Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Piezo/pick up trigger Effect Apps?

Using a clip on pick up mic (piezo) and experimenting with percussive sounds.
So far using apps Objeq, Discord, Quatromod.
Wondering what apps (aside from the obvious reverbs delays etc) others have used that work well to transform knocking on a piece of wood into something far beyond and musically pleasing.

-thx

Comments

• you could try Impactor

• Impaktor....and then put Drambo on your shopping list.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

Send it through FAC Envolver, then you have every option to send midi cc by envelope to any AU parameter, Gate On/Off, and Note > Midi. Point the Midi out to any synth or FX, or combination thereof.

• I went crazy using FAC Envolver to make a "MIDI Drum Trigger".

INGREDIENTS:
    AUM or a DAW with MIDI FX support
    FAC Envolver
    OPTIONAL: Atom to save MIDI patterns
    Target AUv3 Drum or interesting percussive target (Pianos and synths can be great).

RECIPE:

Load FAC Envolver in an AUM FX Slot and use the iPad Mic as input (or in your case use the piezo pickup).

It's helpful to route FAC Envolver's MIDI to "MIDI Spy" or Monitor when setting this up.

OPTIONAL: Also Send FAC Envolver MIDI out into Atom to record a MIDI Loop (or to any DAW with MIDI FX).

Send Atom MIDI out (or FAC Envolver MIDI) to a DrumSet App (pianos and synths are fun too of course).

Just tapping on the iPad Case will create transients you can see on the FAC Envolver screen so you can adjust the level of the Threshold.

FAC Envolver settings:

Env->MIDI = CC Off (on BOTH FAC Envolver's 1 and 2 circuits)
    Gate->MIDI = CC Off (on BOTH FAC Envolver's 1 and 2 circuits)
    Gate->Midi = (Transpose = -24) A# and OFF on #2 unless you want to trigger 2 Notes use the unlink to have 2 distinct thresholds.
    Tweak the Threshold Knob to capture only the taps as MIDI events.

Choosing other apps is fun because the MIDI Notes generated by FAC Envolver are short and percussive and sound like various wooden or metal surfaces. A traditional piano app sounds more like steel drums.

MY DRUM NOTES which I think follow standard General MIDI settings:
    -24 Transpose from C4 = Middle C
    A# = for my Drumkit's Ride Cymbal
    D or D# = Snare
    C = Bass drum
    F# Hi-hat Closed
    A# Hi-hat Open

Here's an example of using FAC Envolver for the input targeting a synth created by @ecamburn:

Nic of @Audeonic created a Streambyter script to take the Envelope Volume "Peak" and insert it onto the MIDI Note output so you can play drums with accents.

# StreamByter - Audeonic Apps
    IF LOAD
      ASS L0 = 0 # init array used to store the NOTE ON values
    END

9X XX 00 = 8X

# look for NOTE ON events
    IF MT == 90 
      # note on - remember and block it
      ASS L0 = M0 M1 0
      XX = XX +B
    END

IF M0 == B0 07
      # got a cc7 - change the '7' above to use any CC from FAC Envolver
      # After the peak the CC value will be lower than the previous value saved in L2
      IF M2 < L2
        IF L0 != 0
          # we have a saved NOTE ON in L0 , send NOTE ON with note and the peak value as velocity (L2)
          # with CC's value as velocity
          SND L0 L1 L2
          ASS L0 = 0
          ASS I0 = 0
        END
      END
      IF M2 > L2
        ASS L2 = M2
      END
      # Uncomment this line to all Block CC traffic
      # XX = XX +B
    END

I was hoping @FredAntonCorvest would take the concept and make an app targeting this use case of his code but not yet.

• Thank you much for all the info and taking the time to write up the setting. I have dabbled with fac evolver before but will definitely explore it again.

If impaktor became au, I would wet my pants.

@wim said:
    Send it through FAC Envolver, then you have every option to send midi cc by envelope to any AU parameter, Gate On/Off, and Note > Midi. Point the Midi out to any synth or FX, or combination thereof.

@McD said:
    I went crazy using FAC Envolver to make a "MIDI Drum Trigger".

INGREDIENTS:
    AUM or a DAW with MIDI FX support
    FAC Envolver
    OPTIONAL: Atom to save MIDI patterns
    Target AUv3 Drum or interesting percussive target (Pianos and synths can be great).

RECIPE:

Load FAC Envolver in an AUM FX Slot and use the iPad Mic as input (or in your case use the piezo pickup).

It's helpful to route FAC Envolver's MIDI to "MIDI Spy" or Monitor when setting this up.

OPTIONAL: Also Send FAC Envolver MIDI out into Atom to record a MIDI Loop (or to any DAW with MIDI FX).

Send Atom MIDI out (or FAC Envolver MIDI) to a DrumSet App (pianos and synths are fun too of course).

Just tapping on the iPad Case will create transients you can see on the FAC Envolver screen so you can adjust the level of the Threshold.

FAC Envolver settings:

Env->MIDI = CC Off (on BOTH FAC Envolver's 1 and 2 circuits)
    Gate->MIDI = CC Off (on BOTH FAC Envolver's 1 and 2 circuits)
    Gate->Midi = (Transpose = -24) A# and OFF on #2 unless you want to trigger 2 Notes use the unlink to have 2 distinct thresholds.
    Tweak the Threshold Knob to capture only the taps as MIDI events.

Choosing other apps is fun because the MIDI Notes generated by FAC Envolver are short and percussive and sound like various wooden or metal surfaces. A traditional piano app sounds more like steel drums.

MY DRUM NOTES which I think follow standard General MIDI settings:
    -24 Transpose from C4 = Middle C
    A# = for my Drumkit's Ride Cymbal
    D or D# = Snare
    C = Bass drum
    F# Hi-hat Closed
    A# Hi-hat Open

Here's an example of using FAC Envolver for the input targeting a synth created by @ecamburn:

Nic of @Audeonic created a Streambyter script to take the Envelope Volume "Peak" and insert it onto the MIDI Note output so you can play drums with accents.

# StreamByter - Audeonic Apps
    IF LOAD
      ASS L0 = 0 # init array used to store the NOTE ON values
    END

9X XX 00 = 8X

# look for NOTE ON events
    IF MT == 90 
      # note on - remember and block it
      ASS L0 = M0 M1 0
      XX = XX +B
    END

IF M0 == B0 07
      # got a cc7 - change the '7' above to use any CC from FAC Envolver
      # After the peak the CC value will be lower than the previous value saved in L2
      IF M2 < L2
        IF L0 != 0
          # we have a saved NOTE ON in L0 , send NOTE ON with note and the peak value as velocity (L2)
          # with CC's value as velocity
          SND L0 L1 L2
          ASS L0 = 0
          ASS I0 = 0
        END
      END
      IF M2 > L2
        ASS L2 = M2
      END
      # Uncomment this line to all Block CC traffic
      # XX = XX +B
    END

I was hoping @FredAntonCorvest would take the concept and make an app targeting this use case of his code but not yet.

• I used a double set of ENSO, K7D, FAC Bandit and an Eventide plugin in my "War of the coffee beans"
    The used mic was from a H4Pro - no Piezo though. I sampled a lot in this session using the H4Pro including the live fed coffe beans falling and scratching... maybe you get some ideas...

• Thats quite creative, thx for sharing your ideas. That bean plate is nasty👍🏼
    Hey how to you attach a screen video to a post in this forum. I‘ve done pictures but cant seem to attach a video.

Thx

@MrBlaschke said:
    I used a double set of ENSO, K7D, FAC Bandit and an Eventide plugin in my "War of the coffee beans"
    The used mic was from a H4Pro - no Piezo though. I sampled a lot in this session using the H4Pro including the live fed coffe beans falling and scratching... maybe you get some ideas...

• edited November 2019

Deleted

• Just post the YouTube Link - in my case it is a YouTube source.

• For me FAC Envolver is currently the most fun for this type of stuff. Sure its just MIDI triggers, but with the envelope following (also output as MIDI) there is a lot of cool things to be done with piezo or mic input.

For the gold standard, Impaktor: I think we just have to wait till Drambo arrives. :-)

• @Hmtx said:
    For me FAC Envolver is currently the most fun for this type of stuff. Sure its just MIDI triggers, but with the envelope following (also output as MIDI) there is a lot of cool things to be done with piezo or mic input.

For the gold standard, Impaktor: I think we just have to wait till Drambo arrives. :-)

I suspect @FredAntonCorvest is up to something. He just doesn't pre-announce.

All he needs to do is hold the MIDI Note out a bit and map the transient peak to the Velocity byte for accents and send extra information per thump.

And the holy grail for me would add some frequency detection/mapping to the MIDI Note value to allow for 4 note drumsets using 4 surfaces as triggers. Easy/peasy. Still... Drambo
    from the minds of the Impaktor folks is probably going to have this as one detail in a massive app.

Using frequency mapping saves us from having to input extra trigger inputs. Go past 2 on the iPad and you start spending some bucks. Is there an easy way to get more that 2 input triggers cheaply? I did buy a KAT MultiPAD w the Bass drum pedal while I waited for the better iPad app.

• edited November 2019

@McD said:
    And the holy grail for me would add some frequency detection/mapping to the MIDI Note value to allow for 4 note drumsets using 4 surfaces as triggers. Easy/peasy.

i’ve managed to get 3 distinct triggers just using the iPad mic input sent to 3 separate signal chains/ instances of Envolver... also a whole lot of tweaking Pro-Q 2 instances to make it work. The triggers are:

• Bowl of coins
    • Pen on table
    • Thumb on table

Not perfect... but a good bit of fun 😁

• @Hmtx said:

@McD said:
    And the holy grail for me would add some frequency detection/mapping to the MIDI Note value to allow for 4 note drumsets using 4 surfaces as triggers. Easy/peasy.

i’ve managed to get 3 distinct triggers just using the iPad mic input sent to 3 separate signal chains/ instances of Envolver... also a whole lot of tweaking Pro-Q 2 instances to make it work 😁

Clever. We really do have some cool tools to build custom things. AUv3 makes a lot of tinkering possible assembling castles from smaller behaviors.