Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video: How to model a John Mayer amp tone using only Parametric EQ, Saturation, and Reverb in AUM

I am experimenting with modeling classic guitar amp tones using just three plugins in AUM. This video explains the settings I am using to imitate the sound of John Mayer's guitar in the song Slow Dancing in a Burning Room:

I used just four apps:

1. AUM
  2. Blue Mangoo Parametric EQ
  3. Audiodamage EOS reverb
  4. a pre-release test version of Blue Mangoo saturator plugin

Comments

• What a tease! Great video and discussion - looking forward to the release and more videos

• @mjcouche said:
    What a tease! Great video and discussion - looking forward to the release and more videos

We will need more time to finish the saturator. The amp settings I’m showing in the videos are going into the app as presets. I think we will do many more videos before we release the plugin. The videos are partly to generate interest before we release the plugin. But if it were only that, we would only need one or two videos like this. The other purpose is to built a YouTube following by providing information that will be useful to a wider audience, including non-iOS musicians.

• Great informative videos, thanks for sharing them. If you need a beta tester, as guitarist I’ll be glad to help you.

• edited November 2019

@Faland said:
    Great informative videos, thanks for sharing them. If you need a beta tester, as guitarist I’ll be glad to help you.

Thank you. I’m planning for the saturator to have only a very simple set of controls:
    1. Choice of amp type
    2. Bass, mid, treble
    3. Input and output gain

With that simple of an interface I don’t think we need to do much beta testing. But we would appreciate your input regarding which guitar tones we should put in the list of amp types. Specifically if there is a specific sound that you consider an absolute must-have in your guitar rig, please send us a link to YouTube, itunes, or soundcloud where we can hear an example of that tone.

Also, if you are interested in beta testing mainly because you are in a hurry to get your hands on the tone in the video, I encourage you to try copying the EQ settings from the video using a saturator plugin from another app developer. I’d be especially curious to hear if other saturators sound better or worse than ours does.

• edited November 2019

@Blue_Mangoo I'm not sure if this would be outside of the scope of your new app or not, but I'm a big fan of the "ProCo Rat + Marshall" tones. The Rat pedal has been recently discussed in the JimAudio Pure Acid thread, and apparently it's also popular for acid. The distortion is produced using a variable gain circuit with diodes shorting the output to ground at a certain voltage level to produce hard clipping of the input waveform.

...I got that line from the Wikipedia page, I don't actually know what it means yet. :smile:

The new MangledVerb is arguably the only app with a really natural sounding distortion algorithm. I thought that might be worth mentioning. Here's a minute-long demo, skip to :20 for the guitar distortion preset.

• edited November 2019

@Skyblazer said:
    @Blue_Mangoo I'm not sure if this would be outside of the scope of your new app or not, but I'm a big fan of the "ProCo Rat + Marshall" tones. The Rat pedal has been recently discussed in the JimAudio Pure Acid thread, and apparently it's also popular for acid. The distortion is produced using a variable gain circuit with diodes shorting the output to ground at a certain voltage level to produce hard clipping of the input waveform.

...I got that line from the Wikipedia page, I don't actually know what it means yet. :smile:

The new MangledVerb is arguably the only app with a really natural sounding distortion algorithm. I thought that might be worth mentioning. Here's a minute-long demo, skip to :20 for the guitar distortion preset.

That distortion sound at 0:20 in the video link above is the sound you recommend we should try to emulate?

I haven’t heard of the Rat pedal before. I looked it up and found Brian Wampler, who is awesome, explaining how it works:

This RAT sound is like a more piercing version of the pedal John Mayer uses when he plays crossroads:

• @Blue_Mangoo : maybe a new thread for people to share links with you?

Check out Derek Trucks for a player who uses fine adjustments of pickup volume plus variations in touch to make use of the responsive distortion characteristics of his amp.

In this video

Listen to the section starting at 5:55. It starts out sweet and pretty clean (briefly) and builds in intensity.

I think it is worth watching a number of his videos. He is a tonemaster (kind of like early/mid 70s) Jeff Beck. And managing to emulate his tones would be a software triumph.

• edited November 2019

@Blue_Mangoo Regarding Eventide MangledVerb, I don't think MangledVerb sounds anything like a Rat, nor do I think it sounds incredibly close to analog distortion in general. I only brought it up because it sounds closer to "real distortion" than the other iOS apps, and I mean specifically the ones for iOS. So I just thought it's worth knowing about. I don't know if it's special among distortion algorithms as a whole, but it's got something going on that the other iOS options lack.

And regarding the Rat, I assumed you would already be familiar with it, but I'll give you an example of a song. When I think of the Rat tone, the first song that comes to mind is "Cult of Personality" by Living Color, famously featured on the soundtrack to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I think the key characteristic is that dirty, resonant, metallic high end. At a low enough setting, maybe it could sound like the John Mayer jam. But the middle position of the distortion knob on a Rat, is like the highest position on another pedal. The Rat was often used in 80s metal with chorus and reverb, so this will be an example of the sound it has been used to achieve, rather than a pure demonstration of its tonal characteristics. Either way, if your exploration into electronics leads you to finding a good way to emulate it, that would be rad.

Side note: This video was posted in 2009. If you have access to a higher-quality streaming service, I would recommend listening there. Also, it has some guitar solos.

• @Skyblazer still got the 7” lol

• @Skyblazer said:

The new MangledVerb is arguably the only app with a really natural sounding distortion algorithm. I thought that might be worth mentioning. Here's a minute-long demo,

Personally, I don't find that distortion to be particularly natural sounding. It's a cool sound, but to me it doesn't sound "realisitic".

• @espiegel123 Compared to what though? I think the tone is far less "digital" than Shaper or Grind. Is it anything like a real amp? Not really. BIAS AMP 2 is probably closer, but that's attempting to model more than just the distortion component. If I were recommending it as something to emulate, then that would be different. It's not so much the app Blue Mangoo will be "competing with" so much as replacing in my setup for distortion.

• It's worth mentioning that AUM has a lot of useful built-in FX for this type of experimenting in tone creation:

1) Saturator while we wait for the Blue Mangoo to ship
    2) GAIN
    3) EQ's
    4) Limiter
    5) Stereo

So you really can follow the video with just AUM (with it's saturator/gain FX), 2 Parametric EQ's and a Reverb App.

For my tastes I love the AudioReverb Virsyn and ADverb2's "Guitar Plate" preset to wrap up the signal.

4Pockets Overdrive has a lot of simulated amp circuits to dial in something specific.

I find that inserting the AUM GAIN widget in in various places in a signal chain can help add/delete specific distortions.

I almost always get a tone improvement (for my tastes) with the insertion of the "Magic DeathEye Compressor" but it's demanding on the CPU can can break things too if you have a lot of other processing in the chain.

• @McD said:
    It's worth mentioning that AUM has a lot of useful built-in FX for this type of experimenting in tone creation:

1) Saturator while we wait for the Blue Mangoo to ship
    2) GAIN
    3) EQ's
    4) Limiter
    5) Stereo

So you really can follow the video with just AUM (with it's saturator/gain FX), 2 Parametric EQ's and a Reverb App.

For my tastes I love the AudioReverb Virsyn and ADverb2's "Guitar Plate" preset to wrap up the signal.

4Pockets Overdrive has a lot of simulated amp circuits to dial in something specific.

I find that inserting the AUM GAIN widget in in various places in a signal chain can help add/delete specific distortions.

I almost always get a tone improvement (for my tastes) with the insertion of the "Magic DeathEye Compressor" but it's demanding on the CPU can can break things too if you have a lot of other processing in the chain.

Alternatives are nice. :) thank you

• @Skyblazer said:
    @espiegel123 Compared to what though? I think the tone is far less "digital" than Shaper or Grind. Is it anything like a real amp? Not really. BIAS AMP 2 is probably closer, but that's attempting to model more than just the distortion component. If I were recommending it as something to emulate, then that would be different. It's not so much the app Blue Mangoo will be "competing with" so much as replacing in my setup for distortion.

It is my understanding that Blue Mangoo is trying to create a saturation plugin that (among other things) can achieve amp-like distortion not just distortion pedal distortion. He has mentioned that he is trying to come up with something that will be a more satisfactory amp substitute than the amp sims currently available.

I think Bias Amp, Tone Stack, Amp One , Amplitube and Vstomp while all flawed can achieve much more "natural" sounding distortion than heard in mangleverb demo. Not to say that the mangleverb distortion isn't a cool sound...I just don't hear it as particularly realistic where amp distortion is concerned based on that demo. In my opinion if someone were trying to get a nice amp tone I don't feel like that would be a satisfactory substitute. That's just my opinion though.

• Sure, that makes sense. I thought it was worth mentioning the Rat since it's an iconic pedal that I haven't seen accurately replicated by software, and for me personally, it's part of achieving my favorite guitar tone. I did also say "maybe it's beyond the scope of your app." Because I don't have the technical knowledge to know if "analog pedal-like distortion" is a component of "tube amp-like distortion". I just know he's been talking about modeling analog components, and we don't have analog pedal distortion either.

Some guitarists have the perspective of, "Why use a distortion pedal when you could get a higher-quality sound from a tube amp?" and the answer for me is, "To achieve the classic Rat sound." So if it would be hundreds of hours of extra work involving completely different concepts, I get it. But if the same concepts are involved, it would be wonderful to have a ProCo Rat preset.

• @Skyblazer said:
    Sure, that makes sense. I thought it was worth mentioning the Rat since it's an iconic pedal that I haven't seen accurately replicated by software, and for me personally, it's part of achieving my favorite guitar tone. I did also say "maybe it's beyond the scope of your app." Because I don't have the technical knowledge to know if "analog pedal-like distortion" is a component of "tube amp-like distortion". I just know he's been talking about modeling analog components, and we don't have analog pedal distortion either.

Some guitarists have the perspective of, "Why use a distortion pedal when you could get a higher-quality sound from a tube amp?" and the answer for me is, "To achieve the classic Rat sound." So if it would be hundreds of hours of extra work involving completely different concepts, I get it. But if the same concepts are involved, it would be wonderful to have a ProCo Rat preset.

I am confused. I wasn’t talking about the ProCo Rat. My comment was in response to the claim “The new MangledVerb is arguably the only app with a really natural sounding distortion algorithm”.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I am confused. “The new MangledVerb is arguably the only app with a really natural sounding distortion algorithm”.

"beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

@BlueMangoo has started a conversation around "tone" and everyone has their preferred
    version of distortion.

"distortion is in the ear of the (guitar) holder".

The real amp sound of a classic Fender is nothing like an EVH 5150III. Both are real.

Still, I hope the conversation and insights continue because it's fun to test drive difference solutions. I made an AUM track and started auditioning various Saturators, Distortions, Amp sims, Reverbs, etc. I was surprised how much I liked the simple:

Parametric EQ
    AUM Saturator+GAIN
    Parametric EQ
    Reverb (ADverb2 "Guitar Plate" and AudioReverb tie for 1st place)

with Magic DeathEye for extra harmonics as proven in the @BlueMangoo Compressor video
    which is a "must watch" if you want to know how math can model hardware. Watch all the @BlueMangoo videos and subscribe. They can monetize that effort and we'll get more instruction and insights.

SUBSCRIBE NOW.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBwUDAcjOScUNmZU6AZD9ww

• edited November 2019

@espiegel123 Ah, I see. My intent wasn't to compare it to the amp simulator apps. Just to apps like Grind and Shaper. I didn't mean to say that it sounds more like a guitar amp than any app built to simulate guitar amps. I meant that it has, in my opinion, a more organic timbre than apps such as Grind or Shaper. Good for 808s when you don't want the cab simulation of Bias. Since the distortion is the difficult part to achieve, I just wanted them to be aware of it, in case Eventide is doing something different under the hood that makes it sound "more analog" than Grind and Shaper.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Blue_Mangoo : maybe a new thread for people to share links with you?

Check out Derek Trucks for a player who uses fine adjustments of pickup volume plus variations in touch to make use of the responsive distortion characteristics of his amp.

In this video

Listen to the section starting at 5:55. It starts out sweet and pretty clean (briefly) and builds in intensity.

I think it is worth watching a number of his videos. He is a tonemaster (kind of like early/mid 70s) Jeff Beck. And managing to emulate his tones would be a software triumph.

Ooh... I forgot about Derek Trucks. I like his tone. I’ll add to my work list. Thanks. :)

• @Skyblazer said:
    Sure, that makes sense. I thought it was worth mentioning the Rat since it's an iconic pedal that I haven't seen accurately replicated by software, and for me personally, it's part of achieving my favorite guitar tone. I did also say "maybe it's beyond the scope of your app." Because I don't have the technical knowledge to know if "analog pedal-like distortion" is a component of "tube amp-like distortion". I just know he's been talking about modeling analog components, and we don't have analog pedal distortion either.

I was not familiar with the RAT until you mentioned it but I am very familiar with Living Colour and I know the song cult of personality. I’ll see what I can do to emulate it the guitar sound on that track.

• edited November 2019

@McD said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I am confused. “The new MangledVerb is arguably the only app with a really natural sounding distortion algorithm”.

@BlueMangoo has started a conversation around "tone" and everyone has their preferred
    version of distortion.

The real amp sound of a classic Fender is nothing like an EVH 5150III. Both are real.

Still, I hope the conversation and insights continue because it's fun to test drive difference solutions. I made an AUM track and started auditioning various Saturators, Distortions, Amp sims, Reverbs, etc. I was surprised how much I liked the simple:

Parametric EQ
    AUM Saturator+GAIN
    Parametric EQ

with Magic DeathEye for extra harmonics as proven in the @BlueMangoo Compressor video
    which is a "must watch" if you want to know how math can model hardware. Watch all the @BlueMangoo videos and subscribe. They can monetize that effort and we'll get more instruction and insights.

SUBSCRIBE NOW.

Thanks McD.

I wonder what would happen if you just put more gain into magic death eye to get your distortion from there? Actually this signal path might get you in the same ballpark with my own saturator:

1. EQ
    2. Gain
    3. AUM saturator
    4. Magic Death Eye
    5. EQ
    6. Reverb

We have a component in our saturator that resembles the AUM saturator, except that ours has oversampling and filtering in place to reduce aliasing from that component.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@McD said:

@espiegel123 said:

version of distortion.

Parametric EQ
    AUM Saturator+GAIN
    Parametric EQ

SUBSCRIBE NOW.

Thanks McD.

I wonder what would happen if you just put more gain into magic death eye to get your distortion from there? Actually this signal path might get you in the same ballpark with my own saturator:

1. EQ
    2. Gain
    3. AUM saturator
    4. Magic Death Eye
    5. EQ
    6. Reverb

We have a component in our saturator that resembles the AUM saturator, except that ours has oversampling and filtering in place to reduce aliasing from that component.

You are making me salivate.

• edited November 2019

@Skyblazer said:
    @Blue_Mangoo Regarding Eventide MangledVerb, I don't think MangledVerb sounds anything like a Rat, nor do I think it sounds incredibly close to analog distortion in general. I only brought it up because it sounds closer to "real distortion" than the other iOS apps, and I mean specifically the ones for iOS. So I just thought it's worth knowing about. I don't know if it's special among distortion algorithms as a whole, but it's got something going on that the other iOS options lack.

And regarding the Rat, I assumed you would already be familiar with it, but I'll give you an example of a song. When I think of the Rat tone, the first song that comes to mind is "Cult of Personality" by Living Color, famously featured on the soundtrack to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I think the key characteristic is that dirty, resonant, metallic high end. At a low enough setting, maybe it could sound like the John Mayer jam. But the middle position of the distortion knob on a Rat, is like the highest position on another pedal. The Rat was often used in 80s metal with chorus and reverb, so this will be an example of the sound it has been used to achieve, rather than a pure demonstration of its tonal characteristics. Either way, if your exploration into electronics leads you to finding a good way to emulate it, that would be rad.

Side note: This video was posted in 2009. If you have access to a higher-quality streaming service, I would recommend listening there. Also, it has some guitar solos.

Here's my attempt at modeling that sound:

I think my tone came out darker than Vernon's. My ears couldn't handle that much high frequency noise without putting a noise gate into the setup, and I haven't finished building the noise gate yet.

• Still drooling... will we also get a noise gate in the bargain or is that another app?
    I do have a few noise gates already but some graphs proving that they let too much noise
    past the gate would send me to the queue for that new app too. I'm already in about 3-4 apps queues already (Drambo, Jazz Drummer, Loopy Masterpiece, NS2 Audio IAP and the @BlueMangoo "Salivator").

• @McD said:
    Still drooling... will we also get a noise gate in the bargain or is that another app?
    I do have a few noise gates already but some graphs proving that they let too much noise
    past the gate would send me to the queue for that new app too. I'm already in about 3-4 apps queues already (Drambo, Jazz Drummer, Loopy Masterpiece, NS2 Audio IAP and the @BlueMangoo "Salivator").

We did try putting a noise gate in it early on but decided to make that a separate app instead because most of the amp models don’t need it. I’m tempted to put everything we’ve got (reverb, delay, compression, EQ, and saturation) into one app so that the presets can be complete rigs that get you all the way in one click. But if we design it that way then it will be a long time before we can release it. So we are planning to focus this on just simulating amp and cab so that we can release it soon.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    We did try putting a noise gate in it early on but decided to make that a separate app instead because most of the amp models don’t need it. I’m tempted to put everything we’ve got (reverb, delay, compression, EQ, and saturation).

I own a @BlueMangoo Parametric EQ and Compressor.

So, a combo Reverb/Delay App would make a nice addition to a Guitar Rig "bundle" with a Gate.

Since it's your contention that the Cabinet/room stage is "modeled" with the final EQ are you embedding EQ's into the Saturator or creating new presets for the existing EQ app? To really
    bring out the guitar players I'd bundle all these "stages" in a stand-alone app that also shows up in AUv3 hosts as a suite of "stages/FX'es". You get the guitar player that could care less for AUM and all the other IOS apps. If your tone competes with Bias FX or VStomp you'll get
    a lot of press from the guitar channels. If you tone doesn't selling another Saturator and additional Apps will make us happy to get better tone in our AUv3 rigs while we wait for the usual players to re-package their code into test modules. Yonac could put out dozens of AUv3 "pedal" imitations if they thought it would work. Chances are adding AUv3 looses most of the usual guitar players with a feature they don't know they need (yet).

Whatever you do I'm sure it will be supported with some videos to help figure out how to
    use it... and that's worth supporting.

I need to mop up some of this drool now.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@McD said:
    Still drooling... will we also get a noise gate in the bargain or is that another app?

We did try putting a noise gate in it early on but decided to make that a separate app instead because most of the amp models don’t need it. I’m tempted to put everything we’ve got (reverb, delay, compression, EQ, and saturation) into one app so that the presets can be complete rigs that get you all the way in one click. But if we design it that way then it will be a long time before we can release it. So we are planning to focus this on just simulating amp and cab so that we can release it soon.

Wow, I appreciate the tutorial. Thanks! That's really helpful. Reverb? I can't even imagine what a Blue Mangoo reverb would sound like. I'm looking forward to the demonstration video for that just as much.

• @McD said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    We did try putting a noise gate in it early on but decided to make that a separate app instead because most of the amp models don’t need it. I’m tempted to put everything we’ve got (reverb, delay, compression, EQ, and saturation).

I own a @BlueMangoo Parametric EQ and Compressor.

So, a combo Reverb/Delay App would make a nice addition to a Guitar Rig "bundle" with a Gate.

Since it's your contention that the Cabinet/room stage is "modeled" with the final EQ are you embedding EQ's into the Saturator or creating new presets for the existing EQ app? To really
    bring out the guitar players I'd bundle all these "stages" in a stand-alone app that also shows up in AUv3 hosts as a suite of "stages/FX'es". You get the guitar player that could care less for AUM and all the other IOS apps. If your tone competes with Bias FX or VStomp you'll get
    a lot of press from the guitar channels. If you tone doesn't selling another Saturator and additional Apps will make us happy to get better tone in our AUv3 rigs while we wait for the usual players to re-package their code into test modules. Yonac could put out dozens of AUv3 "pedal" imitations if they thought it would work. Chances are adding AUv3 looses most of the usual guitar players with a feature they don't know they need (yet).

Whatever you do I'm sure it will be supported with some videos to help figure out how to
    use it... and that's worth supporting.

I need to mop up some of this drool now.

I want to release a guitar effects app that runs in either stand-alone mode or as an AU plugin. However, I know that if we try to release that right now then we are going to get sloppy with the effects, not taking time to test and optimise them properly because we are in a hurry to finish a large number of them in a short time.

When we designed our mix bus compressor plugin, for example, we spent four months testing and improving the sound. There is no way we could or would do that in an app that includes a compressor as one of fifty other pedals. At our current rate of development it will be years before we have a large collection of effects.

The saturator design we intend to release will include everything you see in our recent videos:

1. preamp eq
    2. saturator
    3. cabinet modelling eq
    4. Stereo mic simulation
    5. 0.5 seconds stereo reverb

But most of the settings will be baked in to the presets, so you will be able to select the John Mayer tone in the video above and get the whole rig from the video, but we won’t give you an option to edit the preamp and speaker cab EQ settings. If you want to do that, we will have a preset that turns off the pre and post EQ and you can do it yourself by placing EQ audio units before and after the saturator. But I think the better way to do it would be to select a preset that sounds close to the tone you are looking for and then just use the external EQ to touch up the parts of it that didn’t suit your taste.

Eventually I would like to include a fully adjustable parametric EQ into the FX rig so that you can open up our preset amps and edit them. But we won’t do that in the saturator because I want to keep it simple enough so I can release it this year.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    Eventually I would like to include a fully adjustable parametric EQ into the FX rig so that you can open up our preset amps and edit them. But we won’t do that in the saturator because I want to keep it simple enough so I can release it this year.

The apps that got the most revenue from me did it "one IAP at a time" or with some
    "motherhood bundles" on sale for $40. I eventually switched to one AUv3 at a time with
    a couple AUv3 bundles along the way. Still, BeatHawk goes on sales and if the IAP's do too I get a couple more. So, long term IAP-based features mean more revenue to the developer.

You're description of the Saturator design sounds great. But for a long term strategy check out the competitions approach to pulling in more $'s. I'm wondering if showing us the real tech behind the magic makes the most sense for you.

What kind of bird is it? We have a yellow named amazon parrot... nasty little thing but he can sing.

• @McD said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

The apps that got the most revenue from me did it "one IAP at a time" or with some
    "motherhood bundles" on sale for $40. I eventually switched to one AUv3 at a time with
    a couple AUv3 bundles along the way. Still, BeatHawk goes on sales and if the IAP's do too I get a couple more. So, long term IAP-based features mean more revenue to the developer.

You're description of the Saturator design sounds great. But for a long term strategy check out the competitions approach to pulling in more $'s. I'm wondering if showing us the real tech behind the magic makes the most sense for you.

What kind of bird is it? We have a yellow named amazon parrot... nasty little thing but he can sing.

I see what you are saying there. My objections to the IAP model are: It complicates app development and user interface design, and it makes designing presets weird because the presets only work properly if the user has purchased all of the effects that you use in the preset.

However, I do like the idea of earning extra money and I can see how IAPs would help with that. Perhaps we will work on implementing a good IAP sales model in the future.

Re: birds, we have two budgerigars at our house. They like the sound of human voices so they often come into the room when I start recording a video.