Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

(UPDATE GOT THE MONOSTATION) GOING LONDON, GONNA BY MY 1ST SYNTH, WHAT'S YOUR SUGGESTION?

edited November 2019 in Other

Hey folks.
So in a couple weeks I'm flying to London and I'll most likely be buying my first hardware synth. I'm light on cash and need my a synth that not only reflects that in price, but also in actual weight and size.

///

TLDR notes - Should I choose:
CRAVE
MONOLOGUE
NEUTRON
SE-02
CIRCUIT MONOSTATION
MICROFREAK

No Volcas, no UnoSynth. I'm not a fan.

///

Initially I wanted something to create a bit of poetry; bring together iOS sequencers / FX etc with an analog box.

So on the lower range I like the Crave (Poorman's Mother 32-ish) . It's the cheapest, sounds nice from online demos, got a sequencer, however might be limited to the range of sounds... however hella fun with the patch bay.

Then there's the Monologue. I've always loved the design, it has a keyboard and can be battery powered (I can sit with it on it's own, no cables or extra connections). I'm not too concerned about that crazy envelope section but I think it might still be limiting... or not. Did I say I really love the look (black)?

Behringer Neutron (Poorman's DREADBOX-ish) - No keyboard, no sequencer, I can change that ugly face, but I feel like I'm gonna end up twiddling more than actually making music. It trumps everything with 2 osc, 2 envelopes, attenuator, patchbay from heaven. I'll admit, I usually make my own patches but I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump into NO PRESET SAVING LAND yet.

On the upper price tier for me is the Roland SE-02, which has always peaked my interest, it's almost like the cheaper Behringer D... but with a sequencer, saved presets, and a bit more. I'm not too concerned about the tiny ass knobs. But is it worth almost £400 at Dawsons, much higher in other places?

Finally, the Circuit Mono Station (I see there are still a few in the UK). I've always fvcking loved this. I love how unique sequencer keyboard grid, its little quirks (like the LEDS change to indicate values of the presets). And Paraphony (like Neutron) is an added attraction for me. Is it worth the almost £400 at KMR?

Honourable Mention - Microfreak... ugh... Yeah it's digital... but do I really care? I dunno. It's small and the lightest, 2 envelopes, mod matrix, 4 voice paraphony (YO!! Chord pads galore), and its unique quirk is the keyboard. But from online demos I don't hear too much low ends. The bass is never really there to me. And again, it's digital. Do I really really care?

So let me know what do you think suggest? Crave, Monologue, Neutron, SE-02, MonoStation or MicroFreak.

Comments

• edited October 2019

If your interested in Novation ... and your going to be in London before 22nd December ... you could always go visit them at their pop-up shop ... even if you don't buy anything, it would be a good day out :)

https://novationmusic.com/novation-london

I have recently got the MonoStation....I'm still learning it but so far I am finding it to be an awesome little machine....I also love my BassStation II and regular Circuit as well.

• MONOLOGUE

Whichever u choose visit or call Juno in Camden and ask for their best price (they pretty much knock off the VAT) . They also do discount over email.

• edited October 2019

i have those:

NEUTRON
    SE-02
    MICROFREAK

neutron has beautiful dirty sound... microfreack has really WIDE sonic range from basses, throuh leads, pads, drums ending with totally weird fxs.. and it has analog filter !! So it is not completely digital (in case it matters ;)) SE-02 is incredible... cross modulations are like nothing else, filter is huge.. it is really poor man's Model D, in some aspects even better..

If i should choose my first synth, then it would be probably Microfreak and second will be SE-02.

btw keyboard on Microfreak is incredibly inspirative and creative !

• @no1normal said:
    MONOLOGUE

Whichever u choose visit or call Juno in Camden and ask for their best price (they pretty much knock off the VAT) . They also do discount over email.

I've been looking at their website for months and I've been so confused. Are those real prices? Or is there a catch like 'online only' prices?

• @AndyPlankton said:
    If your interested in Novation ... and your going to be in London before 22nd December ... you could always go visit them at their pop-up shop ... even if you don't buy anything, it would be a good day out :)

https://novationmusic.com/novation-london

First on my itinerary!!

• @dendy said:
    i have those:

NEUTRON
    SE-02
    MICROFREAK

neutron has beautiful dirty sound... microfreack has really WIDE sonic range from basses, throuh leads, pads, drums ending with totally weird fxs.. and it has analog filter !! So it is not completely digital (in case it matters ;)) SE-02 is incredible... cross modulations are like nothing else, filter is huge.. it is really poor man's Model D, in some aspects even better..

If i should choose my first synth, then it would be probably Microfreak and second will be SE-02.

btw keyboard on Microfreak is incredibly inspirative and creative !

That's a really beautiful combo.

• Great thread, especially because I’m also eyeing up my first synth. I generally take heed of what @dendy days so am checking out the microfreak :smile:

• Are there any synths which indicate scale in the keys, like Korg’s nanokey? That would be great for a non-keyboard player like myself. It’s too late to learn now so this capability would be great.

• edited October 2019

@DatGood said:

@no1normal said:
    MONOLOGUE

I've been looking at their website for months and I've been so confused. Are those real prices? Or is there a catch like 'online only' prices?

They are real. The advertised prices are often the lowest, then if you ask they often reduce them more.
    EG They advertise the new Juno 06a boutique for £340, I called and the offered it to me for £310. ( I’ve not gone for it yet )

They send u a code to use at checkout valid for ltd time. Popular premium brands like Elektron have less margin. Think it depends on stock numbers too. I do buy from anyone else without checking first.

I suggested Monologue as this was my first synth and its instant fun and great to learn. Great sequencer and tonnes of sweet spots.

Be warned tho, hardware synths often lead to more hardware. (I have lots of gear under dust sheets while I’m on the sofa using OS synths)

Don’t under estimate OS synths...

• edited October 2019

@DatGood said:

@dendy said:
    i have those:

NEUTRON
    SE-02
    MICROFREAK

That's a really beautiful combo.

thanks :-) they have 2 more friends on my desk - Arturia Minibrute and Blofeld .. Blofeld is just incredible synth

And Minibrute is amazimg too.. in this track i usef Minibrute for everything except of kick and snare.. Its great alternative for "first synth" too

• Minilogue XD or Digitone

• edited October 2019

The SE-02 is amazing (I have one, plus the Ext Box, which really completes it). It's not meant to be a Model D, though if you turn down the volume of the oscillators you can get close - and even closer with the Ext Box. It's a more modern sound. Very portable, too, though it requires the AC power cable. It's very 1:1 and definitely has made me better at synthesis in general. It's my only hardware synth and I won't be getting more (spent my $$ on software) and I'm still happy with that because it's so versatile.

Don't forget about Modal Electronics synths (eg SKULPT and CRAFT 2) if you're in the UK.

All that said, why a brand new synth instead of used?

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    The SE-02 is amazing (I have one, plus the Ext Box, which really completes it). It's not meant to be a Model D, though if you turn down the volume of the oscillators you can get close - and even closer with the Ext Box. It's a more modern sound. Very portable, too, though it requires the AC power cable. It's very 1:1 and definitely has made me better at synthesis in general. It's my only hardware synth and I won't be getting more (spent my $$ on software) and I'm still happy with that because it's so versatile.

Don't forget about Modal Electronics synths (eg SKULPT and CRAFT 2) if you're in the UK.

I’ve wondered about getting a second hand synth but I’m too paranoid about being sold a dud and then having no way of getting my money back. I don’t really buy second hand electronics because of this (maybe irrational?) fear.

• Second hand music gear is a pretty good bet as most music gear hardly gets used so the condition is in general very good. Obviously get real pictures from the seller and ask a few choice questions and you’ll be good. I always google the product to check if older models had issues which the company had to revise. Like the older Yamaha reface cp has an sound issue so I cant buy that secondhand etc...

• Behringer Crave could be right up your street. I see the are starting to mobilise at last.

• @hibjshop said:
    Minilogue XD or Digitone

@audio_DT said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

I’ve wondered about getting a second hand synth but I’m too paranoid about being sold a dud and then having no way of getting my money back. I don’t really buy second hand electronics because of this (maybe irrational?) fear.

Totally makes sense. I bought my SE-02 in person, hooked up so I could demo it, even though it was a few $$ more than online. If I'd had $$$ I could've purchased some seriously amazing additional gear from the guy that was moving, but... alas. Ok, I DO have a 2nd synth but never use it as a synth but only as a MIDI controller: Novation Ultranova. I bought that one on Reverb.com.

The thing about hardware is... there's only one instance of it. Unless you're rich and have lots of space. I prefer software. But don't ever plan to sell the SE-02.

• @no1normal said:
    Be warned tho, hardware synths often lead to more hardware. (I have lots of gear under dust sheets while I’m on the sofa using OS synths)
    Don’t under estimate OS synths...

LOL, I have a relatively simple "dream set-up" that's my goal so I know I won't suffer from GAS.

• @hibjshop said:
    Minilogue XD or Digitone

Man, I don't think I have the £££ for an XD, although I would DEFINITELY LOVE the desktop XD over the monologue.

• @vitocorleone123 said:

Thanks but I genuinely do not like Modal's stuff. I watched many reviews especially one by Stimming who has super honest and practical reviews. I don't like the layouts, the encoders, and especially the use of the apps.

Re: Used Synth - I'm up to it but I feel similar to @audio_DT, especially for my 1st ever synth. Are there second hand synth stores in London?

• I got the MicroFreak as my first HW synth.

I'm sooo happy I did - it's such a versatile thing. The mod matrix is great and the keyboard really adds another dimension to the whole experience.

• @Peblin said:
    I got the MicroFreak as my first HW synth.

I'm sooo happy I did - it's such a versatile thing. The mod matrix is great and the keyboard really adds another dimension to the whole experience.

Yeah, I’m quickly settling on this one, too. Looks so good, with great features for a small price.

• Roland JU-06A could be another option: 4 voice polyphony, arpeggiator and 16-step sequencer, chorus and delay effects, integrated USB audio interface, 64 memories and the LFO has 7 waveforms

• I have a Monologue and a Minilogue XD.
    They are both quite different beasts, but do have similarities..eg the sequencer and motion sequencing.
    If your budget stretches to the Minilogue XD , I would highly recommend it.
    The Monologue is also very cool, with a pretty agressive filter.
    Both of these synths have slim keys which take a bit of getting used to.
    Recently I have been powering the Monologue with a USB power bank and a 5v to 9 volt step up converter.

• edited October 2019

@DatGood said:
    Hey folks.
    So in a couple weeks I'm flying to London and I'll most likely be buying my first hardware synth. I'm light on cash and need my a synth that not only reflects that in price, but also in actual weight and size.

///

TLDR notes - Should I choose:
    CRAVE
    MONOLOGUE
    NEUTRON
    SE-02
    CIRCUIT MONOSTATION
    MICROFREAK

No Volcas, no UnoSynth. I'm not a fan.

///

Initially I wanted something to create a bit of poetry; bring together iOS sequencers / FX etc with an analog box.

So on the lower range I like the Crave (Poorman's Mother 32-ish) . It's the cheapest, sounds nice from online demos, got a sequencer, however might be limited to the range of sounds... however hella fun with the patch bay.

Then there's the Monologue. I've always loved the design, it has a keyboard and can be battery powered (I can sit with it on it's own, no cables or extra connections). I'm not too concerned about that crazy envelope section but I think it might still be limiting... or not. Did I say I really love the look (black)?

Behringer Neutron (Poorman's DREADBOX-ish) - No keyboard, no sequencer, I can change that ugly face, but I feel like I'm gonna end up twiddling more than actually making music. It trumps everything with 2 osc, 2 envelopes, attenuator, patchbay from heaven. I'll admit, I usually make my own patches but I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump into NO PRESET SAVING LAND yet.

On the upper price tier for me is the Roland SE-02, which has always peaked my interest, it's almost like the cheaper Behringer D... but with a sequencer, saved presets, and a bit more. I'm not too concerned about the tiny ass knobs. But is it worth almost £400 at Dawsons, much higher in other places?

Finally, the Circuit Mono Station (I see there are still a few in the UK). I've always fvcking loved this. I love how unique sequencer keyboard grid, its little quirks (like the LEDS change to indicate values of the presets). And Paraphony (like Neutron) is an added attraction for me. Is it worth the almost £400 at KMR?

Honourable Mention - Microfreak... ugh... Yeah it's digital... but do I really care? I dunno. It's small and the lightest, 2 envelopes, mod matrix, 4 voice paraphony (YO!! Chord pads galore), and its unique quirk is the keyboard. But from online demos I don't hear too much low ends. The bass is never really there to me. And again, it's digital. Do I really really care?

So let me know what do you think suggest? Crave, Monologue, Neutron, SE-02, MonoStation or MicroFreak.

I think you cant go wrong with your list, i have analogue gear and love it. I also have a microfreak and its got its own vibe going, i really like the sequencer.

• Be hard to beat the B)Odyssee at 500.00 imho
    Fat as it gets, screaming leads
    Audio in

• OMG. A new contender in the race. I'll take this over the Neutron.

• Aight, so I bought the Monostation, and at a good price too at WestendDJ. I’m in London with my partner and our daughter so didn’t get to test and shop much. I did also go to Juno, where I got to test drive most my favs in one room; Monologue, Minilogue, Minilogue XD, Grandmother and a Sub37.
    Amazing demo room.
    Then went to Shoreditch at Novation’s pop up to see CALC and test run everything they have... and a Dreadbox Erebus 3 (random).

Anyway, the MS is quite interesting, haven’t gotten time to delve hard into it just yet. But it’s great from the quick tests. A lot to read to figure out the lights and menus. Also gotta figure out how to properly hook this up to an M-Audio Air 192/6 to the iPad.
    Videos soon come.

• @DatGood said:
    Aight, so I bought the Monostation, and at a good price too at WestendDJ. I’m in London with my partner and our daughter so didn’t get to test and shop much. I did also go to Juno, where I got to test drive most my favs in one room; Monologue, Minilogue, Minilogue XD, Grandmother and a Sub37.
    Amazing demo room.
    Then went to Shoreditch at Novation’s pop up to see CALC and test run everything they have... and a Dreadbox Erebus 3 (random).

Anyway, the MS is quite interesting, haven’t gotten time to delve hard into it just yet. But it’s great from the quick tests. A lot to read to figure out the lights and menus. Also gotta figure out how to properly hook this up to an M-Audio Air 192/6 to the iPad.
    Videos soon come.

Hey, hope you got a better deal than £239 for the MonoStation which is the current Black Friday offer. If not you may still be able to take it back if you’re still in London?

Fingers crossed you got a better deal because I’m only posting this to help out. :)

https://store.focusrite.com/en-gb/categories/black-friday-2019

• micro freak is just clawing at my friggin pockets lol

• Out of those i would get crave + some used eurorack modules and power. Hard for me to guess what you would like the most as its personal preference. If it were my first synth, i would buy yamaha cs6x or cs6r(rack version) + midi keys.