Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anybody notice the GrooveBox updates?

There have been two small updates in the last week or so, both improving the functionality of the piano roll. Real, actual improvements! Thanks @AmpifyxNovation, keep it up 🙂👍

Comments

• edited October 2019

I’ve been spending lots of quality time with Groovebox since I got the new Launchkey Mini. Integration is really well done.

Falling in love with Poly 8 a little bit more everyday!

• I love Groovebox, especially jamming with it...but it all feels a bit futile because there’s no good way to mix a live groovebox jam, or record it to stems for remix in a different app. Right now that’s the only thing stopping me from buying one of those launch controllers...the integration does indeed look amazing.

• Yup, still waiting om sample import in drumbox 🙃

• edited October 2019

I’m using Ableton Export so don’t have problems arranging and editing.

Actually that’s not exactly the case, can’t seem to stop making new sketches. Fear of Windows updates has me using the pc less often. Almost always break something here, different surprises every time and as soon as I get things fixed another one appears.

Automatic project naming means I have no clue of what’s what but will get around to organising someday.

• The piano roll improvements are great. Lengthening notes used to be really fiddly.

• edited October 2019

@Shabudua said:
    I love Groovebox, especially jamming with it...but it all feels a bit futile because there’s no good way to mix a live groovebox jam, or record it to stems for remix in a different app.

I thought export project files did exactly that; export stems as WAV files. Is there a limitation there I’m not aware of?

I haven’t bought the pro update yet but plan to one day. If you can’t export stems that would be a bummer.

• @klownshed said:

@Shabudua said:
    I love Groovebox, especially jamming with it...but it all feels a bit futile because there’s no good way to mix a live groovebox jam, or record it to stems for remix in a different app.

I thought export project files did exactly that; export stems as WAV files. Is there a limitation there I’m not aware of?

I haven’t bought the pro update yet but plan to one day. If you can’t export stems that would be a bummer.

Exporting a project with the individual stems in a zip file is an option - you can export to Audioshare and Cubasis, but for some reason there is no option to export to Blocs Wave, Launchpad and many others.

• @robosardine said:

@klownshed said:

@Shabudua said:

Exporting a project with the individual stems in a zip file is an option - you can export to Audioshare and Cubasis, but for some reason there is no option to export to Blocs Wave, Launchpad and many others.

This is because the exported file is a zip and those are the only destinations that can unzip.
    If you want to send the files to other apps then you need to go via audioshare/files app......files app is better for blocs as when you import you can import in bulk from files app.

The issue that @shabudua may be referring to, is that there is no way of performing in Groovebox, and getting stems or individual tracks from that performance.

• @Shabudua said:
    There have been two small updates in the last week or so, both improving the functionality of the piano roll. Real, actual improvements! Thanks @AmpifyxNovation, keep it up 🙂👍

These little tweaks make such a big difference when editing.

• @Shabudua said:
    I love Groovebox, especially jamming with it...but it all feels a bit futile because there’s no good way to mix a live groovebox jam, or record it to stems for remix in a different app. Right now that’s the only thing stopping me from buying one of those launch controllers...the integration does indeed look amazing.

It is :) and combining GB and LP using a Launchkey and Launchpad is pretty amazing, and really demonstrates some of what those controllers are capable of......And yes it makes you want to be able to get that performance out of the app afterwards for remixing.

• @AndyPlankton said:

The issue that @shabudua may be referring to, is that there is no way of performing in Groovebox, and getting stems or individual tracks from that performance.

Gotcha.

I tend to make stems from totally programmed sequences so tend not to think about exporting something that isn't nailed down already.

• So if that works, the only thing I need is save patterns

• @AndyPlankton said:.

Exactly. Groovebox is perfectly capable of exporting LOOPS as stems. But whenever I open Groovebox, I find myself jamming, improvising, live-tweaking...in fact I’ve never found anything as inspiring as Groovebox for performing electronic music on the fly. If I record myself jamming for 20 minutes, I easily catch enough material to edit down to a good 5-minute song—but currently it’s a single stereo stream, without any panning, eq or fx on separate instruments. I SOOOO want to remix it into a final polished track...if I could, Groovebox would be my main music tool, no question.

• After update Groovebox want me to pay for PRO features again 😕
    I don't know if I wanna try to buy again...

• @marcuspresident said:
    After update Groovebox want me to pay for PRO features again 😕
    I don't know if I wanna try to buy again...

Try restoring your purchases under settings.

• edited October 2019

@Shabudua said:

@AndyPlankton said:.

Exactly. Groovebox is perfectly capable of exporting LOOPS as stems. But whenever I open Groovebox, I find myself jamming, improvising, live-tweaking...in fact I’ve never found anything as inspiring as Groovebox for performing electronic music on the fly. If I record myself jamming for 20 minutes, I easily catch enough material to edit down to a good 5-minute song—but currently it’s a single stereo stream, without any panning, eq or fx on separate instruments. I SOOOO want to remix it into a final polished track...if I could, Groovebox would be my main music tool, no question.

I’m with you 100 percent.
    @AmpifyxNovation What can we do to persuade you to let us record stems? I know @echoopera did this one trick where he soloed each instrument and recorded the song in several passes.

There is an appetite for this! I’d buy every preset if I could reliably EQ each track later and ride their levels in a mix!
    This would replace Gadget with just a few more “pro” features.

• edited October 2019

@marcuspresident it does look like you are about to pay twice.

AppStore will say something like “you already own this” and everything will be restored for free after you press the purchase button.

• edited October 2019

+1 on stem export

Being able to record automation into patterns would be another one I’d nominate. Simply being able to record gui movement ala Gadget would be great.

• I’d happily buy either as an IAP.

• Sorry for the dumb question, there is a way to zoom out the piano roll, and a shortcut for transpose +/- 1 octave an entire sequence?

• @Faland said:
    Sorry for the dumb question, there is a way to zoom out the piano roll, and a shortcut for transpose +/- 1 octave an entire sequence?

No to both at the moment....

• Exporting project files works ok for me , every instrument is exported as separate wave file

• Export writes 1 file per pattern per track doesn’t it? I guess what some are asking for is 1 file per track. But it’s easy enough to create stems in a DAW by just lining up the pattern exports one after the other.

• Does anyone else find that when editing in the piano roll, the notes always snap to grid even when snap is turned off?

• @purpan2 said:
    Does anyone else find that when editing in the piano roll, the notes always snap to grid even when snap is turned off?

Nope, it works fine for me

• @purpan2 said:
    Does anyone else find that when editing in the piano roll, the notes always snap to grid even when snap is turned off?

It's working fine here, ios 13, tried on both iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2

• @Korakios said:
    Exporting project files works ok for me , every instrument is exported as separate wave file

@ecamburn said:
    Export writes 1 file per pattern per track doesn’t it? I guess what some are asking for is 1 file per track. But it’s easy enough to create stems in a DAW by just lining up the pattern exports one after the other.

Yes you can export stems of the individual loops.
    What we are saying is that when playing GB live, you are not being able to get multi-track audio out from that performance....you can record a stereo file, but cannot get multi-track.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@purpan2 said:

Thanks to you both. I’ll try reinstalling.

• @purpan2 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@purpan2 said:

Thanks to you both. I’ll try reinstalling.

And... it worked fine after a reinstall. Thanks again gurus. :)