Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Playbeat by AUDIOMODERN EOOD

Comments

• @Audiomodern Awesome! Can’t wait to play with the new features.. thank you..
    Have I mentioned how much I ❤️ Playbeat (+ Riffer)? The random - but oh, so musical results - put a huge smile on my face every time I use them.. just sayin’..

• @royor said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Boy, got this because I loved riffr and it's a huge disappointment. First needs multi-outs, then that randomizer algorithm needs adjustin'. It seems like it's just full on random, with no regard for how instruments (even just kick, snare, hihat) interact with each other. There seemed to be some actual intelligence behind the randomness in riffr, although I guess it's much easier with one track vs. four. Still doesn't justify the quality drop, though.

Kick + snare randomization is.. tricky.. kick especially.. once you’ve fully randomized a beat, try sliding the kick + snare parts left or right 1 beat at a time.. you might get lucky but you may have to edit these randomizations.. erase/add a note here + there.. maybe change the step limits for them.. Playbeat’s default steps per instrument is 6..
    listen.. eventually something will click as a groove.. otherwise.. (see below..)

Dean’s great video on Playbeat.. a must watch..

Randomizing a kick and/or snare is NOT gonna be pretty no matter what app you use.. these 2 instruments are usually part of the foundation of your tune.. you’d probably be better off programming these and randomizing the rest.. hihats + percussion instruments work phenomenally well in Playbeat.. I love using it with Fractal Bits as well.. or any percussion type sounds..
    Imagine trying to dance to a live drummer (?) while he randomly changes the kick and snare constantly with no regard to the song or other player’s parts.. no groove to lock in to.. it would be like dancing to a drum solo.. hey, that might work sometimes.. 🤔 🤪
    Same goes for drum apps..

I ❤️ Playbeat! (+Riffr) (YMMV)

I probably already knew this intuitively, given how often I facepalm while programming drums. It’s nice to be reminded that I probably can’t expect the software to do everything for me :)

• Thank you.

• @Audiomodern said:
    Hello all, i hope you're doing well and safe!

We have published a new update for our Playbeat App, including many suggestions we got from you over the last months.
    It may take some time for version 2.0 to propagate to the AppStore but will be there today.

New features include Density (Randomizable), Pan (Randomizable), New Sequencer length selector (16/32 Steps) and many more which can be found under the 'What's new' section on the App page.

Is there something that we missed? Please send us your comments and requests at [email protected] and we'll make it happen :)

Thank you for your attention and we wish you a creative weekend ahead! ❤

Just updated to the new version, I’m really liking the new randomization features. Thank you 🙏

• @Audiomodern Great update, thanks! Multi-out AU would be epic in the future.

• This app keeps getting better but I have a feature request to allow setting the exact number of steps in the pattern. I often like to write in odd time signatures and would like the option to set the number of steps to allow playing in 5/4 or 7/4 (20 steps or 28 steps).

Keep up the great work!

• @auxmux said:
    @Audiomodern Great update, thanks! Multi-out AU would be epic in the future.

+1

• @Audiomodern Nice update thanks, only negative thing is it's crashing when loading a lot of my saved AUM playbeat presets

• Playbeat Update

• Thanks for the nifty update, @Audiomodern!

• Yea some welcome additions for sure

• @yowza said:
    This app keeps getting better but I have a feature request to allow setting the exact number of steps in the pattern. I often like to write in odd time signatures and would like the option to set the number of steps to allow playing in 5/4 or 7/4 (20 steps or 28 steps).

There is a new sequencer length selector (16/32 steps) that does exactly this..
    Pick the 32 step option then drag the sequence length bar until you have your 20 steps.. or anything else that’s not regular 4/4..

Just tested this in AUM in 5/4 + 20 steps in Playbeat + it worked like a charm.. however, randomization still thinks it’s in full 32 step mode.. so min + max steps gets spread across the 32 steps instead of the more limited 20 steps..

It would be nice if it (randomization) followed the set amount of steps too.. not sure if it’s possible.. I hate to ask after a brand new update but I will.. @Audiomodern ?

• @royor Thanks! I had not figured that out yet.

Is there a way to make every step in a row send the same midi note other than manually change the midi note on each step which is a pain? Each row could be a different drum sound. One row could be kick, another row could be snare etc. I’m not going to load samples into this app but want to trigger sounds in other apps by midi note. Thanks!

• @yowza said:
    @royor Thanks! I had not figured that out yet.

Is there a way to make every step in a row send the same midi note other than manually change the midi note on each step which is a pain? Each row could be a different drum sound. One row could be kick, another row could be snare etc. I’m not going to load samples into this app but want to trigger sounds in other apps by midi note. Thanks!

Go to the Dice and use the Pitch Randomize option.
    To set all steps to a single value, select the track first (toward the left) and in the Pitch Randomizer set the range min/max to the same note (the note you want to assign). Hit random to assign that note to all the steps.
    Repeat for the other 3 tracks, with a new note for each track.
    Turn off Pitch Randomization for each track to keep the pitches the same as you randomize other attributes.

• @yowza said:
    @royor Thanks! I had not figured that out yet.

Yes.. @CracklePot already beat me to it but here’s a screen grab to walk you through it..
    1. Choose a single sequence
    2. Adjust the min + max pitch to the same note (say G3)
    3. Hit the random dice for pitch
    4. Lock the pitch for that single sequence
    5. Repeat

• I see some improvement in the AUv3 implementation, but still wish the following were addressed:
    1. It now shows up as a MIDI destination but not a MIDI source. (Unlike Riffer)
    2. The presets are not exposed to the host (AUM, apeMatrix)
    3. There are no automation parameters exposed to the host (AUM, apeMatrix)
    4. There is some state saving but MIDI outs are not saved

The only way to route MIDI into the host is to route it out from Playbeat, which means the host will never be able to save the routing.

• Thanks to @CracklePot and @royor for your help. I played around with what you described but I never quite got there.

Thanks!

• Hello guys 👋..not working midi clips ableton and playbeat together stop midi clip on ableton and playbeat continue play.like microtonic drag and drop midi..

• This app has some big potential. Nice update! Please keep tweaking it to perfection. 👊

• edited May 2020

Good update, I wish there was an option to randomise kits though. Loading sounds into the slots each time is a bit of a slow process.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Good update, I wish there was an option to randomise kits though. Loading sounds into the slots each time is a bit of a slow process.

Yeah completely agree, drag and drop from Files app would be great.
    iOS sample file based workflow is improving with each ios version but it's still quite frustrating :)

• edited May 2020

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

iOS sample file based workflow is improving with each ios version but it's still quite frustrating :)

It’s the one thing that stops me using it - love the randomisers, and a big fan of Riffer. But loading in each sample is a drag. I know that makes me sound lazy, but so much easier to get going quickly, and then experiment with new combinations, with some other drum apps.

• edited May 2020

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

It’s the one thing that stops me using it - love the randomisers, and a big fan of Riffer. But loading in each sample is a drag. I know that makes me sound lazy, but so much easier to get going quickly, and then experiment with new combinations, with some other drum apps.

Totally agree. Current process ruins the flow. This is why having proper MIDI out via AU MIDI would also be on my list as an alternative "fix". Load samples in an app that supports drag/drop and away we go... pointing the MIDI at fractal bits is fun! So much potential in this one.

• I don’t like loading samples into apps in general which is why I asked for help earlier in this thread getting PB to send midi out to other drum apps. Seems to work fine.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

Agreed. Excellent app now but that would take it from once in awhile to essential.

• The app has just been updated. Now it is possible to save kits (and this is huge!!) and it is also possible to have 32 steps. I love this app and it is now even better!

• Oh, thank god for that! Will use this more now then for sure

• Unfortunately, I just tried and am still having the problem with touch responsiveness that others have also mentioned before. Damn, I hoped this would be fixed. I literally have to stab the screen like a maniac to get it to open a sample. It just doesn’t respond to normal levels of pressure. Anyone else having this? If so, please contact the dev (I already have, but the more the merrier)

• @Gavinski said:
    Unfortunately, I just tried and am still having the problem with touch responsiveness that others have also mentioned before. Damn, I hoped this would be fixed. I literally have to stab the screen like a maniac to get it to open a sample. It just doesn’t respond to normal levels of pressure. Anyone else having this? If so, please contact the dev (I already have, but the more the merrier)

What iPad are you using?
    I have no issues with touch-response with the PlayBeat app or AUv3.
    (iPad Air 2, iPadOS13.5.1)

• @Samu said:

@Gavinski said:
    Unfortunately, I just tried and am still having the problem with touch responsiveness that others have also mentioned before. Damn, I hoped this would be fixed. I literally have to stab the screen like a maniac to get it to open a sample. It just doesn’t respond to normal levels of pressure. Anyone else having this? If so, please contact the dev (I already have, but the more the merrier)

What iPad are you using?
    I have no issues with touch-response with the PlayBeat app or AUv3.
    (iPad Air 2, iPadOS13.5.1)

No prob here too!