Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Request new Mozaic Scripts *HERE*

1474850525356

Comments

  • I'm done assigning Pad functions and have a PPQN knob in Layout 2.
    There's a Step Sequencer on Pad 16 and a Play Sequence on Pad 15.

    https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/3k/4ezlmdme71qa.png

    I had play with 3 copies running in AUM and mixed PPQN's t get some polyrhythmic action.

  • heshes
    edited May 2022

    @McD said:
    I'm done assigning Pad functions and have a PPQN knob in Layout 2.
    There's a Step Sequencer on Pad 16 and a Play Sequence on Pad 15.
    . . .
    I had play with 3 copies running in AUM and mixed PPQN's t get some polyrhythmic action.

    Cool. I'd give that a try. Is it up on Patchstorage?

  • @hes said:

    @McD said:
    I'm done assigning Pad functions and have a PPQN knob in Layout 2.
    There's a Step Sequencer on Pad 16 and a Play Sequence on Pad 15.
    . . .
    I had play with 3 copies running in AUM and mixed PPQN's t get some polyrhythmic action.

    Cool. I'd give that a try. Is it up on Patchstorage?

    Let me finish the knobs and I'll upload a version 1. Should be a day or 2 to find the time for
    finishing. I keep coming up with new features I'd like to add but I suspect most people just end up being confused when I keep piling on features.

    For example, for Version 2:

    When record toggle is ON:
    The Pad labels could indicate Bass, Melody 1 and Melody 2 Toggels to record into one of 3 layers on sequences that output on MIDI Channels 1,2,3. (An great idea borrowed from Piano Motifs).

    It would be nice to have an "UNDO LAST NOTE" when in RECORD mode. Toggling RECORD off then on is effectively a UNDO ALL.

  • My variant ( WIP name „Misha Keys“) doesn‘t offer a step recorder, but will feature scale and root selector, midi note mapping from the white keys of an input kyboard and some more play related features.

    Development and debugging will take a while :)

  • @_ki said:
    My variant ( WIP name „Misha Keys“) doesn‘t offer a step recorder, but will feature scale and root selector, midi note mapping from the white keys of an input kyboard and some more play related features.

    Development and debugging will take a while :)

    External keyboard mapping is a great idea. I look forward to reading your solution script.

  • Looks awesome.

  • @_ki said:
    My variant ( WIP name „Misha Keys“) doesn‘t offer a step recorder, but will feature scale and root selector, midi note mapping from the white keys of an input kyboard and some more play related features.

    Development and debugging will take a while :)

    Good code is worth waiting for and with Mozaic anyone can look at the solution... not that anyone will understand it. @_Ki's code represents years of professional experience.

    I'm going hold back on my script because I owe @_Ki a debt of gratitude for helping me
    fix a StreamByter script and making it work. He spent hours working with me explaining where my bugs were that were driving me crazy. Streambyter was a lot harder than Mozaic but I expect his implementation to be rock solid and well maintained if people find it useful.

    His code will be the version of the Misha interface that should get the downloads and attention. I was hoping would act on this idea.

  • Don‘t worry, just publish your script when it‘s ready - they probabbly serve different use-cases. I implement my variant just for the purpose of solving interesting problems and not for the downloads 😀

    .

    Currently i‘m a bit sidetracking by providing a visual interface to the root and scale selection - i have fun scripting an additional view that shows the in-scale notes together with the offsets…

    The view is supposed to represent the keys of a keyboard, that's why the graphic blocks are shifted differently per key. The root key is highlighted in blue, in-scale keys are in green - otherwise black/white keys as usual. Below in-scale keys, the offsets to the root-key are shown

  • @_ki said:
    Don‘t worry, just publish your script when it‘s ready - they probabbly serve different use-cases. I implement my variant just for the purpose of solving interesting problems and not for the downloads 😀

    OK.

    Currently i‘m a bit sidetracking by providing a visual interface to the root and scale selection - i have fun scripting an additional view that shows the in-scale notes together with the offsets…

    You are the master of Mozaic interfaces. Your attention to the details is legendary. I'm sure it comes from your attention to programming standards on your day job.

    The view is supposed to represent the keys of a keyboard, that's why the graphic blocks are shifted differently per key. The root key is highlighted in blue, in-scale keys are in green - otherwise black/white keys as usual. Below in-scale keys, the offsets to the root-key are shown

  • I have uploaded my script:

    https://patchstorage.com/meesha-interval-pads-with-step-sequencer/

    Let me know if you have questions.

  • Does anyone know the logarithmic conversion that AUM uses for MIDI CC to db for volume?

    The background is that I'm using Mozaic to send MIDI CC 7 to control volume with values 0 to 127.
    AUM converts this to -infinity to +6 db on the fader.
    I'd like to display the db instead of the cc number on my Mozaic knob, so need to translate 0 to 127 to -inf to 6db.
    I know Mozaic has Log and Log10 functions, and I can divide CC by 127 to get to a 0 to 1 range, but what to do then?

  • @belldu said:
    Does anyone know the logarithmic conversion that AUM uses for MIDI CC to db for volume?

    The background is that I'm using Mozaic to send MIDI CC 7 to control volume with values 0 to 127.
    AUM converts this to -infinity to +6 db on the fader.
    I'd like to display the db instead of the cc number on my Mozaic knob, so need to translate 0 to 127 to -inf to 6db.
    I know Mozaic has Log and Log10 functions, and I can divide CC by 127 to get to a 0 to 1 range, but what to do then?

    @j_liljedahl should be able to answer that.
    Since the dB value is defined as 20 * log10 (output / input level), my guess is that the CC values are mapped to equidistant dB values with the exception of 0 being mapped to -inf.
    Drambo has a CC generator and an oscilloscope now with an average pos. and neg. peak voltage display which can be used both for sound generation as well as for quite precise measurements if you scale the values correctly.

  • @McD said:
    I have uploaded my script:

    https://patchstorage.com/meesha-interval-pads-with-step-sequencer/

    Let me know if you have questions.

    This looks interesting. I look forward to trying it out.

  • @McD It's fun! I uploaded a little 23 second jam clip here. The video is currently "unlisted" because I wasn't sure if you were ready to "advertise" it like that.

    The first Mozaic script I ever wrote (unreleased) was a MIDI echo, with two transposition values, so it goes +1, -3, +1, -3, etc. from whichever note you play, and the timing between the notes can become gradually faster or slower. Maybe I'll find a way to merge these concepts.

    I think the ability to set the root note via MIDI note would be useful. But I'm just sharing my thoughts, not requesting features. :smile: I'll create my own interpretation eventually. I'm not sure whether it would be better to use this in conjunction with a MIDI controller with more buttons, or try to have Mozaic be the entire instrument.

    @_ki I like the pad keyboard idea. I would have a knob or one of the pads as a toggle, to set whether or not each of the notes is currently in scale.

  • @Skyblazer The „Misha Keys“ script currently supports the buildin scales of Mozaic, pressing a pad in ‚Root & Scale‘ mode plays the note so that one can get an audible impression of the scale.
    So pad interaction is already ‚blocked‘, and can‘t be used for in-scale toggles. In the main view only 6 pos & neg interval pads are available, a user-defined scale should‘t have too many notes (which is possible with the pad-toggle ideaa) otherwise an new interval selector view would be needed to select 6 of the intervals to be used for playing. So adding custom scales would result in quite a lot additional work, maybe in a future version…

  • McDMcD
    edited May 2022

    @Skyblazer said:
    @McD It's fun! I uploaded a little 23 second jam clip here.

    Thanks for uploading a simple video demo. I know that takes a good bit of effort. Please feel free to modify the script as you see fit and upload your version for others to play with.

    When I run out of Knobs I use the "SHIFT" button and display yet another page of knobs that can be adjusted to change parameters and then go back to the primary page when SHIFT is hit again. I had a script with 3-4 pages of knobs.

  • edited May 2022

    @McD said:

    @Skyblazer said:
    @McD It's fun! I uploaded a little 23 second jam clip here.

    Thanks for uploading a simple video demo. I know that takes a good bit of effort. Please feel free to modify the script as you see fit and upload your version for others to play with.

    When I run out of Knobs I use the "SHIFT" button and display yet another page of knobs that can be adjusted to change parameters and then go back to the primary page when SHIFT is hit again. I had a script with 3-4 pages of knobs.

    Aren't the knobs technically still there even if you don't display them? I.E. you can still control knob4 - knob 21 via midi without a GUI knob? (On layout 2/pad layout for example)

  • edited May 2022

    @McD Thanks, I might upload a version of it at some point.

    @AlmostAnonymous That's correct.

    @_ki If you don't plan to spend a lot of time on this idea, I don't blame you. I view it as a very niche toy.

    It's a concept that I can use to explore interface design, without having to write anything complex. I recently finished writing my Launchpad sequencer, and now I'm learning piano, so I'm in the mood to start something simple that I can tinker with.

  • @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Aren't the knobs technically still there even if you don't display them? I.E. you can still control knob4 - knob 21 via midi without a GUI knob? (On layout 2/pad layout for example)

    Excellent point.

    "What I Learned Today"
    Moziac exposes all 22 knobs as Parameters you can MIDI Learn with an external controller.

    What I was doing in my multi-page script was checking in the script to see which page was displaying and making knob 0 change different variables on each page so "logically" I had something like 35 "knobs".

    I have never used Moziac with an external controller. But I should.

  • @rs2000 said:

    @belldu said:
    Does anyone know the logarithmic conversion that AUM uses for MIDI CC to db for volume?

    The background is that I'm using Mozaic to send MIDI CC 7 to control volume with values 0 to 127.
    AUM converts this to -infinity to +6 db on the fader.
    I'd like to display the db instead of the cc number on my Mozaic knob, so need to translate 0 to 127 to -inf to 6db.
    I know Mozaic has Log and Log10 functions, and I can divide CC by 127 to get to a 0 to 1 range, but what to do then?

    @j_liljedahl should be able to answer that.
    Since the dB value is defined as 20 * log10 (output / input level), my guess is that the CC values are mapped to equidistant dB values with the exception of 0 being mapped to -inf.
    Drambo has a CC generator and an oscilloscope now with an average pos. and neg. peak voltage display which can be used both for sound generation as well as for quite precise measurements if you scale the values correctly.

    I tried _dbLevel = (20 * Log10 (_ccValue / 127)) however don't think this will account for the level going to +6 db in AUM. There's some other form of magic here and I'm not much of a mathematician. Would be great if @j_liljedahl has time to answer, but I'm also excited at the news of tempo control through MIDI in forthcoming Aum so understand there are bigger fish to fry.

  • edited May 2022

    @belldu
    No, the dB values are calculated from audio voltages, not CC numbers.
    +6dB means that the output voltage is twice the input voltage, -6dB is half the input voltage, -12dB is a quarter of it etc.
    The CCs are only mapped to the resulting dB scale in a way that gives the user the smoothest experience when changing volume (which can be a challenge with only 128 steps available).

  • edited May 2022

    @rs2000 said:

    @belldu said:
    Does anyone know the logarithmic conversion that AUM uses for MIDI CC to db for volume?

    The background is that I'm using Mozaic to send MIDI CC 7 to control volume with values 0 to 127.
    AUM converts this to -infinity to +6 db on the fader.
    I'd like to display the db instead of the cc number on my Mozaic knob, so need to translate 0 to 127 to -inf to 6db.
    I know Mozaic has Log and Log10 functions, and I can divide CC by 127 to get to a 0 to 1 range, but what to do then?

    @j_liljedahl should be able to answer that.
    Since the dB value is defined as 20 * log10 (output / input level), my guess is that the CC values are mapped to equidistant dB values with the exception of 0 being mapped to -inf.

    AUM uses the following conversion from MIDI CC value 0-127 to amplitude factor:

    a = pow(x / 127.0 * 1.4142135623730951, 2.0)
    

    For dB display, this is then converted with the usual:

    dB = log10(a) * 20.0
    
  • @McD said:

    @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Aren't the knobs technically still there even if you don't display them? I.E. you can still control knob4 - knob 21 via midi without a GUI knob? (On layout 2/pad layout for example)

    Excellent point.

    "What I Learned Today"
    Moziac exposes all 22 knobs as Parameters you can MIDI Learn with an external controller.

    What I was doing in my multi-page script was checking in the script to see which page was displaying and making knob 0 change different variables on each page so "logically" I had something like 35 "knobs".

    I have never used Moziac with an external controller. But I should.

    I was going the same thing for a while, using the shift to show other layouts. Then one day I saw all that in AUMs midi learn. I've been building nothing but GUIs and Controller crap forever now, so interface is pretty pointless.

  • @j_liljedahl said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @belldu said:
    Does anyone know the logarithmic conversion that AUM uses for MIDI CC to db for volume?

    The background is that I'm using Mozaic to send MIDI CC 7 to control volume with values 0 to 127.
    AUM converts this to -infinity to +6 db on the fader.
    I'd like to display the db instead of the cc number on my Mozaic knob, so need to translate 0 to 127 to -inf to 6db.
    I know Mozaic has Log and Log10 functions, and I can divide CC by 127 to get to a 0 to 1 range, but what to do then?

    @j_liljedahl should be able to answer that.
    Since the dB value is defined as 20 * log10 (output / input level), my guess is that the CC values are mapped to equidistant dB values with the exception of 0 being mapped to -inf.

    AUM uses the following conversion from MIDI CC value 0-127 to amplitude factor:

    a = pow(x / 127.0 * 1.4142135623730951, 2.0)
    

    For dB display, this is then converted with the usual:

    dB = log10(a) * 20.0
    

    Thanks for the quick reply, and it works for me, so with Mozaic friendly brackets this looks like:

    _amplitude = pow (_ccValue / 127) * 1.4142135623730951, 2
    _dbLevel = 20 * (log10 _amplitude)
    _dbLevelRounded = (Round (_dbLevel * 1000) / 100) / 10     // round to 1 decimal point to match AUM
    Log {cc:}, _ccValue, { db:}, _dbLevel, { dbr:}, _dbLevelRounded
    

    The only remaining issue is a minor display one in that Mozaic treats the result as a 4 decimal point number so will log or display -15.6000 for example. I'll see if I can trick it to use another datatype to get it to -15.6

  • _ki_ki
    edited May 2022

    @belldu How to output Mozaucs floats with one or two decimal of fractions can be found in this section of the Mozaic Scripting Tips & Tricks wiki page.

  • I'm wondering if there's a simple mozaic script that randomizes incoming notes by octave?

    The concept can be seen in the max for live device in this doc: https://midi2themax.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/MXL-Pack-manual-1.01.pdf - MXL octaves - where based on probability and velocity and notes ranges, notes are shifted into certain octaves.

  • @auxmux said:
    I'm wondering if there's a simple mozaic script that randomizes incoming notes by octave?

    The concept can be seen in the max for live device in this doc: https://midi2themax.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/MXL-Pack-manual-1.01.pdf - MXL octaves - where based on probability and velocity and notes ranges, notes are shifted into certain octaves.

    I can't recall any that do that specifically. It looks like an easy one to recreate though. I might take a crack at it some time this week if no one else beats me to it.

  • edited May 2022

    @wim said:

    @auxmux said:
    I'm wondering if there's a simple mozaic script that randomizes incoming notes by octave?

    The concept can be seen in the max for live device in this doc: https://midi2themax.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/MXL-Pack-manual-1.01.pdf - MXL octaves - where based on probability and velocity and notes ranges, notes are shifted into certain octaves.

    I can't recall any that do that specifically. It looks like an easy one to recreate though. I might take a crack at it some time this week if no one else beats me to it.

    Cool, thank you that would be amazing! Yeah, I was trying things on patch storage and didn't see anything quite the same. Will be handy for things like OODA and Euclidean sequencer.

    Also, definitely recommend checking out that max for live devices documentation, lots of neat ideas that would be perfect for Mozaic.

  • @auxmux said:
    Also, definitely recommend checking out that max for live devices documentation, lots of neat ideas that would be perfect for Mozaic.

    If there's a video demo of any Max for Live devices or other hardware products that would inspire a script please share a link here.

  • @McD said:
    If there's a video demo of any Max for Live devices or other hardware products that would inspire a script please share a link here.

    https://conductivelabs.com/ndlr/
    (kinda like the misha)

Sign In or Register to comment.