Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Messing with Cubasis today...

This involved some cutting and pasting and some Cubasis to Cubasis routing, as I couldn't get the glue feature to work in order to stick two pastes together for the long fade at the end. Anyone else got it to work?

Comments

• I don't think glue works with audio, at least I've never managed it and believe me I've tried.....

Sounds really good! What sound sources did you use and how did you do the fade, as Cubasis clip automation or by fading from another App linked by AB? I've had to resort to using LiveFX to do filter and fade automation with Cubasis to Cubasis routing.

• edited February 2013

Very nice, Paul. Would you list the apps you used other than cubasis? Or was it all cubasis? Thanks.

• Piano backing was all Chordbot, rendered file emailed to myself and opened in Cubasis.
    Copied and pasted the wav for the repeat, then copied, pasted and trimmed to create half the fade section, as it's actually the intro. Copied and pasted that to create the rest of the fade section, then found that I couldn't glue the two halves together in order to do the auto fade.
    Moved the two bits to another track, muted the rest, reconfigured Audiobus so that Cubasis could record itself and recorded the fade section as one stem on a new track. Performed auto fade on new bit in edit mode and moved it into place on original track.
    Recorded cello part using Thumbjam controlled by iFretless via virtual MIDI. Found fade too slow for my liking so dragged top right square on fade out stem to the left until it sounded right.
    Added a touch of reverb as insert fx to both parts and mixed down to AudioShare.

• Thanks for that Paul, wouldn't have guessed Chordbot for the piano. Also interesting that you used Cubasis own reverb.

I think the work around techniques we have all had to come up with to make up for Cubasis lack of automation are quite interesting. They work but they require a slightly different mindset from we're used to with a modern DAW. No doubt we'll all just get used to them an then Steinberg will add automation and make them redundant :)

• The reverb I added was very subtle, mainly to push the piano more into the background, but also to smooth any joins, so it didn't need to be stellar. The insert effect was handy and did the job, so I used it.

• @PaulB Nice. Who would have thought of using Chordbot.

• Someone who's crap at piano. :)

• Lol. That's why I needed Guitarism.

• Thanks, Paul. I thought I recognized chordbot, but wasn't sure. I commented on another thread specifically about that app earlier. I went to get that link for you, but I see that was actually you who posted that info ;-)

• Yeah. :)

Having Chordbot on the bus would have simplified my workflow, but not long to wait now, Apple willing.

• @PaulB Samvada2 is a very nice tone. And how did you do record the slap bass multitrack?

• edited February 2013

I think I just ran iFretless out of the iPad headphone socket into Multitrack DAW on my iPod via iRig, hence the Multitrack-XXXXXXX file name.

I would LOVE to see Samvada on the bus.

• Samvada for input- and fx-slot would be really cool...