Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Poly 2 is out

Comments

• @RajahP said:
    Love the midi input.. sending chords to transpose is like an arp like no other arp....and there is the sample section.. wonderful app..

Wow. Now that is a great tip!

• @kinkujin said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear
    Take fork, break off small piece of cake. Enjoy it’s sweetness. Smash fork against crumbs and eat that too. Pretty soon all of cake is being digested.

The cake is a lie

• @kinkujin said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear
    Take fork, break off small piece of cake. Enjoy it’s sweetness. Smash fork against crumbs and eat that too. Pretty soon all of cake is being digested.

Seriously, I’ve only scratched the surface, but it’s not too hard to get rolling in this app.

Thank you. I have blocked out the 90 minutes when England will try and beat up on poor old Bulgaria in a Euro qualifier this afternoon and will see how far I get in that time :) Seriously though, I appreciate the nudge. It just looks complicated :)

• @jipumarino said:

@kinkujin said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear

The cake is a lie

I know. I've always known. But still we must do our best and carry on.

• @RajahP said:
    Love the midi input.. sending chords to transpose is like an arp like no other arp....and there is the sample section.. wonderful app..

what do you mean? I haven’t been home to get the in app purchase yet. what are you doing ? sounds interesting ?

• This is really, truly amazing. It actually works in the midi slots in AUM! Crazy amazing. Well worth the IAP.

Is anyone getting a ton of stuck notes when sending midi out? Only issue I’ve run into so far.

• edited October 2019

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    It just looks complicated :)

You are placing colored cake toppings onto a circular cake until you get what you like. How hard can it be?

• @DCJ said:
    This is really, truly amazing. It actually works in the midi slots in AUM! Crazy amazing. Well worth the IAP.

Is anyone getting a ton of stuck notes when sending midi out? Only issue I’ve run into so far.

I had this issue a lot during development and thought I'd sorted it. I'm going to bombard you with questions if you dont mind! Are you using AUM? Do you have more than one instance of Poly running? How many apps are you sending midi out to? Is it only specific synths that it happens with? Does it happen with a minimal setup i.e. just Poly and the synth in question?

Glad you're all enjoying the app! It's awesome to see so much positivity after toiling away for nearly two years by myself on it.

• @DCJ Also are they AU instances, IAA or standalone?

• @bleep said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    It just looks complicated :)

You are placing colored cake toppings onto a circular cake until you get what you like. How hard can it be?

Haha. That's a wonderful way of describing using Poly 2. Just watching the England match then will get back to some Poly-fun fun fun. Possibly the most innovative app I've got, and I've got most of them.

• @JSMilton said:

@DCJ said:
    This is really, truly amazing. It actually works in the midi slots in AUM! Crazy amazing. Well worth the IAP.

I had this issue a lot during development and thought I'd sorted it. I'm going to bombard you with questions if you dont mind! Are you using AUM? Do you have more than one instance of Poly running? How many apps are you sending midi out to? Is it only specific synths that it happens with? Does it happen with a minimal setup i.e. just Poly and the synth in question?

Glad you're all enjoying the app! It's awesome to see so much positivity after toiling away for nearly two years by myself on it.

No problem. Happy to answer all of them. All AU and only one instance of Poly. I've got each channel in poly sending with the default midi settings (so each channel number is the respective midi channel). I put Poly in the midi slot of AUM and sent midi to Phosphor, Spectrum, and Drambo. I made sure the only receiving channel on each was one of the poly channels (so 1, 2, & 3 respectively. Notes were hanging almost immediately. I tried changing the note length of each individual nodes and also the maximum length in the midi settings with no luck. Let me know if there's anything you want me to try. Can send you a screen recording if necessary.

• @eross said:

@RajahP said:

what do you mean? I haven’t been home to get the in app purchase yet. what are you doing ? sounds interesting ?

Midi mayhem... just getting started... ☺️

• Dammit...I said I was going to take a week off from buying apps...

But this looks pretty sick.

• @DCJ said:

@JSMilton said:

@DCJ said:

No problem. Happy to answer all of them. All AU and only one instance of Poly. I've got each channel in poly sending with the default midi settings (so each channel number is the respective midi channel). I put Poly in the midi slot of AUM and sent midi to Phosphor, Spectrum, and Drambo. I made sure the only receiving channel on each was one of the poly channels (so 1, 2, & 3 respectively. Notes were hanging almost immediately. I tried changing the note length of each individual nodes and also the maximum length in the midi settings with no luck. Let me know if there's anything you want me to try. Can send you a screen recording if necessary.

Awesome thanks for that info DCJ. No need for a screenshot, I think I know what the issue is now. I've just been getting hung notes in Sunrizer when Poly sends two note ons at the same time, on the same pitch, to the same channel. This of course happens all the time in Poly! When I sent the notes on sequential beats, nothing hung. Funny thing is that iSEM handles it fine. I'm gonna try filtering out duplicate the pitches and that might do it.

• BTW, thank you so much @JSMilton for being so interactive with the folks here. Not all developers do (which is perfectly fine) but it’s always a treat for people to talk with the Dev directly. I know that will likely change as the launch lands and kinks are worked out, but very appreciative of your time :smile:

• @drez said:
    BTW, thank you so much @JSMilton for being so interactive with the folks here. Not all developers do (which is perfectly fine) but it’s always a treat for people to talk with the Dev directly. I know that will likely change as the launch lands and kinks are worked out, but very appreciative of your time :smile:

No worries drez, it's a pleasure. It's good for me too as I get to learn how everyone is using the app.

@DCJ I've got a fix for the stuck notes, just been trying with Phosphor 2 and no stuck notes. I've got a bug fix update coming in the next few days so I'll bundle it into that. Cheers for letting me know about it.

• @JSMilton This is really cool. A much more significant evolution from Poly 1 than I thought at first. Very fair that you get so much for free to fully explore the app including even hosting as an IAA. Will definitely be getting the upgrade when it's available and when I've got some extra pesos laying around. Still quite happy with the original Poly too though.

• @JSMilton awesome! This app is so damn good. I’m so happy with it. Glad you’re able to fix this bug but I still love using it without midi.

• The original was able to run on iPhone.

Is there an iPhone version of Poly 2 under development?

• If this was universal I’d be more inclined to pay this unlock price. Not saying it isn’t worth the price, it is, great for random/crafted pluck and short sounds, feels a bit limited compared to similar apps in this genre but if I could tinker with it on my iPhone on the go that would be a whole new story for how/ when I would use this one

• Yay, iap works. Instabuy!

• Great stuff and lots of AU parameters exposed for each sampler, not a lot of time to delve in right now but lots of potential here. importing is nice and easy too with built in Files browser :)
    Haven't worked out how the midi modes work yet.

• Very pleased with the Pro upgrade and its comprehensive AU parameters exposure + midi stuff.

@JSMilton, have you considered adding a ratcheting parameter for the nodes? These extra notes could be visualized as tiny dots along the path of the node. If they on playback could pick up slight variations (from lfo to sample offset, lfo to attack, randomizations etc.), then we could even get ratcheting without the machine gun effect for free.

• @JSMilton Any chance to get a separate manual for this?

• @GovernorSilver said:
    The original was able to run on iPhone.

I'd love to do an iPhone version, but it's going to be time consuming so I'm waiting to see what the sales are like for the first month or so before committing to it. If it makes sense then I will definitely do it.

@bleep said:
    Very pleased with the Pro upgrade and its comprehensive AU parameters exposure + midi stuff.

@JSMilton, have you considered adding a ratcheting parameter for the nodes? These extra notes could be visualized as tiny dots along the path of the node. If they on playback could pick up slight variations (from lfo to sample offset, lfo to attack, randomizations etc.), then we could even get ratcheting without the machine gun effect for free.

Not a bad idea, I'll keep it in mind. Love the sound of the UI with a trail of dots.

@adult said:
    @JSMilton Any chance to get a separate manual for this?

Yeh a few people have mentioned this. I'm going to look into adding the manual to my site later today.

• @JSMilton Great! your site? could you give address to that?

• @adult said:
    @JSMilton Great! your site? could you give address to that?

https://james-milton.com/

• @JSMilton said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    The original was able to run on iPhone.

I'd love to do an iPhone version, but it's going to be time consuming so I'm waiting to see what the sales are like for the first month or so before committing to it. If it makes sense then I will definitely do it.

@bleep said:
    Very pleased with the Pro upgrade and its comprehensive AU parameters exposure + midi stuff.

Not a bad idea, I'll keep it in mind. Love the sound of the UI with a trail of dots.

@adult said:
    @JSMilton Any chance to get a separate manual for this?

Yeh a few people have mentioned this. I'm going to look into adding the manual to my site later today.

Much as I'd like a video overview/how-to, a stand alone manual would be very welcome.

• @JSMilton Thanks for the cool app, it's fun using it.

I tested Poly2 MIDI AUv3 as MIDI generator in AUM and noticed that the generated notes have a default length of 2sec and if triggered several times the NoteOn/Note-Off overlapp which is problematic for several synth and drum apps.

I either had to change the defaults down to less than 0.1 sec all 8 channels in the settings or needed to change the length% of all circles to 1% length to be 'non-overlapping' when used in the innermost circle with 120bpm.

I suppose that for midi generators it would be much more convenient if the default note-length depends on the bpm (and not msec) and that the default needs to be 'short enought' for multiple notes per ring' ie 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 and for the special cases one could set it to 2/1,1/1,1/4,1/8 maybe even dotted length.