Thanks everyone for trying to help.

• You beat me to it with your comment. I meant that I tried deleting the voice memo app. As you said only the restore option remains but I will wait to see if an update will fix it. Thanks again.

• Settings > Reset All Settings might be worth trying.

That just resets all options to their defaults - everywhere. Which can be very annoying to put things back, but might do the job.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @wim said:
    Settings > Reset All Settings might be worth trying.

That just resets all options to their defaults - everywhere. Which can be very annoying to put things back, but might do the job.

Did that already

• Very odd. Yep, I’m outta ideas.

I don’t expect that an update is going to fix this though. If it was a GarageBand or iOS issue then I’d expect others to see the same thing.

But, for you’re sake, I hope I’m wrong.

• I am inclined to restore my device. Can anyone do an experiment for me please? In split view have mail on one side and have Files app with a PDF document on the other side. Compose a new mail and try to drag a PDF into Mail on the other side. Is it possible for you? If yes then I will definitely erase my iPad and start from new. Hopefully that helps me.

• @StudioES said:
    Thanks. When exporting the audio file, what are your settings?
    btw, File Kind shouldn't be Document, but Waveform audio, Apple MPEG-4 audio, AIFF-C audio, etc.

Just scroll back in this thread and you will see my screenshots of my settings. Yes, I do not know what’s going on it is weird.

• @espiegel123 said:

@mistercharlie said:
    I’ve been having terrible problems with Files app in iOS 13.2. And it’s just as bad in the 13.3 beta.

What sort of problems?

The files app fails to sync, and when I export to it from other apps, those other apps hang.

Have you reported them to Apple?

Planning on writing a bug report in the morning. I have a couple of other beta issues to report too. I would have done it already, but I haven’t worked out how to describe it yet.

• @StudioES said:

@Jimmy said:
    I am inclined to restore my device. Can anyone do an experiment for me please? In split view have mail on one side and have Files app with a PDF document on the other side. Compose a new mail and try to drag a PDF into Mail on the other side. Is it possible for you? If yes then I will definitely erase my iPad and start from new. Hopefully that helps me.

It works for me.

Wow! Thank you! My iPad as totally screwed up now. Looks like I have to restore it for sure.

• Just letting you know that I backed up my iPad to my Mac and then erased my iPad and restored. Same problems! Either hardware problem or a software problem because worked a couple weeks ago before latest updates. Reporting to Apple.

• Sorry for dragging this on but someone else might have this problem and would help. Part solution: New info: when exporting from garageband if I don’t press on ‘save to files’ instead ‘open in’ then after it exports it I am able to save it to files and then It works! This must be a software glitch and hopefully will be addressed. Reported to Apple.

• I was just about to say use “Open in” for GarageBand as the first step. There isn’t even an option to save to files in the iPhone version on my phone.

• @Jimmy agreed with @klownshed , look:

I also don’t have Save to Files as a choice, iPad 2018.... sounds like some other app has added a destination. Maybe the same way you got visible file extensions? Cause I googled that and nothing is coming up (though admittedly, I didn’t spend any more than about 5 mins lol)

• @icsleepers said:
    @Jimmy agreed with @klownshed , look:

I also don’t have Save to Files as a choice, iPad 2018.... sounds like some other app has added a destination. Maybe the same way you got visible file extensions? Cause I googled that and nothing is coming up (though admittedly, I didn’t spend any more than about 5 mins lol)

I haven't been able to check my iPad but I'm sure that you have to use the "Open in.." on the iPad too. This is what actually exports the file; You are then able to save to files once the file is exported and converted to mp3/aac etc.

I think you're right that the save to files action may have been added by another app (maybe via the shortcuts app?) in any case, open in... is the correct method to export GarageBand files.

There's no mention of "Save to files" in the manual:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/garageband-ipad/chs39284d66/ipados

• edited November 2019

Good point the actual export doesn't happen until AFTER - I did notice that yesterday and thought huh that’s weird, doesn’t jive with what Jimmy was doing at all..

• edited November 2019

nm

• Pete posted a video on this issue...

• The funny thing is, it's the same exact file size as the original project.... I wonder if it's literally just making a copy of the project that has some malformed extension? Super weird. I definitely don't have this option though haha.. (the first Save to Files option)

• Thanks everyone for the input.