Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Poly 2 is out

Comments

• Hi- long time poly user, just now starting to experiment using it as a midi sequencer. I’ve been setting things up in AUM and multitrack recording the audio- does anyone have suggestions for a set up to multitrack record the midi into a daw for further editing?
    As an appaholic I pretty much have all the options available, NS2, BM3, Cubasis, wondering if anyone has a preferred setup. Thanks!

• edited May 2020

@hightunnels said:
    Hi- long time poly user, just now starting to experiment using it as a midi sequencer. I’ve been setting things up in AUM and multitrack recording the audio- does anyone have suggestions for a set up to multitrack record the midi into a daw for further editing?
    As an appaholic I pretty much have all the options available, NS2, BM3, Cubasis, wondering if anyone has a preferred setup. Thanks!

I use Xequence 2 in a very similar setup to record the midi. AUM, Xeq2 and Poly2. A great, fun trio.

The cool thing with this set up, is that you can have Xeq2 in multitrack record mode and it will automatically record and assign all the channels from Poly.

You can also set up lanes for your AUM instruments in Xeq 2.

• @hightunnels Btw, are you using Poly2 as AUv3 or standalone?

• @SpookyZoo Thanks--I like using Poly in standalone for putting together ideas then as auv3 in AUM for recording.

I have Xequence 1--would go for Xeq2 if it offers a better/easier setup, will admit I'm somewhat midi challenged...

• Ok found AudioDabbler's Xeq2/AUM walkthru and I think I'm getting the gist of it...

• @hightunnels said:
    @SpookyZoo Thanks--I like using Poly in standalone for putting together ideas then as auv3 in AUM for recording.

I have Xequence 1--would go for Xeq2 if it offers a better/easier setup, will admit I'm somewhat midi challenged...

OK, I think Xeq2 makes a setup like this much easier, but I did just try and do this with Xeq 1. There's a fair amount of setup, but it works.

In this test I set up 4 instruments in Xeq1, sending to AUM on MIDI channels 1-4.

I set their multitrack recording source as Xequence Destination

I set up 4 audio units in AUM, with AUM destination as source. Also sent AUM destination to Xequence in this matrix.

I positioned nodes for first 4 colours in Poly2 and set their destination as AUM. I turned off enable sound for each.

Tap the Multitrack and record button. Data recorded in X1.

I may have missed out some steps, so let me know if this works for you.

Oh yeah... make sure MIDI THRU is off in the Xequence settings as it will only use the one currently selected channel otherwise.

• @SpookyZoo Wow!! Thanks for doing that, gonna give it a try. Out of curiousity how would Xequence 2 improve on this??

• Oh also I see I don't have the multitrack iap in Xequence 1 so that's 1.99 off upgrading to 2. Hmmm.....

• @hightunnels said:
    @SpookyZoo Wow!! Thanks for doing that, gonna give it a try. Out of curiousity how would Xequence 2 improve on this??

To be honest, there would still be a fair amount of setup, but it does a couple of nice things here like automatically assign a track when you create an instrument.

Maybe not enough in itself of this particular example to get you to jump on X2, but it has a bunch of nice new improvements on existing and new features and well worth supporting. Dev encourages feedback and has implemented a bunch of user requests.

Hope this works for ya. Good luck/ have fun!

• @SpookyZoo said:

@hightunnels said:
    @SpookyZoo Wow!! Thanks for doing that, gonna give it a try. Out of curiousity how would Xequence 2 improve on this??

To be honest, there would still be a fair amount of setup, but it does a couple of nice things here like automatically assign a track when you create an instrument.

Maybe not enough in itself of this particular example to get you to jump on X2, but it has a bunch of nice new improvements on existing and new features and well worth supporting. Dev encourages feedback and has implemented a bunch of user requests.

Hope this works for ya. Good luck/ have fun!

Thanks again!

• edited June 2020

@JSMilton I forgot to answer in the other thread, but maybe best to keep it here ... if arp settings would make it to the next update then that would be great. The usual up, down, up-down are probably good enough (similar to e.g. Samplr). Another useful mode would be "In-order"; the arp plays the same sequence as the notes are entered. This is good for some interactive jamming, intentionally setting the sequence.

If others have any good suggestions for arp settings in midi input mode, then do chime in, please.

Exciting to hear that you have a new app in development, too!

• Is there a way to export one wav per pattern for all non empty patterns in a single step?

Also, is it possible to write exports directly to iOS Files rather than to the Files space inside poly 2 itself?

Trying to figure out if there are ways of reducing steps when exporting audio.

• @JSMilton Just picked up Poly 2 and enjoying finding my way round.

One feature I would love to see (might have missed it) is a Global Clock Multiplier, so that the the play speed of the whole Poly 2 cycle could be sped up\slowed down by integer multiples to allow for much slower triggering (or faster). Even placing the nodes on the outer rim is too quick for some musical contexts e.g. a more extended ambient sound. I know that I could pick a very slow clock speed for the set, but that would mean slowing the entire set.

I wonder if that might be a possibility for a future update?

• @ecamburn said:
    Is there a way to export one wav per pattern for all non empty patterns in a single step?

Also, is it possible to write exports directly to iOS Files rather than to the Files space inside poly 2 itself?

There's currently no way to export all the individual patterns in a single step. That's a great idea though so I'll look into it for the next update.

Exporting straight to the files app is possible, if enough people ask for it I'll look into that too.

@craftycurate said:
    @JSMilton Just picked up Poly 2 and enjoying finding my way round.

One feature I would love to see (might have missed it) is a Global Clock Multiplier, so that the the play speed of the whole Poly 2 cycle could be sped up\slowed down by integer multiples to allow for much slower triggering (or faster). Even placing the nodes on the outer rim is too quick for some musical contexts e.g. a more extended ambient sound. I know that I could pick a very slow clock speed for the set, but that would mean slowing the entire set.

I wonder if that might be a possibility for a future update?

You can actually already do this. Each pattern has a rate modifier, have a look at the swollen pads example project which uses it for slow ambient pads.

Cheers for checking out the app guys!

• edited December 2020

@JSMilton said:
    You can actually already do this. Each pattern has a rate modifier, have a look at the swollen pads example project which uses it for slow ambient pads.

Cheers for checking out the app guys!

Excellent thanks - I'm still quite new to the app and thought I'd checked everywhere. Thanks for your quick response! Even better that it's on a pattern by pattern basis for more flexibility.

• I was going to suggest setting Beat skip to 4-0 on that outer node, which will trigger only on 1 in 4 rotations. But that’s not used in swollen pads ... where is that rate modifier?

• I see; bottom right corner, then left edge.

• @JSMilton said:

So glad I saw this post...I've been trying to figure out whether I could slow my Poly 2 patterns down or not. Cheers!

• Poly 2 is really such a brilliant app. I use it to control my Hydrasynth and Waldorf Iridium, so much possibilities to explore.

• I haven't used to control melodies yet, but definitely should. It's fantastic for polyrhythms.

• @auxmux said:
    I haven't used to control melodies yet, but definitely should. It's fantastic for polyrhythms.

Yes, it is. It almost sounds like I'm a professional musician :)

• @JSMilton said:

@ecamburn said:
    Is there a way to export one wav per pattern for all non empty patterns in a single step?

There's currently no way to export all the individual patterns in a single step. That's a great idea though so I'll look into it for the next update.

Exporting straight to the files app is possible, if enough people ask for it I'll look into that too.

Thanks very much for considering these. Loving the app.

• @JSMilton It would be cool if Poly 2 supported importing any of the drum kit formats that Kit Maker already supports? https://www.kit-maker.com

On a related note, up to 16 parts would be amazing, since most kits are 16 sounds.

• @JSMilton Is there any way to transpose up or down in octaves? I can only find the dial that transposes up or down by 11 semitones which I don’t find all that useful when working with incoming MIDI e.g. if I want to use one node colour for more bass type pitches I can’t find a way to transpose -1 or -2 octaves.

Is this possible? If not, could I please put in a feature tweak to allow the Transpose dial to cover -24 to +24 semitones? Thanks!

• @craftycurate said:
    @JSMilton Is there any way to transpose up or down in octaves? I can only find the dial that transposes up or down by 11 semitones which I don’t find all that useful when working with incoming MIDI e.g. if I want to use one node colour for more bass type pitches I can’t find a way to transpose -1 or -2 octaves.

Is this possible? If not, could I please put in a feature tweak to allow the Transpose dial to cover -24 to +24 semitones? Thanks!

There's an octave control for each node, its the quaver icon. It allows moving octaves by +2 to -2.

• @auxmux said:
    @JSMilton It would be cool if Poly 2 supported importing any of the drum kit formats that Kit Maker already supports? https://www.kit-maker.com

On a related note, up to 16 parts would be amazing, since most kits are 16 sounds.

I'll have a look at kit maker, looks useful. In terms of 16 sounds, I'd love to but I'm not sure the UI could take it! Cramming 8 onto there was hard enough haha. If I was to do it all again I'd probably create a drum machine module that allows 16 sounds to be added but can be controlled as one instrument.

• edited December 2020

@JSMilton said:

@craftycurate said:
    @JSMilton Is there any way to transpose up or down in octaves? I can only find the dial that transposes up or down by 11 semitones which I don’t find all that useful when working with incoming MIDI e.g. if I want to use one node colour for more bass type pitches I can’t find a way to transpose -1 or -2 octaves.

There's an octave control for each node, its the quaver icon. It allows moving octaves by +2 to -2.

Thanks again for your response! I was looking for something that would transpose each colour group as it would be great to be able to shift the whole group in one step, esp as the node setup gets more complex, but individual node transpose does go some way towards that.

• 16 colors would be a little dazzling for a circle sequencer. But indeed more than 8 samples are needed sometimes.

So Sample pool for each tracks would be great. Samples that could be hot-swapped as a node parameters would add a lot of varieties.

@JSMilton said:

@auxmux said:
    @JSMilton It would be cool if Poly 2 supported importing any of the drum kit formats that Kit Maker already supports? https://www.kit-maker.com

I'll have a look at kit maker, looks useful. In terms of 16 sounds, I'd love to but I'm not sure the UI could take it! Cramming 8 onto there was hard enough haha. If I was to do it all again I'd probably create a drum machine module that allows 16 sounds to be added but can be controlled as one instrument.

• edited December 2020

@JSMilton

Would midi note in be possible in the future release?

I like to send midi out note to midi fx (notes chance retrigger then to chance filter) and then send them back in the apps. It's like a much more unpredictable retrigger.

I accidentally found that it could be done in the drumcomputer by Sugar Bytes, and it sounds really really fun. (Though Drumcomputer has retrigger function)

In Poly 2, only when angel or distance is unlocked, the interval between two nodes wouldn't be quantized. But then it would sound much chaotic.

midi note in would be a workaround for Poly 2 not having retrigger function. (And it would be nicer if angel/distance locks are independent for 8 tracks)

• @JSMilton
    Would 'loop, rev and mono' of sample be assignsble auv3 parameters in the future release?