Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone still hesitating to get Groove Rider GR-16?

Comments

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    How is she with Texas two step?

• @Svetlovska said:
    ... Though my learning curve will be steep...

The pdf manual is really good. It's worth spending some time reading it.

• @rs2000 said:

@reasOne said:
    How’s she so with ambient music

Does this remotely count as ambient?
    The original sounds better but iOS screen recording thinks I should record stereo audio in mono.

That is a tad more chillwave maybe but still I see where it can go and that sounds really nice!!
    Thank ya for that

@Svetlovska said:

@reasOne said:

Bought it in the sale, just getting into it now (pretty damn deep, and a whole new workflow for me), I am ambient/down tempo all the way, hardly even use regular beats in my pieces, but the cool thing is you can import your own wavs, edit them, assign them to the pads, (without drums or a vocal soul sample in sight if you want) play them pitched, take the tempo waaaay down (20 bpm, for example) and muck about with them a lot with the internal effects, filters etc. Oh, and Serum format wavetables, of which there are many free examples. I don’t know if the workflows are similar, but it looks to me like this can do a lot of the sort of things hardware people use Digitakts for. This is one aspect of what I meant on my previous thread about sample manipulation. It runs in AUM, so that’s all good for me. For £9.99 UK, that’s got to be worth it. Though my learning curve will be steep...

Ya man it does seem to offer quite a range on possible for us ambient guys , I like drums in the stuff I make so I guess it’s more “downtempo “ but whatever haha good info

• Can it output individual pads to audio when connected to an interface? Also is there a limit to polyphony per pad?

• @reasOne said:
    That is a tad more chillwave maybe but still I see where it can go and that sounds really nice!!

You're right. These sounds might be better. Pad from a custom strings wavetable ;)

• @auxmux said:
    Can it output individual pads to audio when connected to an interface? Also is there a limit to polyphony per pad?

1: No
    2: Four voices per pad/part.

• edited October 2019

I'm still hesitating. Didn't touch even Electribe Wave. I don't know if I will get use to this new workflow

• @MAtrixplan said:
    I'm still hesitating. Didn't touch even Electribe Wave. I don't know if I will get use to this new workflow

Music creation apps are always a matter of personal preferences.
    GR-16 has pad drumming and MPC-style note entry (different notes on pads, also scales and chords if you want) or you connect an external keyboard or pad controller to compose.
    You can also use another sequencer (some use Xequence 2) and use GR only as a sound engine wit 16 different sound parts, each up to 4-voice polyphonic.
    I have both Wave and GR and GR is definitely much more powerful with its custom wavetables, slicer, synth engine and more precise MIDI Clock support.
    Wave has a different note entry mechanism as well.
    Maybe watch a few videos to compare them?

• @MAtrixplan said:

FWIW I just don't dig Korg Electribe Wave at all. Don't know why, I just can't seem to warm up to it. So I thought the same when it came to Grooverider, but strangely I seem to be learning in leaps and bounds and it just seems to click with me.

• @rs2000 said:

@reasOne said:

You're right. These sounds might be better. Pad from a custom strings wavetable ;)

I like this!!!
    Can it be loaded as an au with several instances...and can you send Things like spa, Rozeta.. to sequence different parts/sounds

• edited October 2019

@reasOne said:
    Can it be loaded as an au with several instances...and can you send Things like spa, Rozeta.. to sequence different parts/sounds

No, that's totally not the way it's meant to be used.
    Standalone or Audiobus.
    The charm is to stay inside GR and do everything there. Really. Without any distraction ;)

Edit: If you prefer to sequence it elsewhere then you can route the MIDI to GR like you wish of course, with GR running in the background.

• Is there any recent video tutorial (with the added features since launched) ?

• @reasOne said:

@rs2000 said:

@reasOne said:

I like this!!!

It isn't an AU

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

M> @reasOne said:

The main hitch with ambient seems like it would be the inability to hold super long notes (longer than the pattern). Also, note duration is per step, so if you play a chord on beat one, then let go of a few notes and sustain a few, they all end up the same length.

Could you make ambient with it? Sure. Is it well suited for ambient? Not really, IMO.

Now for Texas Two-Step she's sweeter than cherry pie, plum fulla gumption, and finer than frogs’ hair split four ways. B)

• @wim said:
    M> @reasOne said:

The main hitch with ambient seems like it would be the inability to hold super long notes (longer than the pattern). Also, note duration is per step, so if you play a chord on beat one, then let go of a few notes and sustain a few, they all end up the same length.

Could you make ambient with it? Sure. Is it well suited for ambient? Not IMO.

Yep, agreed. Wouldn't be my first choice for ambient although I might use the wavetable synths as a sound source for, say, being controlled by Xequence 2.

Also good point with note duration. Usually that's not really limiting but in case it is, I'll use a second sound part.

• GR-16 is the best of the best without a doubt. $10? No brainer!

• edited October 2019

I was holding off because I felt like it was just one more music creation app that would take time away from others I'm trying to learn, and it is, but since I've bought it I'm pretty impressed with the execution.

Don't quite know how I'm going to work this into other projects, but it's fun to play with.

• I love it, but I’ve yet to figure out how I can map a hardware midi controller that has 16 knobs so that each knob is volume of each voice. I’ve tried the multi channel option,midi learn etc, but I can’t seem to figure out how to do it...

It seems like if I turn on multi channel, and map volume knob to cc7 that ch 1-16 should map, but it doesn’t seem to work...

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    I love it, but I’ve yet to figure out how I can map a hardware midi controller that has 16 knobs so that each knob is volume of each voice. I’ve tried the multi channel option,midi learn etc, but I can’t seem to figure out how to do it...

It seems like if I turn on multi channel, and map volume knob to cc7 that ch 1-16 should map, but it doesn’t seem to work...

In MIDI POLY mode, try sending CC#7 messages on each of the MIDI channels 1..16.
    I've never tried it because I see apps with touchscreen support as the best way to get rid of controller hardware, but you can always try.

• @rs2000 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    I love it, but I’ve yet to figure out how I can map a hardware midi controller that has 16 knobs so that each knob is volume of each voice. I’ve tried the multi channel option,midi learn etc, but I can’t seem to figure out how to do it...

In MIDI POLY mode, try sending CC#7 messages on each of the MIDI channels 1..16.
    I've never tried it because I see apps with touchscreen support as the best way to get rid of controller hardware, but you can always try.

Complete midi control should be a must for "pro"audio apps though. Every single button should have
    a midi learn feature.

• @rs2000 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Yea, like I said, I tried that... It seems that even when multi-channel is on in settings, regardless of the midi controller knob I move, it only changes the volume for the "active" voice/channel in the UI... I figure it's a bug or something...

It's a bummer because it's made for Techno, but so often the cool grooves are found in mixing changes of a small fraction of a db and it's hard to do that with a touchscreen.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@rs2000 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Yea, like I said, I tried that... It seems that even when multi-channel is on in settings, regardless of the midi controller knob I move, it only changes the volume for the "active" voice/channel in the UI... I figure it's a bug or something...

It's a bummer because it's made for Techno, but so often the cool grooves are found in mixing changes of a small fraction of a db and it's hard to do that with a touchscreen.

It works here. Tried with Xequence and three tracks on ch 1,2,3.
    My settings in GR:
    Reset MIDI Learn
    Midi CC Mode: Jump
    Virtual Midi In: On
    Midi In Mode: Poly
    Midi In: [your controller midi port]

• @rs2000 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@rs2000 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

My settings in GR:
    Reset MIDI Learn

All sending the same CC#?

• edited October 2019

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@rs2000 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@rs2000 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

My settings in GR:
    Reset MIDI Learn

All sending the same CC#?

All sending CC#7 from Xequence 2 and faders 1, 2 and 3 controlled by magic forces in GR's mixer (or in the individual parts, both respond to the same CC).

Have you tried resetting MIDI mappings?
    Maybe you have some leftovers from previous experiments...

• Is this still at the top of the heap? Just saw it on sale and wondered if Groove Rider had any competition in 2020.

• @gothamoddisee said:
    Is this still at the top of the heap? Just saw it on sale and wondered if Groove Rider had any competition in 2020.

i just bought it days before the sale but i’m not mad, its well worth full price. if you like what the electribe is, then this is perfect. i wouldn’t hate it bring an audio unit but its not necessary, i’ve been having a blast making cool jams with it. id say it’s the best groovebox on ios as far as features go to completing a song, i haven’t dug into the sound design to deep mostly used presets, i’ve added a couple wave tables of my own , and see it is very capable

• She has a lot to learn about good top mount from a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu perspective...

• This is great, thank you for the detailed response!

@reasOne said:
    i just bought it days before the sale but i’m not mad, its well worth full price. if you like what the electribe is, then this is perfect. i wouldn’t hate it bring an audio unit but its not necessary, i’ve been having a blast making cool jams with it. id say it’s the best groovebox on ios as far as features go to completing a song, i haven’t dug into the sound design to deep mostly used presets, i’ve added a couple wave tables of my own , and see it is very capable

• @gothamoddisee said:
    This is great, thank you for the detailed response!

@reasOne said:

for sure, it pairs great with gadget as well. this is one of my first sketches with it and i think imma finish it! haha

• Superbly Chill
    Thanks for sharing this, your video and song genre are quite different from other (also excellent) videos I’d seen on GR. And seeing how easily it plays nice with the world unto itself that is Gadget - I’m convinced, let’s give it a look!