Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auditor - Audio Editor by Living Memory Software

Comments

• @rs2000 said:

Why Audacity?
    Let's talk to the Brazilian developers of Ocenaudio.

Been using Audacity for ages so I'm quite familiar with it ;)

Another new one just dropped (Audio Editor HD)
    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1484296373

Still the audio-editor I use most on the desktop is the one built-in into Renoise since that is where I do most of my sampling...

• I expect nothing less than Sound Forge. No pressure! ;)

• @Samu said:

@rs2000 said:

Why Audacity?
    Let's talk to the Brazilian developers of Ocenaudio.

Been using Audacity for ages so I'm quite familiar with it ;)

Another new one just dropped (Audio Editor HD)
    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1484296373

Still the audio-editor I use most on the desktop is the one built-in into Renoise since that is where I do most of my sampling...

Many people still swear by the old Adobe Audition version 1.5 and Ocenaudio is the free alternative that comes closest.
    To me it's the fastest editor I know, and AU and VST support works great.

• @rs2000 said:

Many people still swear by the old Adobe Audition version 1.5 and Ocenaudio is the free alternative that comes closest.
    To me it's the fastest editor I know, and AU and VST support works great.

Thanks for the top on Oceanaudio...
    It must have somehow slipped my attention span. Will give it a dig thru but initial impressions are very good!

And yes, it would be awesome to have it on iOS/iPadOS as well :)

• That's my opinion, too. Given the very limited number of things it can do, I can't> @dendy said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    I’m not sure what this gives me over say Auria Pro or Cubasis2. I like it has drag and drop though but not sure I would get much use out of it.

Asking myself same question, to me looks like NS2 build in audio editor is far away superior to this app - more features, better ux, especially for precise cuts or for setting loop.. I was expecting editor packed with tons of editing features but i'm disappointed.. Am i blind or this really doesn't allow much more than just basic copy/paste/fade ?

Same here. Given the tiny number of things it can do, I doubt I'll ever user it in its current state. I know 6.99 is not a great deal of money, but compared to other apps at a similar price, Auditor doesn't bring much to the party.

• @dendy said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    I’m not sure what this gives me over say Auria Pro or Cubasis2. I like it has drag and drop though but not sure I would get much use out of it.

Asking myself same question, to me looks like NS2 build in audio editor is far away superior to this app - more features, better ux, especially for precise cuts or for setting loop.. I was expecting editor packed with tons of editing features but i'm disappointed.. Am i blind or this really doesn't allow much more than just basic copy/paste/fade ?

Is it possible to somehow just drag / drop / import an audio file into NS2?
    I tried this, but could not find a way and then gave up.

BTW, i still dont like the automatic project title "Untitled".
    This helps nobody.

Better use the timestamp as default name, then at least you can directly see - in the list of projects - at what time they were created. Much better, IMHO.

My faceless list of "Untitled" titles is a mess :D

• @tja said:

You can drop the files & folders into the NS2's Library/Audio/ folder using Files.app and...
    ...go to Settings->Files->ManageAudioFiles and double-tap on a file to edit it.

Sure a bit quirky but it can be done.

• @Samu said:

@tja said:

You can drop the files & folders into the NS2's Library/Audio/ folder using Files.app and...
    ...go to Settings->Files->ManageAudioFiles and double-tap on a file to edit it.

Sure a bit quirky but it can be done.

Thanks, was only trying to drop on tracks somewhere :smile:

• @supadom said:
    I expect nothing less than Sound Forge. No pressure! ;)

The version I'm using is about ten years old, and came free with Vegas Studio - which itself only cost me £27. It's actually pretty basic, but it just does the job really nicely. I could picture an iOS version of this quite easily - the features of Twisted Wave with the UI of this new one and we might have a contender.

• I’m pretty sure sound forge has come and gone from iOS.

• edited November 2019

Read the manual on this one. There’s more than meets the eye. The app includes a file player as an AU. I dropped it on a track in NS2, loaded a sample which can be set to trigger by any note or cc. Create a clip with a single note to trigger the sample and place it anywhere on the timeline including multiple clips. This one feature alone is worth the cost of the app IMHO.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/as5jdzmcmus7nin/IMG_0237.TRIM.MOV?dl=0

I noticed the audio may be out of sync when playing the video in a browser. It is not in actual practice. It’s just a glitch in the video that I don’t have time to re-do now.

• @anickt said:
    Read the manual on this one. There’s more than meets the eye. The app includes a file player as an AU. I dropped it on a track in NS2, loaded a sample which can be set to trigger by any note or cc. Create a clip with a single note to trigger the sample and place it anywhere on the timeline including multiple clips. This one feature alone is worth the cost of the app IMHO.

What's the difference compared to using Slate or Obsidian except that these can load and trigger a lot of samples simultaneously?

• @rs2000 said:

@anickt said:

What's the difference compared to using Slate or Obsidian except that these can load and trigger a lot of samples simultaneously?

I like the immediacy of it and I’m sure there are plenty of applications outside of NS2.

• @rs2000 said:

@anickt said:

I was wondering about this, is it better than the Sampler AU included with Apematrix?

• @Carnbot said:

I was wondering about this, is it better than the Sampler AU included with Apematrix?

At least it can start the playback from the beginning of the file every time a note is triggered :)
    The Auditor file player doesn't have a any speed control so playing sounds at different pitches is not an option.

I wish the apeMatrix 'sampler' could do a 'return to zero' when releasing a note making it suitable for triggering sounds for now it's more like 'tape start & tape stop' thing. It also lacks a one-shot mode...
    (This is nothing new and has been mentioned from time to time ever since the AUv3 Sampler got baked into apeMatrix but so far no real reaction from the developers regarding added features).

Who knows, maybe we'll get a 'Simpler AUv3' thing from Auditor dev considering slicing and stretching is most likely coming to the app...

• Well I took the plunge based on the dev’s reputation.

• @Dendy; For quickly editing and trimming audio files that aren't going to be used in NS2, I find the workflow in Auditor much more streamlined than NS2. Also the batch processing.

For me, it will be very handy editing voiceover and snipping loops. It'll be handy for quick simple compositing,too.while I could do those in AP or Cubasis, this will be much quicker.

For some , the batch processing will be worthwhile on its own.

It sounds like it is a work-in-progress.

As for the File Player AU, I don't think that is the primary reason to purchase Auditor.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Dendy; For quickly editing and trimming audio files that aren't going to be used in NS2, I find the workflow in Auditor much more streamlined than NS2. Also the batch processing.

For me, it will be very handy editing voiceover and snipping loops. It'll be handy for quick simple compositing,too.while I could do those in AP or Cubasis, this will be much quicker.

For some , the batch processing will be worthwhile on its own.

It sounds like it is a work-in-progress.

As for the File Player AU, I don't think that is the primary reason to purchase Auditor.

Maybe not but I like the fact that I can drop it right into an NS2 timeline and immediately load a sample from Files. Very direct. 😉

However I did find that it does not re-trigger as expected. A note triggers it and the next note just kills the sample instead of re-starting it from the beginning as I would expect. I’ve contacted the dev about it.

I guess, to be honest, the batch processing is a good reason to purchase. I’ve come across a lot of sample sets that badly need normalization for example. That can be pretty tedious doing it one-by-one.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Dendy; For quickly editing and trimming audio files that aren't going to be used in NS2, I find the workflow in Auditor much more streamlined than NS2. Also the batch processing.

That’s true - the AU is really incomplete, it seems to me. If anyone is thinking of buying it, don’t do so - as I did - in the basis that you think it’ll be useful as AU. At the moment it just isn’t.

• Or just wait for Cubasis to catch up :smiley:

• @audio_DT said:

@espiegel123 said:

That’s true - the AU is really incomplete, it seems to me. If anyone is thinking of buying it, don’t do so - as I did - in the basis that you think it’ll be useful as AU. At the moment it just isn’t.

The AU is just a simple file player. If they add new features as they have indicated the app will just get better. Batch processing is a useful feature already. They seem to have the right idea. You can always get a refund if it doesn’t work for you now.

• edited November 2019

@MobileMusic said:
    Or just wait for Cubasis to catch up :smiley:

Or that...

• This is what I wish AudioShare would have grown into.

• edited November 2019

Why do all these apps have such terrible interfaces? They look like they come from 1990s shareware. I could (just about) force myself to live with that if they were slick, intuitive, and easy to use.

The best standalone audio editing app is still AudioShare, I reckon. And that seems like abandonware. :(

• @MobileMusic said:
    Or just wait for Cubasis to catch up :smiley:

Who knows what the next Cubasis update will bring...
    ...but sure all improvements to audio/sample editing and file management are most welcome :)

• @mistercharlie said:
    Why do all these apps have such terrible interfaces? They look like they come from 1990s shareware. I could (just about) force myself to live with that if they were slick, intuitive, and easy to use.

The best standalone audio editing app is still AudioShare, I reckon. And that seems like abandonware. :(

I love AudioShare as a file repository and for some minor edits. But I can't see how it could be considered a better audio editing app than Twisted Wave, Hokusai or Auditor unless one is only doing simple trims or the occasional normalization or format conversion.

Not sure why you would say Audioshare is abandonware -- it does what it was intended to do and does it well. Once an app does what the creator intended to, there is no reason for them to keep re-visiting it to add new features -- particularly given that they don't earn new revenue.

It doesn't seem realistic (or reasonable) to expect developers to add features year-after-year.

• @espiegel123 You make good points. I mean in terms of interface, and ease-of-use. Twisted Wave is certainly more powerful, but I find it to be pretty annoying to use. That’s obviously a subjective opinion though.

As to AudioShare doing what’s intended, sure. But it doesn’t integrate iCloud, it doesn’t remember sort order, and doesn’t support drag and drop. These are all basic, pretty standard features since iOS 11.

• My main gripe with AudioShare is that it always duplicates and renames the file after an edit, which means you have to faff around deleting the original and then removing the “trimmed” suffix from the new version. I really wish there was an option to disable this behaviour and just save the damn file.

• @espiegel123 said:

@mistercharlie said:

I love AudioShare as a file repository and for some minor edits. But I can't see how it could be considered a better audio editing app than Twisted Wave, Hokusai or Auditor unless one is only doing simple trims or the occasional normalization or format conversion.

Not sure why you would say Audioshare is abandonware -- it does what it was intended to do and does it well. Once an app does what the creator intended to, there is no reason for them to keep re-visiting it to add new features -- particularly given that they don't earn new revenue.

It doesn't seem realistic (or reasonable) to expect developers to add features year-after-year.

I agree, definitely. I would add, though, that if audioshare got more features I’d very happily pay for the,, without question. I’m just thinking that maybe if the sample was more full-featured, that would be a great IAP, and one which I’d purchase instantly. It’s already a top notch piece of software, though. Indispensable, really.

• tjatja
    edited November 2019

@mistercharlie said:
    @espiegel123 You make good points. I mean in terms of interface, and ease-of-use. Twisted Wave is certainly more powerful, but I find it to be pretty annoying to use. That’s obviously a subjective opinion though.

As to AudioShare doing what’s intended, sure. But it doesn’t integrate iCloud, it doesn’t remember sort order, and doesn’t support drag and drop. These are all basic, pretty standard features since iOS 11.

That's true.
    Some additional work would be appreciated, @j_liljedahl

You can also sell this, for example as AudioShare 2