Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

unable to use BLE midi with windows 10

anybody have a solid understanding of BLE midi between windows 10 and ipados?

so far i have successfully (i think) used AUM to get the ipad paired and connected as a midi peripheral to the win10 laptop

but:
when i run midiberry there are no input ports
AUM does not list a bluetooth port in the midi router

am i missing a step? am i missing a driver?

Comments

• Try running midimittr on your iPad.

• I have spent some time in the past getting BLE MIDI to connect/work with Win 10. It's enough to drive you over to macOS!

iOS devices were more difficult than most other BT devices. Ultimately I gave up on it. By the time you set up your MIDI loop software to generate ports for the BT device and try and find an app that will assist in connection to the actual BT devices...really, you may as well just find some apps that let you send MIDI over USB...like Studiomux/Midimux (now basically unsupported but they essentially work).

I also tried the CME Widibud but it wouldn't jive with iOS devices.

• Are you on Windows 19.03 ? Midiberry states a bug on this version .

Although Microsoft announced support for Bluetooth midi , they never supported Apple’s protocol officially ,so there’s no built in driver , so I suggest trying midimux app .

If you can make a wired Ethernet connection (to avoid jittery wireless midi) I could guide you to make a midi bridge, but again it’s much easier via midimux & a lighting cable.

• yes i am on windows 19.03 so i guess i just have to wait... thanks for the info
    i have been using studiomux but i am trying to find an alternative

• For non critical ,just for fun use, WiFi midi is nice

• well i updated midiberry and now the BLE input shows up
    further, the BLE midi port is visible to windows DAWs (so im not sure why midiberry is needed?)
    but, the other side of the BLE port is not visible in AUM

is there anyone who has had a successful windows to ipad BLE connection? maybe this is an AUM problem

• @wellingtonCres said:
    well i updated midiberry and now the BLE input shows up
    further, the BLE midi port is visible to windows DAWs (so im not sure why midiberry is needed?)
    but, the other side of the BLE port is not visible in AUM

is there anyone who has had a successful windows to ipad BLE connection? maybe this is an AUM problem

Same problem for AudioBus, so I don't think it's an AUM problem. The Bluetooth MIDI dialog is a generic system service, so probably doesn't work anywhere. I dunno why.

• edited October 2019

Just tried and it works . But only from one device to another at a time .
    Only bug I noticed is that MidiBerry must not be minimized else Audiobus looses the desktop connection .

Launched AB3 ,selected advertise this devise , paired it to my SP4 , started loopMidi & created 2 virtual ports, opened MidiBerry :

As input the iPad & output to my virtual midi port 1
    Or
    As input my virtual midi port 2 & output the iPad

iOS 12.3 , Windows 1903

Edit: works on my iPhone iOS 13

• have you noticed that midiberry and loopmidi are seemingly no longer necessary? once i pair the ipad to the laptop the ble port appears in my daw. hmmmm

maybe it will work soon... seems close

• @wellingtonCres said:
    have you noticed that midiberry and loopmidi are seemingly no longer necessary? once i pair the ipad to the laptop the ble port appears in my daw. hmmmm

maybe it will work soon... seems close

Strange, can’t see anything on both Reaper or MidiOX , curious which DAW you use?
    Also on iOS which app do you use to send Bluetooth midi ?

• i am using reaper and ableton on windows and AUM on ipados
    i notice:
    windows describes the BLE port as paired or connected, seemingly at random
    AUM never sees the BLE port
    sometimes the BLE peripheral advertising slideover inside AUM reports an error shutting down the service

• Watching this thread cause there is zero report on the net about windows BLE midi working without MidiBerry wrapper .
    Windows just see the port as phone or tablet . There are indeed 2 different connections, one is the BLE port but as I mentioned they aren’t recognized as midi ports and have to use MidiBerry instead.
    Have latest Windows version and my iPhone is on latest iOS

WiFi port ok , DAWs see it , but it’s useless besides CC control

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

I'm really tempted to get one of these to see if Network MIDI Session over Ethernet is a viable option.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Ethernet-Charging-Compatible-Required/dp/B07B9VQXL4/

• @wim , I bought a cheap 3*usb3 ports plus Ethernet hub and woks fine, but again it’s easier with studiomux ;)