Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Playbeat by AUDIOMODERN EOOD

Comments

• I think MidiOut would conflict with Riffer .... This is a different tool

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @Audiomodern IAA on a audio track inside Cubasis2 the play button disappears? Tried host transport but couldn’t start the sequencer?

Why would you do that? Works fine as an AU midi track

• I really want to buy this, but without midi out it seems kind of pointless. I’ll keep my eye on it, though, especially as I already have Riffer, which means I can get this for a fiver.

• @audio_DT said:
    I really want to buy this, but without midi out it seems kind of pointless. I’ll keep my eye on it, though, especially as I already have Riffer, which means I can get this for a fiver.

The dev said midi out is coming soonest on Dougs show last night.

• @audio_DT said:
    I really want to buy this, but without midi out it seems kind of pointless. I’ll keep my eye on it, though, especially as I already have Riffer, which means I can get this for a fiver.

Same here, and since we are proposing, 4 indipendent midi outs should be awesome!

• @Audiomodern said:
    Hello all,
    We want to thank you for your interest in Playbeat, your trust and support.
    We pay close attention to any request on this forum and we see that a direct audio export is most requested, which we will get to work ASAP.
    For any feature request please email us directly @ contact [at] audiomodern [dot] com and we will be much happy to work on those.

// For Riffer owners: We are about to release a major update with many new creative & requested features which we hope we can publish this month. Stay tuned :)

Let’s get Midi out on this thing...

• edited October 2019

Oh I didn’t know AM said it was coming. Thanks @Jumpercollins for mentioning that

• @Jumpercollins said:

@audio_DT said:

Great! Thanks

• Midi out will be very useful, but even as is, it’s a great way to record loops on AUM and then export those to a DAW of some kind.

• @Faland said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@audio_DT said:

Great! Thanks

In that case, I may just jump straight in while I wait for the Poly 2 upgrade to become available. Appoholism is both fun and a PITA.

• @ALB said:
    Midi out will be very useful, but even as is, it’s a great way to record loops on AUM and then export those to a DAW of some kind.

Agreed! The level of control over randomization is fantastic. Makes it very easy to dial in big evolving sequences to subtle accents and everything in between. Already a workhorse in my creative flow.

• @Audiomodern said:
    Hi again, I understand the confusion about saving samples along with presets here. It was a decision we had to take at some point during development.
    Right now saving a preset will only save the data/pattern settings but not the samples if you quit/close the App and re-open.
    It was necessary to do so in order to keep the App quick and not having to collect samples from everywhere. But that is only if you close and re-open. However this can easily be fixed and thank you for mentioning this.

I think if you can somehow manage sample saving within a preset as well as adding audio loop export and midi out it would make a really good app into an incredibly great app.

Thanks again for making it.

• Just got it for $5 with the bundle. It’s really cool, I threw in some piano samples and chord hits of various stuff and I’m getting a Bitches Brew vibe going on. I didn’t think I’d get anything useful out of it but I’m happily surprised

• edited October 2019

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @gsm909 I think you'll find that Riffer drifts over time too. It's subtle and takes several minutes but it certainly does drift. I simply restart the transport and it syncs up again. For me, small annoyance to get the musical results that Riffer (and now playbeat) provide.

The drift is real. :( Noticed right away. It happens after a few minutes of continuous playing. But I'm digging this app, hope they fix the drift.

• @auxmux said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @gsm909 I think you'll find that Riffer drifts over time too. It's subtle and takes several minutes but it certainly does drift. I simply restart the transport and it syncs up again. For me, small annoyance to get the musical results that Riffer (and now playbeat) provide.

The drift is real. :( Noticed right away. It happens after a few minutes of continuous playing. But I'm digging this app, hope they fix the drift.

Yeah, it's a bummer. It could be my imagination but it feels to me like the drift is more severe in Playbeat than Riffer.

• Yeah, others have said Octachron drifts but I haven't really noticed it. This on the other hand I heard right away. I love how it modulates pitch so much variety.

• @Audiomodern , timing drift in both Riffer and Playbeat is ridiculous. It makes both apps unusable in any kind of live situation.
    I really hope this issue can be fixed ASAP.
    Thanks

• @gsm909 said:
    @Audiomodern , timing drift in both Riffer and Playbeat is ridiculous. It makes both apps unusable in any kind of live situation.
    Thanks

Hey man... I am not experiencing any drifts. What setup I can reproduce this?
    I used AUM as host and the internal metronome and Playbeat sample playback (on the 1 the 2 the 3 and the 4 ;)) no drifting here...

• edited October 2019

@david_2017 said:

@gsm909 said:
    @Audiomodern , timing drift in both Riffer and Playbeat is ridiculous. It makes both apps unusable in any kind of live situation.
    Thanks

I used AUM as host and the internal metronome and Playbeat sample playback (on the 1 the 2 the 3 and the 4 ;)) no drifting here...

I am not getting drift from either app, AUs hosted in AUM with metronome on.
    Riffer for 15 continuous minutes, no drift.
    Just got Playbeat, but so far no drift here, either.

• Yepp, I stopped the test at 15 minutes also - no drifting. Maybe there is an issue somewhere else?

@CracklePot said:

@david_2017 said:

@gsm909 said:
    Thanks

I am not getting drift from either app, AUs hosted in AUM with metronome on.
    Riffer for 15 continuous minutes, no drift.
    Just got Playbeat, but so far no drift here, either.

• no drift for me too on both apps in AUM

• How many samples were loaded in the tests that were performed for drift and with other synths?

In my usage, I have 3 other synths plus various FX going at around 70-80% CPU usage. As soon as CPU spikes higher, things go out sync until I reset transport.

• edited October 2019

I had 4 stock samples loaded, but no other apps, just the AUM metronome.
    You have a lot of variables in your described setup.
    How are you determining that Playbeat is the problem?

@auxmux said:
    How many samples were loaded in the tests that were performed for drift and with other synths?

In my usage, I have 3 other synths plus various FX going at around 70-80% CPU usage. As soon as CPU spikes higher, things go out sync until I reset transport.

• _ki_ki
    edited October 2019

I clearly get drift in AUM with both PlayBeat and Riffer versus the Metronom and versus a X0X to Ruismaker combination on iPad Pro 10.5 with IOS 13.1.

After 100 bars it's about 1/16 note. This happens both with Link enabled (but no client connected) and disabled.

@j_liljedahl The mysterious thing about that drift is, that checking the stems in Auria Pro reveals that Playbeat (ch1) and Riffer (ch3) are in fact at 120bpm, but Ruismaker driven by X0X (ch4, that was in sync with AUMs metronom) seem to run with only 119.952 bpm ???

This is not a visualization or timing bug of Auria Pro. I verified with Cubasis and looked at the timestamp for bar #101 (2 sec per bar @ 120bpm, 100 bars in => 200sec = 3:20) inTwistedWave. Playbeat and Riffer are on point, whereas Ruismaker is a bit late at 3:20.08

Probably Playbeat & Riffer just check the BPM given by the host and not the song position pointer or midi clock information.

Some time ago i did a sync test with several AUs depending on the host clock (X0X, Autony, Noir, SpaceCraft, Bassline, StepPolyArp) and all stayed in sync over 150 bars - looking at the wav of these stems in Auria Pro i now also see that bpm is minimal less than the bpm in AUM

I attached the AUM session if anyone wants to test:

• Metronom should be enabled (don't know if that saves in a session)
    • Let it run for 6 minutes (about 180 bars) - don't stop/continue as this will resync
    • Solo RuisMaker (ch4) and hear thats it is in sync with the metronom
    • Now solo only PlayBeat (ch1) or RippleMaker (ch3, driven by Riffer) and hear that they are offbeat to the metronom

@Faland, @david_2017 , @CracklePot could you state your system spec and IOS version ?
    And perhaps one of you also test versus X0X/Ruismaker or record all channels of the AUM session >100 bars and then check bar 101 in a DAW or Twisted Wave ?

• Save a couple of presets in the AUM system.
    Let Playbeat run
    change presets a couple of times
    Out of time.

It’s fine using the snapshot selectors along the bottom of the screen

• @CracklePot said:
    I had 4 stock samples loaded, but no other apps, just the AUM metronome.
    You have a lot of variables in your described setup.
    How are you determining that Playbeat is the problem?

@auxmux said:
    How many samples were loaded in the tests that were performed for drift and with other synths?

In my experience, it's the only app that drifts in these scenarios. So perhaps not completely fair that it's the culprit, also would be a logical first guess?

• edited October 2019

@_ki
    iPad Pro 9.7
    Last iPadOS
    I recorded more than 100 bars of the three tracks in AUM and it seems there’s no drift at all.
    Here they are in Cubasis:

• For a realistic test, other apps should be used. As noted by others, Rozeta x0x or Rhythm don't have drift in similar setups. I use those in the same template and have not experienced it, whereas multiple users have noted this with Riffer as well.

I like the app, just wish it didn't have this issue.

• edited October 2019

On an iPad Air 3 running iPadOS 13.1.2, I tested two instances of Playbeat and one Fractal Bits triggered by Rozeta XOX on three tracks, ran the setup for more than 12 minutes, and then recorded four bars of all three tracks in AUM. For each of the track sequences a different sound was triggered on each of the four steps per bar. The blue vertical lines mark each beat (4 bars of 4 beats each for 16 total beats).

• _ki_ki
    edited October 2019

@j_liljedahl From the screenshots it seems that on the iPads without drift AUM is running exactly 120bpm (one would see the offset after 100bars), but on iPads of users experiencing drift the bpm is minimal less than AUM states to run. I don't use an external audio card on my IPad Pro 10.5/IOS 13.1 running at 44100 Hz and 512 buffer.

I don't have any idea where this might come from.