Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

One Finger Orchestra Mozaic Script

Comments

• I’m following this thread with amazement. Co-creation at its finest. You guys are awesome!

:)

• McDMcD
    edited November 2019

@brambos said:
    I’m following this thread with amazement. Co-creation at its finest. You guys are awesome!

Thanks. There are obviously many gifted programmer's here that can use Mozaic to create and maintain scripts.

When @lukesleepwalker asked:
    How can you insert rests in the arps?

I thought. You can't. I have to put them in the data tables. But it encouraged me to find a way. It's hard to describe the satisfaction of solving these challenges as you learn to make a computer to something new for your personal use.

I have always loved programmable hardware and Mozaic is very well designed for anyone to learn "music programming" with very high quality results. I hope we see more threads for "newbies" to ask for help and enjoy this creative outlet.

Eventually people will complain "there are too many Mozaic scripts". But 10,000 x 0 is still free. I'm sure most Forum members dropped following this thread a long way back. But @brambos is following it to see his effort validated and a community of users helping each other. Respect.

• McDMcD
    edited November 2019

When anyone asks for an AU that loads Apps tell them about Mozaic and the "Mozaic Store".
    Mozaic - "the MAW where every app is free". (Free as in air).

Only 13 days until Black Friday.

• McDMcD
    edited November 2019

A picture is worth a thousand words and 24 notes when in an infinite loop.
    Try this at home.

https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/br/kx2mpyniqjfd.jpeg

• A synth groove workout:

• At the moment I’m not feeling like wading through this whole thread but how do you get rid of stuck notes? This happens right away. Is there a consistent set of directions yet?

• @yowza said:
    At the moment I’m not feeling like wading through this whole thread but how do you get rid of stuck notes? This happens right away. Is there a consistent set of directions yet?

Sorry for this app behavior. I'll keep working on the corner cases that don't send Note Offs
    when the knobs are twiddled. If you just start the Transport and Notes hang then I'd love to know what the target app is.

@alfred wrote a Mozaic script you can add to the MIDI FX'es and send a MIDI Panic.

AUM also provides an ALL NOTES OFF button for every audio app. I might add a knob to send out a MIDI Panic pattern. I'm finding the current "MIDI Channel In" knobs to have little benefit so I could add this in a future update using that button "real estate". I found Arp Delay to be annoying and changed it to a Offset Knob for the starting point in the arp table.
    Changing it in realtime gives subtle changes in the sequences which is useful.

I played with some other apps and discovered the "SHIFT" button to display Usage Instructions and I'll add instruction there in the Descriptions section of the app.

I'm changing the app as I fix bugs and re-consider the features so Documentation will
    come last. It's still fun to hit Play and start turn the knobs on the upper row to change the
    Arp's. I also think I'll change the text from "Arp" to "Sequence" and use more repeated notes in patterns to generate more Kraftwerk like patterns. Then the chord functionality could have "realtime" playing and optional BPM based Arpeggiations of the chord.

• I would love to just hit play and twiddle knobs but it’s not turning out to be that easy. BS-16 was hanging notes so I stopped using it for now. The latest frustration is I’m not getting any apps to trigger from the chord channel, I’ve tried iSEM, Quanta, KQ dixie. I have no doubt it’s user error but I just don’t have the time to fiddle with it right now. I’ll try again later or wait until it’s refined a bit more.

• @yowza said:
    At the moment I’m not feeling like wading through this whole thread but how do you get rid of stuck notes? This happens right away. Is there a consistent set of directions yet?

The right way to program midi NoteOff messages for earlier generated midi Note On's happens/seems to be rather complicated. Especcialy when there are knobs in the UI that can change the midi channel while Note On's and Note Off's (for a previous channel) are being generated. I find this myself very complicated too, as does obviously @McD. His code in his (Mozaic) OnMidiInput procedure doesn't handle/solve potentionally hanging notes what so ever. (NB. He also doesn't filter out incoming midi messages like CC's, that could disturb the script...).
    The only thing I know is, that he should use the Mozaic eventprocedures OnMidiNoteOn and OnMidiNoteOff instead of (or within) OnMidiInput.
    Again, I find this part of programming difficult too, so can't give no further advice. There are some examples in the Mozaic manual (a.o. about note state saving) and on patchstorage.com, but I find them realy 'abstract' (still studying them...).

• McDMcD
    edited November 2019

@yowza said:
    I would love to just hit play and twiddle knobs but it’s not turning out to be that easy. BS-16 was hanging notes so I stopped using it for now.

BS-16 probably get swamped with the MIDI traffic but it could be flaws in my MIDI event stream. I will do some BS-16i testing as I implement more safe guards for insuring NOTES are turned off. @_Ki made a recommendation for creating a outstanding NOTES list that would insure notes are always silenced.

The latest frustration is I’m not getting any apps to trigger from the chord channel

Have you configured an App on Channel 2? I added a knob to change this channel number too so steeping from 1-16 might help. Chords will only be sent out when there are MIDI Notes coming into the script. They don't latch and hold for example. I'm considering adding an option to trigger chords from the Metronome too. Then the Arp could play baselines and the Chords cover the middle note range with rhythmic patterns. Both baselines and chords would follow the "One Finger" MIDI Notes In to generate progressions.

I’ve tried iSEM, Quanta, KQ dixie. I have no doubt it’s user error but I just don’t have the time to fiddle with it right now. I’ll try again later or wait until it’s refined a bit more.

Chords work if they are routed to something on Channel 2. "MIDI Spy" are "mfxMonitor" and great tools to insert in a MIDI stream and figure out if Notes and being sent and what's the problem with the sender of the receiver.

• I did try one time before life pulled me away and even though I think I have all channels set up correctly in Mozaic and AUM, I’m getting arpeggios on channel 2 notes and still no chords so I guess I’m an ID10t. I’ll try again later

• @yowza said:
    I did try one time before life pulled me away and even though I think I have all channels set up correctly in Mozaic and AUM, I’m getting arpeggios on channel 2 notes and still no chords so I guess I’m an ID10t. I’ll try again later

Do you know the Version of the script you have active? 1, 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3? Could even be a 0.9x instance. I just did some testing with 1.3 and it's really broken. I added a "LastNote" effort to insure any note turned on get turned off but there are hanging notes again.

• @McD said:

Do you know the Version of the script you have active? 1, 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3? Could even be a 0.9x instance. I just did some testing with 1.3 and it's really broken. I added a "LastNote" effort to insure any note turned on get turned off but there are hanging notes again.

The latest one in patchstorage but there is discrepancy there about the version number. 1.2 or 1.21? Mozaic code says 1.2

• @yowza said:

@McD said:

The latest one in patchstorage but there is discrepancy there about the version number. 1.2 or 1.21? Mozaic code says 1.2

Thanks.

• McDMcD
    edited November 2019

I uploaded a v1.6 into PatchStorage that is more robust.

I have decided to call the dual functionality:

1. Sequence
    2. Chordal

I'm going to implemented a larger variety of sequences in further updates.

The chords can be arpeggiated using the Delay Knob.

• 1.6 is much better! Now that I’ve had more time to dig in, this is a lot of fun! Using it with BS-16 I just did a modern classical jam with no hanging notes. I still have a question or two. There seems to be a disconnect between the notes I’m holding down for chords and the notes that are being played. When I’m holding down the notes for a C major 7 chord, I’m not hearing a C major 7 chord so is something being transposed? Maybe I don’t understand how chords are created. I still have not reread this thread, sorry if this info is already there.

Also are the sequence notes the same notes in the chords? There seems to be a connection between the two but I can’t quite figure out what’s going on, just happy accidents so far. If there is no connection between chords and sequences, maybe there could be?

Between this and ki’s new Arpeggiator, I got two new apps today! Didn’t miss Pure Acid at all!

Thanks again!

• @yowza said:
    1.6 is much better!

Thanks. I've was asked to stop adding features and fix the code. But I want to iterate towards
    something that makes great sounds and then make the code readable and robust.
    Just my approach since I'm a hacker doing this for an outlet,

Now that I’ve had more time to dig in, this is a lot of fun! Using it with BS-16 I just did a modern classical jam with no hanging notes.

Good. I've been waiting for someone to pop in a demo track.

I still have a question or two. There seems to be a disconnect between the notes I’m holding down for chords and the notes that are being played. When I’m holding down the notes for a C major 7 chord, I’m not hearing a C major 7 chord so is something being transposed?

The design is for "one finger" input. You give the app a root note and it gives you a full
    voiced chord for that root. There's are selectable maps for major, minor, jazz chords, quartile structures. Everything assumes that the tonal Root is C.

Making an app that acts like a real arranger keyboard would take a lot more effort and
    might be beyond Mozaic as the right tool and need to be coded in C. I have bought some apps that do this like "One Man Band" which can import Yamaha Styles. There are more.

Maybe I don’t understand how chords are created. I still have not reread this thread, sorry if this info is already there.

I haven't documented or even explained the app yet. Still iterating on a cool design and
    featureset.

Also are the sequence notes the same notes in the chords?

I intended to match Sequence Maps to Chord Maps but you can just mix and match to
    taste. I intended to get a stable design and then just start making new data maps for sequences and chords until I run out of data space. I might make instance of the script
    for various styles. Maybe someone will dig into the code and create they take on sequences and chord. I can explain how I approach the data structures if there's interest in hacking the app for fun and no profit.

There seems to be a connection between the two but I can’t quite figure out what’s going on, just happy accidents so far.

Bingo. I accept happy accidents. Turn knobs until something sounds interesting for the sequence and try different "One Finger" patterns as input. They can be very slow inputs and don't require anyone to be a gifted keyboardist. I have open the app for my wife and some friends and they get lost in the connection between touch keys and hearing something like real music. Like a poor man's Gestrument Pro.

If there is no connection between chords and sequences, maybe there could be?

Both sequence and chords follow the "root" note inputs so they are intended to be coordinated in the data structures. But I let you change one and not the other but 1 is intended to sound good with 1 and 2 with 2 and ya-da, ya-da.

Between this and ki’s new Arpeggiator, I got two new apps today! Didn’t miss Pure Acid at all!

Jim's apps are insanely great and he deserves our support for his efforts.

Thanks again!

Thank you. Questions make the world go round.

• @McD said:

Jim's apps are insanely great and he deserves our support for his efforts.

I totally agree I’m a big fan but I’m not the target user for Acid, maybe someone will create something that changes my mind so I’m open to the possibility.

Thanks for the tip on the one finger chords, I might have eventually figured that out!

• @yowza said:
    Thanks for the tip on the one finger chords, I might have eventually figured that out!

If the Voices knobs is set low (3 or less) you can make cool sounds with 2 or more input notes... a C (Major) Root and a E (minor) root will generate a C Major 9 result.

I like to practice a few input note patterns that sound good and then improvise a piece
    using those little motifs for input.

I ran some McO' sequences in Pure Acid and realized that TB-303's add a whole range of
    note bends that no other synth creates. So, Pure Acid can make some really different
    sounds from the usual synth targets.

• I have re-named this script the "One Finger Orchestra" so people get it.
    Someone was playing chords and couldn't understand why it sounded "off".
    A rose by any other name would cost less.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @McD

File removed ?

I have renamed it to "One Finger Orchestra" (McOrchestrator v.18).

• @McD said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    @McD

File removed ?

Try again. I might have been swapping out the file for one named properly when you hit the page. I'm probably too disorganized a person to be doing this type of activity. But I am having fun and spending very little money on new apps.

I did buy "Pure Acid" to show Jim some payback for his amazing app(s). I haven't pulled the
    trigger on GR-16 yet but it's on my Black Friday list.

• @McD said:

@McD said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    @McD

File removed ?

Try again. I might have been swapping out the file for one named properly when you hit the page. I'm probably too disorganized a person to be doing this type of activity. But I am having fun and spending very little money on new apps.

I did buy "Pure Acid" to show Jim some payback for his amazing app(s). I haven't pulled the
    trigger on GR-16 yet but it's on my Black Friday list.

Cheers Got it was just super quick bad timing !

• I wish there was an app for that... “super quick bad timing”.

I think I saw that on a Chinese knock off TB-E0E drum machine in 1980.

• @brambos said:
    I’m following this thread with amazement. Co-creation at its finest. You guys are awesome!

I'm sure people are really sick of me hawking my script. I get it.

But the process of using the Forum to learn programming Mozaic is a good use of the Forum. You see who knows and can offer useful advice.

And you can slip in comments for @brambos to read that are OT. Like asking him
    how his apps compare to Pure Acid. No one else is reading here.

UPDATE: I think of ripping my baby down the middle:

One Finger Sequences (like Rozeta Cells in a way).
    One Finger Chords (then I can also use the Metronome to play pulses or track the
    MIDI On/Offs of the input MIDI events.

Thoughts?

• Leave this version as is or keep updating it but split off into the two aspects separately.

• @yowza said:
    Leave this version as is or keep updating it but split off into the two aspects separately.

OK. I will carry on. I have a lot of work to do just to fix labeling and add better seq/chord tables for more variety and more "Yowza! Did I make that happen?"

• @McD Sometimes its better to split the script into two parts - i would suggest to do so if this does not limit the use cases (the two script can achieve the same result as the combined one).

• Based on my workflow I use the chord "side" of the app separately from the sequences. Separating would simply be an efficiency.