Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Welcome to VCV Rack developer, Andrew Belt

edited October 2019 in Other

I just wanted to welcome @Vortico to the forum in a new thread unrelated to the iOS app discussion going on at the moment.

@Vortico I happen to think that VCV Rack is one of the most important creative software developments of recent years and I want to thank you for your idea and efforts. It has completely removed the cost barrier to entry for modular synthesis and has sparked a community of innovation that does not look like slowing down. Just amazing.

Now this being an iOS forum, we would of course love to see a full iOS port one day with synced accounts and purchased plugins etc. I’m sure it will happen in due time.

I am excited for the future of VCV Rack!

Comments

• Hello :) Thanks for the introduction @gusgranite

• If anyone is interested in trying out VCV Rack on the desktop then here’s the links:

Software downloads and plugins: https://vcvrack.com
    VCV Rack community forum: https://community.vcvrack.com
    VCV Rack Official User Group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vcvrack
    VCV Rack Discord Chat: https://discord.gg/er6Ub8m

• THERE’S A VCV DISCORD?!?!

• Hoooh boy. I am really hoping that this isn’t going to turn into a shitshow.

Welcome Andrew! VCV Rack is an amazing accomplishment and it is great to have you here on the forum.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Hoooh boy. I am really hoping that this isn’t going to turn into a shitshow.

That's partly on us, the 'spectators' with permission to comment. I think we all should work to keep comments respectable and/or to a minimum to allow the persons needing to reach an agreement without the addition of unnecessary applauding/booing/heckling/etc. that would make for "a shitshow."

• @glasstapper I like your username 👍

• @gusgranite said:
    @glasstapper I like your username 👍

Thank you.

• @DCJ said:
    THERE’S A VCV DISCORD?!?!

The complete list of communities is at https://vcvrack.com/manual/Communities.html.

• Why you can answers questions here and Vitaly doesn’t in the Vcvrack forum?

• edited October 2019

@OnfraySin said:
    Why you can answers questions here and Vitaly doesn’t in the Vcvrack forum?

Because Michael allows it...

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:

@OnfraySin said:

yes, probably Michael will take the higher ground.. but I think it’s extremely important to keep in mind the ‘real world’ behaviour of mr Belt.. and all that it implies. it isn’t actually fair, moral or in any way reasonable for him to censor and ban on his own forum and then spark up this ‘grey area’ argument on this platform.. whatever the in’s and out’s of the debate.
    first things first..

• Welcome Andrew!
    Hope you can learn here that there are other ways of doing things instead of censor or ban the voices you don’t want to be heard.

• @RockySmalls said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

@OnfraySin said:

yes, probably Michael will take the higher ground.. but I think it’s extremely important to keep in mind the ‘real world’ behaviour of mr Belt.. and all that it implies. it isn’t actually fair, moral or in any way reasonable for him to censor and ban on his own forum and then spark up this ‘grey area’ argument on this platform.. whatever the in’s and out’s of the debate.
    first things first..

+1 Well said.

• Welcome @Vortico

This is the only internet forum I’ve ever come across where almost everyone is mature and sensible, and threads don’t descend into petty arguments or ego wars. Please help us keep it this way.

• cats & pigeons 😂🤣😂

• @Paul16 said:
    cats & pigeons 😂🤣😂

😂

• Well I know there is this spat going on but, for me, this thread was a chance to recognize the wonder that is VCV Rack. I am incredibly grateful for its creation.

• @TheOriginalPaulB I have looked into the Softube and Cherry Modular and they look great as well. However, they are a significant investment upfront and they do not seem to have built the community around them in the same way that VCV Rack has. It’s quite something.

• @Vortico thank you for the work you and the other developers did on VCV Rack. I do not use a PC for music creation so my experience with it is indirect and second hand via the miRack app.

I read your post about your concerns with miRack and what it would take to bring a VCV Rack app to iOS. I hope you don’t expect to recoup the investment it would take ($20-60k) to develop it for iOS as it’s my understanding the economics of the App Store won’t support it.

If VCV Rack should ever arrive on iOS, I’m confident people would purchase it, including miRack users.

While I’m sure it’s frustrating to see someone use the older code with an open source license with its more permissive commercial license bring an app to iOS when you would have preferred to use the current version’s license type yourself as resources permitted. If you’re truly committed to bringing VCV Rack to iOS, I don’t think it will hurt you and may end up whetting the appetite of more users.

Despite the conflict between yourself and the miRack developer, I’m happy to be able to use miRack now and would purchase a VCV Rack app should it ever be released.

• I forgot to highlight the Patch Storage link. Lovely stuff.

https://patchstorage.com/platform/vcv-rack/

• @InfoCheck
    If VCV Rack should ever arrive on iOS, I’m confident people would purchase it, including miRack users.

Not me, there is no chance i ever buy it after those excesses last few days.

• edited October 2019

@InfoCheck said:
    @Vortico thank you for the work you and the other developers did on VCV Rack. I do not use a PC for music creation so my experience with it is indirect and second hand via the miRack app.

I read your post about your concerns with miRack and what it would take to bring a VCV Rack app to iOS. I hope you don’t expect to recoup the investment it would take ($20-60k) to develop it for iOS as it’s my understanding the economics of the App Store won’t support it.

While I’m sure it’s frustrating to see someone use the older code with an open source license with its more permissive commercial license bring an app to iOS when you would have preferred to use the current version’s license type yourself as resources permitted. If you’re truly committed to bringing VCV Rack to iOS, I don’t think it will hurt you and may end up whetting the appetite of more users.

Despite the conflict between yourself and the miRack developer, I’m happy to be able to use miRack now and would purchase a VCV Rack app should it ever be released.

+1 im excited by mirack but i also value what you have achieved.

• @dendy said:

@InfoCheck

Not me, there is no chance i ever buy it after those excesses last few days.

I posted this before reading what @Vortico posted in the miRack thread where he seemed to be very aggressive and defensive especially if he’s banned the miRack developer from the VCV Rack website.

Hopefully more reasonable behavior will prevail. I doubt we’ll see an official VCV Rack app on iOS any time soon.

• @Vortico Welcome to the forum!

• @gusgranite said:
    @TheOriginalPaulB I have looked into the Softube and Cherry Modular and they look great as well. However, they are a significant investment upfront and they do not seem to have built the community around them in the same way that VCV Rack has. It’s quite something.

You’ll still have to invest a fair bit in VCV if you want the full set of modules...

@gusgranite said:
    @TheOriginalPaulB I have looked into the Softube and Cherry Modular and they look great as well. However, they are a significant investment upfront and they do not seem to have built the community around them in the same way that VCV Rack has. It’s quite something.

You’ll still have to invest a fair bit in VCV if you want the full set of modules...

You can if you want to but they are very much optional extras. I have only needed to pick up a handful of paid modules from VCV and Vult and I feel like I have a lifetime of sounds at my disposal with new ones being added every month.

• @gusgranite said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

@gusgranite said:

You can if you want to but they are very much optional extras. I have only needed to pick up a handful of paid modules from VCV and Vult and I feel like I have a lifetime of sounds at my disposal with new ones being added every month.

New lifetimes? No wonder you’re a fan...

• edited October 2019

There is something very disingenuous about coming over to this forum under the guise of having to defend yourself because of a blog post when you banned @mifki from the VCV forums. Why should we give you a platform when you censor yours?

That said, it’s really unfortunate to see the back and forth.

@gusgranite said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

@gusgranite said:

New lifetimes? No wonder you’re a fan...

I have many lifetimes and many lifeforms! 👽 👾

• I thought this thread was supposed to not turn into a VCV vs. miRack thread, but now I have to answer two of the questions here:

1) Vitaly and discussions about miRack are banned from all VCV communities because every thread will result in endless arguments that will lead to nowhere. This drama is about the miRack software, not the VCV software, so these discussions are off-topic on VCV forums.
    2) I am posting here solely because Vitaly released cherry-picked private emails, requiring me to defend my side of the story.

If anyone wants a takeaway from me, it's simple. Vitaly is profiting off someone else's hard work without releasing source code per my wishes, and he demonstrates no respect to a contractor that I work with (Grayscale). That's it, you can go home now guys.

I'm out of this thread. I expected non-miRack questions to be asked here, and I'm not interested in responding to these in two threads.