Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Does anyone mix their tracks in BM3?

Curious how many here are using BM3 to mix and finish tracks or are most BM3 users going to another DAW to do final mixes?

I've seen a lot of people saying they make tracks in BM3, Gadget etc and then use Auria Pro to mix or going to a desktop DAW to mix. Right now I have my iPad mini and a very underpowered Linux desktop as my only options for music production.

Comments

• edited November 2019

All BM3 now but if i had commercial ambitions would definitely be exporting to desktop. Even for hobby stuff before with Gadget and Cubasis etc I would finish off on desktop but nowadays with BM3 I just use desktop for vst synth sampling and creative mangler fx. Ultimately every session ends up on BM3 by the end so I can work on it anytime anywhere. I totally miss visual multitrack waveform editing on desktop but it will probably be on iOS eventually. I just got tired of the back and forth. I am not good enough at mixing to go beyond what BM3 can do with Fab filters. Sure more robust side-chaining would be nice... one day.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

All ya’ need to know about whether it can be used right here ...
    (The video producer stops yakking about himself around 2:00)

• Sigh... just wish those audio clips had volume faders, summed/halved stereo view, the same parameters as a sample on a pad and didnt make all those destructive copies of wav files etc etc etc

• @wim said:
    All ya’ need to know about whether it can be used right here ...
    (The video producer stops yakking about himself around 2:00)

That's a good video for folks to watch to see a pro mixing -- even if they don't use Beatmaker.

• @echoopera said:

No way. I thought you did stuff on Novation apps?
    Actually, I just remembered I watched a video on a tutorial you did on YouTube. Great stuff.

• The music was written and mixed entirely in BM3.
    It was Mastered in Auria Pro.

• @AudioGus said:
    All BM3 now but if i had commercial ambitions would definitely be exporting to desktop. Even for hobby stuff before with Gadget and Cubasis etc I would finish off on desktop but nowadays with BM3 I just use desktop for vst synth sampling and creative mangler fx. Ultimately every session ends up on BM3 by the end so I can work on it anytime anywhere. I totally miss visual multitrack waveform editing on desktop but it will probably be on iOS eventually. I just got tired of the back and forth. I am not good enough at mixing to go beyond what BM3 can do with Fab filters. Sure more robust side-chaining would be nice... one day.

May I ask, which iPad do you use?

• @DatGood said:

@AudioGus said:

I have a 10.5 pro from 2017 which I got around April. Before that I had a 2017 base iPad. The 10.5 was a huge improvement and felt like using BM3 for real.

• @AudioGus said:

@DatGood said:

@AudioGus said:

I have a 10.5 pro from 2017 which I got around April. Before that I had a 2017 base iPad. The 10.5 was a huge improvement and felt like using BM3 for real.

I have a 2018 iPad so I wonder if that's my issue, because most folks on YouTube with BM3 tutorials are on Pro's and they seem to run quite smooth.

• @DatGood said:

@AudioGus said:

@DatGood said:

@AudioGus said:

I have a 2018 iPad so I wonder if that's my issue, because most folks on YouTube with BM3 tutorials are on Pro's and they seem to run quite smooth.

It could be. I had to spend more mental bandwidth and a degree of frustration with the base 2017 budgeting and prioritizing things. I thought 'so be it' at the time but with the 10.5 pro I find I can stretch my legs a lot more and get to the point of deciding whether a track is genuinely a keeper or not and then worth the extra effort to mix better etc before having to think about budgeting.

• Thanks for the great discussion and links. Henny the Business convinced me to get BM3 in the first place even though I'm not into his music. I haven't watched any of his videos in a while but I know he was exporting back to Logic I think to mix and finish but that video with his mix engineer mixing on BM3 was great.

I don't have real commercial aspirations but I plan on releasing tracks on my own through a digital distributor so I do want acceptable quality mixes. But this discussion leads me to at least believe that I'm the only thing holding back my mixes not my software. Thanks!

• @DatGood said:

@AudioGus said:

@DatGood said:

@AudioGus said:

Fwiw, 2018 iPad (gen 6) is quite close to 2017 iPad Pro performance. MUCH more powerful than the previous generation.

• edited November 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@DatGood said:

@AudioGus said:

@DatGood said:

@AudioGus said:

Fwiw, 2018 iPad (gen 6) is quite close to 2017 iPad Pro performance. MUCH more powerful than the previous generation.

The single core score is close (830/758) but I think twice the ram (which I imagine is potentially also faster ram?) and the difference in storage access / bus (?) / better caching / voodoo etc is likely different... eh, or not

• @AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@DatGood said:

@AudioGus said:

@DatGood said:

@AudioGus said:

The single core score is close (830/758) but I think twice the ram (which I imagine is potentially also faster ram?) and the difference in storage access / bus (?) / better caching / voodoo etc is likely different... eh, or not

The real world performance is generally on a par with the specs. I don't think you'd find 6th gen iPad and 2017 Pro to have hugely different performance.There are certainly cases where the extra memory is nice (I.e with huge sampled instruments like Ravenscroft) but the performance is impressive. Radically better than its predecessors.

• edited November 2019

I mix all tracks done in BM3 ..in BM3. If it needs it I bring the bounced stereo mix into Final Touch to add some slight limiting maybe a bit of EQ and stereo spread and it really helps.

I'm sure i could bring the stereo mix back into BM3 and get the same results with some AUv3's but Final Touch is a nice environment to 'master' in.