Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

So, I grabbed a Sensel Morph...

Comments

• @audio_DT
    Yes, got you - thanks for your patience! So you’re saying that if I use the NS2 midi map (the 8 knobs, say), I can use that for any instrument I have connected to that in NS2? If so, that would work for me.

If you mean these knobs (viewable in obsidian and in the auv3 mode) then yes, u just need to assign them. If that’s not what u meant I can demo with another auv3 Of your choice on its ‘own’ screen if u tell me which one and how to set it up.

• @jipumarino said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@jipumarino said:

@syrupcore said:

@jipumarino said:

@syrupcore said:
    Nice overview!

Can you switch MIDI channels on the fly? If so, that'd a way to switch instruments in NS.

If you want to use MPE, you need all 16 channels, right?

Think for MPE you need a channel per voice so if you only need 4-voice of polyphony (including release times, etc) you should be able to get away with 4 MIDI channels.

Ah interesting! Do you know if NS2 just works in that case, if the synth AU supports MPE?

I’m gonna take a leap here and say that NS2 won’t support mpe. Neither will BM3. They’ll support unique pitch bending that kinda simulates it when using an mpe capable device but it isn’t actually mpe. Only ones (DAW) I know of are Cubasis, GarageBand, and maybe ZenBeats (formally Stagelight) never used ZenBeats so I can’t verify.

I guess I can just try connecting KB-1 standalone to Volt or one of the Spectrums hosted in NS and see how things go :)

Please keep us updated!

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@audio_DT
    Yes, got you - thanks for your patience! So you’re saying that if I use the NS2 midi map (the 8 knobs, say), I can use that for any instrument I have connected to that in NS2? If so, that would work for me.

If you mean these knobs (viewable in obsidian and in the auv3 mode) then yes, u just need to assign them. If that’s not what u meant I can demo with another auv3 Of your choice on its ‘own’ screen if u tell me which one and how to set it up.

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant, but thanks for the clarification 👍

• @audio_DT said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@audio_DT

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant, but thanks for the clarification 👍

Glad to help

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@jipumarino said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@jipumarino said:

@syrupcore said:

@jipumarino said:

@syrupcore said:
    Nice overview!

Can you switch MIDI channels on the fly? If so, that'd a way to switch instruments in NS.

Think for MPE you need a channel per voice so if you only need 4-voice of polyphony (including release times, etc) you should be able to get away with 4 MIDI channels.

Ah interesting! Do you know if NS2 just works in that case, if the synth AU supports MPE?

I’m gonna take a leap here and say that NS2 won’t support mpe. Neither will BM3. They’ll support unique pitch bending that kinda simulates it when using an mpe capable device but it isn’t actually mpe. Only ones (DAW) I know of are Cubasis, GarageBand, and maybe ZenBeats (formally Stagelight) never used ZenBeats so I can’t verify.

I guess I can just try connecting KB-1 standalone to Volt or one of the Spectrums hosted in NS and see how things go :)

Please keep us updated!

It is as you said: NS doesn't support it

• @jipumarino said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@jipumarino said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@jipumarino said:

@syrupcore said:

@jipumarino said:

@syrupcore said:
    Nice overview!

Please keep us updated!

It is as you said: NS doesn't support it

Hopefully it will in the not to distant future 🙏

• @3sleeves said:
    Nice and succinct review, dig it.

Thanks

The Morph is my favorite controller for keys and drums, currently considering a second musician bundle. With two of them running together I could have 4 octaves of keys or 32 pads and 16 dials...even an orchestral percussion section I can play with sticks!

Please let me know if you go for it! I’ve got to see that set up in action

One thing to note, when using drum sticks on the yellow overlay it’s tricky to control the velocity. There’s definitely some getting used to it, but it’s worth the effort for sure.

Are you using ‘full force’ with drum sticks on it, or do u ‘baby’ it?

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Great video

Thank u!

Not sure on product

Just out of curiousity, What about it don’t u like, and/or would like to see in a controller of this nature?

• Great video. Enjoyed it.

• @ipadbeatmaking I'll definitely let you know if I get a second one, or if I ever finish that custom overlay I mentioned.
    I've used it control NS2 and Group The Loop simultaneously with another wireless controller and had satisfying results (Korg MicroSampler with Yamaha BT-01 MIDI adapter). Set some key bindings in GTL to the Producer overlay, used the Korg for playing synths hosted in NS2.

Regarding the yellow drumming overlay, when I just want to tap out a quick beat I usually turn off the velocity (wavy button) and play as I would on a practice pad or countertop. When I really want to play with dynamics it takes a few minutes to adjust my playing, but essentially it's similar to the force I'd use with sticks on a snare drum in a small room. I've found that playing rolls or flams with the velocity sensitivity enabled is where the inconsistent velocity and hit recognition comes into play. For what it's worth, I always use Vic Firth American Custom SD5 Echo sticks when I play drums, but have found that Regal Tip Nylon Jazz sticks have a better response on the pads (not sure if material or shape is what makes the most difference).
    The most recent firmware handles rapid input better than the firmware that came installed. I also added some rubber block tape to replace the feet (it's adhesive-backed silicon LEGO, adds grip and some give).

The Morph has a very solid build quality. I've dropped mine a couple of times on concrete and hardwood floors, played the hell out of it with sticks, carried it in a backpack with no case, and it's still working just fine...got it in February, definitely put it through its paces and have no major gripes.

• @ipadbeatmaking Ordered a second Morph, should arrive next week!
    Opted for the Music Maker bundle again, but swapped the yellow drum overlay for an Innovator overlay to try some custom layouts with more than just paper. Sensel was very accommodating, gave me a code so it was the same price as the regular bundle. I figure a second drum overlay would get less use than the others, glad I asked beforehand instead of ordering the bundle and an extra overlay.
    I'll post an update once I get the second Morph situated in my setup.

• FYI to anyone interested, last year the Morph and bundles were $100 off for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Looks like the regular prices have dropped since then, so might not be $100 this year, if anything.

• In anticipation of receiving the Innovator overlay I’ve been working on a custom BM3 map for banks of 64 pads. I used the maximum amount of input areas, 96 in total.
    The pads are C0-D#5 with octave up and down buttons too, pitch bend and velocity switches, 12 CC sliders (8 vertical, 4 horizontal), 10 CC knobs, and transport controls (play, stop, rec strobe, rec pause, rew, ff).

I’m gonna make this look prettier, then print it out, then make a map preset in BM3. I’ll share the end result in here, the Sensel file, the graphic, and the BM3 MIDI actions file.
    Hopefully I’ll have it all working smoothly in a few days.

• @3sleeves said:
    In anticipation of receiving the Innovator overlay I’ve been working on a custom BM3 map for banks of 64 pads. I used the maximum amount of input areas, 96 in total.
    The pads are C0-D#5 with octave up and down buttons too, pitch bend and velocity switches, 12 CC sliders (8 vertical, 4 horizontal), 10 CC knobs, and transport controls (play, stop, rec strobe, rec pause, rew, ff).

I’m gonna make this look prettier, then print it out, then make a map preset in BM3. I’ll share the end result in here, the Sensel file, the graphic, and the BM3 MIDI actions file.
    Hopefully I’ll have it all working smoothly in a few days.

Wow. Now that’s innovation!

• Tweaking the graphic overlay in Affinity Designer...

• @3sleeves

Just finished creating this for NS2... so far I'm having a blast with it! This innovator overlay is something special! I need a 3d printer lol, but i guess a piece of paper under the overlay will have to do for now

• Can you guys explain the process of how you’re printing your own mats? Can you send the manufacturer the file and they print it?

• @RJB said:
    Can you guys explain the process of how you’re printing your own mats? Can you send the manufacturer the file and they print it?

I print mine on a piece of paper and place it under the opaque innovators overlay

• edited November 2019

@ipadbeatmaking Whoa, nice layout! I’ve been going back and forth between pads and keys for Slate, keep coming back to keys...think it’s because I used to finger drum on the Korg MicroSampler a lot. I like your graphics too.

@RJB like he said, I’m printing paper layouts for now. I’m looking into crafting plotters too, apparently the Cricut Maker is pretty beefy now. It can cut SVG files out of all kinds of materials, even substrates like silicone, fabric, and thin wood panels. I used to operate large format plotters/cutters for work, the Cricut software looks very familiar.

• edited November 2019

@3sleeves said:
    @ipadbeatmaking Whoa, nice layout! I’ve been going back and forth between pads and keys for Slate, keep coming back to keys...think it’s because I used to finger drum on the Korg MicroSampler a lot. I like your graphics too.

Thanks! This is way funer than I expected. It’s crazy how easy it is to get so much tactile control. Such a great value with this stuff. I’m just wishing they came out with a sensel morph pro that’s the footprint of the 12.9 iPad Pro to get even more stuff on it! Also hoping nanostudio 2 gets more midi control like bm3 In the near future.

@RJB like he said, I’m printing paper layouts for now. I’m looking into crafting plotters too, apparently the Cricut Maker is pretty beefy now. It can cut SVG files out of all kinds of materials, even substrates like silicone, fabric, and thin wood panels. I used to operate large format plotters/cutters for work, the Cricut software looks very familiar.

Whoa...I’ve got a cricut explore air 2 and brother scan n cut just sitting gathering dust...I might need to repurpose them babies! What’s ur thoughts on materials, process with it etc?

• @3sleeves said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    I print mine on a piece of paper and place it under the opaque innovators overlay

Cool, sounds like the innovator overlay is a good option if don’t have access to the higher tech

• @RJB said:
    Cool, sounds like the innovator overlay is a good option if don’t have access to the higher tech

Yes. It’s unreal what’s possible. And the lack of ‘feel’ isn’t as bad as one might imagine with the innovator overlay.

Little imagination and time goes a long way.

• @ipadbeatmaking Man, if you can cut 1mm and 2mm foam sheets that’s where I’d start. They’re dirt cheap so experimenting isn’t a big investment in materials. You could cut the same SVG out of both materials, then fit the thicker pieces inside the negative spaces of the thin sheet and vice versa - make positive and negative relief versions of the same layout. If you use cyanoacrylate adhesives like super glue sparingly it bonds foam well and stays pretty flexible.

From there you could even try cutting silicone sheets, but they’re more expensive to source.

In general when making custom layouts, I like to keep the sensitivity threshold on my keys at 0 and buttons and knobs at 4 or 5. So far that still feels good and responsive to me with 2mm foam sheets (hand cutting is tedious, I’ve just put a sheet on the Morph to test).

• There has just got to be a way to leverage Duct Tape here somewhere.

(Kinda serious actually. Masking tape, electrical tape, clear tape... all those ready made straight edges and movable adhesive. Maybe stuck to a thin sheet of Mylar.)

• @wim said:
    There has just got to be a way to leverage Duct Tape here somewhere.

(Kinda serious actually. Masking tape, electrical tape, clear tape... all those ready made straight edges and movable adhesive. Maybe stuck to a thin sheet of Mylar.)

Very interesting indeed. U might be onto something. I’m also wondering if scoring lines on the innovators overlay itself might be a viable permanent solution. Anyway to print images onto silicon?

• So if you design a custom layout is there a way to hit up the company and have them make it for you for $$$. Not gonna lie, I hate the red color pads, why they gotta be red? What about white pads, or green? Is there a way to pay extra and get custom rubbers for the thing, lol..

• @skulptur_sound said:
    So if you design a custom layout is there a way to hit up the company and have them make it for you for $$$. Not gonna lie, I hate the red color pads, why they gotta be red? What about white pads, or green? Is there a way to pay extra and get custom rubbers for the thing, lol..

I’m sure money talks, just how much money it’ll take is another thing. The pads are actually more on the hot pink side if that helps lol 😂

There isn’t a published way that I know of to get custom rubbers, but if anyone else knows, please let us know

• @3sleeves said:
    @ipadbeatmaking Man, if you can cut 1mm and 2mm foam sheets that’s where I’d start. They’re dirt cheap so experimenting isn’t a big investment in materials. You could cut the same SVG out of both materials, then fit the thicker pieces inside the negative spaces of the thin sheet and vice versa - make positive and negative relief versions of the same layout. If you use cyanoacrylate adhesives like super glue sparingly it bonds foam well and stays pretty flexible.

From there you could even try cutting silicone sheets, but they’re more expensive to source.

In general when making custom layouts, I like to keep the sensitivity threshold on my keys at 0 and buttons and knobs at 4 or 5. So far that still feels good and responsive to me with 2mm foam sheets (hand cutting is tedious, I’ve just put a sheet on the Morph to test).

What’s your thoughts on scoring the actual overlay with a cricut? Do you think it has enough power to make the lines? I know it’s expensive overall due to the cost of the overlay itself but any other DIY I’m thinking of seems subpar.

• edited November 2019

@ipadbeatmaking Rather than cutting the actual overlay I’d see about getting some 1mm or thinner silicone, the Cricut should be able to cut through that. Then for something more permanent, super glue the thin cutouts to the Innovator.
    I think cutting grooves would require something similar to a wood carving knife or a router, or at least a cutting angle you can’t achieve with a plotter.

I asked a friend who uses 3D printers about it, he’s never printed anything that soft but suggested using harder materials and making a mold from the print. That way you could cast them in all types of softer materials. This seems like an interesting idea, but a lot of work for a one off...if demand was there though, it would be worth the time.

I’ve also been thinking of another possible method with a Cricut, but have no means of proving if this is possible at the moment - roll out a thin, uniform layer of polymer clay on aluminum foil or parchment, then use the scoring tip to make indentations. Bake it until it cures, trim it, it’s a solid overlay. If it fits within the thinner part of the Innovator overlay it could even be glued in place. It’s not as flexible, but it’s fairly durable material.

• @wim said:
    There has just got to be a way to leverage Duct Tape here somewhere.

How interesting. I hadn't thought of this but I'm going to play with it.