Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

CUBASIS OR AURIA PRO

Hey, so I'm usually a BM3 user and... well you know how that goes, it's great for what I usually do but now I'm in need of a change of workflow and recording.
I'd like to do multitrack recording of improv and jam sessions performed in AB3>AUM.
So the set up will be AB3 and/or AUM with 3-5 tracks sending audio separately into either Cubasis or Auria.
I'd like to know
- which uses less resources / runs smoother (regular iPad 2018)
- syncs with AB, MIDI, and/or LINK?
- better tools (Fabfilter might send me straight to Auria if it's baked in for free)
- learning curve

CUBASIS OR AURIA PRO
  1. Which to choose for my described needs16 votes
    1. Cubasis
      62.50%
    2. Auria Pro
      37.50%

Comments

• edited November 2019

Sounds like you should just record in AUM then use Files to export to... ?

As for editing/mixing... the mob can chime in but lately i have been enjoying BM3 for that now that ‘create pattern’ works with Slice to Pads. Of course editing in BM3 is a hack but not like AP or Cubasis life is without ts share of issues / hacks. Not being able to reorder AU fx is what ultimately puts them out of the running for me.

• Are they Link compatible yet?

• As for fabs they need to be purchased in AP so I would get the AU versions while you may be able to run a few more in AP than other hosts, I would put my money on the more universal option. And of course there is the crazy good Toneboosters undercut deals coming out. ;)

• @gusgranite said:
    Are they Link compatible yet?

Oh no, they are not.

• @AudioGus said:

As for editing/mixing... the mob can chime in but lately i have been enjoying BM3 for that now that ‘create pattern’ works with Slice to Pads. Of course editing in BM3 is a hack but not like AP or Cubasis life is without ts share of issues / hacks. Not being able to reorder AU fx is what ultimately puts them out of the running for me.

I hear you loud and clear with the MOB. Hahaaa.
    TBH BM3 has been my only DAW on iOS ever since. Love it to bits but was wondering if another DAW would be great for straight audio mixing.
    I would have definitely stuck to BM3 but I'm one of those that experience unexplained stutter and lag on my system even with 2 tracks and 5-6 FX combined, incl the output.

So even if I resort to "Export to..." I'm gonna have to go to Ableton in the end.

• @AudioGus said:

@gusgranite said:

Oh no, they are not.

OH REALLY?
    ..eww

• @DatGood said:

@AudioGus said:

@gusgranite said:

Oh no, they are not.

OH REALLY?
    ..eww

🙂

That’s why I’m trying to make BM3 work. Keeping a very close eye on the NS2 release schedule as well... 👀

• @DatGood : you mention sync. Worth knowing is that neither Cubasis nor AP can be a sync slave. They can be sync masters.

Search in the AB forum and you will find countless threads asking the same question.

If you need tempo changes or buses, only AP handles those. Cubasis doesn't. If you need high time resolution, know that AP has sample-accurate editing of MIDI and audio. Cubasis has an invisible grid that is fairly coarse compared to most sequencers.

Cubasis supports MPE recording. CPU efficiency of the two is similar.

Some people find Cubasis' MIDI editing easier to learn...but plenty of people don't mind AP's somewhat clunkier MIDI editing. And AP has realtime non-destructive quantize and humanization.

People that hear time very well, note (and have demonstrated graphically) that Cubasis' clock has some jitter in it...but most people don't notice it.

• edited November 2019

@DatGood said:

@AudioGus said:

I hear you loud and clear with the MOB. Hahaaa.
    TBH BM3 has been my only DAW on iOS ever since. Love it to bits but was wondering if another DAW would be great for straight audio mixing.
    I would have definitely stuck to BM3 but I'm one of those that experience unexplained stutter and lag on my system even with 2 tracks and 5-6 FX combined, incl the output.

Oh that stinks. I would be in real pain (again) on iOS without BM3. maybe post a session file on the intua forum with your specs and the beta team can try and repro it?

• @gusgranite said:

@DatGood said:

@AudioGus said:

@gusgranite said:

Oh no, they are not.

OH REALLY?
    ..eww

🙂

That’s why I’m trying to make BM3 work. Keeping a very close eye on the NS2 release schedule as well... 👀

Oh yah, those audio tracks may really shake things up in this department. i love the current track grouping/hierarchy. Fingers crossed AUfx automation happens too.

• If i had to pick between the two I would use Cubasis (and BM3 at the same time), which I have in the past. it may work even better now that BM3 has midi clock support and not just midi start/stop (which is what I was using before).

• edited November 2019

I didn’t get to read everything.
    But I’d sell bm3 , Cubasis, a pro if selling used lol apps was a thing. I never use them enough anymore.
    So my Opinion May not be helpful.
    But the best daws for iOS imo are Stagelight aka zen beats ... because it hosts auv3 and lets you Do clips like Ableton and that’s my preferred way to build a song to...
    second is ns2 ... very capable daw even tho I can’t really get into its workflow how I’d like mostly because of reasons like... the on screen keys are only accessible from the screen that hosts the instrument and sequencer time line, so if you are trying to play a synth From an auv3 effect screen or the mixer screen you’re out Of luck... something I need... other than that it’s wonderful..

Nether let you easily record midi from a midi app generator like Rozeta, spa, etc tho and that’s a huge bummer.

End of the day I use AUM and multi track recorder, bm3 and MTR or Stagelight the most for now

I’d pick Cubasis from your two choices up top

• For audio editing, I still believe Auria is unmatched with its features. A bit clunky but it gets the job done. It’s like the Pro Tools of iOS/iPadOS. The fab filter plugins are not built in and at this point I’d get the AUv3 versions so you can use them in any DAW, not just auria. I’ve never ran into CPU issues in Auria or had it crash. I’ve had some corrupted sessions but usually that comes from trying to import AAF and video files for some post editing. If you’re looking to do mixing, I’d say Auria over Cubasis any day. Cubasis feels more intuitive but the feature set isn’t quite there yet

• You can presently get Fabfilter into Cubasis, but you can’t get Waves into Auria Pro.

• BM3 and AUM work together really well with Link. It is really easy now to record AUM tracks directly into BM3...multiple tracks at once type of thing if desired...
    ...for pure mixing power if you like to mix on a mixing desk with groups and multiple busses then Auria Pro is the power horse, it’s MIDI editing is pretty decent, the built in channel strips by PSP are a bit of a bonus as well. You can go a fair way without even requiring external plug ins.
    If groups and busses aren’t an issue then Cubasis gets the job done.

• How about Cubasis and Auria not pro? I find Cubasis’ midi much easier but Auria has some audio advantages as listed above.

• @arktek said:
    BM3 and AUM work together really well with Link. It is really easy now to record AUM tracks directly into BM3...multiple tracks at once type of thing if desired...

I haven't explored this. Can you select individual AUM channels as a source when recording tracks in BM3? Can you adjust the transport bar in AUM to some song position and have the recording positioned correctly on the timeline in BM3? If so, then I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before!

• AB link has just been implemented in BM3. You can record multiple AUM racks into BM3. You can work on ideas in AUM and transport control BM3 from within AUM while experimenting ... all in sync... part of the new goodies implemented in the latest release. Currently it’s via IAA which currently works well. Record an AUM part directly to a pad or setup multiple audio channels to record multiple tracks simultaneously. You can adjust tempo in AUM and BM3 will adjust to suite and vice versa. Fun.

• The AB link thing might be a little overlooked sleeper in the added extras of BM3.

• Sounds promising! I think BM3 always had AB link tempo, but probably not AB link start/stop sync (and transport position, probably).

This integration of AUM and BM3 is hopefully making it into a video by @TheAudioDabbler or similar:)

• I got it working to some degree, but it was a little flaky for multitrack recording. The "R" button for arming channels in AUM disappears when adding BM3 in the output slots of AUM? Replaced by red dots which immediately start recording on tap (but then stopping BM3 recording if you try to tap this dot on the next channel). This was my first impressions, at least.

• I updated to 13.2, and multitrack recording seems to be more stable now.

That is pretty cool. Recording from within AUM directly to audio tracks in BM3. Hassle-free setup once you create a BM3 bank with AUM IAA channels on the pads and set up the audio track listening (a one-time operation). Then just pray that you don't lose connection to those pesky IAA nodes ...

• @DatGood said:
    Hey, so I'm usually a BM3 user and... well you know how that goes, it's great for what I usually do but now I'm in need of a change of workflow and recording.
    I'd like to do multitrack recording of improv and jam sessions performed in AB3>AUM.
    So the set up will be AB3 and/or AUM with 3-5 tracks sending audio separately into either Cubasis or Auria.
    I'd like to know
    - which uses less resources / runs smoother (regular iPad 2018)
    - syncs with AB, MIDI, and/or LINK?
    - better tools (Fabfilter might send me straight to Auria if it's baked in for free)
    - learning curve

iPad Pro 2018 here.
    If you want to do some serious work on audio editing, choose Auria.
    All though I love Cubasis for midi , on the Audio editing and mixing its waaaay behind Auria, but it’s the best on CPU.
    Oh yeah you can also try Multitrack recorder from 4pockets.
    It’s an auv3 multitrack recorder I’d highly recommend this with this setup, you wouldn’t need to leave Aum since it’s Auv3