Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Send Midi Clock from 2 different apps

Are there problems if you send midi clock to the same hardware tool, a sequecer (A.Beatstep), at the same time from two different apps (modstep and aum) during a live session?

Comments

• Yes, the bpm will double up

• Ok karakios. Thanks for the answer.
    And during Live session is better Aum or Modstep as Midi Clock sender? In my case BeatStep sending Midi note to modstep that push Midi out to synth apps loaded in Aum.

• With MIDI clock, one and only one sender must be the master.
    When using AUM, Modstep and the Beatstep, you only have one choice anyway:
    AUM cannot follow MIDI clock so it has to be the master and Modstep and Beatstep have to be configured as clock slaves.

• I am considering a beatstep pro but the tempo being passed through the machine has me worried. I'd rather have it slaved to tempo but use all it's other features to trigger things... I remember having this tempo doubling issue before with a beatstep. Anyone care to contribute their experience with the beatstep pro and tempo issues like doubling?

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@rs2000 said:
    With MIDI clock, one and only one sender must be the master.
    AUM cannot follow MIDI clock so it has to be the master and Modstep and Beatstep have to be configured as clock slaves.

You can also employ AudioBus 3 to do bridging between midi clock and Link, with AUM’s tempo being controlled by link. More moving parts, though.

• @rs2000 said:

This is all right.
    But AUM there isn’t in Modstep midi sources under settings.
    Aum doesn’t send neither when Modestep is loaded as Inter-app into AUM itself.
    The Midi Clock sending from App (aum) to app (modstep) is not accurate (it warns aum himself when you try to send).

• @wim said:

@rs2000 said:

You can also employ AudioBus 3 to do bridging between midi clock and Link, with AUM’s tempo being controlled by link. More moving parts, though.

I Also use Ableton Link but between modstep and Aum, They work in sync. Then Aum or Modstep send Midi Clock to BeatStep.
    How i asked initially In my post: could be there any issues if you send midi clock to the same hardware tool from 2 different apps and which app ,modstep or aum, is better to send Midi Clock during session.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@apanebia said:
    How i asked initially In my post: could be there any issues if you send midi clock to the same hardware tool from 2 different apps...

That part has been answered. It is a most definite "yes". You will certainly have problems if you send midi clock to hardware from two different apps at the same time. You do not want to do that.

The AUM help and prompts go out of their way to claim midi clock is relatively unreliable. Modstep claims it does. I can't say from actual experience, but that seems to weigh it toward Modstep if you must send clock from one or the other.

Personally, I would use Audiobus to send midi clock to the hardware, and Link to control Modstep and AUM. But you may have reasons for not wanting to do that.

• @wim said:

@apanebia said:
    How i asked initially In my post: could be there any issues if you send midi clock to the same hardware tool from 2 different apps...

That part has been answered. It is a most definite "yes". You will almost certainly have problems if you send midi clock from two different apps at the same time. You do not want to do that.

The AUM help and prompts go out of their way to claim midi clock is relatively unreliable. Modstep claims it does. I can't say from actual experience, but that seems to weigh it toward Modstep if you must send clock from one or the other.

MIDI clock has always been super-stable as long as you're using apps that send stable clock, and that's where the issues start to become apparent: Only few developers care about sending and receiving stable and low-jitter midi clock in their iOS apps.
    When I'm using hardware together with iDevices, I always let the hardware be the master, for the reason alone that I can use physical transport buttons and have the iDevices follow immediately. That's also the reason why I prefer clock over LINK.
    @Wim is right that Audiobus is worth a try too, I tend to forget ;)
    I personally haven't had success mixing LINK and MIDI clock to get a good, seamless user experience but if there's one major rule then it must be this:
    Just try it for yourself!

• @apanebia said:

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:

I Also use Ableton Link but between modstep and Aum, They work in sync. Then Aum or Modstep send Midi Clock to BeatStep.
    How i asked initially In my post: could be there any issues if you send midi clock to the same hardware tool from 2 different apps and which app ,modstep or aum, is better to send Midi Clock during session.

This overlaps with your other answers. If link is working for you, go with it. If not, here is how to get AUM to drive ModStep -- if you haven't figured it out. Select ModStep as an input for AUM. In the sync settings for AUM, choose ModStep as a Midi Click destination. You can comfortably ignore AUM's warning about MIDI clock which is there because some apps aren't reliable MIDI Clock followers. ModStep seems to be a reliable follower. So, I wouldn't let that warning discourage you.

In ModStep, in the MIDI Setup, just turn on the MIDI Clock sync setting in for the ModStep input. AUM is sending the clock to ModSteps virtual midi input. That is why you don't see AUM as a source. It doesn't expose its MIDI output ports BUT you don't them for this.

• Yeah, that's my question:

I want Ableton Link to control all tempo. It's awesome. I will be purchasing a Circuit Happy Missing Link to send MIDI tempo to three hardware devices: my KP3, Boss RC505, and yet-to-be purchased Beatstep Pro. The problem I am considering that might occur is that the Beatstep Pro (which will be responsible for iPad triggering & control) will pass through tempo to the iPad. But I think setting Ableton Link as the main tempo control for my apps would Trump the pass-through tempo of the Beatstep. True? Kinda true?

• @FlightManual said:
    Yeah, that's my question:

I want Ableton Link to control all tempo. It's awesome. I will be purchasing a Circuit Happy Missing Link to send MIDI tempo to three hardware devices: my KP3, Boss RC505, and yet-to-be purchased Beatstep Pro. The problem I am considering that might occur is that the Beatstep Pro (which will be responsible for iPad triggering & control) will pass through tempo to the iPad. But I think setting Ableton Link as the main tempo control for my apps would Trump the pass-through tempo of the Beatstep. True? Kinda true?

As long as the apps aren't following MIDI sync, I wouldn't think they would pay any attention.

• @espiegel123 said:

@FlightManual said:
    Yeah, that's my question:

As long as the apps aren't following MIDI sync, I wouldn't think they would pay any attention.

I think you are right.

• @wim said:

@apanebia said:

That part has been answered. It is a most definite "yes". You will certainly have problems if you send midi clock to hardware from two different apps at the same time. You do not want to do that.

Personally, I would use Audiobus to send midi clock to the hardware, and Link to control Modstep and AUM. But you may have reasons for not wanting to do that.

I don’t use Audiobus to send Midi Clock to BeatStep because when i load ispark into Audiobus the ispark’s doesn’t follow the tempo settings of Audiobus. Maybe i fails something in Audiobus settings.

• Sorry, I no longer have iSpark on my iPad, so I can't say.

• @espiegel123 said:

@apanebia said:

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:

This overlaps with your other answers. If link is working for you, go with it. If not, here is how to get AUM to drive ModStep -- if you haven't figured it out. Select ModStep as an input for AUM. In the sync settings for AUM, choose ModStep as a Midi Click destination. You can comfortably ignore AUM's warning about MIDI clock which is there because some apps aren't reliable MIDI Clock followers. ModStep seems to be a reliable follower. So, I wouldn't let that warning discourage you.

In ModStep, in the MIDI Setup, just turn on the MIDI Clock sync setting in for the ModStep input. AUM is sending the clock to ModSteps virtual midi input. That is why you don't see AUM as a source. It doesn't expose its MIDI output ports BUT you don't them for this.

Ok. But in this setup if AUM send Midi Clock to modstep, who send Midi Clock to BeatStep? Modstep?

• @apanebia said:

@espiegel123 said:

@apanebia said:

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:

Ok. But in this setup if AUM send Midi Clock to modstep, who send Midi Clock to BeatStep? Modstep?

You can send the MIDI Clock from AUM to any virtual midi port or connected midi device.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@apanebia said:

@espiegel123 said:

@apanebia said:

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:

Ok. But in this setup if AUM send Midi Clock to modstep, who send Midi Clock to BeatStep?

AUM

• @rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

That part has been answered. It is a most definite "yes". You will almost certainly have problems if you send midi clock from two different apps at the same time. You do not want to do that.

MIDI clock has always been super-stable as long as you're using apps that send stable clock, and that's where the issues start to become apparent: Only few developers care about sending and receiving stable and low-jitter midi clock in their iOS apps.
    When I'm using hardware together with iDevices, I always let the hardware be the master, for the reason alone that I can use physical transport buttons and have the iDevices follow immediately. That's also the reason why I prefer clock over LINK.
    I personally haven't had success mixing LINK and MIDI clock to get a good, seamless user experience but if there's one major rule then it must be this:

When i send Midi Clock from BeatStep as master to Modstep the bpm of modstep clock they bust and sway continuously.
    Is normal? Is real syncro?

• @apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

When i send Midi Clock from BeatStep as master to Modstep the bpm of modstep clock they bust and sway continuously.

When I lock ModStep to another app on the iPad with Midi Clock, the sync is solid. As a test, try just the beatstep and Audiobus and see if AudioBus is staying locked tight.

• @apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

I got both a BeatStep and Modstep here, will try...

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

I'm guessing maybe you're also receiving clock on Modstep from another app. Or more likely that you have Link enabled? Link needs to be off if following clock. (The exception to this is Audiobus, which can receive clock and send Link, acting as a bridge. Very handy.)

The golden rule of sync: Only one sync source at a time per app or device. B)

• @espiegel123 said:

@apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

When I lock ModStep to another app on the iPad with Midi Clock, the sync is solid. As a test, try just the beatstep and Audiobus and see if AudioBus is staying locked tight.

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

I'm guessing maybe you're also receiving clock on Modstep from another app. Or more likely that you have Link enabled? Link needs to be off if following clock. (The exception to this is Audiobus, which can receive clock and send Link, acting as a bridge. Very handy.)

Ok i try with beatstep that send Midi Clock to Audiobus (in settings/Midi Clock sync/check Beatstep under Midi Clock sources) and it work just fine and also change audiobus tempo with BeatStep’s large knob.
    Now: how can I sync Audiobus and modstep, simply with AbeltonLink?
    Or activating Midi Clock from Audiobus to modstep in their midi settings?

And a second question:
    Why with ispark loaded in Audiobus works only start stop and not the tempo change modified with BeatStepknob/Audiobus? (In Audiobus’s sync settings iter-app audio sync and Audiobus app start/stop are activated).
    Can will solve activate Link on ispark?

• @apanebia said:

@espiegel123 said:

@apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

Ok i try with beatstep that send Midi Clock to Audiobus (in settings/Midi Clock sync/check Beatstep under Midi Clock sources) and it work just fine and also change audiobus tempo with BeatStep’s large knob.

And a second question:
    Why with ispark loaded in Audiobus works only start stop and not the tempo change modified with BeatStepknob/Audiobus? (In Audiobus’s sync settings iter-app audio sync and Audiobus app start/stop are activated).

Audiobus can sync to midi clock. just choose the same source as you use for modstep.

• @apanebia said:

@espiegel123 said:

@apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

And a second question:

If I can, I'll reload iSpark on my iPad later today and see if I can get it to sync. I'm not sure if iSpark has Link Start/Stop, probably not. So IAA sync or Midi Clock is probably needed.

iSpark hasn't been updated in quite awhile, I think, so it may not have the latest Audiobus and/or Link support.

• @espiegel123 said:

@apanebia said:

@espiegel123 said:

@apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

And a second question:

Audiobus can sync to midi clock. just choose the same source as you use for modstep.

you probably meant that modstep can sync with the midi clock.
    I should choose the same source that I use with audiobus, or beatstep and so I will have the oscillating bpm that I said before

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@apanebia said:

@espiegel123 said:

@apanebia said:

@espiegel123 said:

@apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

And a second question:

you probably meant that modstep can sync with the midi clock.
    I should choose the same source that I use with audiobus, or beatstep and so I will have the oscillating bpm that I said before

I suggest at this point you describe exactly which apps and hardware you would like to sync, and which you would like to be the tempo and start/stop master.

I'm sure there is a workable setup, but the trail has gotten so confusing that we're going around in circles here.

• @wim said:

@apanebia said:

@espiegel123 said:

@apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@apanebia said:

And a second question:

If I can, I'll reload iSpark on my iPad later today and see if I can get it to sync. I'm not sure if iSpark has Link Start/Stop, probably not. So IAA sync or Midi Clock is probably needed.

iSpark hasn't been updated in quite awhile, I think, so it may not have the latest Audiobus and/or Link support.

Audiobus has the Link support and support start/stop.
    The issues about tempo change with ispark happen in IAA mode into Audiobus. Midi Clock i don’know

• Please see above. I'm sure there's a way to get it all to work together if you lay out exactly what it is you're trying to do.

• Sounds like a job for Mozaic! Two clock inputs, with the output randomly switching between the two?