Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

It was 4Pockets! MultiTrack Recorder! Video and App Store Links in OP

Comments

• edited October 2019

@MonzoPro said:

@RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Telefunky said:

Not a biggie, but it’d have been nice to have been able to remix a multi channel session after recording, as I invariably make cock-ups while jamming.

Where this may not bring the multi-track recording, it does bring the multi-track editing......AUM already does multi-track recording (ARM each individual track). Pull those recorded files from audioshare into this using files app after your initial recording pass, then you can do your overdubs and fixes to errors.

Yeah, I never use that though as it's a faff, would have been nice to have the tracks all laid out ready.

If you are recording a jam in AUM....then the recordings you do in AUM will be the full length tracks (not loops that need arranging), so when pulled in would be all ready for your edits ?

Yeah, just having to set them up in a new thing adds another step, lazy I know, but it disturbs the flow. Might be worth bearing in mind now this is out though, as I can drag them into the new app (split screen) and keep everything going in AUM.

I know what you mean....I'm the same, have a flow going, laying down good stuff, then have to stop for any reason....making a brew....rolling a fag...export/import to another app......and the flow is gone....I mean, I don't even like having to open menu's when I'm in the flow hahaha

The jam sessions here are like mystical rituals. I'll be stripped to the waist, painted in tribal geometric shapes channeling Eris, the Greek goddess of strife and discord, and any interruption of the flow could be fatal.

@bleep said:
    Actually, you can probably add an instance to all channels to record single tracks, then open an instance and use the mentioned filter button to only see files/recordings relevant for your song. I'm sure 4pockets can include a gesture, button or something to add all those as tracks in one go.

Yeah cool.

OMMFG!! it’s like a tiny Auria that can be hosted inside Auria... the world has finally turned inside out! i thought it would be Trump that heralded the Great Inversion.. turns out it’s Paul the MusicMan!!
    quick McMonz get yr semi-naked discordian flow on, preferably slap bang in the savoury manifold of a Froxfield Pentagram. Spare our wormian bones from Yog-Sothoth’s sepulchral spit roast!
    if they make an app that can host itself inside itself an infinite number of times we might be able to escape down that rabbithole?

A 13 disc evaluation of the nine psycho-geographical Fibonacci spirals between Cascob (abracadabra), and the imaginary Kington pyramid you say?

Great idea!

I think this app could be just the thing to do it.....usual question of how it performs on a woad-encrusted Iron-age Air 2 though!

the ‘Air’ will be blue... fo’ sho’. but will it be with expletives or ectoplasm??!

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    No App Store link in this thread that I can see. For shaaaaame!

You can find the link here : https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35301/multitrack-recorder-plugin-by-4pockets-com#latest

• @dendy said:

@audio_DT said:

@dendy said:

@richardyot said:
    Please please please convince Matt to release a hotfix that allows audio to be routed into AUs! That would make the wait for audio tracks a lot easier to bear.

Be sure i already opened this discussion :-)

Can you record audio from apps straight into it in NS2, though, e.g. sample a cpu-intensive moog bassline?

in case you're talking about Moog AU loaded inside NS then yes, you just put MultiTrack as insert FX on channel with Moog, and you can record it ..

Yes, I was. Thanks, @dendy, that's great.

• This has added timeline song building to my Ampify projects, not something I always want when working with these apps, but there are times I wished there was one.....I have Groovebox, Launchpad and blocs all hosted in AUM, as well as an audio in channel for external audio from guitar and synths....
    I can now load this onto a new audio track....this gives me a timeline to export loops from the Ampify apps to, to allow me to arrange full tracks from the exported loops....
    I can record live playing from Guitar or external synths while that timeline arrangement plays.
    If I also add an instance of this to each of the Ampify channels.....(or route audio to the original instance via busses from those Ampify tracks) I can also record jams (complete with FX from LP or Synth tweaks from GB) direct from the apps as well.

I may be gone for some while :sunglasses:

• @AndyPlankton said:
    This has added timeline song building to my Ampify projects, not something I always want when working with these apps, but there are times I wished there was one.....I have Groovebox, Launchpad and blocs all hosted in AUM, as well as an audio in channel for external audio from guitar and synths....
    I can now load this onto a new audio track....this gives me a timeline to export loops from the Ampify apps to, to allow me to arrange full tracks from the exported loops....
    I can record live playing from Guitar or external synths while that timeline arrangement plays.
    If I also add an instance of this to each of the Ampify channels.....(or route audio to the original instance via busses from those Ampify tracks) I can also record jams (complete with FX from LP or Synth tweaks from GB) direct from the apps as well.

I reckon I'll be picking this up very soon, sounds like a proper thing.

How is it on CPU? I'm on an olde Air2 so need to be careful if it starts hotting up the CPU, once I start building up the tracks and filling them with creaks and giggles.

• Ok, i foumd even more simple workaround how to record external stuff into MultiTrack

Just run standalone version of multitrack - leave NS play in background, switch to standalone version of multitrack, record it there ..

immediately after you switch to NS, recorded audio will be available inside multiTrack plugin audio pool, so you can just drop it to timeline of multitrack AU...

• edited October 2019

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    This has added timeline song building to my Ampify projects, not something I always want when working with these apps, but there are times I wished there was one.....I have Groovebox, Launchpad and blocs all hosted in AUM, as well as an audio in channel for external audio from guitar and synths....

I reckon I'll be picking this up very soon, sounds like a proper thing.

How is it on CPU? I'm on an olde Air2 so need to be careful if it starts hotting up the CPU, once I start building up the tracks and filling them with creaks and giggles.

I'm on air 2 as well...

CPU seems pretty good at the moment, at standstill, with GB, BW and LP and this all loaded......CPU idling at 9-11%
    When playing, and the Ampify projects all have 8 tracks playing each....and this with 8 tracks, cpu is fluctuating from 9-40%, not using any of MultiTracks FX.....I'd normally add global reverb etc at a later stage (I already have artistic reverb on individual instruments through GB), so they may push it a bit more, but they are described as being CPU efficient, turning them on with default settings adds 3-4% to the CPU.
    It also has a magic 'CPU saver'

Have only really done quick tests to see whats possible workflow wise so not really pushing it yet...I'll report back on findings later this evening when I've had chance to give it a proper thrashing :)

I've also not investigated exporting everything for final mixing and mastering in Cubasis.....previously if I wanted to build like the above, I would have to export everything from the ampify apps, import into cubasis, and then start recording.....all that export/import BEFORE I could start recording because of there being no real way on syncing the Ampify Apps with Cubasis.
    Now I can record direct into this, while still playing the original loops in the Ampify apps....no interruption save opening this :)

EDIT: Found a couple of niggly things...
    when importing..I did it in bulk from a Groovebox export, it doesn't retain the audiofile names...they all get numbered sequentially, and the list isn't in alphabetic or numeric order.
    Looping only works when not using the host sync for transport.

EDIT2:
    I'm not noticing any more heat than before, not sure if your hot is the same as my hot though :D

• edited October 2019

How is this different than simply recording the track within AUM and then reusing it as a synched, looped clip in AUM's file player?

Obviously, you can edit these clips, which is big. But is there any other advantage?

• edited October 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:
    How is this different than simply recording the track within AUM and then reusing it as a synched, looped clip in AUM's file player?

Because you can build an arrangement from loops in it.
    For full length audio tracks, you are right, fileplayers will achieve the same end.

• There you go.
    I knew it was a simple answer!
    Do you like it?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    There you go.
    I knew it was a simple answer!
    Do you like it?

:D there usually is :)
    So far yes....not sure how much the niggly things will become headaches over time, but it definitely removes a big blocker from my regular AUM workflow....the audio arranging...usually when I want to do this, I have to move everything to Cubasis, so more often than not just simply don't bother...well worth the £9.99 to me for that :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

CPU seems pretty good at the moment, at standstill, with GB, BW and LP and this all loaded......CPU idling at 9-11%
    When playing, and the Ampify projects all have 8 tracks playing each....and this with 8 tracks, cpu is fluctuating from 9-40%, not using any of MultiTracks FX.....I'd normally add global reverb etc at a later stage (I already have artistic reverb on individual instruments through GB), so they may push it a bit more, but they are described as being CPU efficient, turning them on with default settings adds 3-4% to the CPU.

Have only really done quick tests to see whats possible workflow wise so not really pushing it yet...I'll report back on findings later this evening when I've had chance to give it a proper thrashing :)

That's brilliant thanks Andy, that all sounds pretty usable. I'd be recording in three or four apps at a time for each track, before kicking them all out and bringing in new ones for the next track overdub (or reusing the same ones) so sounds like my iPad would cope with that. I'm guessing record mode wouldn't have much of an impact. Doubt I'd be recording more than three tracks.

@AndyPlankton said:

when importing..I did it in bulk from a Groovebox export, it doesn't retain the audiofile names...they all get numbered sequentially, and the list isn't in alphabetic or numeric order.

EDIT2:
    I'm not noticing any more heat than before, not sure if your hot is the same as my hot though :D

That too! More hot as in CPU panicking, but I have to watch out for a few apps temperature wise too.

Sounds like it'd suit my needs - rather than recording a bunch of AUM jams and then editing them up on the desktop, I can just to it all in AUM with this one. Yep, sounds good.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

That's brilliant thanks Andy, that all sounds pretty usable. I'd be recording in three or four apps at a time for each track, before kicking them all out and bringing in new ones for the next track overdub (or reusing the same ones) so sounds like my iPad would cope with that. I'm guessing record mode wouldn't have much of an impact. Doubt I'd be recording more than three tracks.

@AndyPlankton said:

EDIT2:

That too! More hot as in CPU panicking, but I have to watch out for a few apps temperature wise too.

Sounds like it'd suit my needs - rather than recording a bunch of AUM jams and then editing them up on the desktop, I can just to it all in AUM with this one. Yep, sounds good.

My next test is to see how well it works with the new Launchpad Mini...see if I can make a control page for the recording side of things.....if I can play and record, all from the controllers, I am a happy bunny.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If only Beathawk would let me record in 3/4... AUM with Beathawk and multitrack recorder would be my go to playground...

• edited October 2019

@d4d0ug said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@AndyPlankton said:

EDIT2:

My next test is to see how well it works with the new Launchpad Mini...see if I can make a control page for the recording side of things.....if I can play and record, all from the controllers, I am a happy bunny.

I’m not seeing a record parameter exposed in AUM... might be missing something here....

Thanks for the heads up on that :(
    There is talk of a remote record feature, maybe I can use that instead....not looked into it yet, it's on the list for later.

• @bleep said:
    The benefits of host transport bar interaction with its AUs, sounds very useful indeed. Am I right in guessing that an IAA midi sequencer app would not have this tight transport bar integration, following song position, when placing the multitrack AU in AUM?

IAA sync and MIDI Clock sync can be tight. Nothing prevents IAA apps from being tightly synced. Some apps don't implement synch, though.

• @espiegel123 said:

@bleep said:
    The benefits of host transport bar interaction with its AUs, sounds very useful indeed. Am I right in guessing that an IAA midi sequencer app would not have this tight transport bar integration, following song position, when placing the multitrack AU in AUM?

IAA sync and MIDI Clock sync can be tight. Nothing prevents IAA apps from being tightly synced. Some apps don't implement synch, though.

Yeah, that sync can be tight, but there is no concept of song position, at least not for Midi clock. Here, for instance, is a block of transport information you can get from an AU host, including current position and cycle start/end:
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox/auhosttransportstateblock?language=objc

• @bleep said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bleep said:

Yeah, that sync can be tight, but there is no concept of song position, at least not for Midi clock. Here, for instance, is a block of transport information you can get from an AU host, including current position and cycle start/end:
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox/auhosttransportstateblock?language=objc

@bleep I think I know what you are getting at here....how do you loop a portion of the timeline for fiddling, overdubbing, mixing etc

AUM, as you say has no concept of loop points...so .....you can't......when using host sync the loop points in Multitrack are ignored (because it is now following the AUM transport)...To loop a part of the multitrack timeline, you have to turn off host sync. I'm not familiar enough with Xequence to help from that side. Perhaps there is a way of looping and syncing Multitrack and Xequence directly ?

• Can this be used in Audiobus?? I don’t use Aum.

• @klattgalvin said:
    Can this be used in Audiobus?? I don’t use Aum.

+1, or ApeMatrix?

Also can it record multiple tracks at the same time ?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@d4d0ug said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@AndyPlankton said:

EDIT2:

I’m not seeing a record parameter exposed in AUM... might be missing something here....

Thanks for the heads up on that :(
    There is talk of a remote record feature, maybe I can use that instead....not looked into it yet, it's on the list for later.

Nope, sorry, that doesn't help. Remote is there so that pressing record in a host that supports it starts recording in the app. Doesn't work in AUM. You have to leave Remote off, host sync on, then arm recording in the app and press play in AUM.

Remote does do this in NS2 though.

Some of the sync and automation choices in this thing aren't as well thought through as the rest of the app. I need to collect my thoughts and see if 4Pockets will be open to suggestions. Some simple things would make this more useful in a lot of ways. 4Pockets was very open and responsive once I got his attention last time.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@Korakios said:

@klattgalvin said:

+1, or ApeMatrix?

Audiobus yes. Ape, haven't tried (yet). I don't see why it wouldn't work though. In fact, it should be a great fit since routing and unrouting things to it are so easy there.

I don't think it can record multiple tracks at the same time, but you can have as many instances as you want and then export/import tracks between them to build up a multiple track song.

• @wim said:

@Korakios said:

@klattgalvin said:

+1, or ApeMatrix?

Audiobus yes. Ape, haven't tried (yet). I don't see why it wouldn't work though. In fact, it should be a great fit since routing and unrouting things to it are so easy there.

I don't think it can record multiple tracks at the same time, but you can have as many instances as you want and then export/import tracks between them to build up a multiple track song.

@wim Be good to see a setup for ApeMatrix having trouble syncing and recording anything. Can see me using this more in NS2 than other DAWs as it works the best with loop points DAW sync Remote etc than other DAWs and AUM I’ve tried.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @wim Be good to see a setup for ApeMatrix having trouble syncing and recording anything. Can see me using this more in NS2 than other DAWs as it works the best with loop points DAW sync Remote etc than other DAWs and AUM I’ve tried.

Worked here in my quick test:

• Add the app you want to record to Ape but don't route audio to the speaker
    • Add MultiTrack. Route output to speaker. Turn on Monitor. Enable Sync to Host. Disable Remote.
    • Route the app you want to record to MultiTrack.
    • Arm a track, and press the record button in MultiTrack (it will flash but won't start the app)
    • Press Play in Ape. Audio is recorded.
  • Wow, this is sounding really promising!

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

It gets around that huge issue in Ape of only being able to record a limited number of busses. And routing things to/from it is more intuitive than other apps. This, and the realization that you can save window positions and have up to three views per session is really making me start to re-think Ape Matrix, which I've not seen the advantage of much until now.

• @wim said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Worked here in my quick test:

• Add the app you want to record to Ape but don't route audio to the speaker
    • Add MultiTrack. Route output to speaker. Turn on Monitor. Enable Sync to Host. Disable Remote.
    • Route the app you want to record to MultiTrack.
    • Arm a track, and press the record button in MultiTrack (it will flash but won't start the app)
    • Press Play in Ape. Audio is recorded.

@wim Got it working cheers.

• Nice little app to have in NanoStduio...

• @wim said:
    Some of the sync and automation choices in this thing aren't as well thought through as the rest of the app. I need to collect my thoughts and see if 4Pockets will be open to suggestions. Some simple things would make this more useful in a lot of ways. 4Pockets was very open and responsive once I got his attention last time.

Yeah, starting to realise some of its limitations, in an AUM context anyway....
    You can only use host sync if you are not looping...so it's fine for full length playback of your arrangement, but does not help if you are recording loops.....haven't yet determined if when not using host sync, does it sync at all or just rely on tempo being the same and a synchronised start.....for recording played stuff not so much of an issue, but for sequenced or LFO synced it could be a problem. Can an AU sync to link when not using host sync ?