Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dexed and KQ Dixie for iOS - Number of patches = Patch hell - Make a limited collection?

I dig KQ Dixie and Dexed but does anybody have a thought about number of patches that are available.

The article at Synthtopia highlights that it has 640,000 patches built in. I greatly respect the Dev and the work into Dexed. I find having that many patches just insane and spend more time going through patches than actually creating.

For the likes of KQ Dixie and Dexed do you think we could collectively make a limited collection and categorise them? Say maybe some of the original roms and then the best of the best of the best.

As I stated earlier this is not to diss anyone but one of the reasons I don't use Dexed as much is the bonkers numbers of presets. Same on pc. Synth one on pc has a librarian which is helpful.

Original article

https://sonicstate.com/news/2019/07/31/dexed-for-ios-updates-adds-640000-patches/

Cheers

ChimpBoy

Comments

• When I bought a DX-7 editor/librarian for PC it came with a collection of about 20k patches in sysex files grouped in the usual banks of 32 (most, but not all fully filled).
    90% of the content is effectively kind of duplicate - patches are not exactly identical, but minor variations of the same theme.

Some archives included the name of the patch maker, which helped to reduce candidates for a first check: if 3 or 4 patches of someone were interesting, usually the rest was a least worth auditioning.
    The editor made it easy to copy from the source bank into a personal favourite list, but I didn't perform this systematically.
    I just grabbed a few dozen and went on tweaking them, which was easy with full graphic and live sound support.

The other approach was driven by individual patch name: if the name was unusual, the patch maker probably had some deeper intention than 'bell24' would suggest.
    But this can of course be misleading, so from time to time I just stepped through all in a bank - there's a lot (as mentioned) to discover.

The hard part of selection is in the synth's nature: it depends a lot of how the sound is intended to be used, in particular how sounds may evolve during hold notes.
    It's a difficult task to grab the 'best of the best' at least ;)

• @Telefunky Absolutely agree with everything you said here. To an extent you are looking at 30 plus years of patch creation, which explains the insane number of patches.

I feel this website might be a good place to start

https://patches.fm/#/

I'll have a dig round and see what I can put together. If anyone want to help by all means ping me 👍🏻

The Chimp in in the tree, picking off the fruity patches 😊

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

The best streamlined patch database is already available ... it’s called AudioKit FM Player 2. :D

But I jest (sort of). It’s very true that the enormity and mass duplications of the collections out there is overwhelming. Every so often I go patch hunting when I don’t feel like doing anything else. Over time I’ve started to build up a few banks (Bass, Pianos, Leads, etc.) of patches I personally like, but I who knows if anyone else has the same tastes?

Most of my banks are pretty sparse (a half dozen pianos, basses, a few strings, some plucks) so not really in any kind of shape that they’d be of much use to anyone else, I think. Maybe I’ll do a best-of and post it here in case its of any use to anyone.

• @wim Yes FM Player 2 is a thing of beauty. Commendation to the Audio kit team 👍🏻 I think the quest never ends really 🤣

I'm working on a 'Keeper' set of patches at the moment. It'll have a mix of what I consider to nice and useful patches. Then I might do a synth specific set of patches a la Jupiter, Juno etc.

Please feel free to share your creations here @wim I'm always eager to try out others patches👍🏻