Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

So, I grabbed a Sensel Morph...

Comments

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@wim said:
    So, I have it now, and for the most part am happy with it. I’m gong to list the things I was disappointed in only. Not to trash the product, but to help set expectations for others considering it in case any of these are show-stoppers. Also, I’m not complaining ... almost all of these things were assumptions about things the Morph would do that I could have researched better.

Again, I’m happy with the purchase overall, and am enjoying the controller. I think it was a good purchase.

1. I got the QWERTY keyboard overlay because there was a 50% discount if I bought two overlays. It’s pretty useless for iOS. It will only work with the onscreen keyboard showing at the same time. Sensel says it has to be this way because of overlay switching. It also doesn’t support iOS specific function keys. I have full fledged Bluetooth keyboards that cost less than the discounted overlay, and they work perfectly. Waste of money. Not great even on a PC or Mac either.
    2. A PC or MAC is essential. There’s no iOS app for doing even the simplest changes.
    3. Under Windows 7 (missed the free update period and too cheap to pay for Win 10), the Morph disconnects and shuts down every time you send any changes to the Morph. It then won’t reconnect until you reboot. I found one workaround. It will reconnect if you first establish a Bluetooth MIDI connection with iOS, then while this connection is still active, plug the USB into the PC. Works about 9 times out of 10, but is a royal pain in the butt. (OK, my bad for being on an old ... though supported by Sensel ... OS. But still.)
    4. There’s no way to change the midi channel onboard. They have button functions you can add to customize just about everything, but not the global midi channel. Want to switch channels? You need to hook up to a PC and edit a map for every single control you want to change the channel for. Bleh.
    5. Maps default to sending after-touch and pitch bend on the notes. I was surprised that my synths were playing out of tune until I discovered this. Setting pitch bend to default to off fixed this. The aftertouch needed to be disabled too as it was flooding a couple of synths like Pure Synth Platinum to the point of crashing them.
    6. Badly needs some velocity curve options. You can set the “threshold” for how hard you need to press to get a recognized touch, but this doesn’t affect the range of the velocity that I can tell. I really have to hit a note hard to get full velocity.
    7. It seems like I get random high-velocity notes occasionally, when I didn’t hit the key hard at all.
    8. Latency seems higher than my NanoKEY Studio. I could be wrong on that.
    9. The Innovator’s overlay is great. I’ve had a great time designing a couple of custom controllers that are really effective. My only beef is to change between my custom layouts, I have to hook up to the PC and download each design to the MORPH. There’s no way for it to recognize which design I want to use.

Again ... I’m happy with the purchase. Just pointing out the above in case they’re crucial to anyone.

Two more to add...

1. MPE over Bluetooth isn't practical. Too much data, I guess. I was having stuck notes and crashed apps whenever I enable it. Then I tried switching to USB and it works perfectly. I can live with that. Bluetooth is what it is.
    2. The latest firmware includes an option to lower the USB charging speed so that you can use the Morph over a USB connection on idevices without powering the CCK. This is great. The downside is very, very slow charging, but I can live with that.
  • edited January 2020

good info, @wim. Just a question: do you play fast and with lots of notes when you get stuck notes in MPE synths using Bluetooth? I use mostly USB, but when I used Bluetooth I never had stuck notes. But I'm not a good keyboard player, I play only few notes and in a slow tempo.

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

@Phil999 said:
    good info, @wim. Just a question: do you play fast and with lots of notes when you get stuck notes in MPE synths using Bluetooth? I use mostly USB, but when I used Bluetooth I never had stuck notes. But I'm not a good keyboard player, I play only few notes and in a slow tempo.

Not particularly fast, and the stuck notes seem to be random, not so much related to speed. I have a light touch though, so it's possible I'm triggering double notes or something. It's more noticeable with certain synths like Bassalicious, Pure Synth Platinum, and Troublemaker. Those are all apps that I use to test my Mozaic scripts for stucknotedness, since they're more prone to it.

Anyway, I just stay away from the MPE over Bluetooth and things are working out a lot better.

I made a Geoshred style layout that's pretty cool. Definitely thinking about getting that one 3d printed since I'm a guitar player.

• Just an FYI ... MMC (transport controls) don’t get sent over Bluetooth, only over USB. I’ve posted a request to fix this on the Sensel forum. If anyone feels like chiming in on that issue over there, feel free.

• Hello @wim

Any updates about the Morph, still use it? Is there still firmware development for it?

• @Pierre118 said:
    Hello @wim

Any updates about the Morph, still use it? Is there still firmware development for it?

I haven't used it much of late, but only because of a personal shift in focus, not because of any issues with the Morph. There's still firmware development going on, but it seems slowly at best. As of last month, they have been trying to bring on a software/firmware developer for some time now.

They're active on their forum, listening to people, and seem positive about the future, but haven't announced any upcoming releases. Some of the natives are getting restless though, you can tell.

• I hope so, I just bought 2 of them, and several overlays !!!!

• I hope you're a patient person @jazzmess. B)
    The thing is great as-is, but there's plenty of room for improvement. It seems as if it will come - but slowly.

• @wim said:
    I hope you're a patient person @jazzmess. B)
    The thing is great as-is, but there's plenty of room for improvement. It seems as if it will come - but slowly.

Care to mention some of the 'needed' improvement?

• I didn't say "needed", but some things I'd love to see:

• Ability to change presets in all overlays - currently only available in the Thunder overlay.
    • A function to change the output channel of the Morph live.
    • Velocity curve adjustment.
    • If you are holding down a note and change the octave range, the note is cut off. It should hold the note until you release it.
    • Problems with disconnection from the Sensel app when you download to the device from some Windows PCs. Minor issue affecting only some Windows 7 PCs, and with a workaround, so not a priority.
    • iOS version of the Sensel app or at least a way to load different overlay maps without having to hook up to a PC.
    • MPE craps out over Bluetooth.
    • Ability to set "low latency" mode on other apps than the Drum Pads overlay.
    • QWERTY keyboard is next to useless with iOS as it requires the on-screen keyboard to be present while typing.

No show stoppers. IMO.

• Yes you’re right. I can live with these.
    Bought 2 morphs, 2 buchlas, 2 pianos, and 2 innovator, 1 music production. A lot to play with !!!! If I don’t like the feel I’ll send it back. Really looking forward the buchla that thing is ace (especially one shop on amazon sold them at the standard price - around 40€)...all this for the cost of a Roli music maker pack. I think it is great value.

• edited June 2020

@wim said:
    I didn't say "needed", but some things I'd love to see:

• Ability to change presets in all overlays - currently only available in the Thunder overlay.
    • A function to change the output channel of the Morph live.
    • Velocity curve adjustment.
    • If you are holding down a note and change the octave range, the note is cut off. It should hold the note until you release it.
    • Problems with disconnection from the Sensel app when you download to the device from some Windows PCs. Minor issue affecting only some Windows 7 PCs, and with a workaround, so not a priority.
    • iOS version of the Sensel app or at least a way to load different overlay maps without having to hook up to a PC.
    • MPE craps out over Bluetooth.
    • Ability to set "low latency" mode on other apps than the Drum Pads overlay.
    • QWERTY keyboard is next to useless with iOS as it requires the on-screen keyboard to be present while typing.

No show stoppers. IMO.

That's why I wrote 'needed' in quotes :)

Thanks for the update!

• That’s too bad there is not a proper place like patch storage to share custom layouts. Anyway, really looking forward !!!!

• edited June 2020

@jazzmess said:
    Yes you’re right. I can live with these.
    Bought 2 morphs, 2 buchlas, 2 pianos, and 2 innovator, 1 music production. A lot to play with !!!! If I don’t like the feel I’ll send it back. Really looking forward the buchla that thing is ace (especially one shop on amazon sold them at the standard price - around 40€)...all this for the cost of a Roli music maker pack. I think it is great value.

The Buchla overlay's 4th run is about to be shipped to all outlets. Apparently it has more of an ability to stay where it's put. Or it moves less than the other 3 iterations. Thought you might want to know that in case you have that kind of issue with yours.

Interested in the Joué Play but, astoundingly, it doesn't have MPE out of the box. Plus there are some other Pro features that have been clipped from the Play that only really make sense from a "we decided to bring another edition out, because money" perspective, imo.

Anyone here own a Joué?

• Thanks for the reminder, I’ll see how the overlay fares on the sensel, I have the buchlas overlays but still waiting for the morph to ship !! Is there any serial number or reference for buchla overlay ? the Mine has the S1011. I dunno which it belongs to.

Yeah I don’t see any interest in the joue play. It’s just going backwards : you lose the modularity and MPE. Bummer !

• *The third run of Buchla Thunder Overlays has sold out, so we’re tooling up for a fourth! Plus, this will be an improved version, with better grip on the back, so you can slide your fingers are hard as you want without the overlay coming off the Morph. We anticipate it to sell through quickly as well, so don't wait to reserve your own. Estimated wait of 3 weeks.

From here.

• So I grabbed one as well... it just ticks too many boxes as is and came at a good price.
    After reading helpful reviews here (thx @wim and others) and setting my expectations accordingly I can say I'm happy with the purchase.
    Can someone please tell

• How long does it take for the unit to recharge (if possible for each mode - normal/ipad power)?
    • How long will it last (is there a difference with different power modes)?
    • Has anyone tried to connect it through iConnectivity gear? Would be good to be able to access from iPad and PC (for the app) while being powered... not sure if PC would recognise it properly... waiting for it to recharge
  • @ipadbeatmaking said:

And here's my thoughts on it

Who wrote the beat in this video? Tell this person that I like it a lot!

• Some morph inspiration (not my video but I think it's cool):

• @Montreal_Music said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

And here's my thoughts on it

Who wrote the beat in this video? Tell this person that I like it a lot!

That would be me! Thanks a lot 🙏

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    So I grabbed one as well... it just ticks too many boxes as is and came at a good price.
    After reading helpful reviews here (thx @wim and others) and setting my expectations accordingly I can say I'm happy with the purchase.
    Can someone please tell

• How long does it take for the unit to recharge (if possible for each mode - normal/ipad power)?
    • Has anyone tried to connect it through iConnectivity gear? Would be good to be able to access from iPad and PC (for the app) while being powered... not sure if PC would recognise it properly... waiting for it to recharge

I am using the morph plugged into the Mac, with IconnectMidi4+ also connected. Inside Logic the Morph-Midi is easily routed to any ICM-outputport, in my case coming into an iPad. I have not tried connecting the Morph directly to the ICM, though.
    The Morph is the greatest thing!, in my opinion, I have most of the overlays, but use it without one with most pleasure.
    An ios-App for it would be even better.
    Can‘t say anything about charging times, but I also use it up to 5 hours at a time via bluetooth.

• @animal said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    So I grabbed one as well... it just ticks too many boxes as is and came at a good price.
    Can someone please tell

I am using the morph plugged into the Mac, with IconnectMidi4+ also connected. Inside Logic the Morph-Midi is easily routed to any ICM-outputport, in my case coming into an iPad. I have not tried connecting the Morph directly to the ICM, though.
    The Morph is the greatest thing!, in my opinion, I have most of the overlays, but use it without one with most pleasure.
    Can‘t say anything about charging times, but I also use it up to 5 hours at a time via bluetooth.

When you use it without an overlay what function does it serve?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@animal said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    Can someone please tell

When you use it without an overlay what function does it serve?

It will serve Whatever function you assign it in the Sensel app. It can be Drums, a trackpad, or anything else you can imagine. The overlays serve as a touch configuration template for the Sensel and allow you to know where everything is visually. Technically speaking you could do all the same things without an overlay, it’s just a matter of memorizing the layout. I hope this makes sense.

• ...what @ipadbeatmaking said...
    In my case I use it with an (invisible ) mpe-keyboard-type, with the added benefit, of not knowing which note exactly I am hitting (I do experimental a/v projects, instead of „repeatable melodies“).
    But, as has been said, you can set it up anyway you choose, print out a sheet, put it on top of the morph and off you go. It‘s beautiful!

• Yep, I've had the morph for a while now and have played with the PC app to set up various workflows. It's very flexible. I'm always curious about how people use it without overlays because it does require either good memory or willingness to be imprecise. That appeals to me, so I'll try it!

• edited August 2020

@lukesleepwalker This guy is one of the morph wizards. No overlays for him!

• @hypnopad Thanks for sharing that. That dude is a bit of a nut (in a good way!), but he's doing something very cool with the Morph that I hadn't considered. I like the idea of using Y axis for pitch and the X axis for quantization. Which got me to thinking: isn't that pretty much how Gestrument Pro works? (or could work with the correct setup)

• Unfortunately Gestrument Pro is an app I bought that I never dove into properly. Your assessment sounds correct though. I really like the idea of having something in your rig that is imprecise (yet safe) that encourages improvisation.

• Yes, I recall having played with it a bit, setting the CC for the X/Y pad but can't recall now how well it worked. I have a vague recollection of thinking "now I have to figure out how all these features in Gestrument work". Time is my biggest challenge!

• Too many apps. Not enough time. I think a common problem here.