Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

It was 4Pockets! MultiTrack Recorder! Video and App Store Links in OP

Comments

• @Stiksi said:
    The description does mention ”great for NS2” on a feature description, can anyone confirm it works as expected?

It’s working, and that’s pretty awesome. Imported files from iCloud for playback work, won’t get to record till tomorrow with external audio hardware, but I’m digging it.

• @audio_DT
    Is there any indication on the NS2 timeline of when audio hosted in the app is plying or not playing?

no, i don't think there is way how host can know what is hosted app doing "inside" .. i think only way is to place "dummy" clips in NS sequencer aligned with audio clops inside MultiTrack AU

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@audio_DT said:
    Is there any indication on the NS2 timeline of when audio hosted in the app is plying or not playing?

No, but apart from that, it works very well with NS2. The fact that it can follow the timeline, and even the loop points is really cool.

I’ll probably just create empty names clips to keep track of places where audio is playing if needed.

• Doesn’t the mark one ear tell you if audio pasted in the app is playing or not ?

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@BiancaNeve said:
    Doesn’t the mark one ear tell you if audio pasted in the app is playing or not ?

I try to avoid listening to my stuff. Too discouraging.

• @wim said:

and even the loop points is really cool.

Oooo this is cool .. didn't noticed that when i enable "remote" button it follows ven song loop .. 4pockets did really good job...

• The benefits of host transport bar interaction with its AUs, sounds very useful indeed. Am I right in guessing that an IAA midi sequencer app would not have this tight transport bar integration, following song position, when placing the multitrack AU in AUM?

• Well, let’s see if we can engage Mr. 4pockets to whip-up an Auv3 midi recorder......... by next week.. 🙏

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@bleep said:
    The benefits of host transport bar interaction with its AUs, sounds very useful indeed. Am I right in guessing that an IAA midi sequencer app would not have this tight transport bar integration, following song position, when placing the multitrack AU in AUM?

According to the in-app help file, AUM doesn’t support the loop feature. AudioBus doesn’t either, as far as I can tell. In AUM, pause and stop work. In AudioBus there is only stop, no pause. Stop returns to the beginning of the timeline.

• So, just to confirm, can you now record audio in NS2 using this app, or in that DAW alone is it currently limited to playing audio files?

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@dendy said:

@wim said:

and even the loop points is really cool.

Oooo this is cool .. didn't noticed that when i enable "remote" button it follows ven song loop .. 4pockets did really good job...

With Remote enabled, NS2’s record button will start and stop recording in the recorder. Only Host Sync needs to be engaged for timeline following and host looping to be followed.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

Time stretching is sssssssllllllllloooooooooooooowwwwwwww........

[edit] but quality is pretty decent.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    So, just to confirm, can you now record audio in NS2 using this app, or in that DAW alone is it currently limited to playing audio files?

You can record if you place Multitrack as insert FX - then it records audio in that channel .. you can enable / disable montoring, if monitoring is enabled, is also passes audio down to the plugins chain.

However, at them moment it doesn't record audio from external input when it is used as AU Instrument.

Workaround is to record it using Obsidian sample recorder, save it. Then you can go into multiTrack, and load that recorded wav - because multitrack can access Apple Files app, you can browse directly to Nanostudio folder and locate audio recorded by Obsidian ;)

• edited October 2019

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    So, just to confirm, can you now record audio in NS2 using this app, or in that DAW alone is it currently limited to playing audio files?

if i understand, at this time you can only record sound from inside NS2, such as an obsidian synth. You can’t record audio from an external source, such as a microphone or Audiobus. Am I right, guys?

• @wim said:

@audio_DT said:

No, but apart from that, it works very well with NS2. The fact that it can follow the timeline, and even the loop points is really cool.

I’ll probably just create empty names clips to keep track of places where audio is playing if needed.

Thanks @dendy and @wim. I’ll probably grab it later. @BiancaNeve, sorry to be dumb (!), but what do you mean by ‘Mark one ear’?

• edited October 2019

@Shabudua said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

if i understand, at this time you can only record sound from inside NS2, such as an obsidian synth. You can’t record audio from an external source, such as a microphone or Audiobus. Am I right, guys?

Not directly inside MultiTrack but using this little workaround you can get recorded external audio from HW input or audiobus into MultiTrack ;)

You can record audio from input using Obsidian or Slate sampler. Nanostudio has pretty decent recorder, you can limit recording by input signal threshold and you can record in sync with playing sequencer. After you record audio using Obsidian or Slate, you just save it. They you go into MultiTrack, and you use "Import" from Apple Files - you can directly browse Nanostudio Library folder and directly load audio sampled in Nanostudio into MultiTrack ...

• What’s about this „loop feature does not work inside AUM“ thing?

• @dendy said:
    cons
    * because nanostudio at the moment doesn't route audio from input (neither physical input nor audiobus input) into AU instrument, you cannot record external audio directly. We need discuss this with Matt, NS needs to be updated to make this possible

That's a shame as it's a really big limitation. I understand there are workarounds using Slate or Obsidian, but they're far from ideal. My main use for this would be to record scratch vocals and/or guitar parts into NS2, and being able to do so directly with the 4pockets recorder would be really great. Please please please convince Matt to release a hotfix that allows audio to be routed into AUs! That would make the wait for audio tracks a lot easier to bear.

• @richardyot said:
    Please please please convince Matt to release a hotfix that allows audio to be routed into AUs! That would make the wait for audio tracks a lot easier to bear.

Be sure i already opened this discussion :-)

• @dendy said:

@richardyot said:
    Please please please convince Matt to release a hotfix that allows audio to be routed into AUs! That would make the wait for audio tracks a lot easier to bear.

👍

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@david_2017 said:
    What’s about this „loop feature does not work inside AUM“ thing?

AUM doesn’t have loop points at the host level, so there’s no loop information to communicate to the plugin. When set to sync with the host, the loop points inside the app don’t do anything. So, you’re stuck with having to duplicate the audio for the duration you want it to loop.

Kinda sucks, really. There should be an option to sync start/stop and tempo, while keeping the internal loop points active.

I didn’t explain that very well. In short, it is a big limitation in AUM and AudioBus, and really needs to be improved in the recorder.

• Looks good, not read all of the discussion about multitrack recording but it should be possible with multi-AU port technology so I hope it gets that support, then you'll only need one master instance for an 8 track and load the extra input ports on different tracks.

• Thanks for clarifying @wim makes sense now 👍🏼

• @audio_DT said:

@wim said:

@audio_DT said:

Thanks @dendy and @wim. I’ll probably grab it later. @BiancaNeve, sorry to be dumb (!), but what do you mean by ‘Mark one ear’?

Mark one ear - biological device for converting airwave patterns into sound. Cf Mark one eyeball

• @BiancaNeve said:

@audio_DT said:

@wim said:

@audio_DT said:

Mark one ear - biological device for converting airwave patterns into sound. Cf Mark one eyeball

Ah, you’re taking the p***, I see 🙂

• @dendy said:

@richardyot said:

Can you record audio from apps straight into it in NS2, though, e.g. sample a cpu-intensive moog bassline?

• Hopefully @j_liljedahl considers adding support in AUM for multi-channel in/out audiounit routing, and some timeline concept with loop markers for the transport.

• No App Store link in this thread that I can see. For shaaaaame!

• edited October 2019

@audio_DT said:

@dendy said:

@richardyot said:

Can you record audio from apps straight into it in NS2, though, e.g. sample a cpu-intensive moog bassline?

in case you're talking about Moog AU loaded inside NS then yes, you just put MultiTrack as insert FX on channel with Moog, and you can record it ..

• @RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Telefunky said:

Not a biggie, but it’d have been nice to have been able to remix a multi channel session after recording, as I invariably make cock-ups while jamming.

Where this may not bring the multi-track recording, it does bring the multi-track editing......AUM already does multi-track recording (ARM each individual track). Pull those recorded files from audioshare into this using files app after your initial recording pass, then you can do your overdubs and fixes to errors.

Yeah, I never use that though as it's a faff, would have been nice to have the tracks all laid out ready.

If you are recording a jam in AUM....then the recordings you do in AUM will be the full length tracks (not loops that need arranging), so when pulled in would be all ready for your edits ?

Yeah, just having to set them up in a new thing adds another step, lazy I know, but it disturbs the flow. Might be worth bearing in mind now this is out though, as I can drag them into the new app (split screen) and keep everything going in AUM.

I know what you mean....I'm the same, have a flow going, laying down good stuff, then have to stop for any reason....making a brew....rolling a fag...export/import to another app......and the flow is gone....I mean, I don't even like having to open menu's when I'm in the flow hahaha

The jam sessions here are like mystical rituals. I'll be stripped to the waist, painted in tribal geometric shapes channeling Eris, the Greek goddess of strife and discord, and any interruption of the flow could be fatal.

@bleep said:
    Actually, you can probably add an instance to all channels to record single tracks, then open an instance and use the mentioned filter button to only see files/recordings relevant for your song. I'm sure 4pockets can include a gesture, button or something to add all those as tracks in one go.

Yeah cool.

OMMFG!! it’s like a tiny Auria that can be hosted inside Auria... the world has finally turned inside out! i thought it would be Trump that heralded the Great Inversion.. turns out it’s Paul the MusicMan!!
    quick McMonz get yr semi-naked discordian flow on, preferably slap bang in the savoury manifold of a Froxfield Pentagram. Spare our wormian bones from Yog-Sothoth’s sepulchral spit roast!
    if they make an app that can host itself inside itself an infinite number of times we might be able to escape down that rabbithole?

A 13 disc evaluation of the nine psycho-geographical Fibonacci spirals between Cascob (abracadabra), and the imaginary Kington pyramid you say?

Great idea!

I think this app could be just the thing to do it.....usual question of how it performs on a woad-encrusted Iron-age Air 2 though!