Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Poly 2 is out

Comments

• @cadetrim said:
    @JSMilton
    Would 'loop, rev and mono' of sample be assignsble auv3 parameters in the future release?

Yeh there’s no reason I couldn’t do that. I’ll add it to the list

• @JSMilton said:

@cadetrim said:
    @JSMilton
    Would 'loop, rev and mono' of sample be assignsble auv3 parameters in the future release?

Yeh there’s no reason I couldn’t do that. I’ll add it to the list

You so nice!

• Outstanding app! The manual promises assigning cc messages to individual nodes is possible, but it does not say how or where. Can someone help? I want to control a piano sustain cc 64 using a node. :-)

• Hey @henningz,

Each node parameter (the small circles around the big circle on iPad) has a configurable CC number assigned to it. If you have a MIDI destination enabled for the nodes color, when it plays it will send the parameters value. So all you need to do is configure a parameter to CC 64 in the MIDI settings, create a connection for whatever color you like, then create a node for that color and it should start sending CC values to that destination.

• @JSMilton

I can't stop using Poly 2 as a sequencer, even multiple midi instances in AUM. Been hooked for almost a year. There's a lot of other really fun generative sequencers out there but this app is hands down my must have tool. You did a great job with this.

A few things I would like to see though to really put it over the edge.

1. Randomize Parameters
      a. Make this function like Randomize Position and Color where it doesn't make a permanent change to the pattern by adding the + option.
      b. This might be a little bit more complicated but I'd love to see some sort of option to exclude specific node colors from being affected by randomize parameters. Like maybe make a a new setting under Performance so that only the colors you have solo'ed will be affected? This could also apply to Randomize Position/colors.

2. CC Out: When sequencing external gear it would be nice to specify a custom range for each cc assignment. eg. 0% [cc35] 100% [cc60] etc. For when randomizing you aren't stuck with something like cc0 for a cutoff value.

That's it. Really REALLY love this app. Here's a snippet of one of my tracks made with Poly2 accompanied by some fractal animations I did.

• Hey @honkimon

Thanks for the feedback man, awesome you're getting so much out of Poly. Nice track too, reminds me of Aphex Twin.

The randomise stuff you mentioned is interesting. I actually nearly finished an update about a year ago that used the solo / mute functions to control which colors get randomised, a couple of people mentioned it back then too. I didn't press ahead with it as I didn't want to over complicate the app anymore, but I'm now thinking it's worth doing. I still have all the code so it won't be a huge task and would probably bring a lot of value to the app. Having it configurable as a performance setting is a great idea too.

In regards to making the randomise parameter temporary like the other randomisers, I like that idea a lot too! Only thing I'd be hesistant about with changing that is people who have become used to long pressing to affect only the selected color. I suppose I could have a flag in the performance settings that reverts it back to it's old functionality, wouldnt be a big deal. Could call it Legacy Mode for randomise parameter or something. What do you think?

The range for CC out is also a good idea. I did plan on expanding the CC out stuff at some point, but I've never got round to it. for the range, would it be useful to have an offset too e.g 20% - 60%, if you get me? Are there any bits of software you know of that do CC out well that I could take a look at?

I think it's about time I got a decent update sorted for Poly soon! I've been promising things to people for ages now but never get the time to work on it. I've got some time off soon so I'll see if I can get something sorted. Arp modes for the keyboard are at the top of the list too.

• @JSMilton : I can second @honkimon’s wish for randomisation options - more random is always good! :) I love this app, and the thought that it’s going to get an update is very good news. More power to you :)

• edited March 2021

Hey @JSMilton glad to hear there's an update in the works! If it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to make a small request regarding the midi input mode. Do you think it'd be possible to add an 'upward / downward / as played' option for midi input? At the moment it appears that midi input notes are played in random order - which is good at times, but not for all things.
    This app is really one of the all time tops 😊

• @JSMilton that sounds like an excellent idea, particularly with the legacy mode toggle.

• Hey @aleyas,

Up / Down for all notes, whether from MIDI input or not, will be possible with the Arp modes when I add them.

@aleyas
    This app is really one of the all time tops 😊

@Svetlovska said:
    @JSMilton : I can second @honkimon’s wish for randomisation options - more random is always good! :) I love this app, and the thought that it’s going to get an update is very good news. More power to you :)

Cheers guys!

• That's great! Can't wait to play with that arp mode!

• edited March 2021

The range for CC out is also a good idea. I did plan on expanding the CC out stuff at some point, but I've never got round to it. for the range, would it be useful to have an offset too e.g 20% - 60%, if you get me? Are there any bits of software you know of that do CC out well that I could take a look at?

I suppose a good example is something like Rozeta Sequencer Suit‪e‬'s LFO? Just to be able to specify that min max value. Poly2 default always starts at zero.

Rozeta LFO:

And my mockup for Poly 2:

I'm happy that you seem to be inspired to possibly make some changes like this. I understand this sort of app is somewhat niche and most of the youtube videos I've seen don't really do a good job of diving very deep into how complex and musical it can be. Perhaps I should get on that. You're probably not working on Poly3 yet but I'd certainly pay for these "performance" upgrades.

• I made a video demonstrating how I sequence external gear with Poly 2.

https://youtu.be/s2hnDeMP7JE

• edited March 2021

@honkimon said:
    I made a video demonstrating how I sequence external gear with Poly 2.

Cool vid. Subbed!

• @SpookyZoo said:

@honkimon said:

Cool vid. Subbed!

Thanks!

• @honkimon said:

https://youtu.be/s2hnDeMP7JE

Thank you for this. I never thought to use Poly this way. 👏

• @honkimon Looks / sounds great man, cheers for making that!

• @JSMilton said:
    @honkimon Looks / sounds great man, cheers for making that!

Thanks.

• edited April 2021

@JSMilton

Thanks for the update to Poly2. Really appreciated. Only nitpick is that I wish the CC out parameters could be different for each track. ie. If I pick cc74 for the red track maybe I want to pick a different cc for another color etc. I should have mentioned last time. Obv as it stands, whatever cc# chosen applies to all tracks.

I recorded a test and love being able to use the new percentages. Makes a huge difference. Not the most musical piece. More of a demonstration of how I try to milk inspirational riffs out of Poly2.

In this example; tracks 1-5 on on poly2 are sending midi to track 1 of the mc-707 using a generic 606 drum kit. Track 6 sends midi to the TB-03, track 7 to the SH-01a, and track 8 to the JP-08.

For midi cc out all tracks in poly 2 are modulating cutoff, resonance, reverb, delay, and pan on all instruments.

https://youtu.be/NgisyFwD1AY

• Here's a more musical session. 2 instances of Poly 2. What I like to do is get some rhythm or beat patterns put together that I like. Then I open another instance of the same project and half the speed. This instance will sequence the non rhythmic tones. I use the Launch Control XL pads to change the scenes in both instances of poly2. In this clip, again, it's sequencing all hardware.

https://youtu.be/xTDGOAmSAZA

• edited April 2021

Just discovered Poly 2 yesterday and recorded 3 tracks with it the same day 😁 Very smooth experience! I liked it a lot.

@JSMilton I don't know if you're open to suggestions but here are mine :smile:

• Sliding values: left and right arrows are tedious to tap when using a reduced-sized version of the GUI in AUv3 mode (for instance, selecting a MIDI channel or an Arp mode) . I'd therefore additionally suggest holding the element and sliding left or right to change its value.
    • REC button in sample editing: I'd love to pass audio to Poly 2 and record my own sounds quickly. That would be awesome!

Less important to my eyes as there are workarounds:

• Sample import: An alternative to Files, I'd love to send my files from AudioShare. Or to be able to Paste audio from it through the general pasteboard (don't know if this is possible)

Thanks again and have a great day!

• I've probably requested it before, but I'd like one of tracks 7 or 8 to be a different colour as they are almost indistinguishable shades of pink. Changing one to a shade of Orange would be much clearer.

Tiny detail but it would help, cheers.

@JSMilton

• @honkimon The beat on the second video is sick! Really cool to see Poly driving all those synths.
    @jsmonzani Glad you like the app man. Good suggestions, I'll keep them in mind for any future updates.
    @SpookyZoo You have indeed asked before, I'm sorry I keep forgetting. Those two colors are extremely similar so switching them up is probably a good idea!

• No idea how on Earth I missed it before but I lost hours to Poly 2 last night and absolutely loved it. I grabbed the Pro mode after less than 5 mins and then before I knew it the clock said 2am and I'd made some kind of 70bpm pulsing ambient dancehall track. This app is incredible!

• I've got the drums and bass running in here just to test it out as I was working in standalone mode but I want to use it AUM when I get a chance, using something else to provide the main beats

• @PeteSasqwax Awesome man! Glad you're enjoying the app.

• I love Poly 2. I do wish inputting notes in sequence mode was easier. Like if I could just play the keyboard and have each note make a new box that would be good. Instead of having to click into each individual note box and then enter the note.

• @PeteSasqwax said:

I've got the drums and bass running in here just to test it out as I was working in standalone mode but I want to use it AUM when I get a chance, using something else to provide the main beats

That’s a very Pete sound. <3

• @audiblevideo said:
    That’s a very Pete sound. <3

hehe - it works in a very me kind of a way, I think. I love this thing!

I put a longer video up on YT

Still very unstructured, but so much fun and so absurdly powerful.

• Just released an LP of music entirely sequenced live with Poly2