Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

It was 4Pockets! MultiTrack Recorder! Video and App Store Links in OP

Comments

• @MonzoPro said:
    Can’t see if you can record multiple channels at once onto separate tracks, or if all channels are mixed onto a single track.

you can: in the video he records one track (fed by an AUM bus) a time. The bus may contain a submix (from AUM). It's mentioned that 'setup is identical to the previous action...' when he switches to the 2nd recording channel.
    Arm/record of multiple tracks would have certainly be shown, if that was possible.
    Probably one can insert another instance into another AUM channel/bus, but that's rather messy imho.

• does this also act as a host in AB? And is there a way to airdrop projects to the iPhone version?
    And can we get MIDI tracks squeezed in too please???

• edited October 2019

@Telefunky said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Can’t see if you can record multiple channels at once onto separate tracks, or if all channels are mixed onto a single track.

you can: in the video he records one track (fed by an AUM bus) a time. The bus may contain a submix (from AUM). It's mentioned that 'setup is identical to the previous action...' when he switches to the 2nd recording channel.
    Arm/record of multiple tracks would have certainly be shown, if that was possible.
    Probably one can insert another instance into another AUM channel/bus, but that's rather messy imho.

Yeah I can see the single track recording, just wondered about multiple channels, though I guess that would need some fairly serious coding collaboration with the host.

Not a biggie, but it’d have been nice to have been able to remix a multi channel session after recording, as I invariably make cock-ups while jamming.

Very interested in this though, as being able to overdub, and more importantly edit the audio afterwards, fits right into my iOS current DAWless workflow.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Telefunky said:

Not a biggie, but it’d have been nice to have been able to remix a multi channel session after recording, as I invariably make cock-ups while jamming.

Where this may not bring the multi-track recording, it does bring the multi-track editing......AUM already does multi-track recording (ARM each individual track). Pull those recorded files from audioshare into this using files app after your initial recording pass, then you can do your overdubs and fixes to errors.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Telefunky said:

Where this may not bring the multi-track recording, it does bring the multi-track editing......AUM already does multi-track recording (ARM each individual track). Pull those recorded files from audioshare into this using files app after your initial recording pass, then you can do your overdubs and fixes to errors.

This is beneficial over trying to do this in a DAW after the event as all your original AUM tracks and routings and setup are all there ready for recording those overdubs and fixes.

• @Shabudua said:

@ZenLizard said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@hansjbs said:
    That will help NS2 users

Maybe - he seems a bit cagey about what it will or won’t work with.

DAWs that support external interface input... like Cubasis, GarageBand, Auria, ZenBeats, BM3 which all do. I don’t think NS2 does yet. This seems like it is really for ’DAWless’ hosts like AUM and ApeMatrix, and AudioBus(?). The ”regular” DAWs have audio tracks already, except for NS2, and since it doesn’t have audio input selection, I don’t think it will work. I’ll be happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

NS2 does have input selection, but only when recording into Slate or Obsidian. I have no idea if this will meet the needs of this plugin. Would be great if it does.

Oh yeah that’s right. I don’t need or desire to do that ever so I forgot.

!Whichever one of you buys this first, please test in NS2 and let us know! 😁

• @AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Telefunky said:

Yeah, I never use that though as it's a faff, would have been nice to have the tracks all laid out ready.

Still good though, as I do all my jamming in AUM, and then export everything to the desktop and edit them there. So being able to record, overdub and edit via an AU is very welcome, and will save a bit of time.

• i’m very excited to have this in aum. but also very curious how it would be setup and run in ns2.
    I feel like mobile music making has taken some big jumps forward in the last month or so. very exciting times.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Telefunky said:

Yeah, I never use that though as it's a faff, would have been nice to have the tracks all laid out ready.

If you are recording a jam in AUM....then the recordings you do in AUM will be the full length tracks (not loops that need arranging), so when pulled in would be all ready for your edits ?

Still good though, as I do all my jamming in AUM, and then export everything to the desktop and edit them there. So being able to record, overdub and edit via an AU is very welcome, and will save a bit of time.

• Could be good for hardware recordings to create seperate channels for effects.

• edited October 2019

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Telefunky said:

If you are recording a jam in AUM....then the recordings you do in AUM will be the full length tracks (not loops that need arranging), so when pulled in would be all ready for your edits ?

Yeah, just having to set them up in a new thing adds another step, lazy I know, but it disturbs the flow. Might be worth bearing in mind now this is out though, as I can drag them into the new app (split screen) and keep everything going in AUM.

Interesting to see the price.

• How much is it guys? Cant see it on uk store yet.

• Does the app maintain sync with the host clock? I am wondering if it is hosted in AB and AB is following a Clock (such as Xequence's) if it will maintain sync.

• The only way this would ever be able to multi-track record would be if you added one instance in the fx slot of each of your channels, and then this recorder AU would share data among the instances. I guess that is how the new visual mixer AU is working, isn't it?

I wouldn't see that as a better option, better to do what @AndyPlankton has suggested.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Telefunky said:

Yeah, just having to set them up in a new thing adds another step, lazy I know, but it disturbs the flow. Might be worth bearing in mind now this is out though, as I can drag them into the new app (split screen) and keep everything going in AUM.

I know what you mean....I'm the same, have a flow going, laying down good stuff, then have to stop for any reason....making a brew....rolling a fag...export/import to another app......and the flow is gone....I mean, I don't even like having to open menu's when I'm in the flow hahaha

• Actually, you can probably add an instance to all channels to record single tracks, then open an instance and use the mentioned filter button to only see files/recordings relevant for your song. I'm sure 4pockets can include a gesture, button or something to add all those as tracks in one go.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Telefunky said:

I know what you mean....I'm the same, have a flow going, laying down good stuff, then have to stop for any reason....making a brew....rolling a fag...export/import to another app......and the flow is gone....I mean, I don't even like having to open menu's when I'm in the flow hahaha

The jam sessions here are like mystical rituals. I'll be stripped to the waist, painted in tribal geometric shapes channeling Eris, the Greek goddess of strife and discord, and any interruption of the flow could be fatal.

@bleep said:
    Actually, you can probably add an instance to all channels to record single tracks, then open an instance and use the mentioned filter button to only see files/recordings relevant for your song. I'm sure 4pockets can include a gesture, button or something to add all those as tracks in one go.

Yeah cool.

• So if it a AU if you add more than one instance how does it display tracks between AU instances does it mirror itself ?

• edited October 2019

@Jumpercollins said:
    So if it a AU if you add more than one instance how does it display tracks between AU instances does it mirror itself ?

From the vid it looks like you get 8 tracks in each instance, he said you can get more tracks by adding more instances....what wasn't clear is how the audio pool works across instances...there is a clean that removes audio not used in your song from the audiopool....so I suspect that each instance has it's own pool, and it is in fact not shared ?

• I’m wondering what the track editing options are- like cutting, moving and glueing etc.

• I can see why recording multi tracks won't work. Given the focus on recording one track at a time, wouldn't it be optimal to set a loop length and several tracks and have the recorder dump loops into successive tracks so you can audition them one by one? I get that you could record one long take and then carve it up into several tracks but the above would be faster and easier for auditioning loops.

• If it is just one track at a time, visual mixer will really come in handy with this for the muting

• This should be a great solution to ‘freezing’ tracks in AUM. I wonder if the audio is saved into the au instance which will transfer between devices with the AUM project.

• edited October 2019

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I can see why recording multi tracks won't work. Given the focus on recording one track at a time, wouldn't it be optimal to set a loop length and several tracks and have the recorder dump loops into successive tracks so you can audition them one by one? I get that you could record one long take and then carve it up into several tracks but the above would be faster and easier for auditioning loops.

Yes to this.....if you are recording onto the first track, once it loops, start recording into the second track.......Multiple takes !!!

• Exciting,..😎

What about Time-Stretch.. and while we are at it, Key-Detection and Transpose?

@White said:
    Wow 😊 and if he made a similar "Multitrack Midi Recorder" with a pianoroll editor, then I would be very happy 😊

Yep..

• edited October 2019

Quick off topic but audio related. From Living Memory Software.

Looks like the makers of Layr synth are bringing out a new audio editor or something. Doesn’t say if it’s AU or AB3 or IAA.

They quote on FB.

It's been quiet around here but here's some news about what's coming very soon!

Auditor.

A fast, modern and efficient audio editor for the iPad touch screen designed for rapidly chopping, blending and editing audio files with as little fuss as possible, making full use of the latest advances in the iOS filing system.

• Simple import and export directly to and from any location in the Files environment.

• Macro based multi-file batch format and rate conversion
    direct from the file browser.

• Import and export to and from many file formats.

• Single file and region based multi-layer editing modes with mixable bouncing to new layers.

• Tools for creating crossfade loops and (planned for
    near future updates) tools for slicing, stretching and analysis.

• Full multi-step undo.

• Transport controls for quick locating, scrolling and zooming.

• Customizable Tool Bar and Transport Bar, (choose which editing functions you want available on buttons).

• A simple record function with support for hardware inputs from attached audio interfaces.

• Light and dark colour themes.

• @Jumpercollins said:

Looks like the makers of Layr synth are bringing out a new audio editor or something. Doesn’t say if it’s AU or AB3 or IAA.

They quote on FB.

Auditor.

A fast, modern and efficient audio editor for the iPad touch screen designed for rapidly chopping, blending and editing audio files with as little fuss as possible, making full use of the latest advances in the iOS filing system.

• Simple import and export directly to and from any location in the Files environment.

• Single file and region based multi-layer editing modes with mixable bouncing to new layers.

• Full multi-step undo.

• Customizable Tool Bar and Transport Bar, (choose which editing functions you want available on buttons).

• A simple record function with support for hardware inputs from attached audio interfaces.

This should be it’s own thread really

• edited October 2019

@gregsmith said:

@Jumpercollins said:

They quote on FB.

Auditor.

• Full multi-step undo.

This should be it’s own thread really

@gregsmith fair point. Our let someone else start the thread !
    Could be early competition! to MT Audio Recorder just saying.