Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Oscillating Echoes: 20 Ambient and Lo-Fi presets for Sugar Bytes Factory

Comments

• @craftycurate Thank you for sharing these and for the guide.

@craftycurate said:
    Quick note to say I've updated the download links, to separate the patches and PDF into two downloads, which means I can update them separately.

Patches: http://bit.ly/SBFactoryPatches01
    PDF: http://bit.ly/SBFactoryGuide01

• @Jumpercollins said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    These presets are showing up in my iCloud user folder, but they are not appearing in the app. Any idea?

@johnfromberkeley I had to take them out of the folder they came in and copy over outside of their containing folder for them to show.

This worked. Was anyone able to retain the Oscillating folder inside the user folder?

• I dont think Factory allows additional folders.

All i did was drop all e user presets in there in one shot with the files app by selecting all copy then saving to the factory user presets folder.

@johnfromberkeley said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    These presets are showing up in my iCloud user folder, but they are not appearing in the app. Any idea?

@johnfromberkeley I had to take them out of the folder they came in and copy over outside of their containing folder for them to show.

This worked. Was anyone able to retain the Oscillating folder inside the user folder?

• @craftycurate said:
    For @Halftone @RockBottom @Philandering_Bastard @hellquist @richardyot and anyone else who might be interested:

OK so here are a few patches of my own as promised. Mostly atmospheric and evolving pads, ideal for drone, ambient, soundtrack type projects. Feel free to remix them, use them etc. Usual thing - play nice, don't flog them, but apart from that do what you like. Here's an audio demo:

I've also created a Tips and Tricks guide with practical workflow ideas for anyone who wants to make useful patches out of some of the crazy factory sounds with a few other hot tips.

Download Patches
    Download PDF Guide

For instructions about installation, please refer to the first part of @richardyot 's video above.

My own approach is that I don't usually start from scratch. If I do, I often end up with samey results, but remixing something inspirational is a more natural route for me.

PS. The "1" prefix on patch names is so my own patches all appear first and together in the Browser. It's no so necessary in Factory which can sort by User etc but its an old habit from creating patches in other synths which don't have more advanced patch browsers.

Wow, these are great. Thank you very much, Richard, also for the thoughtful cheat sheet.

• edited November 2019

@craftycurate said:
    I've also created a Tips and Tricks guide with practical workflow ideas for anyone who wants to make useful patches out of some of the crazy factory sounds with a few other hot tips.

Now that's very useful: thank you for sharing your experience!

• Quick note to say I've updated the download links, to separate the patches and PDF into two downloads, which means I can update them separately.

@johnfromberkeley said:

Have you turned on iCloud Sync in Factory?

• I go to export in Dropbox but there is no Factory icon for me to press to open the presets. What do I do?

• edited November 2019

@Kruser said:
    I go to export in Dropbox but there is no Factory icon for me to press to open the presets. What do I do?

You need to use the Files app to copy them over. Have you watched the video in the first post on page 1 of the thread? It shows the steps you need to use to get the presets into Factory.

• @richardyot said:

@Kruser said:
    I go to export in Dropbox but there is no Factory icon for me to press to open the presets. What do I do?

You need to use the Files app to copy them over. Have you watched the video in the first post on page 1 of the thread? It shows the steps you need to use to get the presets into Factory.

He's firm but fair.

• @richardyot said:
    Factory is a great synth, but most of the included presets are too gritty and noisy for me, so I've made a set of presets that coax some more beautiful and ethereal sounds from the synth. The sounds have a Lo-Fi aesthetic and are suitable for ambient or experimental music, with lots of evolving textures and atmospheric sounds.

Download the presets here

And I've made a video showcasing the sounds as well as explaining how to install them:

Excellent patches! I felt the same way as you about the intital “gritty” impression I got from the included presets. It kind of put me off programming it really because I prefer more ambient ethereal sounds, and it didn’t seem like Factory was geared for softer sound design. I did get a few things done in it, but wasn’t really impressed to be honest. Too harsh for my liking. Your presets have inspired me to have another go with it. Great work and thanks for sharing! 🙏👍

• @craftycurate said:
    For @Halftone @RockBottom @Philandering_Bastard @hellquist @richardyot and anyone else who might be interested:

OK so here are a few patches of my own as promised. Mostly atmospheric and evolving pads, ideal for drone, ambient, soundtrack type projects. Feel free to remix them, use them etc. Usual thing - play nice, don't flog them, but apart from that do what you like. Here's an audio demo:

Download Patches
    Download PDF Guide

For instructions about installation, please refer to the first part of @richardyot 's video above.

My own approach is that I don't usually start from scratch. If I do, I often end up with samey results, but remixing something inspirational is a more natural route for me.

PS. The "1" prefix on patch names is so my own patches all appear first and together in the Browser. It's no so necessary in Factory which can sort by User etc but its an old habit from creating patches in other synths which don't have more advanced patch browsers.

Many thanks for sharing these! Just my type of sounds. I didn’t think Factory could sound like this. I found the included presets way too harsh and gritty for my liking, couldn’t get satisFACTORY results myself, so I gave up with it. I am now inspired to revisit! Really good sound designs here. Great job! 👊😎🙏

• @Spidericemidas said:

@richardyot said:
    Factory is a great synth, but most of the included presets are too gritty and noisy for me, so I've made a set of presets that coax some more beautiful and ethereal sounds from the synth. The sounds have a Lo-Fi aesthetic and are suitable for ambient or experimental music, with lots of evolving textures and atmospheric sounds.

And I've made a video showcasing the sounds as well as explaining how to install them:

Excellent patches! I felt the same way as you about the intital “gritty” impression I got from the included presets. It kind of put me off programming it really because I prefer more ambient ethereal sounds, and it didn’t seem like Factory was geared for softer sound design. I did get a few things done in it, but wasn’t really impressed to be honest. Too harsh for my liking. Your presets have inspired me to have another go with it. Great work and thanks for sharing! 🙏👍

I can't wait to hear what you do with it, it should be epic. If it's any interest to you, on page two I posted some thoughts on my process, this extract from that post explains how I went about taming the sounds:

In Factory most of the sounds want to be buzzy and edgy, so actually the first task was to find a way to tame them. For most of the oscillators this meant bringing the filter down in order to tame the buzzing (and then sometimes using an envelope to gradually raise it back over time to create an evolving texture). However the Wavetable Guide oscillators (the last ones in the list) actually make smooth and pretty sounds by default, so they are quite useful as a starting point for nicer tones. The sample-based oscillator can also make smooth sounds (as long as there is no modulation along the length of the sample).

I also posted my own init patch (again back on page 2), which makes for a more musical starting point than the default SB one.

• edited November 2019

@Spidericemidas
    „... couldn’t get satisFACTORY results myself, ...“

BOOOOOO!

• @Spidericemidas said:
    Many thanks for sharing these! Just my type of sounds. I didn’t think Factory could sound like this. I found the included presets way too harsh and gritty for my liking, couldn’t get satisFACTORY results myself, so I gave up with it. I am now inspired to revisit! Really good sound designs here. Great job! 👊😎🙏

Hi @Spidericemidas ... thanks for your kind words ... wondered how long it would take you to sniff out these ambient patches, provided your olFACTORY senses are working :D

Thanks in turn for your excellent presets for some of my other synths (Kaspar for one). In turn they have shown the more ethereal ambient side of those synths - exactly the kind of sounds I tend to gravitate towards, and I’m a sucker for patches where you hold one key down for drifty cosmic goodness.

@thesoundtestroom live streamed a demo of Factory patches by @richardyot and myself yesterday, and he said at one point that he wondered if you might have a go at similar Factory patches at some point. Hope you will!

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    @Spidericemidas
    „... couldn’t get satisFACTORY results myself, ...“

BOOOOOO!

Sorry! Couldn’t resist that one! 🤦‍♂️🤣😅

• @richardyot said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@richardyot said:

I can't wait to hear what you do with it, it should be epic. If it's any interest to you, on page two I posted some thoughts on my process, this extract from that post explains how I went about taming the sounds:

In Factory most of the sounds want to be buzzy and edgy, so actually the first task was to find a way to tame them. For most of the oscillators this meant bringing the filter down in order to tame the buzzing (and then sometimes using an envelope to gradually raise it back over time to create an evolving texture). However the Wavetable Guide oscillators (the last ones in the list) actually make smooth and pretty sounds by default, so they are quite useful as a starting point for nicer tones. The sample-based oscillator can also make smooth sounds (as long as there is no modulation along the length of the sample).

I also posted my own init patch (again back on page 2), which makes for a more musical starting point than the default SB one.

Yeah! That’s a great help, thanks for the advice. The Filter was my focus for trying to tame sounds, and I spent a while trying to find the softest waveforms. I will go back and study your guides. Nice one! 🙏

• @craftycurate said:

@Spidericemidas said:

Hi @Spidericemidas ... thanks for your kind words ... wondered how long it would take you to sniff out these ambient patches, provided your olFACTORY senses are working :D

Thanks in turn for your excellent presets for some of my other synths (Kaspar for one). In turn they have shown the more ethereal ambient side of those synths - exactly the kind of sounds I tend to gravitate towards, and I’m a sucker for patches where you hold one key down for drifty cosmic goodness.

@thesoundtestroom live streamed a demo of Factory patches by @richardyot and myself yesterday, and he said at one point that he wondered if you might have a go at similar Factory patches at some point. Hope you will!

“olFACTORY” 👏🤣👍

Yeah I found my way to these from Doug’s live stream. Really impressed and inspired!

“Hold one key down for drifty cosmic goodness”. Mmm, exactly! Yeah I did find that the mod matrix and the sequencer which can rhythmically automate parameters, have a lot of potential to shape the sound over time on a single held note. Good stuff!

I will have another go with Factory. At the moment I’m in love with LaGrange and exploring its potential. Hoping to get a huge bank of all sorts of sounds done for it. I really like the various routing options in it.

Keep up the awesome sound design! 😊🙏

• @Spidericemidas said:
    At the moment I’m in love with LaGrange and exploring its potential. Hoping to get a huge bank of all sorts of sounds done for it. I really like the various routing options in it.

Have you seen this:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35553/new-adventures-in-lo-fi-25-ambient-and-lo-fi-presets-for-icegear-lagrange-now-with-demo-video

• @Spidericemidas said:

@craftycurate said:

@Spidericemidas said:

“olFACTORY” 👏🤣👍

Yeah I found my way to these from Doug’s live stream. Really impressed and inspired!

“Hold one key down for drifty cosmic goodness”. Mmm, exactly! Yeah I did find that the mod matrix and the sequencer which can rhythmically automate parameters, have a lot of potential to shape the sound over time on a single held note. Good stuff!

I will have another go with Factory. At the moment I’m in love with LaGrange and exploring its potential. Hoping to get a huge bank of all sorts of sounds done for it. I really like the various routing options in it.

Awesome ... look forward to it. I didn’t pick up Lagrange in the introductory sale so hopefully pick it up at some point, but its unique feature set offers some interest sonic opportunities.

I’m working on a couple of new Factory patches ... one based on the theme from BladeRunner, and the other is a kind of glitchy rhythm Generator, which, thanks to the ease of creating wild randomness with the MAD-matrix (as it should be called as it creates a lot of MADulation). Lot more rhythmic goodness than I actually designed it to have, but that’s why you gotta #LoveFactory

• @richardyot you’re a true asset to the community. Thanks 🙏

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    @richardyot you’re a true asset to the community. Thanks 🙏

😊

• @richardyot said:

@Spidericemidas said:
    At the moment I’m in love with LaGrange and exploring its potential. Hoping to get a huge bank of all sorts of sounds done for it. I really like the various routing options in it.

Have you seen this:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35553/new-adventures-in-lo-fi-25-ambient-and-lo-fi-presets-for-icegear-lagrange-now-with-demo-video

Oh sweet! I didn’t see that thread! Thanks! I will grab them for sure! I will be really interested to see what you’ve gotten out of LaGrange.

Yeah I agree about the reverb thing. It’s a pity they didn’t stick a reverb in LaGrange, but there are plenty of amazing reverbs out there to use with it as you say, and much better than any built-in reverb could be anyway. I also miss the chorus that they put in some of their other synths, but again there are external fx for fattening things up a bit. Nice one! 👍👍

• @craftycurate said:

@Spidericemidas said:

@craftycurate said:

@Spidericemidas said:

“olFACTORY” 👏🤣👍

Awesome ... look forward to it. I didn’t pick up Lagrange in the introductory sale so hopefully pick it up at some point, but its unique feature set offers some interest sonic opportunities.

I’m working on a couple of new Factory patches ... one based on the theme from BladeRunner, and the other is a kind of glitchy rhythm Generator, which, thanks to the ease of creating wild randomness with the MAD-matrix (as it should be called as it creates a lot of MADulation). Lot more rhythmic goodness than I actually designed it to have, but that’s why you gotta #LoveFactory

Ah ha! I’m kind of exploring the same thing with some of my LaGrange patches: “glitchy rhythm generating” using the Arp with a single held key idea. Sort of tuned and snappy synth drum/bass sounds. You can also route the noise generator straight to the Amp separately and get some good hi hat sounds to accompany the bass/drum sounds, so you end up with something that sounds more like it came from a drum machine or something.

Ha yeah, Factory has a MAD Matrix for sure! Endless possibilities there! 👊😎

• @Spidericemidas said:
    Ah ha! I’m kind of exploring the same thing with some of my LaGrange patches: “glitchy rhythm generating” using the Arp with a single held key idea. Sort of tuned and snappy synth drum/bass sounds. You can also route the noise generator straight to the Amp separately and get some good hi hat sounds to accompany the bass/drum sounds, so you end up with something that sounds more like it came from a drum machine or something.

Nice! Maybe not too dissimilar to a Ruismaker Noir approach with the creative use of the ARP?

It’s getting to the point with Factory where I’m deliberately looking for unusual routings and modulation pairings to see what sonic territory I can wander into.

• @craftycurate said:

@Spidericemidas said:

Nice! Maybe not too dissimilar to a Ruismaker Noir approach with the creative use of the ARP?

It’s getting to the point with Factory where I’m deliberately looking for unusual routings and modulation pairings to see what sonic territory I can wander into.

Exactly. It was fiddling with Ruismaker Noir that gave me the idea of having a go at trying to make some synth patches that sound and behave in a similar way.

LaGrange seems to have just enough features for trying this experiment (pity it doesn’t have a Bit Crusher, though. That would be so useful for this type of thing). But I bet Factory could be made to take this idea to another level altogether! I think there must be a lot of sonic territory yet to be discovered inside Factory, with all those crazy mod routing possibilities.

• For love nor money I can’t get the presets to appear in Factory

• I unzip in Audioshare and the files just won’t copy.

• @Gazzle71 said:
    I unzip in Audioshare and the files just won’t copy.

You need to use the Files app after unzipping in AudioShare. Don’t copy the folder, select all the individual files and put them in the User folder in Factory iCloud.

It’s all in the video.

• @Gazzle71 Hi, here is my Live Stream from a couple of day ago, there’s no need to watch the whole thing but I show you exactly how to download and install these in detail in the five minutes or so, hope this helps you out 😎

• edited November 2019

if you want to install the presets

• open factory
    • go to the setting tab
    • tap on the preferences button
    • then tap on the icloud tab
    • make sure that the icloud sync is on

then you can quit out of factory

open the files app

• go to the icloud drive section
    • look in factory
    • look in presets
    • and look in user

any file that are in that folder will appear in your user presets folder in factory

so what you should do is

• download the zip file with the presets
    • unzip them in audioshare
    • then use files to open the folder inside the zip
    • select all the files inside it
    • and copy them into this presets/user folder in factory

and the way you access them [in factory] is, if you are on the cloud setting, and if you open the presets, what you should do is just tap on the folder and go to user, and that's where you'll find all the presets that you've just installed.