Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Challenges of Modular Apps on iOS

edited October 2019 in Other

For me, the appeal of modular apps lies in the ability to create patches that are of interest to me, yet are too niche for a developer to create an app for. In this thread, I hope to have a discussion on how we can support modular app development on iOS.

Modular apps on iOS have several challenges:

1. App prices are low versus desktop platforms.
  2. Sand boxing means it’s difficult to create user created modules versus desktop where users can easily install the modules they want or independently develop modules to run in an open source platform (e.g. VCV Rack)
  3. On iOS the developer has to create a way for users to build their own modules (e.g. Audulus) or incorporate the code for any open source modules into the app itself (e.g. miRack).
  4. App Store takes a cut of whatever IAPs may be developed for an app to support 3rd party module developers. Some developers decide not to develop for iOS due to these costs or pay model.
  5. iOS integration into AUv3 is problematic for modular patches and modules versus non-modular AUv3 apps which are less dynamic in terms of their GUI versus a modular patch. For example, Mozaic has a limited number of GUIs to work within these limitations.
  6. Modular apps are more niche so there are fewer users versus other music creation apps.
  7. The support needed for modular apps can be more difficult as a lot of the value in the app lies in the ability of the developer to have a community of users who develop patches and support others in their efforts to create patches.
  8. Reaching critical mass for such a community on iOS can be more difficult as there may not be a larger user base of a cross platform implementations of the app (e.g. macOS, Windows, Linux, Android) and supporting an iOS version isn’t just a simple port for such an app (e.g. VCV Rack and Audulus) whereas there are a growing number of non-modular apps (e.g. Sugarbytes, Audio Damage, Virsyn, Cubasis, GarageBand) .
  9. Hardware integration with Eurorack and other modular systems can be more challenging than on desktops due to I/O hardware limitations.
  10. Fragmentation of the GUI across hardware devices due to a wide range of screens sizes makes it challenging to create universal modular apps.

Comments

• Lot to unpack here.

Easier to just buy a modular desktop at one point....

Let me think

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Lot to unpack here.

Easier to just buy a modular desktop at one point....

Let me think

I think VCV Rack developers were definitely onto something though as the cost of a Eurorack modular system limits who can get into it based upon their financial status, so while it maybe more challenging than creating emulations of other music hardware— the cost of entry is still less than Eurorack. Nevertheless, many modular apps have come and gone over the years on iOS.

Personally, I just don’t have any desire to create music with a laptop or desktop. This is personal choice which I can’t rationally justify anymore than my taste in food.

• It was good to see the post by the Stellare VCV Rack modular developer about miRack. It will be interesting to see how and if they can sell their commercial modules on iOS. Their open source Link module seems especially important for the progress of miRack. It would also help with developing a way to support module developers on iOS so more of them will see iOS as a viable platform for their work.